Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2021, 16:57   #361
BHPian

Re: Ola's made-in-India Electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 99,999

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
1. How to avail the discounted price in Delhi? Do they check the Aadhaar card address though online or accept whatever is written on a hard copy of aadhaar card?
Your address for registeration will be considered during subsidy. So yes, you need to have ID with Delhi address.

Quote:
2. Whether Ola will deliver doorstep or they can deliver to a different area/ address as shipping address? Or can we pick it up from any physical store or location?
This is yet to be answered. But the logical approach should be to have 1 or 2 central hubs in the city from where a customer can pick the scooter from. Imagine getting your scooter delivered with scratches and have to place a request for exchange.

Quote:
3. Is the discounted price applicable for Gurgaon location?
I guess the FAME subsidy is for all the states as it is from the central government.

Last edited by Dhillon : 17th August 2021 at 17:06. Reason: Multi Quote
Dhillon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 17:12   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnishRanjan View Post
Coal power is clean is it? Wow i disagree. Please get your facts right and renewable's are not clean either. The amount of mining that goes in manufacture, the emissions in the entire cycle and lastly the lifespan is not where it needs to be when in comes to wind and solar. I don't want to get into a debate anyways, that's your point of view.
Though off-topic, we should think of the nuke power also. We have a vast resource of Thorium in India and a technology to use that for generating electricity.
When we compare coal and renewables, we never consider the points you highlighted here! You are absolutely right. Absolutely clean energy is extremely difficult and costly.
RijuC is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 17:32   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon View Post
I guess the FAME subsidy is for all the states as it is from the central government.
Assuming a FAME II subsidy of 40,000 in Karnataka, does it mean that Ola may actually cost less than 1 lakh on-road?

Do anybody who has bought an electric vehicle in Karnataka throw some light on all the charges added to an electric scooter say registration charges etc.
Old 17th August 2021, 18:22   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Coal power is clean is it? Wow i disagree. Please get your facts right and renewable's are not clean either. The amount of mining that goes in manufacture, the emissions in the entire cycle and lastly the lifespan is not where it needs to be when in comes to wind and solar. I don't want to get into a debate anyways, that's your point of view.
He never said coal power is clean. As @Starke has stated numerous studies and research papers have already shown that EVs are a lot cleaner(including the battery manufacturing and recycling). When you do not consider the energy spent in oil exploration, drilling, leakages, transportation you tend to think ICE are cleaner.
BTW..Scooters are lot cleaner than cars.

Do you know that 1.3kwh of electricity(electricity from the same dirty grid) is required to refine 1L petrol. With 1L petrol you drive 45km on an Activa, 1.3kwh electricity you can drive 40km on OLA S1. I think it's time to get your facts right.

Please find this informative video:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
I am not asking him to kill his money making business. I am merely stating that when you ask common man to discard petrol scooters, it is quite natural for them to expect him also to discard in the same space. He has not made any claim about discarding ICE cabs in his fleet right? And please don't defend him by telling that he is bringing ola electric for greater good of the environment. He is a businessman at the end of the day trying to make money. He has sensed a wonderful opportunity and is going to get rich dividends for the same.
"Bhavish Aggarwal, founder and CEO at ride-hailing major and EV maker Ola, says that all two-wheelers sold in the country by 2025 should be electric. "
He never asked to discard your existing ICE scooter, he only states new 2W sold in the country "should be" electric by 2025.

As you rightly said, he sensed a business opportunity and does speak accordingly, why ask a business what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Assuming a FAME II subsidy of 40,000 in Karnataka, does it mean that Ola may actually cost less than 1 lakh on-road?

Do anybody who has bought an electric vehicle in Karnataka throw some light on all the charges added to an electric scooter say registration charges etc.
The 99,999 ₹ price is after the fame subsidy. Some states have state specific subsidies.

The actual prices are( approx prices):
S1 : 99,999 + 45,000 = 144999
S1 pro: 1,29,999 + 60000 = 189999

Last edited by SKC-auto : 17th August 2021 at 18:33.
SKC-auto is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 18:48   #365
BHPian

I for one am super excited to see how the scooter performs. This one is a game changer but we have seen game changers like these go bust before in different segments.
I pre booked one the moment advance booking opened and I'm sure I will get one just to try and see how practical it is. Charging times and speed and range are close to ideal. Charging infra does not matter. In my view there is no need for this to be considered a big worry for scooters unlike cars. Bring them home and charge unless you didn't see the charge and run out.

Open questions remain about battery life and degradation, replaceability, exposed electronics etc.

BUT for me, the biggest thing is longevity.
I still use my dad's Enfield from 1979 and it can still do 350km trips, and still use a 1983 Ind- Suzuki for local runs. Drives well, decent mileage, serves the local run purpose. I rode these two through college full time (1990s) and then post college when I graduated to a car when working (2005) drove them part time when I didn't need to take out my car. Never felt the need to replace them. All they require is periodic maintenance.

I guess with the current generation, a 5 - 8 year lifetime is probably more attractive to replace and move on.

I don't know. has anyone done a long term ownership assessment (leaving out the environment impact which is important and chief driver for change) of EV including battery replacement, maintenance (even if minimal) etc? The horizon seems to be only until battery replacement ie 5 years. A lot of the middle class families get bikes that last for a lifetime , look at the local Kirana shop owner with their activa/kawasaki/tvs XL doing daily purchase and delivery trips.

I guess the first target segment is youngsters in cities. In my view true Honda/Bajaj mass market for EV still has a long way to go in terms of engineering and practicality.
Old 17th August 2021, 18:59   #366
BHPian

I found this news article on the state specific subsidies for EVs. Link

Seems Gujarat and Maharashtra guys will have the maximum if the contents are correct.
fordday is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 19:24   #367
BHPian

Am super excited about the OLA S1 (as about Ather earlier).

Not just because of the product (looks, features, range, top-speed) and its pricing; but more for the sheer ambition that Bhavish is projecting and for putting his money where his mouth is (that huge factory).

Most Indian entrepreneurs choose services or online business or trading type businesses, usually because of lower fixed costs. But getting into OEM automobile manufacturing is really big stakes, and has a huge significance for the country (look up how many countries make their own brands cars and bikes).

I wish him luck and he succeeds not just in India, but also across the world.
Feels so good to see such a ground up designed and made in India product in a nascent space.

This thread is super entertaining (some posts are hilarious).
With all the information in the world at our fingertips, most of us still compare ICE with EV. Probably such folks are still burning dry leaves, twigs, cow dung to cook food; since it definitely works, is cheaper than LPG, is available in the neighborhood park/roadside/park, and probably as polluting as LPG since producing LPG is so polluting no.
Or the discussion about unnecessary features - trust OLA to do a far better job of understanding this space than majority of us here. Some people just like to find flaws.

Let's celebrate this tremendous product by an India company. I hope they succeed like crazy.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 19:56   #368
BHPian

So the scooter is indeed not monocoque. Even the batteries are not in the hump.
Attached Thumbnails
Ola's made-in-India Electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 99,999-chassis2x1.jpg  

rascalangel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 20:47   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
FAMEII subsidy is uniform across the country. For two wheelers, it is ₹15000 per KWh of installed battery capacity. It is capped at 40% of ex-factory price.

Additionally some states have more subsidy. Notable ones are Gujarat ₹20k, MH 5k (will soon become 15k), Delhi 15k and Rajasthan 10k. So Any electric scooter will be cheapest in Gujarat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
The actual prices are( approx prices):
S1 : 99,999 + 45,000 = 144999
S1 pro: 1,29,999 + 60000 = 189999
Your calculation is correct for the S1. For S1pro, below is how it's done.

FAMEII subsidy will be given for a max ex factory of ₹1,50,000. Ex factory price of Ola S1pro will be invoiced as ₹1,50,000 (if they make the ex-factoryprice as 190k, buyers will not get FAMEII subsidy).
So it will be eligible for ₹60,000 FAMEII subsidy (40% of ex-factory price or ₹15k per kwh for 4kwh battery, whichever way we see it). It means the ex showroom price should be ₹90,000. But it is ₹1,29,999 for the S1 pro. So the difference of ₹39,999 for the S1pro will be invoiced as “performance upgrade”.
Also we have to be aware of another point. An electric vehicle will attract 5% GST but this performance upgrade is like an accessory and it'll attract 18% GST. The prices of 1L and 1.3L is inclusive of GST

Quote:
Karnataka was one of the first to introduce EV policies. There is no additional subsidy but LTT for the vehicle is 0%.
The only charges that you'll need to pay additionally for Ola S1 are registration charges (₹1100 i guess) which is mainly for the RC and the insurance (roughly ₹5000 For 1st year)

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 17th August 2021 at 20:53.
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 21:20   #370
BHPian

So, we can expect the on - road price to be around 1.40 lakh in Karnataka right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Karnataka was one of the first to introduce EV policies. There is no additional subsidy but LTT for the vehicle is 0%.
The only charges that you'll need to pay additionally for Ola S1 are registration charges (₹1100 i guess) which is mainly for the RC and the insurance (roughly ₹5000 For 1st year)
Old 17th August 2021, 23:05   #371
BANNED

Quote:
So, we can expect the on - road price to be around 1.40 lakh in Karnataka right?
The ex-showroom price is inclusive of fame subsidy.
In Karnataka you will have to only pay insurance and registration charges. There is no road tax in Karnataka.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 06:51   #372
BANNED

How can this be called made in India when the batteries and the chips are being sourced from outside India? Can we call a thing Indian because it has Indian Customs seal on it?

This a boring and greedy offering that is being propped up by those who who are heavily invested in it.

As for them singing about environmental wellness, that is a sham and this is just a money making game at a the expense of few gullible minds. They would be let down in a few years by either high battery costs or increases electricity prices.

These are not practical at all. Those who say that they are finding these practical will be well off in a bicycle than on some flimsy electric gadget.

If one really wants to eliminate mass pollution 'aside from breathing', they must simply ban private transport and increase public transport alone.

They are just fattening the pockets of some greedy businessmen under the guise of these delusions which are just as impacting, if not more, on the environment as the IC engines and will only increase the pollution by adding to the wastes in the long run.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 18th August 2021 at 07:06.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 08:59   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
High mileage riders be aware and look else where don't get fooled by these numbers. Also the touch screens are a gimmick and if parked outside exposed to the elements don't expect them to last long like the old analogue meters.
When you say high mileage users, what do you mean? I don't think anyone in the right mind will buy this or any EV scooter to do Bangalore to Chennai runs. It is designed as a city run about. I bet it costs a fraction of what it will cost to run compared to filling gas. We are a price sensitive market. Anything that has a lower operating cost will sell. Even if this scooter manages only 80km in the real world, I'll take it.

We don't mind blowing anywhere between 20k to 150K every 2 or 3 years to replace our cell phones. That is not being kind to the environment either is it?

Quote:
These things are play toys and expensive in the long run.
What makes you say this? Just about every car and two wheeler on the road gets expensive to run and maintain for the long haul. You are judging the product before it has even hit the road. If the screen fails, fix it. When it is time to replace the battery, replace it. Trust me, between blowing your head gasket and never being able to fix it right again, replacing a battery is a lot easier and simpler. You don't get any grease on you hands too.

Quote:
There is no efficient battery recycling process for lithium batteries at present anywhere in the world and will end up polluting and destroying the planet more.
Battery recycling is being tried in various ways and its only a matter of time before they can be 100% recycled. Link

Our planet is a wreck. We need to reverse that cycle slowly. An EV vehicle is one of many ways to go about it. Yes; it is not 100% pollution free but it is way better than a over a billion exhaust pipes belching out fumes into the atmosphere.

This is easily the most attractive scooter in our market and its EV. Give it a chance before shooting it down.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 18th August 2021 at 09:03.
sandeepmohan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 09:52   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
How can this be called made in India when the batteries and the chips are being sourced from outside India? Can we call a thing Indian because it has Indian Customs seal on it?
By that logic, there are no made-in-India cars or 2 wheelers in the country. Recently launched XUV700 uses multiple microprocessors. None of those are made in India. It's not just Indian companies. Tesla uses processors made in Taiwan, Japan, and Germany. They source battery cells made in Japan for some of their cars. So, Tesla is not made in the USA?

India does not have a Lithium Ion battery cell manufacturing unit currently. All the EVs like Nexon, Chetak, Ather 450x, TVS iQube have to source battery cells from outside India. Govt has expanded the PLI scheme for battery manufacturing as well for 50 GWh capacity. It will take time for those efforts to come to fruition. Even for that to happen, companies have to see the demand. With the vehicles like Nexon and Ola, those companies will be encouraged to set up the cell factories locally.

Quote:
This a boring and greedy offering that is being propped up by those who who are heavily invested in it.

As for them singing about environmental wellness, that is a sham and this is just a money making game at a the expense of few gullible minds. They would be let down in a few years by either high battery costs or increases electricity prices.

These are not practical at all. Those who say that they are finding these practical will be well off in a bicycle than on some flimsy electric gadget.
It may be boring for you, but most people seem to be excited about it. It's definitely more exciting than the current petrol scooters on the market.
sri_tesla is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 09:54   #375
BHPian

Quote:
There is no proper chip manufacturing nor cell manufacturing in India as of now since the demand is minuscule considering the investment it needs.

I don't understand what exactly is your point in your whole statement putting so much hatred towards this project

-They didn't import Chinese knock-off kits as other companies did.

-They invested heavily in India for a factory that is actually the world's biggest 2W manufacturing unit which will export millions of units to global need.

-There are proper guidelines set by our government for a stage by stage localisation (which is even part level) to promote and provide EV through subsidy [ Not everything will come up in a month of time or nobody can wait until we have cell factories/chip factories]

Quote:
-Majority of the city commuters transit sub 100km a day and the range it offers suit them well. This even priced near to normal ICE counter-parts, I don't understand your non-practicality statement

Quote:
If one really wants to eliminate mass pollution 'aside from breathing', they must simply ban private transport and increase public transport alone.
-Mass pollution? Ban private transportation? Do you think this will be practical ? . Instead of banning private transportation there should a shift to much cleaner one where 2Ws in India which dominates the mass market.

Quote:
They are just fattening the pockets of some greedy businessmen under the guise of these delusions which are just as impacting, if not more, on the environment as the IC engines and will only increase the pollution by adding to the wastes in the long run.
-Nobody doing charity here, everyone wants to make money so did OLA.

-Could you please provide the data which backs up your statement on increased pollution in the long run?
starke is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks