Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2021, 11:05   #16
BHPian

Re: Motorcycle Restoration | Beginner's Guide

That red RX looks swell! Great effort in resurrecting the legend. As GTO mentioned restoring is a tedious process and it's absolutely worth it at the end of the restoration.

I regret selling my father's restored RX100 and wish I can get it back.

Made in Japan means the bike is made between 1985-87.

Keep it as long as you can!

This was the restored RX
Motorcycle Restoration | Beginner's Guide-dsc04517.jpg
jithin23 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 13:16   #17
BHPian

Very nice Mr Boss. Thank you.
I have a problem with my Yexdi 1976 Model, in excellent condition. Deven iccasionall, because I'm not able to get registration done in Mumbai. It was last registered in Bangalore, while serving in the IAF.
Anyone can help. ?
My email <alanrcjee@gmail.com>

Thanking you.

fossilalan
fossilalan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 14:22   #18
BHPian

I too did restoration of my RX-135 recently & understood 2 valuable things as below:

1. If we are passionate or have sentiments towards the bike - better we need to be nearer with the Mechanic to ensure work is coming up as we want. Once these restoration work starts, Mechanics will have doubts/request to do additional work on few parts -which we wouldn't have discussed/thought of during the start (esp because they will be seen only after dismantling the bike).

2. As GTO mentioned, we need to settle our mind with 8/10 perfection. i always love to have bikes & cars in stock condition & in my case he changed few additional parts like odometer etc. which was working fine, but just to ensure overall vehicle look harmonious after restoration & hence now the odo reading starts with zero. i was little upset for few months, but now came out of it.
Fiestaboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 14:25   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the kind words guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Now that investment feels like Gold but just like household Gold one will never sell it no matter what
That's a good collection of spares.
Consume the rubber parts if possible, they have limited shelf life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
I regret selling my father's restored RX100 and wish I can get it back
This was the restored RX
Beautiful piece of machine.
Wish you get it (or a similar one) back

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossilalan View Post
I'm not able to get registration done in Mumbai. It was last registered in Bangalore, while serving in the IAF.
This thread may help you.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4972748 (Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.)
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 14:47   #20

This is pretty cool. I had a query though if any of you enthusiasts have built a 50CC dirt bike? I mean I see the frame and other body kit is available in the market for as less as 7k to 10k. I was wondering if it makes sense to mount a TVS50 engine onto this frame. The idea is to engage my 10yr old during his summer break and also to introduce him to riding(in a close circuit with proper gear). Appreciate hearing thoughts from you all!
Dilipchandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 14:53   #21
BHPian

Thank you. The Bangalore RTO wants me to bring the vehicle to Bangalore from Mumbai, if I want NOC. I'm 75 years old.
They say they cannot give the NOC unless Fitness Cert. is given by them. Because the vehicle is 1976.
So I'm stuck. Then Covid in between.
Is there any way I can write to any higher authority who can allow the vehicle to checked out here in Mumbai and the get me registration.
After sometime I may not be able to use the vehicle, myself. . .
Thanks.
fossilalan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 17:37   #22
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing thread Sir! You really are the boss. I wish your thread had come in a year ago when I made the decision to completely restore my 94 RX100. The first job done on the RX was a resto-mod way back in 2015-2016. Only cosmetic. Over the years I realised I should have done a mechanical restoration first. Anyways it was never too late. Last year gave me good enough time to think over What I wanted to do. Thoughts went on from
1. selling the RX and accepting that I will never ever be able to get one in the future
2. Do a partial restoration - mechanically.
3. Doa comptele restoration.

finally went with option 3 and stunted enquiring about a complete rebuild (mechanical + cosmetic). Budgets ranged from 50-75k for a complete restoration. probably thats also the reason we seeprices of restored RX's spiralling upwards of 1 lakh.

Got a few contacts for OE and OEM spares and ordered almost 30 kilos worth of parts. Then came the wheels and spokes and clutch parts. Then came the " Who' - I have my hands burnt on so called experts who change a lot and almost mess the motorcycle up. This time I really wanted the engine /gearbox rebuilt by a professional. So took it to Yogi Chhabria from YC Design to work out his magic. The complete job took almost a week and included the rebuild+ new tank + some needed parts. It cost me almost what a new RX costed way back - but I have never heand my RX feel and sound so good. Still in its running period now.

Once that is done, all the new parts will go in.

I am just waiting to confirm all the parts that I need and order it from the contact you shared with me. Thanks Ma. BOSS!!
v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 08:38   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilipchandra View Post
any of you enthusiasts have built a 50CC dirt bike?
The idea is to engage my 10yr old during his summer break and also to introduce him to riding(in a close circuit with proper gear).
I couldn't recall any custom bike build here, except for a pocket bike (out of TVS Scooty ES) I started sometimes ago but couldn't complete for various reasons.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...scooty-es.html (Building a 'Pocket Bike' out of a TVS Scooty ES)

A similar one was successfully done by svsantosh
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...cket-bike.html (She runs! TVS Scooty converted to a Pocket Bike)

I suggest getting a fully built bike will be more economical unless you have a donor bike and competent cheap labor or enough tools and facility for DIY already in place. Here is a old thread on similar subject and check if Praveen could help you out with the bike
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post1092081 (Pocket Bikes and Pocket Bike racing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossilalan View Post
The Bangalore RTO wants me to bring the vehicle to Bangalore from Mumbai, if I want NOC.
Is there any way I can write to any higher authority who can allow the vehicle to checked out here in Mumbai and the get me registration.
Yes, that's the standard process (Vehicle along with the current owner as per RC should be in person at source RTO get the NOC)
Let's wait for someone knowledgeable in this process who could explain if there is any official deviation allowed. Otherwise check with any RTO agents in Bangalore who could support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The first job done on the RX was a resto-mod way back in 2015-2016. Only cosmetic. Over the years I realised I should have done a mechanical restoration first.
Once that is done, all the new parts will go in.
I am just waiting to confirm all the parts that I need and order it from the contact you shared with me.
Thanks for the compliments.
Cosmetic upgrade is the very first mistake from many of us and it hardly takes some time for us to regret. Anyways, hope the machine is doing good now. Wishes for the full fledged restoration.

Let me know if I could be of any help.
Mr.Boss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 11:04   #24
BHPian

I would like to thank you Mr Boss for your efforts in compiling this thread. Newbies like me hardly know where to start and mostly fail in the restoration but threads like stop us from getting scammed and wasting money. My 1st RX100 that was restored in 2017 turned out to be total fail. New Clutch plates broke in less than 300 kms of restoration, Paint job was horrible, lots of problems with the electricals etc etc. I was so unhappy that I sold the bike with in 2 years. Though I ended up in loss, I did learn what not to do when restoring a motorcycle.
utkarshshukla92 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 09:43   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestaboy View Post
I too did restoration of my RX-135 recently
Please do share the restoration experience and snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestaboy View Post
Once these restoration work starts, Mechanics will have doubts/request to do additional work on few parts
100% true. Look at the number of calls on a single day (only a part of call history in here)
Motorcycle Restoration | Beginner's Guide-screenshot.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkarshshukla92 View Post
My 1st RX100 that was restored in 2017 turned out to be total fail.
You are not alone
My first restoration was also a failure I would say (Frame painting was not good, platting peeling off and started rusting at many places, changed so many parts which could have been used), but still retaining the bike for some sentimental values. It is due for next fitness renewal by end of this year and I wish the pandemic settles down so that I could do a proper restoration before FC.

Wish you had retained the bike. I know a handful of people who regretted after selling 2 strokes.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 10:01   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Wish you had retained the bike. I know a handful of people who regretted after selling 2 strokes.
Though I regret selling my 1st RX100 as it was my 1st motorcycle and I have many memories attached to it and mom loved it too, God has been very kind to me as now I have two RX135 and and another RX100 which I got a week ago.

Last edited by utkarshshukla92 : 6th May 2021 at 10:02. Reason: Broken quotes
utkarshshukla92 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 13:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
That's a good collection of spares.
Consume the rubber parts if possible, they have limited shelf life.
Thank you. I have done many cosmetic changes and also a lot of work has gone in the engine to produce more power. So, I have the new block piston set along with a new exhaust and air box (OE box has holes drilled in for more airflow), which I may use if and ever I feel like going back and riding a stock RX 135 (engine wise at least)

The rubber parts I haven't used any and they seem to be holding on well along with the manifolds. A spare crank and oil pump have been lubed with oil and stored to avoid any rusting.

This is how my 135 looks now after the latest cosmetic restoration.

Motorcycle Restoration | Beginner's Guide-img_2505.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Cosmetic upgrade is the very first mistake from many of us and it hardly takes some time for us to regret. Anyways, hope the machine is doing good now.
The engine is the soul of the motorcycle and its important its in good health. Many who buy these used two stroke try and avoid doing a complete engine rebuild or maybe do a semi rebuild to avoid costs. Even if you change your piston to a next oversize, without changing your connecting rods or crank bearings then that is a disaster waiting to happen, as the extra power the new piston makes will damage any weaker parts which cannot take the extra load. Even a simple decarb can increase power in these two strokes tremendously.

Also, another important point to remember is to get your jetting in your carbs right after every rebuild especially when going with oversize pistons. With every oversize the main jet will get slightly richer as the surface area of the piston has increased which create more fuel mixture been sucked in. A lean mixture is what one needs to avoid as this will make your engine run hot and subsequently your piston will get seized and just like a new bike following the running in position is very important along with the first oil change and please don't ride it like you have stolen it immediately after a rebuild.
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 19:20   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Another 'to be avoided' practise, plugging the manifold with cotton waste
Picking it from my own thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5077054

Motorcycle Restoration | Beginner's Guide-28.jpg

Small threads and bits used to get inside the manifold, sometimes I myself witness the threads getting stuck at the reed valve.
It is better to plug the manifold with a clean cloth.
Old 27th August 2021, 14:38   #29
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of restoring, or I should rather say resurrecting my Yamaha RxZ 1998 (4 speed). Got hold of all the parts except the visor and engine guard. By bikes colour is maroon and I want to keep it that way. I managed to purchase a pair of side covers and the tail cover of the same colour. Both these parts (visor & engine guard) are not available in my city. I would like to know if I can have them shipped from places like bangalore or Cochin. Your help will be highly appreciated.
Old 27th August 2021, 17:01   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_passat View Post
visor & engine guard
Google : Seana Auto Spares
https://www.instagram.com/seana_auto_spares/?hl=en

If not, try the FB groups

Motorcycle Restoration | Beginner's Guide-001.png

Motorcycle Restoration | Beginner's Guide-002.png

PS: I'm not related with any of these sellers, except for positive experience in past with Seana Auto Spares
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed