Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2021, 13:04   #1

Storing a Duke 200 in a time capsule

Hi guys, this is my first post on team-bhp and I would really like your suggestions on an idea I have regarding my KTM Duke 200 (2016). Since I acquired my Continental GT 650 in October 2020, my attention on the Duke has been wearing off. However, I still the love the bike for what it is and do not plan to let go of it at all.

Storing a Duke 200 in a time capsule-4ce8ba0c49d94881b99b2c0cbfa1aec5.jpg

I need guidance on whether it is possible to acquire a metal frame, similar to the ones that come with CBU bikes during shipping and secure the bike within it along with the wooden box. If possible where may I find the required frame, do Suzuki, Kawasaki etc. dealers hold on to them, or do I have a better chance looking at scrap yards.

Storing a Duke 200 in a time capsule-img_1366.jpg

Another possibility that I'm open to explore, is getting the whole bike disassembled and storing it in a wooden box, something like a kit car. With new tyres, brake pads and other perishables.

My ultimate fantasy is that some day when my future offspring want their own ride, they would have to build the duke back up and enjoy it as I have. Incase that doesn't happen I will build it back up for myself.

Do share your opinion on the best way forward for the prolonged storage of my Duke 200.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd March 2021 at 07:49. Reason: Attachments inserted
shifter93 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 15:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Storing a Duke 200 in a time capsule

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifter93 View Post
Do share your opinion on the best way forward for the prolonged storage of my Duke 200.
From my experience, there're only 2 choices...
1. Ride Duke every alternative day or atleast keep riding it 2-3 times a week
2. Sell it off

Have seen many of my friends with the same emotions (and yours truly included) holding on for long to a particular motorcycle & eventually the bike catches up with age. But if you keep riding, it's all pristine.
aargee is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 15:33   #3
BHPian

From my personal experience, I would strongly recommend you let go of the bike. I ruined my first bike Apache, thinking the same.
NirmalK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 15:46   #4
BHPian

I don' think storing the bike is a good option. Those boxes are used temporarily for transportation & I don't think those boxes will help you or the bike neither do I think a stored bike will be that easy to rebuild.

You are thinking by heart, think of the probability of you having a kid who will as inclined to a bike to invest the time & money to rebuild it? I would say, not much.

I would say, sell it or ride it few times a month.
Old 18th February 2021, 15:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Might be better for you to go through these threads:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ndian-way.html (Prepping a Motorcycle for long-term storage, the Indian way!)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...long-term.html (Keeping bike in Garage(not using) for long term)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...otorcycle.html (How NOT to restore your old motorcycle)

Like the others, I too would suggest that you get rid of it or keep riding it. If you are absolutely sure that you need to preserve the bike, do buy and keep some additional seals, rubber components, cables, chains and similar parts for proper storage.
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 16:25   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My ultimate fantasy is that some day when my future offspring want their own ride, they would have to build the duke back up and enjoy it as I have. Incase that doesn't happen I will build it back up for myself. .
How much into the future will this be ? Will we have petrol supply at that time ?

Even OIC countries have started planning for a oil-less future.

Best would be to keep using it, at least once a week. You can, after the years, look back on it and say - hey - look at my vintage beauty, still in pristine condition.
condor is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 16:44   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Why can't you just ride the bike once a week? Its not like a child that demands attention all the time.
Old 18th February 2021, 16:45   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...I would really like your suggestions on an idea I have regarding my KTM Duke 200 (2016).
If you really want to preserve the bike, like everyone suggested, please ride it once in a while. Keep servicing it. Changing wear and tear parts, and also parts which wear off with time.

Quote:
My ultimate fantasy is that some day when my future offspring want their own ride, they would have to build the duke back up and enjoy it as I have. Incase that doesn't happen I will build it back up for myself.
While I too would love what you've said, its kindof a dream come true. But, considering the niggles you'll be facing in the future and lack of parts I dont think it's going to work.

It's just been 3 decades and Parts for the Yezdi's and RD350's are difficult to come by these days, the next three decades will have faster wearing off effect for parts than olden times.
Old 18th February 2021, 17:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ironically the song "LET IT GO" from FROZEN movie is playing real loud in my head, while you actually intend to FREEZE your bike.

Now even if you manage that:
I hope you know that every 15 years you have to renew documents & how will you manage to do that with disassembled bike?

I hope you know that in another 10 years, everything will shift to EV & your bike may become a mantel piece. Petrol at 100 Rupees now & cant even imagine what it would be in your time capsule future. Probably your old horse would be cheaper than the litre of petrol.

I hope you know that the spares of your toy may become premium or NON-available in your time capsule future.

I hope that you can be sure that your "FUTURE OFFSPRING" will love FOSSIL FUEL bikes - like you do. He/She may have plans like; a spacecraft to Mars or may be smaller travel to Moon.

Regards.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 00:32   #10
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Riding it regularly or occasionally is the best way to preserve is what I have learnt too the hard way.

My brother and me are currently in the same boat. I am planning to restore my 1995 Yamaha RX100 and retire it from active / daily use and use a scooter instead. I was in 2 minds whether to sell it or just store it away. My brother is also in the same boat where he plans to buy a Himalayan / Interceptor / Classic 500. He has the 2013 Duke 390 which he is not sure whether to sell it or store it.

We both decided the 2 bikes are too damn good to let go and we would never ever get such good bikes in the future. So we have decided to retire them from active service and use them atleast once a week to keep them running.

If you really like your Duke 200 and want to retain it - find a nice covered parking spot and get a good cover and store it there. Use it once week to ride some 15-20 Kms store it back.

"look me in the eye and tell me you want to sell me" - is what our 2013 Duke 390 seems to be telling us. The bike is amazing and looks brand new even today. There are absolutely no problems in the bike and hence no reason to sell it. So we have decided to retain it for a few more years.
Attached Thumbnails
Storing a Duke 200 in a time capsule-img_20210219_002801.jpg  

v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 05:57   #11
BANNED

The old RE's came with extended storage guidelines, unfortunately modern machines are designed to be systematically phased out.

Say if I go into a comma today and wake up a decade from now I could still go parts shopping and pick up random parts to make my P220/CT100 run, I do not need to stick to model specific parts. Carburetors, CDI's, Ignition Coils etc are generic parts.

But the same isn't the case with the Duke's you need the exact part for the Motorcycle to fire right due to the way it's set up. So unless spare availability is no hassle I'd not suggest storing the same.

At the same time if you're hellbent on storing the bike then go with any detailed Winterizing Guide on YouTube, Ari Henning and Ryan F9 have made good videos about the same.

And remember, engine cycles determine engine life. Riding 2 Kms daily causes more wear and tear than riding 200km's once a month.

Cheers!
A.P.
Old 19th February 2021, 07:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

I see no point in storing the Duke. The costs involved in storing a bike like this far exceeds any advantage this might give in the future.
If it was a classic or vintage, I would still give it a shot but not for a duke 200.
These will be available dime a dozen if you or someone in the family eventually wants one to ride or keep.

And like others have said, the only way a bike retains its longetivity is if it's ridden every now and then. The more it stays stationary the more wear and tear occurs.
Old 19th February 2021, 08:47   #13
BHPian

Ride the bike once in a while. Keep riding till you can source spares and maintain it within a reasonable budget. Maybe till 5-6 years from now.

After that, dismantle it and use various components as showpieces.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 09:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Your best bet is to stash it somewhere indoors, within an airtight enclosure which is reviewed every 3 months or so. Preferably in an area where the air is very dry. You have to avoid entry of bugs and humid air.

May be build an almost airtight container to stash the disassembled parts and attach a dehumidifier too which runs when humidity increases above say 45%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
I see no point in storing the Duke. The costs involved in storing a bike like this far exceeds any advantage this might give in the future.
Even a MacDonald's burger which was stored for several years made it to the news, so why not a Duke.

I am already storing
- My father's Seiko5 & Slide Rule
- My first digital camera which was bought in the year 2001. (HP, 1.3 MP!)

for these small things, invest in a dry box and you're good to go.

Last edited by clevermax : 19th February 2021 at 10:07.
clevermax is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 10:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Your best bet is to stash it somewhere indoors, within an airtight enclosure which is reviewed every 3 months or so. Preferably in an area where the air is very dry. You have to avoid entry of bugs and humid air
This is something only a rich class can do; I've had my Rx stored indoors for 3 months & then found out what happened. Even my bicycle got rusted. That's when I learned hard way that, a temperature controlled solution is the only way.

Quote:
Even a MacDonald's burger which was stored for several years made it to the news, so why not a Duke
Hehe, that was quite interesting read & helped me educate my children staying off from fast food

Quote:
- My father's Seiko5 & Slide Rule
- My first digital camera which was bought in the year 2001. (HP, 1.3 MP!)
I've an Elan II E from 1995; somewhere by 2009, the lens had to be cleaned & today I don't know how good it is, have to check. Then I've my Father's Yashica (MF 2 super) bought somewhere in 86 or 87 not sure, again, have to load a film to check it's pristine. But yes, outwardly, they're all awesome unlike my Rx.

Boss, my point is that, these plastic & alloy items probably stay longer. We had plenty of items from mother board, PC/laptop, modem, battery toys, TV, Sony GR8 music system, Hitachi Worldspace receiver, digital camera & even clothes. We once experienced a remote control of TV going kaput, the rubbers inside the button got struck without using it for long time. And all these goods were stored to pristine wrapped in beautiful plastic cover, dust proof & over time they all became useless.

Last year, we took a decision to throw out all unused items from home (you may want to call the bite of minimalist living bug) & suddenly we felt out house became very large

On a lighter note - no matter how much I could convince, Wife & Mother denied to throw away unused utensils (reminiscence of meen chatti dialogue from Drishyam). They never let me inside kitchen for a week & always have an eye when I enter kitchen these days

Last edited by aargee : 19th February 2021 at 10:29.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks