Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2021, 18:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Harley-Davidson kills its entry-level motorcycles in US market (including the Street 750)

Harley-Davidson will no longer offer the Street models in the US. This means that the cheaper offerings of the brand - Street 500, Street 750 and Street Rod will no longer be available.

The cheapest Harley will now be dearer by over US$ 2,600 (~Rs. 1.89 lakh). The Street motorcycles were priced at US$ 6,899 for the Street 500, US$ 7,599 for the Street 750 and US$ 8,699 for the Street Rod. The lowest priced Harley will now be the Sportster Iron 883 at US$ 9,499.

The Street 750 was first launched in India at the 2014 Auto Expo. It was made at the bikemaker's Bawal plant in Haryana, the first plant outside the USA. The Street 750 and the Street 500 were also exported to other European and Asian markets from India.

Harley-Davidson will however continue to offer the Street 500 to its H-D Riding Academy training dealers.

In 2020, the company announced a restructuring in India and discontinued its sales and manufacturing operations in the country.

Harley-Davidson kills its entry-level motorcycles in US market (including the Street 750)-harleydavidsonstreet75067.jpg

Source - Jalopnik

Last edited by blackwasp : 29th January 2021 at 18:27.
blackwasp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 19:36   #2
BHPian

re: Harley-Davidson kills its entry-level motorcycles in US market (including the Street 750)

I think this might be the right decision.
One of our fellow forum-members posted his heart-felt frustration of the Street 750 on this thread-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...eet-750-a.html (My 1-star review of the 2016 Harley Street 750)

His frustration is so genuine and vivid that you can feel it fluttering in your veins if you read through it.

In any case, I believe Harley was always an American bike that symbolized American aspirations and grandeur, and these low-end models just didn't fit the Harley image and agenda.
nishsingh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 09:52   #3
BHPian

re: Harley-Davidson kills its entry-level motorcycles in US market (including the Street 750)

Should have used the 750 as a platform and turned it to a scrambler and and ADV, which is what the market is clamoring for right now. The motorcycle sucked as a whole, but the engine had oodles of low end grunt and torque and would have been apt as a no frills scrambler(of course, not at the price that Harley would have commanded in the name of premium bikes!)
Neo18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 10:34   #4
BHPian

How are 500 and above cc Harleys termed small motorcycles?

At least in India, where the average bikes are between 100-250 cc range?

What am I missing here?

Last edited by RedTerrano : 30th January 2021 at 10:34. Reason: Typos. Duh!
Old 30th January 2021, 11:48   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
How are 500 and above cc Harleys termed small motorcycles?

At least in India, where the average bikes are between 100-250 cc range?

What am I missing here?
These are the entry level motorcycles in the Harley Davidson range. Compared to their traditional offerings, these are small capacity motorcycles. But as you said, they are middle weight segment bikes when compared to the open market.

This short sighted move seems to have impacted only the US market. So now they dont have any affordable motorcycle to attract the first time buyer. What will Harley Davidson USA do when their current crop of customers becomes too old to ride motorcycles?

I would give the brand's chances of survival another 5 - 10 years, at most.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 12:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Harley wants to become Rolls Royce of 2 wheelers.
Perhaps the CEO trying to focus on margins rather than volume?

You know how you need to "show" something new being done.

Last edited by alpha1 : 30th January 2021 at 12:35.
Old 30th January 2021, 16:09   #7
BHPian

Purists didn't like them, people who bought these couldn't live with them, and these were not exactly setting the sales charts on fire either, so all in all good riddance. But, we can't rule out the possibility of a Hero Super Splendor/Glamour 750?
tchsvy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 06:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

One of the Indian two wheeler companies should buy the rights and tooling for the Revo X V twin liquid cooled HD engine used in the Street. It's gem of an engine especially if any production related quality issues are resolved.

HD needs the money and there is no point retaining and engine they wont be using in the future. Perhaps this is the V twin motor that a production version of Enfield's KX Concept needs.
shortbread is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 22:30   #9
BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson kills its entry-level motorcycles in US market (including the Street 750)

Having extensively ridden (& owned) Iron 883 as well as a friends Street 750, the street was a beautiful machine to drive..the engine is a gem, and I couldn't find any fault with the ergonomics as well. I think the problem was the so called 'character' and looks which most HD aficionados look for

Iron 883 was an extremely limited machine compared to the street. It just looked too good
Bhatt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 16:29   #10
BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson kills its entry-level motorcycles in US market (including the Street 750)

Ditto to all the comments on the thread. You can find all sorts of criticisms and flaws in the Street 750, many of them valid; but you won't find anyone complaining about that engine. It was close to perfect for the Indian and Asian markets.

To me it felt like Harley made a great engine, and then just couldn't be bothered keeping up that level of effort for the rest of the bike. That's where the complaints about "character" and whatnot come from. It's like someone else built the rest of the bike around that engine.

The impression I got from my test ride of the Street 750 was that it almost felt like Harley wanted you to know that you were buying "the cheapest Harley", almost like this impression was on purpose. And if true, I get that logic. But you can't call a 6 lac motorcycle "entry level" when you compare with what else you could buy with that kind of money in any other showroom, and certainly not when you compare spec sheets and features.

At any rate, I'm sad to see it go, because the bike had such potential and promise. If only Harley went all-out on the 750, they could have given RE and everyone else a real run for their money.
marcussantiago is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 04:45   #11
BHPian

I definetly welcome this move from Harley. Having test riden the Street 500 and 750 along with the Iron 883 when I wanted to buy a HD, hands down my heart went with the Iron 883 and ended up buying the same. IMHO, the streets did not make justice to the HD brand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks