Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2021, 12:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Need help in exporting an Ather 450X and Bajaj Chetak to Europe

Hello people, hope you are safe in this pandemic.

I want to export Ather 450X and Bajaj Chetak to Europe. As both vehicles have a Lithium-Ion battery, they fall under the Hazardous category. My exporter is asking for HAZ DG and IIP certificates of these vehicles or their battery to export these vehicles. I asked Ather but they are not willing to provide the same. I haven't contacted Bajaj yet. I have no idea from where I can get these certificates. can anyone guide me to get these certificates? Thanks in advance
tushky is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 17:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Need help in exporting an Ather 450X and Bajaj Chetak to Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
I want to export Ather 450X and Bajaj Chetak to Europe. As both vehicles have a Lithium-Ion battery, they fall under the Hazardous category. My exporter is asking for HAZ DG and IIP certificates of these vehicles or their battery to export these vehicles. I asked Ather but they are not willing to provide the same. I haven't contacted Bajaj yet. I have no idea from where I can get these certificates. can anyone guide me to get these certificates? Thanks in advance
Is this a single number item for personal use or stock in large numbers ? Although on a different vehicle in terms of number of wheels and Engine, there was a thread on how a BHP-ian took his Endeavour over to UK from India. You can check out the thread over here (I exported my Ford Endeavour from India to the UK!). As far as I know, Ather makes it own batteries and you might need the certificate from them. Check out these articles too

Quote:
How do I get an IIP certificate?
The Director-General of Shipping & Directorate General of Civil Aviation, Govt., has launched UN certification, which is mandatory for transportation of all types of Hazardous and Dangerous Goods from Class 1 to Class 9, by Air (as per IATA/ ICAO) & Sea (IMDG Code). For transport by air, a related compulsion has been imposed. The shippers shall review the packaging approved for use in the shipment of hazardous goods by Air & Sea, before it is finally used for the purpose. Certified packaging shall bear the UN marking as specified in the Certificates so that only certified packages are loaded onto the aircraft or into container and finally onto Vessel. UN Certificate are issued by the Indian Institute of Packaging to the manufacturer of packages for the manufacture of any number of packages, after satisfactory testing performance of the sample packages. The period of validity referred to in the certificate means the period during which the production of packages (with the same specifications, product annexure, net & gross weight, mode of shipment & exporter) is allowed. Here’s how to get an IIP Certification or UN Certification.

Step 1: Apply through IIP’s online platform using Login ID & Password issued to the Manufacturer of the packages.

Step 2: Audit Process and Sample Package Preparation and delivery at the nearest IIP Testing Facility.

Step 3: Audit of the specifications at IIP & Testing Process (Drop Test, Stack Load Test, Hydraulic Pressure Test, Cobb Test, Vibration test, etc. as applicable.

Step 4: Issuance of UN Marking Number specified.

Step 5: Issuance of Final Digital UN Certificate and Test Report.
Source: https://www.alfalaahdg.com/iip-certf...ing%20Facility.

Check out this link too : https://www.iip-in.com/

Also check out whether Ather and Bajaj are coming to Europe anytime soon. There were related articles some time back about plans to launch their products in Europe.

1. https://www.indiatimes.com/auto/curr...pe-514457.html

2. https://www.drivespark.com/two-wheel...63-031586.html
TrackDay is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 18:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

I want to export single vehicle. I have a exporter who is going to ship this for me. They also wanted MSDS certificate of a battery to ship this item. Ather has rejected my request to provide these certificates. I have got MSDS certificate from one source.

Now according to the information provided by you, it seems like i need to procure IIP certificate from the person who is going to pack this vehicle for me. It is going to be 'sea worthy wooden package' . I will contact the packaging company and ask about this.

Now still need to see where i can get HAZ DG certificate.
tushky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 06:36   #4
BHPian

If I may ask, why take so much hassle to export while there are good offerings in Europe.

If it's for R&D purpose, usually manufacturers lend a good helping hand (based on my R&D experience).
Thilak29 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 08:34   #5
BHPian

You can ask this company if they are able to help you. I used them previously. Seems knowledgeable in exporting 2 wheelers from India to overseas.

http://www.dolphinseas.com/
no_fear is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 09:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hello people, hope you are safe in this pandemic.

For your particular case you need to provide UN38.3 Safety Certificate which is a test certificate that certifies a particular type of battery pack is safe for shipping. It is an expensive, coveted test report for a particular battery pack sub class, by the manufacturer/ODM and unless that battery pack (in the scooter) was actually meant to be shipped, it is highly unlikely you will get one. As a private entity you will need to submit at least 5-10 samples of the battery for UN38 certificate testing plus it is not inexpensive. I am sorry but you might not be able to export the battery pack loaded scooter at all.

https://www.intertek.com/energy-stor...ation-testing/

You may want to read it.

Lenovo battery test report example :

https://static.lenovo.com/na/social-...594_UN38.3.pdf

A generic cell test report :

https://www.powerstream.com/lip/UN38.3-CP224035.pdf

A pack test report :

https://wirelessdmx.com/wp-content/u...ummary-1.1.pdf

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 11th May 2021 at 09:38.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 20:10   #7
BHPian

Re: Need help in exporting an Ather 450X and Bajaj Chetak to Europe

Quote:
My exporter is asking for HAZ DG and IIP certificates of these vehicles or their battery to export these vehicles. I asked Ather but they are not willing to provide the same.
While I don't have a solution to your problem, I am surprised that Ather is not ready to give that certificate. IMO, they should all be pleased that someone is taking their vehicle to Europe - free advertising. Did they share any reason for it or just denied it?
gischethans is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 10:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gischethans View Post
While I don't have a solution to your problem, I am surprised that Ather is not ready to give that certificate. IMO, they should all be pleased that someone is taking their vehicle to Europe - free advertising. Did they share any reason for it or just denied it?

Maybe its a standard policy, so that their product is not exported to europe for benchmarking by some european firm.

I don't thing anybody would be pleased if someone benchmarked their product and released a similar product in a market even before they themselves could.

Last edited by ZenMaster : 15th May 2021 at 10:08. Reason: Typo
ZenMaster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 12:32   #9
BHPian

Why don't you import them without the Li ion batteries? The packs are probably made by a big battery supplier like Panasonic or something and you could just get new ones from EU.
Unless they are not of the shelf or something.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 13:15   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gischethans View Post
I am surprised that Ather is not ready to give that certificate. IMO, they should all be pleased that someone is taking their vehicle to Europe - free advertising. Did they share any reason for it or just denied it?
Normally MSDS (material safety data sheet) contains info of the specific substances which has probability of creating occupational health & safety hazards, in case of any incident or mis-handling.

Hence, its majorly shared for industrial or organizational uses (or delaers) & not to general customers. It contains almost all data's of the product like -instructions of safe handling, supplier details, composition, spill handling procedures etc.

Since EV industries are in budding phases, with lots of competitors, these sheets can give clear information to competitors about the battery cell & even some competitive edge information's - free of cost. So i believe Ather might not be willing at this stage to share it.
Fiestaboy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 18:47   #11
BHPian

Just a thought - would it be easier for you to ship the scooter & battery separately? Battery can perhaps be flown with someone if allowed.
aashishnb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 22:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestaboy View Post
Normally MSDS (material safety data sheet) contains info of the specific substances which has probability of creating occupational health & safety hazards, in case of any incident or mis-handling.

Hence, its majorly shared for industrial or organizational uses (or delaers) & not to general customers. It contains almost all data's of the product like -instructions of safe handling, supplier details, composition, spill handling procedures etc.

Since EV industries are in budding phases, with lots of competitors, these sheets can give clear information to competitors about the battery cell & even some competitive edge information's - free of cost. So i believe Ather might not be willing at this stage to share it.
Ather clearly said that they don't recommend exporting this scooter. since there are no emission standards like an Internal combustion engine in an EV, I don't see any problem running an Indian electric scooter in Europe. so your point seems valid. However, My transporter said they have got MSDS certificate of Lithium-Ion battery through google search. I haven't seen it yet. but seems like MSDS issue has been resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishnb View Post
Just a thought - would it be easier for you to ship the scooter & battery separately? Battery can perhaps be flown with someone if allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Why don't you import them without the Li ion batteries? The packs are probably made by a big battery supplier like Panasonic or something and you could just get new ones from EU.
Unless they are not of the shelf or something.
if i remove the tyres, headlights etc. and send the vehicle body and removed parts separately then i will may not need HAZ DG certificate. I will confirm this with my transporter.
Old 15th May 2021, 23:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
If I may ask, why take so much hassle to export while there are good offerings in Europe.

If it's for R&D purpose, usually manufacturers lend a good helping hand (based on my R&D experience).
It is for R&D purpose, My client is also first time importing anything like this. I have worked with the client before as their event manager and once i had imported Carpets from China. Hence they want me to work on this assignment also. As i have import export license, i am the one who is going to purchase these vehicles for them and help them in exporting.
Old 16th May 2021, 01:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
if i remove the tyres, headlights etc. and send the vehicle body and removed parts separately then i will may not need HAZ DG certificate. I will confirm this with my transporter.
Hope that will not create any issue with using it as a scooter - registration, etc.
Old 17th May 2021, 16:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

My transporter said that IIP certificate of battery can be obtained from the manufacturer of a battery. However i dont know who manufacturers EV batteries for ATHER and BAJAJ. Only way i can see is contact and convince the dealers to provide me the manufacturer details. However this is possible only after lockdown in Maharashtra gets over.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks