Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2021, 11:14   #16
BHPian

Re: Jawa 42 vs Honda Hness CB350

I know of this bug you speak of, for it is in my mind too.

Jawa 42 vs Honda Hness CB350-download.jpeg

I currently ride a 2014 Pulsar 220 (done about 8k kms in 4 years), and a 2013 Vespa (25k in ~8 years). My usage isn't therefore very high or low, but looking at all the options in the market nowadays, I've been idly looking at videos of all new launches. I've gone from being interested in a Hero Passion to a Kawasaki Z900, such is the breadth of my indecision! I've realized one thing though- I'd buy something only if it makes total sense to me (even though the perfect bike doesn't exist). The itch is something I can put away in favour of a more practical and sensible choice, which is why I've chosen to carry on with my 2 steeds for at least another 3-4 years before needing a replacement.

If you're looking to change, I'd say get something that you won't regret in the long term, and make sure it serves you well for 8-10 years. Jawa doesn't seem to offer the kind of fuss-free ownership that demands this longevity, but the Honda probably does (possibly even the new RE Meteor). A few other members have suggested another scooter, which absolutely isn't a bad option. Why break the bank when, for your usage, a tailor-made solution already exists? Try the Suzuki Burgman Street, NTorq, or even an electric option (Ather, Chetak etc). End of the day, opt for peace of mind and value over a fleeting infatuation.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 11:15   #17
BANNED

Your riding is way too insignificant to play a part in deciding what kind of motorcycle you'd need to opt for.

Simply put anything would do.

So do get the Motorcycle that turns you on the most. Personally that would be a Jawa cause of the noise it makes.

But if you'd contemplate cruising then it would be best to lean towards the Honda, it is a Long Stroke and they do maintain average speeds way better than short strokes a displacement class or two above them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghavEvoX View Post
I drive a CBR250 for the last 9 years and based on my ownership experience, I can assure 100% that Honda engines are far much reliable than any other competitor in the market.
How many KM's have you clocked on the Honda?
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 12:03   #18

I have a Jawa 42 bought in 2019. While she’s a handsome looker, her pitfalls have caught me looking at her with a less than appreciative gaze. She’s now got rust spots on chrome! Shock absorbers, etc. Really poor craftsmanship. She also thuds over bad roads, speed breakers, when fully loaded. So much so, I had the suspension set up tuned up to prevent this from happening.

I would personally avoid the Jawa for the time being. Mahindra seem to want to move to the next new thing before getting all things sorted in the last new thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Being a Jawa 42 owner, I don't recommend the bike at all.
I don’t know someone who could sum up my thoughts so well !! Exactly the same issues - maybe we should form a “fix our own Jawa clubs” - maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Jawa 42 vs Honda Hness CB350-f0be00fd773c41aa804ed7fa72781a6b.jpeg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st February 2021 at 13:10. Reason: Back to back posts merged, smileys - 2 per post please. Thanks.
mrvibhu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 12:55   #19
BHPian

I had the same bug in my mind. After test riding a few orange bikes, then a few heavy oil leaking cruisers, I waited.

Finally I picked CB350. A spot on city bike which handles so smoothly. It’s super agile in the city. Height, weight and power delivery is very good. And in the last 2months usage for three tank fills I get 36kmpl. The color of blue and white was most appealing for me.

My purchase was well worth it. Honda has met all my expectations as a city bike which can also cruise on highway.
groom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 13:37   #20
BHPian

Jawa 42 and CB350, both are very good bikes, no doubt. I haven't yet tried CB350, felt really good riding the Jawa though. The power delivery is really good, unique exhaust note and for some reason I felt as if I was riding a twin cylinder motorcycle. But.,as pointed out by many, Mahindra failed big time marketing this wonderful machine. The general opinion about Jawa after sales service is definitely not encouraging as well. So, among the two, CB350 seems a better bet.
Old 21st February 2021, 14:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Bike or not to bike is left to your choice. But if you choose Jawa, then you will be forced not to bike. This much I can predict.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Being a Jawa 42 owner, I don't recommend the bike at all.

Overall, this has not been a good purchase for me and I was unnecessarily infatuated by the Nebula Blue colour.. now its been one year (hardly 800km driven) and I don't like to ride it at all.

Instead I would recommend you to go for the Enfield Meteor 350 or the Honda Highness/ CB350 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
You would be better off with the Honda.
Jawa after sales are in disarray in many parts of the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvibhu View Post
I have a Jawa 42 bought in 2019.

I would personally avoid the Jawa for the time being. Mahindra seem to want to move to the next new thing before getting all things sorted in the last new thing.
This is really sad to see. The Jawa vanture had a lot of potential.
Old 21st February 2021, 17:26   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
And the heart wants a Jawa or Hness (or the latest iteration of this).

Also what would be a better option, the Hness or the Jawa 42 2.1 and why?

Have you tried the New Meteor 350?

It is super comfy and perfect for everything. Plus, it fits right in the budget.
Not to mention, customization and extended warranty.
Old 21st February 2021, 19:38   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Also what would be a better option, the Hness or the Jawa 42 2.1 and why?
Remember one key consideration of mine is comfort for my height.
I wouldn't recommend the Jawa. I have both a RE Classic 500 and a Jawa (not the 42). The Jawa looks great as a styling exercise, but has lousy ergonomics, uninspiring engine note (even after getting the baffles removed), cannot seat any reasonably sized passenger in comfort, and cannot clear the infamous Bangalore speed breakers without scraping its underbelly. You are better off with the Honda H'ness CB350 or something from the Royal Enfield lineup.
Old 21st February 2021, 22:48   #24
BHPian

Between the Jawa and the Honda, it must be the latter any day. Do not let the Jawa's styling lure you. Rather than trying to build a well-finished product, they milked the nostalgia surrounding the brand by delivering a half-baked product and accepting more orders than they could build. On the other hand, if you can wait it out a little, the new-gen UCE 350 engine which powers the Meteor will also be introduced on the Classic and the Bullet.
Old 22nd February 2021, 11:13   #25
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd February 2021 at 07:02.
clementw is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd February 2021, 14:10   #26

Quote:
Hello Petrolheads, in a bit of a dilemma here and some outside perspective might help.

For some reason a 'buy a bike' bug has bitten me and it seems to be more powerful than a radioactive spider that bit one Peter Parker. The problem is, my current ride, a 13 year old TVS Apache 180 RTR (on which I have spent some 10k total to fix in just the past 6 months) I had ridden for not more than 5,000 Kms or so in 10 years. It is at 35k km because the past 2 years it was with a cousin of mine who needed a bike.
I took up regular riding after a gap of 17 years when I used to ride my Bajaj classic SL and my uncle's Yezdi Classic. I got the Honda CB350 by booking it on launch and paid the amount after a single test ride. I did consider Jawa (I really loved my uncle's Yezdi), but didn't opt for it because of the persistent QA issues highlighted in different forums. I would have also considered the Meteor, but it wasn't launched when I got the delivery of the CB350. Looking at it now, I would still have gone with the CB350 because I use the bike mainly in the city.

I find the CB350 very easy to ride in the city. The good low end torque also helps. The riding position is neutral and I am not facing any issues with the seat height (I'm 5'8''). If the roads are very rough I mainly use it for my office commute - 25 kms one way, about once or twice a week. I also go on the occasional weekend rides. I find it more convenient to use my father's Activa for the grocery/milk run. Overall, I am happy with my purchase.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd February 2021 at 14:23.
Old 22nd February 2021, 17:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post
. Even I am of a similar height 5'5".

The interceptor is quite heavy and the footpegs ergos are weird for us with short legs especially while pushing out of parking, but the engine is glorious.
Even I'm of similar height and owned an Interceptor for 8 months. Do not hesitate to buy this 650cc beast because of the foot peg issue, its a very minor adjustment which we will not even notice after few days. Anyways, we will never park a heavy bike like Inteceptor on the slopes as it becomes very difficult to even pull it out.
rahulskumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 17:14   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Even I'm of similar height and owned an Interceptor for 8 months. Do not hesitate to buy this 650cc beast because of the foot peg issue, its a very minor adjustment which we will not even notice after few days. Anyways, we will never park a heavy bike like Inteceptor on the slopes as it becomes very difficult to even pull it out.
Rightly said, it is too good a package to avoid at this price point. Do you face any challenges riding the bike in heavy traffic due to its weight or engine heat? My short experience riding the bike is that the exhaust pipes become very hot in traffic. Let's hope RE puts better heat shields on the pipes. I burnt my shin slightly while riding the Himlayan BS3 version and navigating an off road section
Old 22nd February 2021, 22:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Between the two, CB350 anyday for peace of mind and if you want to wait, I think new classic350 will have that true retro look.

However looking at your words, I feel you will do just fine without any of them

I too was waiting for meteor and cb350 due to this imaginary bug and after that initial excitement phase, wondering if I really need one !!

I end up taking my car even for a grocery shopping(perks of owning an AMT alto) with the convenience of AC and music. Realised that my idea of having a bike was more for that "me time", which I can do in car as well.

Coming back to bikes, keep your activa(or that wego will do just fine and dispose both activa and rtr) and may be rent a bike to satisfy your cravings. If you still feel like buying one, go for it.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 22nd February 2021 at 22:53.
rajshenoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 00:02   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post
Rightly said, it is too good a package to avoid at this price point. Do you face any challenges riding the bike in heavy traffic due to its weight or engine heat? My short experience riding the bike is that the exhaust pipes become very hot in traffic. Let's hope RE puts better heat shields on the pipes. I burnt my shin slightly while riding the Himlayan BS3 version and navigating an off road section
I used to do solo rides, even completed 850 kms day ride with ease. To be frank, I sold the bike due to the hot and humid weather conditions in Kerala. The bike is best when ridden solo.

The silencer does get hot, may be the pillion might feel the heat. I have managed to ride with sandals without any issue.

Things I did not like
1. Speedometer console is not smart. No clock etc.
2. Tubed tires. I completed 8000 kms before selling. But during every ride I had this fear of what to do if I get stranded out on the highway, even though I did not had a single puncher during my ownership.
3. Seat was a bit soft , can be modified easily.
4. May be headlight focus but not much of a concern.
5. I felt slight loss of power during peak noon time hot weather conditions. May be ecu adjusts power delivery as this is an air cooled engine.

Last edited by rahulskumar : 23rd February 2021 at 00:04. Reason: Added points
rahulskumar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks