Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2021, 19:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Yamaha RD 350 - Restored (well, almost)

Man you've got a piece of art right there no amount of money can sum up the joy of being able to ride on this beauty. The color and minimal stickering has contributed more towards the appeal of the bike. Wish you many many many happy miles with it.
pritanshchandra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 20:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
She is ready. Maybe a badging here or there but this is what the time machine to paradise looks like .
bigron,

A very good restoration and looks great. Good attention to detail and whoever did the job needs all the appreciation possible

Please pat yourselves on the back for a wonderful job

However, your own comment "(well, almost)" is kind of very very true - specially in one respect.

The Seat is really ruining the look of the Bike completely. Sorry to say this but I felt you should be made aware of it. Your whole effort becomes almost unnoticeable because of this one item. Looks like it has been made by some one who have never seen a proper RD350 seat. Have a look at other RD350 pics here in TBHP and in Internet, you will understand what I am talking about. The pic of your own bike before restoration is an excellent example of a true "RD350 Seat.

Hope you have realized this and working on correcting it soon

Please don't take it as comments from a "nit picking old man" but as coming from a true RD350 enthusiast for past 36 years

Best Regards and Ride Safe

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 24th April 2021 at 20:18.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 22:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
bigron,

The Seat is really ruining the look of the Bike completely.

Best Regards and Ride Safe
Hey, I am aware the seat is not what this bike should wear. Unfortunately, I am getting absurd quotes on original RD seats at the moment. My original seat was completely ruined and beyond salvation.

I will manage to source one eventually. Will be a simple swap as soon as I find something worth getting. Even I am not to happy with the job but for now this 600 Rs road side make shift comtrapmemt will have to do.

Cheers.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 22:56   #19
BHPian

Good Bigron, If you are able to source a good full set seat at a resonable price, Please share the details here or dm me, Last I heard there is someone in Delhi who has them in stock, I will also need two seats and a set of original exhausts.
filmaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 08:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, I am aware the seat is not what this bike should wear. Unfortunately, I am getting absurd quotes on original RD seats at the moment. My original seat was completely ruined and beyond salvation.

I will manage to source one eventually. Will be a simple swap as soon as I find something worth getting. Even I am not to happy with the job but for now this 600 Rs road side make shift comtrapmemt will have to do.

Cheers.
Even if you don't get the original, is it really that difficult to make the contraption look as good? I feel if you have a good seat maker and show him a picture of the original, it should be as good. From the pictures, I see that the height is a bit more, the edges are not even, some folds in the cover etc that points to a shoddy workmanship more than anything else. A chrome side beading as in the original will complete the looks and compliment your otherwise beautifully restored bike. If the seat base is bad, the efforts should be on getting that right, upholstery is doable the way you want in the hands of a master.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 15:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Even if you don't get the original, is it really that difficult to make the contraption look as good? I feel if you have a good seat maker and show him a picture of the original, it should be as good. From the pictures, I see that the height is a bit more, the edges are not even, some folds in the cover etc that points to a shoddy workmanship more than anything else. A chrome side beading as in the original will complete the looks and compliment your otherwise beautifully restored bike. If the seat base is bad, the efforts should be on getting that right, upholstery is doable the way you want in the hands of a master.
Let's just say I was not inclined to pursue one more person to get me a seat after an already exhaustive and financially taxing restoration job.

That's how restorations work. They are always work in progress. I already have access to a few people who can get me a seat. I just don't feel like chasing them for one right now given the circumstances.

Just for reference, the chrome beading is 8000 rs plus shipping. Just the chrome beading. And it's going to be a used one. That is absurd pricing.

And I have no intention to stand in local motorcycle markets to expalin a builder how to make my seat given how Covid is spreading in this country.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 15:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, I am aware the seat is not what this bike should wear. Cheers.
If you can find a good fiber base(or if you have one already) I can help you get the seat done.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 16:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi Pramod. Thank you for reaching out. This was suggested to me by someone else also. Let me see if I can have someone do the base for me.

Unfortunately I am travelling now and the restoration has taken a back seat.
I will be in touch.
Cheers.
Old 26th April 2021, 17:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let's just say I was not inclined to pursue one more person to get me a seat after an already exhaustive and financially taxing restoration job.

That's how restorations work. They are always work in progress. I already have access to a few people who can get me a seat. I just don't feel like chasing them for one right now given the circumstances.

Just for reference, the chrome beading is 8000 rs plus shipping. Just the chrome beading. And it's going to be a used one. That is absurd pricing.

And I have no intention to stand in local motorcycle markets to expalin a builder how to make my seat given how Covid is spreading in this country.
Good lord, I get what you are saying. 8k for a chrome beading, insane. Jugaads will probably give the same, if not better look for 1/10th the price. But, yes, I hope you get the right person to get it done for you as the seat looks to be the only fly in the ointment on this looker of a bike.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks