Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2021, 19:08   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Ola's made-in-India Electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 99,999

No real new information in this video. Highlights:

- OLA sees value as key for consumers and therefore will aim for mainstream scooter prices.
- In house developed and manufactured motor, control unit etc. heavily localised from day 1. In house developed battery pack
- Aiming to offer a fundamentally better product to the market. OLA claims best product.
- 10 million capacity factory planned. Now after Phase1, two million annual capacity currently
- Motorcycles will be launched followed by four wheelers.
shortbread is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 19:03   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more real world pictures of Ola S1 is available now. I liked this shade the most after white.

Ola's made-in-India Electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 99,999-7115c64117e3ab7483b6db87fbfd464570d3e86e_2_1024x1000.jpeg

Ola's made-in-India Electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 99,999-22805f2e8e1a7ef299450743b52673ef8a1e1039_2_1118x1000.jpeg

Ola's made-in-India Electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 99,999-194c9983d4bfdad340996351af885b89a7e5f642_2_1066x1000.jpeg
hemanth.anand is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 19:47   #168
Senior - BHPian

@ hemanth.anand

Have the media test drives started?
Old 29th July 2021, 07:11   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
@ hemanth.anand

Have the media test drives started?
I have no idea about that but this does look like a media drive to me too.
Old 29th July 2021, 07:13   #170
Senior - BHPian

Any idea on what is ola booking count look like? Appears like they stopped counting after 1 Lakh in a day

I am pinning alot of hopes on this as this can disrupt the market and become next activa in our market.

I haven't yet booked mine, with all their claims of million scooters, it should be available off the shelves eventually isn't it
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 22:23   #171
BHPian

Some interesting observations from Vinkesh Gulati, President, Federation of Automobile Dealers Association (FADA)

Quote:
“Statements like the ‘biggest factory in the world’, and thousands of crores of investment creates eyeballs and is a very good strategy,” he said. However, we was quick to point out that there were hardly any other details on the scooter. “Nobody knows its price, specifications, mileage, etc. In the first 24 hours, they received 100,000 bookings . . . it is now nearly a week and this should have grown to 500,000 but no one is aware of the number,” he added.

“I am not sure that this (tally) is achievable in the current stage of electric two-wheeler development . . . especially when the segment is still to reach sales levels of 100,000 units annually,”

How will the company manage insurance and registration? It is not as if you start using the scooter immediately on delivery. I doubt if Ola can handle registration and insurance from a central place.” He also doesn’t feel that this type of direct retail is possible for a mass-market product. “If you want to sell some small numbers you can still do it, but if it is a mass-market product, it is very difficult in a country like India with the kind of compliances that are needed”
Source

I do agree with him on how the company will get the scooters registered with local RTO. Insurance might be done centrally.

I think there lot of grey area Ola needs to answer.
arvindmanju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 22:49   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Some interesting observations from Vinkesh Gulati, President, Federation of Automobile Dealers Association (FADA)

Source

I do agree with him on how the company will get the scooters registered with local RTO. Insurance might be done centrally.

Worried about Ola going online sales model, we will see these S*** talking all over the place, take these guys opinions with pinch of salt.
SKC-auto is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 01:50   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post

RTO certification is procedural, a cost-benefit analysis proves that this exercise on a brand new automobile is pointless and can be skipped if the centre pushes through an ordinance. Plus RTOs cooperation can be acquired through various means, they are govt. servants with a very 'friendly' attitude towards the right clientele!

Albeit I can see rival dealers use this loophole to throw spanner in the works. This digital sales model can be detrimental to the whole auto dealership ecosystem.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 09:01   #174
BHPian

I am waiting for concrete data on the product.

Information like the ex-showroom(ex-factory, as it is delivered to the customers)
Expected range
Product reviews

July is almost done. I was hoping for a track ride report at least by one of the established channels.
Old 30th July 2021, 13:07   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
I am waiting for concrete data on the product.

Information like the ex-showroom(ex-factory, as it is delivered to the customers)
Expected range
Product reviews

July is almost done. I was hoping for a track ride report at least by one of the established channels.
I think all prospective buyers must be prepared to be more patient. The novelty and scale of this project means that it will be challenging even for an established maker let alone a new entrant.

OLA has been very successful in generating the hype and there's a lot on the company's plate in order to meet expectations. I think this is why they have been extremely guarded in divulging more information, you don't want to start out by overpromising and then under-deliver.

Hence I say, as buyers we should be prepared, anyone expecting delivery next month might be heading for disappointment.
shortbread is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 15:08   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
I think all prospective buyers must be prepared to be more patient. The novelty and scale of this project means that it will be challenging even for an established maker let alone a new entrant.
The company is taking bookings, released a teaser video, 10 colour options made public, AFAIK promised to launch in July 2021.

High time price and range or any details are put out. I am willing to wait till Jan 2022 if the product seems worthy.
Old 30th July 2021, 16:43   #177
BHPian

Even Powerdrift seems to think that swappable battery packs are going to be given a miss in Ola's version of Etergo (though they do talk about extending the range of the scooter by adding battery packs sometime down the ownership period).

JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 02:47   #178
BHPian

All this is just overhyped marketing gimmick. Ola scooter will be a big flop just like how it happened with their other electric ventures in the past (Cab & Auto)

They are dreaming of making 10 million units annually within a year of launching, while the most successful two wheeler company in India still struggles to see such numbers. Ola thinks people will shift to scooters when scooters are the most UNSAFE mode of transport in our country, accounting to 35% of total road accident deaths (As per MORTH report 2019)

Tesla is way ahead with innovation and passenger safety. But what Ola is doing is just rebadging an existing toy like scooter without any thoughts on people’s safety.

Ola scooter is just a big disappointment.
adi58 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 07:28   #179
Senior - BHPian

It's now 15 days over since they opened the booking and collected crores of rupees from people. They have been enjoying this huge amount without spending any rupee as interest amount.

Further, so far there is no official announcement from OLA about the Scooter specification or price or when the deliveries begin etc. Not even those who have paid the booking amount have any intimation whatsoever from Ola other than those messages received at the time of booking.

It's now time that Ola comes with official announcements about the details and launching date and also who all will get their scooter delivered etc.
nairrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 08:29   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi58 View Post
Ola thinks people will shift to scooters when scooters are the most UNSAFE mode of transport in our country, accounting to 35% of total road accident deaths (As per MORTH report 2019)
Just checked Morth report 2019, the 35% you said was across all 2 wheelers, the report did not differentiate scooters and bikes. In which case we should start asking Honda, Bajaj, Hero to stop 2 wheeler production.

Why compare with Tesla, it's a car company, OLA still working on its first scooter, let's give sometime and space for them to develop.
SKC-auto is online now   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks