Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2021, 13:25   #1
BHPian

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review

A long way to the Dominar

How about owning a machine that never runs out of power? What if you don’t have to worry much about its diet? What if you have made an expensive purchase and don’t have to regret about it later? I don’t know what others feel but out of all those all questions mentioned above , I have the answers lying in my gut. After more than one and a half year of owning the mighty Dominar D 400 I don’t think I have made a mistake. Instead I see the D 400 becoming more matured and adaptable as a child does in its lifetime. With a respectable and worry free 10,500 + kilometres I personally feel the D 400 is the best example of superior engineering which is “Made in India’ .

I will happily confess that the D 400 was one of the impulse purchases of my life. It was just a decision which was made out of sheer frustration. No, you all are guessing it wrong. I wasn’t frustrated with my life or job or family. The reason was not getting something that I needed badly at that time. That too was due to the careless attitude of employees of an reputed brand who are known very well in our country for their presence for more than a hundred years. By now you might be guessing something. Yes, it is none other than the legendary brand Royal Enfield. Why I was frustrated? That too has a solid reason. I didn’t get my bike delivered for 9 long months. You read it right. It was an Interceptor 650. I had booked the bike in February 2019. The showroom manager verbally promised me to deliver the bike to me in 60 days. In their booking receipt it was clearly written 120 days. Even after hundreds of follow ups, phone calls and visits, nobody even cared to give me an assurance about something positive. Then came the disaster month May 2019. Super cyclone “Fani” destroyed it all. People, houses, trees, roads, buildings, dreams and nearly everything were in pieces. We had power cut for more than a week. Networks of mobile phones went down. People were struggling for basic things. The State govt was busy cleaning roads, repairing damages and restoring power. I wasn’t worried much about the Interceptor anymore. Now all I needed was a huge machine. I waited few days more for the showrooms to open and lives to normalize. I didn’t want a machine as costly as a Hayabusa but something affordable which would satisfy my thirst for raw power. So, after 15 days electricity were restored in all cyclone affected urban areas. Showrooms began to open. I was too impatient to book something and wait for it anymore.

Going back to March 2019 , I had shortlisted few bikes and visited some dealers. My primary choices were higher CC, power, good engine cooling technology, low height of pillion seat and comfortable riding position. I had shortlisted few bikes, made a note of likes and dislikes mentioned below.

1) TVS Apache RR 310

b) Equipped with superior tech like Electronic Throttle grip, Electronic Throttle Body, Slipper clutch, Reverse inclined DOHC engine, Liquid cooling and oil cooling both in same mill.
c) 34 ps of power.
d) Michelin pilot sport tyres.
e) Bi-led headlight.

Dislikes :
a) High Price.
b) Zero pillion comfort.
c) Low fuel tank capacity of 11 litres.
d) Expensive spares and maintenance.
e) Don’t know about others but I hated the idling exhaust sound.

2) Yamaha R3

b) Sporty exhaust sound.
c) Excellent built quality , fit and finish top notch.
d) Smart riding posture and low rider seat height.
e) Smooth suspension.

Dislikes :
a) Pillion seat too high.
b) Limited colour option.
c) MRF Zapper tyres in a 4 lakh vehicle.
d) High cost of maintenance.
e) No ABS in BS4 Model.

3) Honda CBR 250 :

a) Best in class refined engine I have ever revved.
b) Dual Channel ABS.
c) LED Headlamps.
d) Superb ride quality and handling.
e) No vibration.

Dislikes :
a) Didn’t like the plastic quality.
b) Tail lamp design looks ages old.
c) Dealership takes patience of customers for granted. When I visited then they were ascertain about ordering a bike within stipulated time frame.
d) Unavailability of spare parts.
e) Technical staff will frustrate you with their half baked knowledge.

4)Jawa 42 :

a) Classic looks, superb design, brilliant colour options.
b) Liquid cooled engine with ample power and torque in hand.
c) Best suitable for family rides.
d) Comfortable sitting position for all riding conditions.
e) ABS in single and dual channel options.

Dislikes :
a) Longest waiting period of 6 months. Seemed like I wanted a Rolls Royce instead of a 2 lac rupee bike. The dealership guys were themselves confused about the exact delivery date.
b) Limited dealership range in a tier 2 city like Bhubaneswar.
c) Complaints about bolts rusting from a few owners.
d) A bit of issue for taller riders due to short seat height.
e) I did a test ride and felt the engine to be stressed in high revs. May be Jawa has solved the issue till now.

5)Interceptor 650 :

a) Engine refinement level at its best. Absolutely no vibration anywhere during idling.
b) Upright riding position a boon for both city and long rides.
c) Dual Channel ABS.
d) Mileage.
e) Value for money.

Dislikes :
a) Just an oil cooler in a three lakh vehicle. That too with a dual cylinder. During my test ride I was unsure about the performance of engine in stop and go traffic as I am living in a city where the outside temperature rises to 45 degree Celsius in summer.
b) Seats are too clumsy.
c) Rider footpegs are in awkward position. They hit your ankle now and then.
d) No alloy wheel option then.
e) Regular Halogen lamps instead of LED’s.

6)Kawasaki Ninja 300 :

a) Dual Cylinder liquid cooled butter smooth engine.
b) Slipper Clutch.
c) Design, graphics top notch. Aerodynamically superb.
d) ABS
e) Affordable if you are a real bike enthusiast.

Dislikes :
a) Pillion comfort is a big no no. Also grab rails are absent. The Indian version has the most ugly grab rail .
b) Dealership issues.
c) Uninteresting Console.
d) Mileage is a concern.
e) High cost of Service.

By this time I was tired of visiting too many dealerships and my dilemma was increasing every single day. I had to land at a conclusion fast. I googled for one last time. All of a sudden I saw the Indian Beast. A real black beast ! The Dominar D 400. It looked too good in photos. I face palmed. How could I ignore the beast for so long? Hurriedly I had my lunch and rushed to the dealership. It was around 2 pm and most of the staffs had gone for lunch by then. I looked everywhere in the showroom. The place was full with Platina’s , Pulsars, Avengers, NS’s and RS’s 200. But couldn’t find the D 400. I waited patiently for someone to attend me. In about 15 mins, a guy dressed in blue came to me . I asked him about the D 400. He told that they had only one piece in stock which is in their stockroom. As the dealership was newly opened they hadn’t ordered more, he clarified. I wasn’t much interested in their stories so I told him to show me the bike. He telephoned someone to bring the bike to the showroom immediately. Asking me to sit and wait he got busy in some paper works of his own. Half an hour passed. Now I was getting more and more impatient. Got up from chair and approached the sales guy again. He again called up somebody and scolded him in local language for taking so much time. He requested me politely for wait for another 10 mins. So I took my chair again and got busy in my phone. Just after 3-4 mins I heard a distant roar approaching nearer to me. I suddenly looked outside the showroom glass. My god….!! There she was. A real roaring beast. I was too eager to wait anymore. I nearly tumbled upon something while rushing through the door. I didn’t care who watched me rushing outside. I just wanted to see her. The other guy probably a technician was inspecting the D 400. Another man was cleaning her with a cloth. But I liked the dust settled on her. It was like icing sugar on a freshly baked cake. Speechless for sometime I was. All I wanted was to take her with me immediately. The sales guy explained me in detail about the bike. 373 cc, single cylinder, liquid cooled, 40 PS power, light adaptive LCD display, dual channel abs, LED headlights, turn lights and rear lights and much more. I hardly found any flaws in the first sighting of the D 400. Mileage ? Well who cares when you are crazy for power.

It just took me minutes to take my decision. It was final. The D 400 was my new set of wheels for next few years. I told the showroom people to prepare the documents asap. I planned to take the delivery on my Son’s birthday on 24th May i.e 2 days later.

The Delivery Day :

I called up the showroom exactly at 10 am. I got to know they were yet to receive the number plate from RTO. But they also assured that it will be done by 4pm same day itself. Hence I had to wait for 6 hours more to get my hands on the beast. So I got busy in the preparations for my son’s birthday.
It was nearly 5 pm when I got call from showroom. “ Sir, the bike is ready”. One of the most awaited words of my life. I rushed to the showroom which was only 3 km’s away from home. I was handed over the bike’s documents. But the beast was nowhere to be seen. I asked the showroom manager about the bike and the reply was ‘ Sir its downstairs. You can take it.” My goodness, was that a weird way of delivering a premium bike. Professionalism is what Bajaj Dealers should learn. Anyways my happiness was way above to care about such attitude. I went downstairs and saw the service person fixing the number plate. I was already late for my son’s birthday party celebration.
I was handed over the keys and manual book. No cake cutting, no ribbons, and no photographs. Perhaps the worst delivery of a 2 lakh rupee bike anyone can expect.

The First Ride :

I grabbed the sleek but strong handlebar of the D 400 and sat on it. It felt huge. The weight of the bike was just crazy. I carefully lifted it up from its side stand. Urrgghhh...it was just too heavy. Turned on the ignition. The white LCD display was crystal clear in the bright daylight. I pressed the starter switch & Roar…just wow. The single cylinder engine gave the feeling of a twin cylinder. Bidding a good bye to the sales guy I proceeded towards my home. I found the bike too powerful to handle as a first timer. But as the speedometer clocked 40 kmph it felt too light just as a 150 cc. Anyways I had to wait 999 kilometres more in order to test its full capacity. I arrived home and got busy in celebrating my sons birthday.

Day 2 :

After a sleepless night and dreaming about the beast in open eyes I just couldn’t resist the temptation of staring at it for a longer duration in the first sunlight of the morning. I hurriedly finished my morning to do list and at exactly 8 am started for a ride. I ventured towards Bhubaneswar Cuttack highway which was a long 20 km stretch. I felt raw power in my wrist while cruising in 50-60 kmph. Not to mention the Engine being a single cylinder did make a considerable noise but after 70 kmph it is refined as butter. One can easily feel the vibration in tank and footpegs while idling. Once the engine is revved to 3000 rpm the vibration disappears.

USAGE :

I mostly use the bike for City rides. As I am onto b2b business hence I often need to stop in each and every shop in my frequent market visit. I never felt the bike exhausted in any type of ride environment. She never skids in sand and mud. My daily usage pattern is around 20-30 km a day except weekends. I took her for a long ride to Gopalpur situated 165 kms from Bhubaneswar. I had never tested her top speed till then. I think it was all she wanted. Once I found a empty road she had already finished her warm up till then. One twist of throttle and 5 gears up. I reached 134 kmph within few seconds. Apparently I felt high level of mind blast on my chest because of the tiny visor. Still then she managed to go rock steady. I admit , cornering was not so thrilling because of the tires I suppose. May be I was a bit over cautious.

ENGINE HEAT :

Even if the D400 is equipped with a large radiator , engine heat is negligibly felt. In the scroching 45 degree celsius heat of Bhubaneswar the radiator fan kicks in often. Also I never felt discomfort in my legs because of the hot air from radiator. It simply vanishes onto other directions.

FIT , FINISH AND BUILT QUALITY :

The paint job on the D 400 is praiseworty. No cheap plastics anywhere except the one on the sides of main instrument cluster. Tank plastic feels heavily built and crafted with perfection. So as the logos. No sharp edges anywhere except the rear brake lever.

HANDLEBAR & SWITCH GEAR

The handlebar is placed appropriately for a straight riding position. I didn't feel any pressure on my ankles or shoulders even if I rode her for 110 kms straight without pause. The switch gears seem like that of my old Pulsar 180 but are a bit better. No self cancelling indicators though. Put the switch in parking mode for day ride where only the high beam and tail light will glow along with meter console lights. You cannot use the high, low beam function in this mode.

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

The primary an secondary console displays all the necessary data as and when needed. No fancy and unnecessary things here. The ABS warning light will glow constantly whenever the ignition is turned on. It goes of after the bike achieves 05 kmph. Fuel gauge is very accurate and when it reaches 2 bars the console will display " Low fuel warning". In one bar "Refuel" option will be displayed. You can also program the console to display Gear position which is a good thing. By default the secondary display has a gear indicator too. But to look onto it you have to shift your eyes from the road which is often a scary thing to do. Not to mention but the display is crystal clear in bright sunlight. It has a adaptive display which adjusts the light according to the outside condition.

HEIGHT & GROUND CLEARANCE

The saddle height of rider is ok for persons who are more than 5 ft 6" . I am 5 ft 11" and still I can't rest my foot completely on ground. Pillion also doesn't struggle much to climb on it. But the rear seat is a discomfort for long rides. In big humps also the bike doesn't scratch its underbelly even when 2 persons weighing 90 kgs are on board.

MIRRORS

RVMs in the D400 provide adequate visibility. Mirrors don't vibrate even the engine is revved hard. They are hard to adjust but once done they don't bulge from their places.They also give a premium look to the bike.

HEADLAMPS

The all LED headlights are beautifully crafted. They provide very bright illumination both during day and night in full beam. The spread of the light are both long and wide. They look stunning in the night time.

ENGINE PERFORMANCE, GEAR SHIFT & CLUTCH

The torquey engine is an all rounder. Being a single cylinder it doesn't give the refinement of a twin but the performance is something that you won't be unhappy of. No matter in which gear you accelarate , the D400 will never stall. Achieving a 100 kmph is no big deal in normal riding condition. The slipper clutch makes de-accelarating a lot easier and a jerk free gear shift also accompanies. A slight vibration is felt in tank in 2500-3500 RPM which vanishes once the speed reaches 45-50 kmph. However the clutch cable will seek replacement in around 1.5 years. Also while engaging the 1st gear a loud thud is felt and the bike jolts an inch forward. But ultimately one will get used to it.

FUEL EFFICIENCY

Frankly speaking I haven't calculated the mileage till date. But in a tankful of gas the D400 manages 300 kms. I assume the figure is around 22-24 kmph in city.

SUSPENSION

The strong mono suspension handles potholes and humps promptly. Me at around 88 kg didnt find the suspension discomforting me anytime. Also with two people on board the D400 doesn't feel burdened. No bumpy rides in any speeds.

HANDLING

Being a heavy bike its very easy for a D400 rider to maneuever it through any condtion of traffic. I don't need to step my foot on the ground as most of the time as the bike balances herself. Also in high speeds the bike is very easy to steer thorugh the traffix ahead. Well you need to be careful while starting from standstill with a pillion on board. Most of the time I end up frightening the pillion whenever I put the bike in low gear and try to revv it up again.

Few things which I noticed during my first 1000 kms ride :

1) Engine is not as refined while idling and there is a continuous fluctuation in RPM.
2) Burning smell fresh paint will irritate you till first 500 km.
3) Knocking sound of rocker arm in engine head is common in all Bajaj bikes. Don’t forget to adjust it in the 1st servicing itself.
4) The bike is heavy. Be careful while parking it in congested places. Also avoid parking it in inclined surfaces. You will end up burning good amount of calories while pulling it backwards.
5) If you care about mileage then my sincere advice to you all, don’t buy the D 400.
6) While getting off the bike , be cautious about the rear brake lever. It may injure your leg.
7) The dual channel ABS combined with 320 mm disc in the front and 230 mm rear will be a great confidence factor for rider. I am addicted to using only front brake most of the time which is not so good thing to do.
8) Fuel gauge is very accurate. You can have a worry free refuelling.
9) Pillion seat is too hard and unfit for long distance travel.
10) Upgrade the handle bars rubber to a better one. I have noticed my palms getting black after riding for sometime when without gloves.

1) Big Bike Feel. Gives the rider unmatched confidence about its power & handling.

2) Really a superb design by Team Bajaj. Heads do turn towards the bike while you are stopping in a traffic.

3) Large front forks provide stability in all riding conditions.

4) Slipper clutch and dual channel ABS ensures a smooth ride in any gear.

5) All LED lights bright both during day and night.

6) Value for money.

DISLIKES :

1) Weight. Requires lot of leg power while dragging it. Guys ! If you want to own one then go to the gym & focus on Squats.

2) Only two color options i.e Matt black & green for the 2019 model.

3) Low capacity fuel tank of only 13 litres.

4) MRF Tubeless tyres don't suit the overall athestics of bike.

5) Uncomfortable pillion seat.

6) Shortage of technicians having expert knowledge in the D 400.

The maintenance cost(s):

Well, the D 400 isn’t a big elephant to feed. Subtracting the fuel costs it won’t really make a hole in your pocket in the case of Service and Spares. But there are a few things that future D 400 owners may keep in mind in the 10 K kilometre run.

a) The rear disc started making sound during 4500- 5500 kms. I had to replace it in ASS.
b) The clutch cable was replaced at 7500 kms.
c) Not to mention the Rocker arm was adjusted in every servicing. Still the tik tik sound persist till now.
d) The MRF zapper tyres don’t make me feel confident in cornering. But they do their job well in most of the conditions.
e) Please avoid heavy water servicing of wheels. Possibly the discs will start making noise earlier.
Few mod jobs that I have done are :
a) Replaced the traditional leg guards with frame sliders ordered online.
b) Also replaced the factory fitted radiator guard with a custom aluminium one.
c) Fitted a hazard warning indicator relay and a extra switch for occasional highway riding.

Now the time for some pics with captions.
Note : These are recent photographs after completing 10 K kilometres.

There she is. Standing in full glory.

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_165639.jpg

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_165909.jpg

The "Roar" comes from the double barrel exhaust , one of its kind.

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_115836.jpg

The Single cylinder 373 cc engine is reliable and powerful. Even after continuous revving and achieving 135 kmph top speed in many occasions there is no sign of oil leakage from any part of engine.

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_121855.jpg

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_120002_compress67.jpg

The 320 mm disc in the front is the God of Braking. I have never lost my confidence in emergency stopping.

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_120040.jpg

The rear brake started giving me problems as early as 5500 kms. Be careful of water accumulation while washing.

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_120053.jpg

The full LED headlight is bright in daylight and super bright at night. The throw is sufficient in both city and highway driving.

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_120254_compress63.jpg

The Oxygen Sensor

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_120306.jpg

Vibration free RVM's. Some force is needed to adjust them though.

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_120418_compress9.jpg

The secondary display is different from that of old model Dominar. One will rarely use it.

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_120447.jpg

This portion will accumulate some water and obviously rust. Regular cleaning is required.

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_120554.jpg

The large radiator performs its job well. That's the aftermarket aluminium mesh that I had ordered online.

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_120722_compress96.jpg

The fat front USD forks are a winner in handling potholes and humps. They look macho too.

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_120747.jpg

Fuse assembly inside pillion seat.

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_120952.jpg

Different display modes of the digital cluster when the ignition is switched on.

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_121046.jpg

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_121130.jpg

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_121137.jpg

Chain needs regular cleaning, adjustment in every 1000 km and oiling in every 500 kms.

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_121233.jpg

LED indicators and tail lights.

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_121347.jpg

Tyres are good to go for another 10k kilometres. Only one puncture till date.

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_121414.jpg

Compact saree guard without footrest.

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210501_121937.jpg

NOW TIME FOR SOME NIGHT SHOTS:

The LED headlights in full power

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-1620663200444.jpg

In Low beam

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-1620663200438.jpg

In Parking mode

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-1620663200415.jpg

While turning on the ignition, a full system check is performed. Quite satisfying to look onto

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-1620663200451.jpg

Road view in Full Beam

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-1620663200392.jpg

Road view in low beam

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-1620663200385.jpg

The backlit switchgear

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-1620663200421.jpg

Thats all for now friends. Will keep you updated in the coming days. Do post your views and comments.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th May 2021 at 05:35. Reason: Extra smileys deleted
arunabh2424 is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 06:59   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 10:03   #3

Re: The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review

That's a wonderful review. I also own the Dominar 2019 model.

This is one potent machine, having driven the RE 350 and the Pulsar 220 before. I have had service done only at the authorized service station and has costed me around 800-2k depending on the consumables.

The only issue I have faced is that one time the revs got stuck. Even in neutral the revs were at a good 4000 rpm without any throttle input. Have you faced anything of that sort?
And the service interval of 6 months is almost killing me now.

Happy munching more miles!!
dhruv.bansal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 10:27   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

arunabh2424, congratulations on completing 10,000 kms with your Dominar 400. While Indian enthusiasts are usually more gaga about the Duke 390, and with good reason, I find that it is too much of a handful in Indian conditions. The Dominar 400, despite using the same engine, seems to be much more in tune with Indian conditions and usage, as evidenced by your ownership review. I have several friends here who own Dominars and though there are some minor issues here and there, overall, they are very happy with the bike, especially for touring comfortably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunabh2424 View Post
4) MRF Tubeless tyres don't suit the overall athestics of bike.
Some of my friends have shifted to Apollo H1s and are very happy with the tires. When it comes time for you to replace your bike's tires, do consider the Apollos as a top priority.

Quote:
a) The rear disc started making sound during 4500- 5500 kms. I had to replace it in ASS.
b) The clutch cable was replaced at 7500 kms.
Was the rear disc replaced under warranty? Also what prompted the change in the clutch cable?
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 10:30   #5
BHPian

Nice write up.
I am the one like you who loves to study the options but take decision based on impulse.
To be honest the current situation and WFH doesn't warrant any commuting and hence I held back my purchase.
Otherwise I would have definitely have gone ahead with D 400 or D250.
I am willing to start weekend highway runs and long tour after an year or so and Dominar seems the perfect partner.

I also had Himalayan on my mind but somehow I am not convinced fully.
Let's see when Dominar calls me.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 10:59   #6
BHPian

In 2021, the Dominar 400 is perhaps the most rounded and value for money motorcycle under 2.5 lakhs. It is simply an underpriced Duke 390. It looks imposing. Two things that Bajaj does right is the design and the exhaust note. In 2017, I was simply awestruck when I first rode the D400. The exhaust sound in the older model was simply out of this world. Loved revving it. My cousin bought it then. But the long term ownership was not good. With the timing chain failing in just 2 years, engine started making a very sad noise. Along with numerous other niggles. That was a known issue in pre 2020 bikes and I'm told that it is recalled in the new units. Being a manufacturing defect it should be repaired under warranty right? Bajaj ASS charged him for the full amount with labour. He still rides it, and loves it.
Also, I recommend you find a good outside mechanic to service your bike or take it to KTM service. Do not take it to Bajaj service after warranty expires. Those people are bunch of monkey with wrenches in their hands with no respect for one's property.

Anyways, I wish you many more adrenaline-fueled rides with your beast. Keep us posted

Last edited by DriverNo.420 : 11th May 2021 at 11:03.
DriverNo.420 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 11:33   #7

Great and a Value for money bike from Bajaj. Congratulations on the purchase. Wishing you thousands of Happy Miles.
amey_tade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 12:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

Some of my friends have shifted to Apollo H1s and are very happy with the tires. When it comes time for you to replace your bike's tires, do consider the Apollos as a top priority.

Was the rear disc replaced under warranty? Also what prompted the change in the clutch cable?
Thanks a lot. Well , I had planned to upgrade to Apollo H1 but to my bad luck it isn't easily available in Bhubaneswar. In next 5 K km's I will definitely find out a way to source it.

Coming to the rear disc replacement, unfortunately normal wear and tear parts are not covered under warranty by Bajaj. But to my relief the rear disc shoe cost was very nominal and I didn't feel that arguing with the showroom guys for this will be justified.

The clutch cable started jamming in around 5 k km's. But still lasted for 1500 km's more. I changed it immediately when the gearshift was affected. May be water logging was the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruv.bansal View Post

The only issue I have faced is that one time the revs got stuck. Even in neutral the revs were at a good 4000 rpm without any throttle input. Have you faced anything of that sort?
And the service interval of 6 months is almost killing me now.

Happy munching more miles!!
Thanks. No , I haven't faced any such issues as you have mentioned. May be a faulty accelerator cable is the culprit. Well yes , one small issue I have faced is the engine suddenly turning off in 1st and 2nd gear. A tech expert told me that it might be due to adulterated fuel or water accumulation in fuel tank. Anyways I ignored it at that moment and now the problem is gone.

Last edited by vb-saan : 11th May 2021 at 13:47. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
arunabh2424 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 13:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations arunabh for the Dominar!

I also own one since 2017 and clocked around 38k kms till March 2020 last year. Since lockdown, riding has been minimal and shifted to driving.

The Dominar is a true underdog which is let down big time by the Bajaj sales and after sales team. Even I had purchased the bike on an impulse without even a test ride and had a no frills delivery experience. But it was the product I was after and absolutely love it to bits!

Have had no major niggles and the bike has stood by me in pouring rains or scorching sun.

Big advantage for Dominar is real cheap spares along with the disadvantage of lack of parts or service centers. Even in a metro like Mumbai, finding a reliable A.S.S is difficult so have been scouting for good FNG's.

For tyres I am currently using Michelin Pilots changed around 25k kms and they offer excellent grip and performance.

Ride safe and keep updating the thread!

My Ride:
Attached Thumbnails
The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20201115_124654.jpg  

Maverick5490 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 18:26   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Big advantage for Dominar is real cheap spares along with the disadvantage of lack of parts or service centers. Even in a metro like Mumbai, finding a reliable A.S.S is difficult so have been scouting for good FNG's.

For tyres I am currently using Michelin Pilots changed around 25k kms and they offer excellent grip and performance.

Ride safe and keep updating the thread!

My Ride:
That's a very well maintained D400. Yes , you have rightly told about the spare parts costs. Even while booking the bike, I was unsure of the maintenance. But after the second service the doubts began to clear up. Likewise , I seriously feel the importance of upgrading to new sets of tyres. In addition, the issues of ASS are undeniable. I have found a more reliable mechanic outside the showroom who is very knowledgeable about the bike. But as long as the warranty is concerned , I will stick to the ASS for a few months more before handing over the bike to an outsider.
Old 11th May 2021, 21:01   #11
BHPian

Quote:
A long way to the Dominar
Congratulations on the purchase. The D400 is one of the finest bikes to experience India. I have first hand experience of riding my white D400 K2K in 2017. Today 4 years and 40K kms later I still keep mine in my garage even though other (bigger) bikes have come and gone.

Couple of pointers

1. You may face some vibes around the plastic, feel free to use 3M double sided tape around the headlight shroud and under the tank.

2. Switch to a more durable chain wax ( Maxima) that will last 700-800 kms.

3. I am not sure if the main stand can be fitted on the new model but Shayadri moto makes one for the old models.

4. If you feel the windblast is too high, check out the windscreens on offer from either carbon racing or lluvia. (We were the guinea pigs)
Attached Thumbnails
The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-dsc_1018.jpg  

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20170625_110515.jpg  

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20170711_17065201.jpeg  

The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20170715_144530.jpg  

adityasiera is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 21:30   #12
BANNED

Casual question - once the bike manufactures get the engine and frame and mechanicals right, does it make sense to offer the same in two trims? Like a laid back cruiser styling as well as the racy sports bike that it is now?

I was reading this thread out of curiosity and while the positives listed by the experienced biker folks are heart warming, the styling puts me off. Not my type.
Old 11th May 2021, 21:55   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
Congratulations on the purchase. The D400 is one of the finest bikes to experience India. I have first hand experience of riding my white D400 K2K in 2017. Today 4 years and 40K kms later I still keep mine in my garage even though other (bigger) bikes have come and gone.
Wow, seeing your D400's I am now much more excited about doing few more mod jobs in the near future. Also the Dominar looks too good if you spray some mud into it. Touring was my childhood dream. For the same purpose I had bought the bike. But due to the ongoing Pandemic situation & the sudden lockdown's /shutdowns I am heartbroken right now. Hopefully we all come out of these soon and I also can post some of the touring experiences in the D400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
Couple of pointers

1. You may face some vibes around the plastic, feel free to use 3M double sided tape around the headlight shroud and under the tank.

2. Switch to a more durable chain wax ( Maxima) that will last 700-800 kms.

3. I am not sure if the main stand can be fitted on the new model but Shayadri moto makes one for the old models.

4. If you feel the windblast is too high, check out the windscreens on offer from either carbon racing or lluvia. (We were the guinea pigs)
Well thanks a ton for the valueable inputs. Kindly PM me the online links where these are available. I would be obliged.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th May 2021 at 05:55. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 12th May 2021, 11:36   #14
BHPian

Well, it’s a great machine in many terms and i ended up buying this to a couple of years back! I was moving away from a classic 350 which I rode for 8 years! I wanted to switch bike and brands. Went cross shopping everything under 3L and the KTM is a sharp machine but it felt like an overkill for my requirements. Also Dominar was a great VFM proposition. I’ve had a blast with my machine while we used to live in normal times. My office was connected via expressway and I used to be excited to go to office!
Windshields don’t actually help but makes the matters worse sometimes. I’ve the one installed by CR! It’s great in terms of the aesthetics but functional? Not so much.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-deb884c6515b4b069b6b12c41de889e7.jpeg  

bhansali_hardik is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 11:58   #15
BHPian

Dominar 400 is a half-baked masterpiece from Bajaj/KTM slab.

After loads of RE & Pulsars in my stable, D400 was the first performance motorcycle (at least coming from 350/500 REs, this one was powerful indeed ) in my possession.

I bought one in February 2017, the first batch which is usually termed as the part-time customer and a beta tester for the OEM. But after 4 years and 50k kms+ on odo the motorcycle served me very well and I'm quite satisfied with it along lots of **asterisks followed.

After going through this review, though I can share also my 4-year journey with this amazing motorcycle here very soon.

Here's a teaser of my baby after crossing 50k mark and it still look new to me
The Bajaj Dominar D400 | 10,000 km Review-img_20210131_125148.jpg
starke is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks