Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2023, 09:25   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Suzuki Access 125 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
- Even after riding for less than a Km it happened twice. After keeping it idle for few hours it starts normally with few kicks.
- This seems like Access' signature issue.
- This is surely a design or materials issue.
- Your issue seems more related to carb/fueling since its recurring. In my case once it stalled it didn't start until it went to the mechanic but since that day zero issues.
- I doubt that, a contact had remarked that he had the same issue in his scooter but he owns an Activa and a Jupiter but it happened to him post 40k kms.
- I don't know or even eligible to comment on the cause but with my usage pattern I don't think its prudent to point fingers elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
- Then I have started noticing that most Access 125s have starting trouble so I let it be.
- It has become quite unreliable that you can't expect it to start after switching off in front of a shop.
- Do they mean a compression issue? or an auto de-compressor issue?
- I haven't faced any starting trouble in the ownership except that one time. None before none after that. And as a habit, I always start with some throttle and not wait for the "one touch start" to do its thing.
- You can try the engine flush once, follow the instructions to the T though. But I have my doubts about your issue being same as mine. Check the basics first, air(filter/hose), fuel(carb) and spark plugs and then move progressively after that.
- From what I gather is that carbon buildup is preventing the valve(s) to close properly and create a seal for compression to happen. What they do is to open the head and clean it for carbon deposits/sludge. Check if any valves need to be replaced due to damage.
But if it happens again, I will know and update, hopefully not

Last edited by shancz : 10th September 2023 at 09:36. Reason: typos
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 20:04   #62
Senior - BHPian

Barely a few hours after I wrote the above post, the Access started shutting off at throttle-idle while moving. Didn't start unless the throttle was cranked significantly more than usual.
Seems like its expressing its solidarity with its brethren. Or maybe I jinxed it by saying that I had not experienced any starting trouble before or after that incident

Took it to the ASC and also clubbed in some pending replacements with the service and the issue seems to have been sorted.
I didn't hang around but I was informed that air and spark were fine but one of the "pipes" in the carb wasn't, which was changed. Saw a lot of rat marks in the underseat-engine area and one hose was cut.

Here's a pic of the cut hose before going to the Suzuki ASC, rat marks visible.
The Suzuki Access 125 thread-inkedacc_hose.jpg

Asked for an open wash of the engine area, note that they won't do this for BS6 vehicles.
Apart from the regular service/checks and requested repairs they just changed the fuel pipe and adjusted the carb. The hose pipe was out of stock and has been ordered.

The scooter seems to run ok, although the idling is a bit unstable which should settle after some riding and then a re-adjustment, as advised.
Will get that done once the hose is back in stock.

Last edited by shancz : 11th September 2023 at 20:08. Reason: typos
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 13:47   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
I haven't faced any starting trouble in the ownership except that one time. None before none after that. And as a habit, I always start with some throttle and not wait for the "one touch start" to do its thing.
It turned out to be a bad battery. It was showing 12.8-12.9V out of the scooter without any load. So I assumed it was fine. But it was not giving enough juice for cranking. Voltage was dropping to 8-9V. Console was blinking continuously. I swapped my Gixxer 250 battery to double check this and the scooter started without trouble. Battery shop guy confirmed this with his equipment as well

While I was eliminating any possible issues, I took the time out to inspect the valve clearances. Intake was well in spec and exhaust was a little tighter than specified range so I adjusted it to spec. Was quite happy to know that everything was close to spec after 7 years.

Cleaned the carb while I was in there. There was not much crud build up at 33k ODO. Float bowl was really clean, jets were fairly clean but I still cleaned it up just to be safe for future. And did a minor afr tune. It was not terrible before anyway

Checked the fuel tube and it was showing some cracks on the outer surface closer to the carb connection. Tried sourcing it from the authorised dealer and a spares dealer but it was out of stock everywhere. So decided to cut that cracked section off. Pipe was long enough and the rest of it was in really good condition. It'll do for now but I'll try finding a new one in future.

Overall, the Access starts up pretty quick now under both self and kick starter. And it rides really well for a 7 year old scooter. Really smooth at 50-60kph.
b16h22 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 15:26   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
And it rides really well for a 7 year old scooter. Really smooth at 50-60kph.
Glad to know that the cause has been eliminated
I had assumed that you had already tried starting using the kick, my bad, will add battery to the default checklist as well
It is a good scooter, enjoy the experience.
If not already, switch to a semi/fully synthetic oil to see the difference. Just be careful of the quantity though.

I have purchased the R7000 700ml oil pack from Suzuki which contains 650ml of oil as stamped on the engine. So my next change will actually be a downgrade from full to semi synthetic. I will retain the bottle to accurately measure the engine oils going forward as I cannot find a fully synthetic oil in a 700ml pack.

Last edited by shancz : 13th September 2023 at 15:29. Reason: typos m
Old 17th September 2023, 14:22   #65
Senior - BHPian

My access is only 6 months old and I have been feeling that it is driving a bit heavy/coarse. Was planning to get it checked during upcoming service. Recently filled up HP Premium petrol and the performance is back to normal! Now it drives much smoother, just the way it should !! Not sure if regular petrol has more Ethonal impacting the engine performance or the high octane premium petrol made a difference. Has anyone experienced such change in the performance?

Nevertheless I'm happy now and would stick to premium petrol henceforth.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 17th September 2023 at 14:24.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 21:38   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Has anyone experienced such change in the performance?
Nope, I tried the same with IOC Premium and failed to find any palpable difference in the feel. I might give it a shot again as I keep reading that its supposed to.
10 years ago Bharat Petroleum's Speed used to give a smoother ride and marginal increase in FE on my RTR but that was just regular petrol with some additives. I can't find that around me anymore.

On a side note, I have experienced the engine feeling rough in barely 1200-1500kms on the regular Ecstar mineral oil(R5000). Try out the semi-synthetic R7000 if possible. Or any other fully-synthetic oil of matching grade.

Last edited by shancz : 17th September 2023 at 21:39. Reason: spc
Old 17th September 2023, 23:15   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, I tried the same with IOC Premium and failed to find any palpable difference in the feel. I might give it a shot again as I keep reading that its supposed to.
10 years ago Bharat Petroleum's Speed used to give a smoother ride and marginal increase in FE on my RTR but that was just regular petrol with some additives. I can't find that around me anymore.

On a side note, I have experienced the engine feeling rough in barely 1200-1500kms on the regular Ecstar mineral oil(R5000). Try out the semi-synthetic R7000 if possible. Or any other fully-synthetic oil of matching grade.
I filled up Shell premium before trying the HP premium. Found absolutely no improvement using Shell premium and felt kind of let down after paying 25% premium price.

But the difference was quite significant for HP premium. In fact, I also filled up my car with HP Premium and felt quite a bit of improvement in performance and smoothness of engine. Next, I want to try Indian oil XP95 petrol as I have heard quite good feedback about it. Otherwise, I plan to stick to HP premium petrol.

On another note - My third free service is due soon. I am not finding time during working days and the service center is super crowded during weekend (Saturday) which I want to avoid if possible. I saw on their website something called door step service. Has anyone used it? Is it ok to use it for 3rd free service or is it for basic checkup only?

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 17th September 2023 at 23:21.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 08:14   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I saw on their website something called door step service.
If its available do use it.
For a regular service, except the body wash, you don't need anything more than hand tools and spares including the engine oil change, air filter etc. For BS6 vehicles, from what I could make out, the ASC isn't supposed to touch the fueling of the FI or even wash the insides.

On the premium fuels, good points to note. Will keep that in mind. I have filled Shell only once in the RTR and felt no difference apart from the pricing
Old 20th September 2023, 11:01   #69

Stumbled on this thread, wanted to chime in and mention that I've been fortunate enough to not face any issues on my 2019 Access BS4. It's done 15k Kms, and I've serviced it with the dealer every 3 months(I've got the optional extended 5 year warranty, which gets voided if you don't service the vehicle in 90 day intervals), so far, it's not cost me a ton of money in spares(only consumables), and has been a smooth experience. I also always kick start when taking the scooter out first time for the day, although it only starts on the second kick, I haven't noticed the softness like some of you have.
citylights01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 09:45   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Barely a few hours after I wrote the above post, the Access started shutting off at throttle-idle while moving. Didn't start unless the throttle was cranked significantly more than usual.
Seems like its expressing its solidarity with its brethren. Or maybe I jinxed it by saying that I had not experienced any starting trouble before or after that incident

Took it to the ASC and also clubbed in some pending replacements with the service and the issue seems to have been sorted.
I didn't hang around but I was informed that air and spark were fine but one of the "pipes" in the carb wasn't, which was changed. Saw a lot of rat marks in the underseat-engine area and one hose was cut.

Here's a pic of the cut hose before going to the Suzuki ASC, rat marks visible.
Attachment 2502248
Looks like Air intake hose from the Air filter box to the carb is cut. If my inference is correct then the engine was breathing unclean air there by ingesting dust into the combustion chamber. This may have impact on the engine health.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 14:19   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Looks like Air intake hose from the Air filter box to the carb is cut. If my inference is correct then the engine was breathing unclean air there by ingesting dust into the combustion chamber. This may have impact on the engine health.
I think it leads to the transmission area but where does is come from is something I have to check. I am inclined to believe that as in August I had rode through stagnant water and during that large splash the engine seemed to rev up as if it hit neutral in a CVT. Lasted for 3-4 seconds and it was back to as if nothing happened post that. The ASC said that water must have gone in the drive belt and caused it to slip which does make sense.
This would also explain the relatively loud noise I had been noticing from the area but at least for some time now.

The Access is performing normally but with lower FE waiting for the parts and fine tuning the carb. Will stay with them when they do the replacement to see what its all about.
Old 11th October 2023, 20:39   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Looks like Air intake hose from the Air filter box to the carb is cut.
Quote:
I think it leads to the transmission area but where does is come from is something I have to check.
I checked for the hose-pipe and since it was available, got it replaced and the carb adjusted.

Got some answers :
  • The "hose-pipe" is used to cool the transmission area and called Duct, belt cooling inlet but known as "hose pipe" in ASC speak as there's only one and it differs between the BS4 and BS6 models.
  • It attaches to the transmission area and then to a socket/hole in the chassis tube.
  • The mechanic opined that it brings in air from the chassis inlet and also since the part is called "duct, belt cooling inlet" but I am not so sure.
    Maybe it carries the heat away from the CVT area and to the metal chassis tube which should have a vent to push it out of the vehicle?
    I will investigate further as I have to visit them again to replace the choke cable which of course was not in stock
  • The water ingress theory also checks out. There were marks of some water ingress most likely through the damaged hose-pipe but just minor sediment and it didn't do any damage.
  • The belt was checked for any cracking of rubber, there was none.
  • Total cost of replacing the hose-pipe was Rs.390 including parts, labour and applicable GST.

Related Pics :

The "Duct, Belt Cooling Inlet" aka hose-pipe :

Name:  spare_info.png
Views: 519
Size:  605.1 KB

The old and damaged hose-pipe to be replaced :

Name:  hose_old.png
Views: 534
Size:  798.2 KB

The most intriguing pic. The chassis socket/point where the duct plugs in :

The Suzuki Access 125 thread-chassis_inlet.png

The opened transmission area showing the CVT mechanism :

Towards the top-right of the pic do you notice some oily stuff coming from the "black box" ?
The black box houses the air filter and since its foam-type the oil discharge is from the filter and normal
The Suzuki Access 125 thread-cvt_01.png

The individual components of the CVT :

The brake shoe type things visible on the "clutch" are called "clutch shoes".
In their current state the mechanic mentioned they've a lot of life left.

The Suzuki Access 125 thread-cvt_comps.png

The empty transmission case :

FYI, some sedimentation is visible towards the rear(right side in the pic) at the bottom of the case which was from the water ingress event.
The Suzuki Access 125 thread-cvt_case.png

PS/OT :
I overheard a very interesting and positive conversation in the ASC today.
After resolving an issue of another customer who wasn't happy with his vehicle. The senior mechanic said that every vehicle from every manufacturer is good but each will have some issues, that's why we are here. Just bring it to us instead of cursing your vehicle.
The last line explains the current scenario we face where a lot of people, instead of trying to solve the issue through the manufacturer's resolution matrix start broadcasting it on social media/forums.
I think there's a lot to be learnt and gained with a patient mind which doesn't trip after 200 characters or 20 seconds.

Last edited by shancz : 11th October 2023 at 21:07. Reason: typos
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 08:56   #73
BHPian

Nearing 20K Kms - Heavy use this month and a half.

2 Solo trips on the Access. One - Delhi - KhatuShyam - Salasar - Delhi and the other Delhi - Jaipur - Mehendipur - Delhi. Got the belt and brakes changed preventatively prior to trips.
Manoj2268 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 09:34   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
2 Solo trips on the Access. One - Delhi - KhatuShyam - Salasar - Delhi and the other Delhi - Jaipur - Mehendipur - Delhi. Got the belt and brakes changed preventatively prior to trips.
That's some good usage
What is the longest trip you've done with the Access and any issues/concerns that you had ?

Last edited by shancz : 17th October 2023 at 09:34. Reason: typos
Old 17th October 2023, 10:54   #75
BHPian

The longest in one day has been approx. 300 kms in about 10 hours(Left Delhi at 4am and reached Salasar at 2pm). I halted the night at a colleague's place near the Salasar temple. After the morning darshan, set out for Khatushyam and came back to Salasar, rested the night, and set off for Delhi in the early morning.

Same story with the second trip. Parked the Access at Jaipur, Roamed with a friend in the city for dinner and local stuff in her car. Rode the scooty to Mehendipur and back to Jaipur the next day. Evening was spent again nearby. Stayed the night at Jaipur and left for Delhi the following morning.

Scooters in general aren't made for such long trips but I am used to riding 85-100 kms frequently so my body is used to this. Also, the lighting is inadequate for night drives on highways, that is the reason I halted at Salasar/Jaipur even though I could have made it in the night(but ran the risk of riding alongside sand trucks and some very desolate and empty highways - I skipped the usual Old NH8 during the first trip and chose to go via Bahadurgarh, Jhunjhunu Chirawa route). I took breaks every hour at nearby dhabas for chai and bio or merely sitting with my water bottle and kept the speeds between 60-70 kmph.
Manoj2268 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks