Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2021, 22:55   #1

What 150cc motorcycle for a 49-year old guy?

Hi all,
First I am now 49 years old with no health problems except only glasses.
Next I Have a problem at hand with wanting to purchase a new Motorbike of at least 150 CC capacity for usually city rides to my office and other places. I am not planning to ride an inter city ride. I am located in Vizag and at the most I will go on my bike to the nearest Araku. But then that is also doubtful. I have Photography as a Hobby too.

I rode my last bike which is TVS Fiero FX 10 years back and TVS Victor before that and have clocked 1 Lakh Km on city rides. I sold Fiero FX which I miss, due to lack of spares 10 years back and am on FIAT PUNTO Emotion which also clocked 1.45 Lakh KM so far and which is increasingly getting into trouble with spares.

Now I need to purchase in the interim -before I think what to do with my FIAT Car, a Motorbike of at least 150 CC.
I went to Enfield dealer and got interested in Himalayan bike. But then some of my cousins warn me that Enfield bikes are not so convenient for city rides with frequent stop overs at signals and congestion points and rather are good for intercity rides.

However I fell in love with that build quality- Himalayan but for the weight. So I need to know the following:

[1] Can I handle a 190+ kg bike in city rides without getting too easily tired. On my car everyday I ride 50 km on average. So I expect to do the same if I do not use the car on any day.

[2] if not what should I go to for bikes in the range 150 CC. I want the look to be good - like in Fiero FX earlier and also good pickup and support.

What do you all think I am missing or unduly worried about.
Please let me know.
Regards,
Surya@Vizag
stadimet is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 09:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: What 150cc motorcycle for a 49-year old guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadimet View Post
What do you all think I am missing or unduly worried about. Please let me know.
Hi, please go through these threads, they might help. My personal recommendation would be Apache 200 or Gixxer 250.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...-urge-age.html (What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...uld-i-buy.html (Lack of parking space inspired a midlife crisis. What motorcycle should I buy?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...rx135-one.html (150cc bike to replace the RX135 - Which one?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...-25-lakhs.html (150 - 200 cc motorcycle for 1.25 lakhs?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...preferred.html (What motorcycle for 1.5 - 2.3 lakhs? Naked bikes preferred)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...50cc-bike.html (Which is the best 150cc bike???)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...-weekends.html (Which motorcycle? Commuter on weekdays, Cruiser on weekends)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...r-old-dad.html (Which Cruiser Motorcycle for my 55-year old dad?)

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 11th March 2021 at 10:02.
comfortablynumb is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 10:29   #3
BHPian

Quote:
I went to Enfield dealer and got interested in Himalayan bike. But then some of my cousins warn me that Enfield bikes are not so convenient for city rides with frequent stop overs at signals and congestion points and rather are good for intercity rides.
Don't rule the Himalayan out just because someone else said so. :-) If possible, try and rent one for a day and see if it works for your typical ride. Do keep in mind that a rental bike is likely to be abused so the NVH levels will be higher than usual.

You can also try and speak to the dealership and see if they can arrange for a longer test ride.

Before the world shut down, I used to commute on a Bullet 500 to office (~35 KM one way, peak traffic). I was able to handle it without issues - and I have heard that the Himalayan is supposed to be better.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 10:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Dear friend,
First of all, you should NOT think that you are 49 years OLD. You need to think that you are 49 years YOUNG.

Secondly, it is NOT a problem that you are thinking of purchasing a 150CC bike. It is a wish that will keep you happy and enable enjoyment in your life.

So, I wish you a long and happy mile munching journey on your new bike even before your purchase.

Now, coming to purchase decision, looking at your requirements, I think you need to have highly reliable bike for long term (at least a lakh km )

Second point, I grasped is, you need a bike city commute and not for long distance. So, bike should not be heavy and maneavouring should be easy. Since you are 49 years young, you need to keep in mind, your lower back health and your bike should take care of it.

Given all these expectations, I suggest to go with unicorn 150.

1. Honda is known for reliability and quality.
2. Its a light bike compared to enfield which is 185 kgs and more
3. It is very easy to drive in city.
4. Upright riding position will make you feel better even for 50 kms ride.

Last edited by gkveda : 11th March 2021 at 10:54.
gkveda is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 11:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the Honda Unicorn as well. It is one of the most pleasant motorcycles I have ridden.
Viju is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 12:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Given your requirements, I would strongly suggest the Honda Unicorn which is one of the best commuter bikes. I have previously owned the Suzuki Fiero, Samurai, KB100 RTZ (30 years ago) and have been owning an Unicorn for the last 16 years. A refined butter smooth engine with minimum maintenance makes it an ideal choice for your type of usage.
rr_zen is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 14:58   #7
BHPian

By your post it seems you are looking for a bike which is more calm in nature. I will have to agree with others here that Unicorn is a really good choice in this segment and probably the best 150cc commuter.

However I have one big gripe with Unicorn and that is rear drum brakes. In heavy braking scenario Unicorn of today does tend to skid at times.

Because of this one reason (looks are subjective) I would suggest you to try out the Yamaha FZS-FI V3 as well. It is one of the most balanced and calm bikes around and might not be as reliable as Honda but definitely up in that ballpark.
darkLightning is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 15:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do you all think I am missing or unduly worried about.
Surya, you are 49 not 149 years old and decrepit. Firstly please remove these negative notions from your mind. Be positive and confident!

You seem to have a good background of riding bikes and as such will get bored of the 150cc bikes which most people are suggesting in a couple of months.

Since you like the Himalayan please go and take test ride/s of the bike. The ride quality is superb, you will be extremely comfortable on our “perfect roads” and will get used to the weight in no time. It’s not overtly powerful too and with the maturity that comes with being 49 years old I am sure you can control the right wrist.

Stop thinking about it, just do it (get the test ride) and let us know. All will be well.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 16:36   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Dear friend,
First of all, you should NOT think that you are 49 years OLD. You need to think that you are 49 years YOUNG.
Yes you are right and Thank you for reminding me.

Quote:
Now, coming to purchase decision, looking at your requirements, I think you need to have highly reliable bike for long term (at least a lakh km )
Yes I think I may not purchase another bike after this unless something really serious crops up in the future.

Quote:
Second point, I grasped is, you need a bike city commute and not for long distance. So, bike should not be heavy and maneavouring should be easy. Since you are 49 years young, you need to keep in mind, your lower back health and your bike should take care of it.
I do have some back pain which is under control if I do Yoga stretches. But it is not so serious.

Quote:
Given all these expectations, I suggest to go with unicorn 150.
What is your opinion on TVS Apache RTR series? versus Honda in terms of mileage, smooth rides, back support while seating and comfort of ride. I am not unduly concerned about petrol consumption.

Regards

Last edited by Aditya : 11th March 2021 at 22:01. Reason: Quote tags fixed. Excessive underlining removed
stadimet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 16:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

You may have better value for money from a more refined than a bullet thumper like the Honda H'ness (CB350). Try it out and see.
hserus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 17:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,
First I am now 49 years old with no health problems except only glasses.
You are discussing buying a bike at 49 years shows you still like riding. And that should be enough for you to explore bikes upwards of 150cc. Mind it, powerful bikes are also comfortable and can give you better performance when you like it.

I will surely suggest the Himalayan, if you like it.
Dominar isn't bad either and has a smooth engine. Stay away from KTMs for their hooligan nature.
If retro styling is your preference, try the Cb350 RS or Highness from Honda. You can never go wrong with a Honda. RE 650 twins might be an overkill though.

Hope you get the best buy soon.
justwheels is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 17:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

stadimet, instead of keeping an upper cap on the engine displacement, I would suggest that you keep a budget cap instead and test ride every bike that might interest you, within that amount. There are so many nice bikes being sold in India these days. Buy the one that meets your personal criteria, be it comfort, power delivery, colour etc.
neil.jericho is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 21:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. First I am now 49 years old with no health problems except only glasses.

2. Next I Have a problem at hand with wanting to purchase a new Motorbike of at least 150 CC capacity for usually city rides to my office and other places.
I have Photography as a Hobby too.

3. But then some of my cousins warn me that Enfield bikes are not so convenient for city rides with frequent stop overs at signals and congestion points and rather are good for intercity rides.
However I fell in love with that build quality- Himalayan but for the weight.
1. Good going man, keep fit

2. 150-160cc is apt for your requirements with reasonable FE of 40-50kmpl approx. A good tank bag will help keep your camera safe, So if you want the ease of a magnetic tank bag then you'll have to get a bike with a metal tank

3. I wouldn't say RE bikes in general but talking specifically of the Himalayan, its weight(199kgs wet weight for the latest) and size is a downer in city traffic, heats up as well. But its an excellent motorcycle if you want to go touring over bad roads.

Quote:
[1] Can I handle a 190+ kg bike in city rides without getting too easily tired. On my car everyday I ride 50 km on average. So I expect to do the same if I do not use the car on any day.

[2] if not what should I go to for bikes in the range 150 CC. I want the look to be good - like in Fiero FX earlier and also good pickup and support.
1. This you'll have to answer yourself as it varies from person to person. You won't feel the weight while moving but U-turns or that unexpected lean will require significant effort to bring it back up. IMHO this category of bikes doesn't seem to fit your use case. Since most of your riding is in city so you'll be getting low FE and paying more money for a bike which you aren't going to use as it is supposed to be.

2. I would suggest to try out the following :

- TVS Apache RTR 160 4V : supposedly the segment leader, comfortable and overall a good package
- Hero Xtreme 160 R : have heard good things about it, only a TD will tell if you like it
- Honda X-Blade : see if the looks work for you, uses the refined Unicorn powertrain
- Hero XPulse 200 : a lighter alternative to the Himalayan, worth a shot

Honda Unicorn/Yamaha FZ/Suzuki Gixxer are proven and potent motorcycles but they've been looking the same for quite some time now so won't suggest them.

Do take detailed test-rides and especially take the bike over potholes/bad roads to see how it behaves since you'll be riding it over 50 kms a day so comfort is important. Choose the bike which appeals to you the most regardless of anything else.
Bikes with aggressive/leaned forward stance feel sporty but they load up your shoulders and wrists which will become annoying and sometimes painful in city traffic.

Like others have mentioned if a H'Ness/Himalayan brings a smile to your face while riding it through your target environment, get it.

Last edited by shancz : 11th March 2021 at 21:30. Reason: grammar
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 07:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Age is just a number, as said by a wise person. Please don't let your age determine which bike to buy. As a Himalayan owner, the only fly in the ointment is the hard clutch, which can tire your wrist in bumper to bumper traffic.
For city driving I will recommend the Honda Unicorn, never seen any other bike with a featherlite clutch. Plus the motor is super refined which will not tire you.
If you can go a notch up, you can try the CB350 also.
A detailed test ride should help you decide on your requirements.
rakesh_r is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 09:18   #15
BHPian

Re: What 150cc motorcycle for a 49-year old guy?

I see your need is more or less 50 kms per day in city. Why not go for Revolt RV400 electric bike? Its styling looks to be inspired from a familiar sports bike model and it has all the bells and whistles. Its range for a single charge will be adequate for daily errands.As it's electric, no clutch application is required.

I am in suburbs of chennai and I already see some 3 to 4 bikes in my community using Rv400 as primary city commute. It also looks to be easy to handle and maneuver.

The only limitation could be is the showroom is currently at hyderabad and you may want to transport it to your place for delivery. But Revolt seems to be doing well and they might spread their wings to other locations also. You can try pure EV if you are ok to get electric scooters as they could have dealers in vizag itself. Their products resemble italian type scooters.
Balaji31582 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks