Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2021, 09:07   #1

Bought a new motorcycle | Registered it myself without an agent

I bought a Dominar D400 in Hyderabad, and wanted to share some tips

Background
I've been eyeing the D400 for a few years, and finally made a decision to buy in April 2021. Initially the showrooms were trying to sell off their 2020 stock, but I got a call from Varun Bajaj that they received a batch of 2021 model, and I decided to make the purchase

On road price
I visited a few Bajaj showrooms, and below is a sample of the break up:
  • Ex-Showroom price - Rs. 202755
  • RTO Tax (Road tax, smart card, service charge, etc.) - Rs-. 20250
  • 1 year insurance - Rs. 20320
  • Handling charges - Rs. 830
  • (Optional) Accessories Leg/Saree guard - Rs. 1000
  • (Optional) Agent service - Rs. 1000

Tips
  • When I finally calculated the total RTO tax, it was lesser than what they charged. However, i did not raise this with them, but maybe you can.
  • Don't go for their insurance package. You will get a much better deal on policybazaar for a new bike including Zero Dep. I got it around Rs. 18,000.
  • Handling charges is bogus. I dropped a mail to Bajaj customer care that Varun Bajaj is charging handling charges, and within 24 hours Varun Bajaj sales head called me to say that handling charges is waived off.
  • Accessories like leg saree guard should not be charged extra. I told them to remove it from the bike, but when i took delivery they were installed and they told me they come factory fitted.
  • Agent is not required. The process is quite straightforward in Hyderabad, read below for details.
  • Some other showrooms will give you an extra charge for Temporary registration. TR is just Rs. 150 for a bike. Keep this in mind when you look closely at the breakup and it should be included in the RTO charges.

So, finally I paid the ex-showroom + RTO charges to the showroom.

Registration process
  • Within a few days, the showroom will give you all the documents required for registration like Form 20, 21, 22, TR, Pollution cert, invoice, insurance printout. Kudos to Varun Bajaj in being prompt about this.
  • All you need to add to the above docs is an address proof copy. Aadhar, etc. will do.
  • You need to book a slot online for Rangareddy RTO and show up with all the docs.
  • The first time i visited, the officer told me i need to pay 5% extra tax since it was my second vehicle (i already have a car). This is Rs. 10,200 for the Dominar, and it needs to be paid by Bank DD
  • There are ways to avoid this by registering in someone else's name, but i did not want to do that, since this bike was really a luxury and i agree with the rule of extra tax for more than 1 vehicle per person. I re-booked a future slot and got my DD ready.
  • Next appointment, i showed up at the Kondapur RTO with all the docs and DD. Go to counter 2 to get the payment slip.
  • Go to Counter 3 with the slip to get your photo taken.
  • Finally go to the inspector in the field to submit your documents. Take a pencil to stencil the chasis number on the Form 20 (don't worry if its not proper, no one cares). Read out your chasis number loud in front of the inspector.
  • Carry your PAN and Aadhar original. The inspector asked to check those.
  • You are done. You get a receipt of the payment. Over the next few days, you should get the new registration number from the application status in the Telangana transport dept website. The plates will be delivered to the showroom, and the RC smartcard will be delivered to your residence.

Overall, the registration process was very smooth. Don't employ agents, and pay the extra tax if it's your second vehicle (it's to offset your carbon footprint)

Hope this is helpful for new buyers.
octavius is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 09:25   #2
BHPian

Re: Bought a new motorcycle | Registered it myself without an agent

Congratulations on the purchase and patience to get it registered yourself.
I have registered my S-Cross and Vespa here in Warangal without any agent.
2 observations here.
1) As I waited for the inspector, a tout/guy came and offered to take the stencil print and I obliged, assuming he was a government servant and is included in the fee.
Later he asked for 100 Rs! I said I will not pay a dime and shall complain to RTO as he is not authorised to be in the premises. He sheepishly escaped without a fuss.
Note: The scam here in Warangal is they will not send the Smart card even after months.
On the EMS tracking it shows, card is dispatched but never leaves the RTO.
I had to pay a visit again and ask for it in the computer section. They said it was shortage of blank cards for printing!
Surprisingly, it was delivered 2 days later.
There was an article also that these guys take 500 rs, print and give it immediately.
2) In the same RTO, to fix the number plates for my Vespa the outsourcing guys asked fo 100rs after doing 2 minutes job of fixing the rear number plate.
Once Again I didn't pay and gave them gyaan.
Imagine the amount of money these guys make from gullible common junta every day which is unaccounted for.
Nevertheless our RTO's have come a long way from 90's.
The process is fairly simple if we have time and patience, but somehow these scamsters find a way to fleece customers.
Stay safe. Ride safe
matchvan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 09:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new purchase!

Also, thank you for sharing your experience. This should help a lot of new buyers get an idea of what to expect and how to go about getting their vehicles registered without the assistance of any agent.

This also shows us that the registration process is fairly smooth and can be done on our own. The split-up of all the charges mentioned in the process also allows us to understand where we can possibly save money, by opting away from certain unnecessary expenditure.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th May 2021 at 10:52.
Old 10th May 2021, 10:31   #4
BHPian

Congrats on your Dominar.

It is a pretty much wide practice in Kerala to register the vehicles by the owners themselves without an agent, because the process is very straightforward and there is very little paper work the owner has to do. We registered both our new cars ourselves. On the registration day, you will see a long queue of new vehicles on the checking site with owners near by. Some people do use the services of agents for new vehicle registration, but most do not.

That being said, for other services I prefer using the services of an agent because of the paperwork involved and time saved.

Last week I read that, from now on, all new vehicles will have be sold with complete registration by the dealers.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 11:59   #5

Congratulations on the new vehicle.

It was very satisfying (read discovery if you are doing it for the first time). I was a bit skeptical about the future of this adventure but thanks to Sales Executive and RTO officials. The only thing I had to care about driving my car from Mumbai to Pune without any issue.
Old 10th May 2021, 17:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Dominar D400, it is a wonderful machine and thanks for sharing your experience regarding registration. Will help a lot of folks save their money rather than just give it away in the name of unnecessary dealer charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octavius View Post
The first time i visited, the officer told me i need to pay 5% extra tax since it was my second vehicle (i already have a car). This is Rs. 10,200 for the Dominar, and it needs to be paid by Bank DD
I am afraid I am not familiar with this. Is this something specific for this RTO or State ?

Quote:
Don't employ agents, and pay the extra tax if it's your second vehicle (it's to offset your carbon footprint)
I have heard this before, paying to 'offset carbon footprint' , but is it really a fad ? I really wonder if this works, because once the emission is out of the vehicles (bike/car/jet/Industry) and into the environment how can money return that process ? I suppose in the much more Developed nations that 'money' will find it's way to cleaner energy, but here does it happen ?

Last edited by TrackDay : 10th May 2021 at 17:17.
Old 10th May 2021, 17:42   #7

The 5% extra tax for the second vehicle is a rule in Telangana. I verified this with the showroom, and also by sending a mail to the DTO commissioner email address. Not sure about other states.

Well, offset carbon footprint is of course not on already released gases, it is to help fund initiatives or R&D into creating cleaner vehicles in the future.

I can only do my bit for my country, and my point is that i agree with the logic of the rule. Of course, what get's implemented is another story.
octavius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 19:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
The 5% extra tax for the second vehicle is a rule in Telangana. I verified this with the showroom, and also by sending a mail to the DTO commissioner email address. Not sure about other states.

Well, offset carbon footprint is of course not on already released gases, it is to help fund initiatives or R&D into creating cleaner vehicles in the future.

I can only do my bit for my country, and my point is that i agree with the logic of the rule. Of course, what get's implemented is another story.
Is this 5% cess pan-India or just T.S state for a secondary vehicle?
To be frank, this is the 1st time i have heard of a rule like this, not sure if this applies in Bangalore/Mysore where i reside

Off-topic: If these nimrods are so serious about carbon footprint, they must ideally provide a robust inter-modal transportation connecting inter/intra states.
No point in giving a sub par transport system & then lecturing us about carbon footprint.

Last edited by 1985Darkkid85 : 10th May 2021 at 19:27.
1985Darkkid85 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 08:33   #9

This is also a harsh way to keep fewer vehicles on the road.

5% extra tax on a car is a big amount, surely people will think twice unless it is necessary to purchase a second vehicle (I surely will )
octavius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 23:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:

I bought a Dominar D400 in Hyderabad, and wanted to share some tips

Hope this is helpful for new buyers.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I too feel the process is very straightforward and everyone should be able to do that without any issue.

Just adding my experience as well in Hyderabad RTO(s).

Back in 2016 I had taken my Activa for registration in Sangareddy district RTO office. The showroom guy did tell me that they have a agent who will do the work in 1500 or so, but I wanted to take a try myself and it had gone very smoothly.

You will need to spend half of a day probably (depends on the crowd), but the official are usually very helpful and in any case they ask the owner to be present there. So, there is absolutely no need/benefit to employ any agent here.

I have been to the Rangareddy RTO as well(in Kondapur) recently for renewing my license and did spend sometime to see how the new vehicle registration process works here and it is really as easy as octavius mentioned.

The driving tests are slightly more problematic but me and my wife both got it without any agents so I feel with right type of preparation most people should be able to complete it.
Old 12th May 2021, 00:30   #11
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience. Here in Karnataka the registration (visit to the RTO) is done by the showroom staff itself, it is not a requirement for the customer to visit the RTO. There is no concept of a TR being issued for all new vehicles in Karnataka. If the customer wants a TR for a certain purpose like registration at a different city/town or applying for a number of choice, then it is issued at a cost and is valid for a month post which permanent registration has to be done or TR needs to be extended. The showrooms have something called TC which is used and reused on vehicles that need to be taken to the RTO or while being brought from the stockyard to the showroom. There is no second vehicle rule in Karnataka. Any which ways Karnataka collects the highest road tax in the country I think.
Old 12th May 2021, 11:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
How much does one have to pay if its their 3rd or 4th vehicle? Is it flat 5% or increases?
Old 12th May 2021, 14:23   #13
BHPian

Quote:
The first time i visited, the officer told me i need to pay 5% extra tax since it was my second vehicle (i already have a car). This is Rs. 10,200 for the Dominar, and it needs to be paid by Bank DD

Congratulations on the bike! Wish you unlimited kilometres of happy riding. Hope we get to ride sometime - when the pandemic is over.

I remember I also paid the "extra" life time tax for a 2nd vehicle when I purchased by Bullet in early 2017. However, for the life of me I can't find any mention of the extra tax on Telangana RTO's website - maybe I missed it.

It seems that the Telangana government was considering removing this extra charge some time back. I am not sure what happened.

News article by TOI

Quote:
According to sources, the proposal has been accepted by chief minister K Chandrasekhar Rao. But the new tax system requires cabinet nod and amendment to the Telangana Motor Vehicle Taxation Act. The amendment is expected to be presented in the Assembly during its winter session, official sources said.

“The two per cent additional tax is leading to problems due to various reasons. There were several instances where the vehicle owner's name and that of the father are the same and addresses different. The owners are picking up argument with officials claiming that they do not own a vehicle prior to the purchase of the new one. In some cases, people claim that they have sold their first vehicle and that those who purchased their vehicle have not transferred it on to their name,“ joint transport commissioner T Raghunath said.
Old 12th May 2021, 20:58   #14
BHPian

Congratulation for the new bike!!

I did my calculation by taking info from your write-up but wanted to confirm it from you.
How much you ultimately pay for registration?
How much you ultimately pay total?
Old 13th May 2021, 12:00   #15
BHPian

Congratulation on the new bike!! Looking forward to a long-term ownership thread.

Yes. It is doable now. As long as you are patient and are ready to come back another day.

Renewed the registration of the scooter a few days ago.

A word of caution while buying insurance on the web. The prices are competitive only on lower IDV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks