Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2021, 00:22   #1
BHPian

The Atum 1.0 Electric Motorcycle - Max speed of merely 25 kmph

Atum has launched Atum 1.0 electric bike. Link to their website.

Some specs and pic from their website.
48v 250 W motor
47v 27 Ah battery Li-On
Charge time 3-4 hours
Battery warranty 2 years
Swappable battery
Range 100 km/charge
Top speed: 25 km/h

It has the looks of a cafe racer but it is actually in the Yulu miracle category
The tank plastic looks like household water tank quality. The vertical slat in it does not look like user friendly.
Attached Thumbnails
The Atum 1.0 Electric Motorcycle - Max speed of merely 25 kmph-atum.jpg  

fordday is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 08:04   #2
BHPian

re: The Atum 1.0 Electric Motorcycle - Max speed of merely 25 kmph

Quote:
The vertical slat in it does not look like user friendly.
Reminded me of the Rajdoot 175 which sported a rectangular fuel tank. We had nicknamed it the family planning bike!

Their current offering is for 49,999/-
With a Li-On battery pack, I cannot imagine how they are able to manage that. From what I understand price is the major hurdle when it comes to Li-On batteries.

Last edited by RedTerrano : 8th January 2021 at 08:09.
RedTerrano is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 08:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
The vertical slat in it does not look like user friendly.
I saw a few product videos and the tank is designed so that you can carry a spare battery for the bike in it to potentially double the claimed 100 km range, or fit a half faced helmet.

Still I would definitely pick this over a Miracle if they were both parked at a Yulu stand. However all the styling and plastic belies the electric cycle underneath. The entire front end is from some bicycle.

And this is quite the claim on their website:
Quote:
For a lightweight bike, Atum 1.0 will have no bumpy rides even with a 150 kg load.
when you all the rear suspension you have is a fat tyre and a thick seat. Forget how 185 kg will be stopped by that papad looking brake disc.

The youtubers were given review bikes with speeds unlocked upto 43 kph. All customer bikes are limited to 25 kph. Where I come from, this is called a bait and switch. Unfortunately for public use without license, the comments section for most of this cycle's videos is full of:
  • How you unlock the speed of 40kmph....
  • They say it's 25km but it will run at 40+
  • I have a question, how did you unlocked the speed and what millage you are getting when you use it at 40kmph ?
  • But I want to have 30 to 36 km speed.Can I change its Speed?
  • 25 kmph is too slow
  • Nobody is going to buy it unless you inform how to unlock the speed....

No registration means no insurance. This is definitely going to be a nightmare for other road users.
NoSugarNoSpice is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 09:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSugarNoSpice
All customer bikes are limited to 25 kph....Nobody is going to buy it unless you inform how to unlock the speed
Actually the 250W/25 KMPH exists for a valid reason. Electric vehicles of this specification require no testing/certification/registration, thus helping keep the cost low. The tradeoff is of course safety and as you rightly said, insurance.
For all those in the YT comments, this means the company will never take out the speed limiter. Of course this does not stop enthusiastic from fiddling around and inadvertently break the law.

The Atum 1.0 Electric Motorcycle - Max speed of merely 25 kmph-arai-exempt.png
RedTerrano is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 10:17   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Atum 1.0 Electric Motorcycle - Max speed of merely 25 kmph

In all seriousness, such a vehicle should never be allowed on public roads. 25 kmph is ridiculous - even for city use. It's the kind of bike which will hold up everyone else behind on something like Marine Drive which has a speed limit of 60 kmph.

Luckily, I have a feeling that the Atum will be a rare sight on our roads (if at all) due to the ridiculous top speed, and the fact that Atum is an unestablished startup.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 10:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSugarNoSpice View Post
The entire front end is from some bicycle.
It resembles my son's Hero Octane bicycle, except for the fat wheel

Quote:
when you all the rear suspension you have is a fat tyre and a thick seat.
Doesn't it have a rear suspension? I didn't notice any swing arm.

Quote:
No registration means no insurance. This is definitely going to be a nightmare for other road users.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In all seriousness, such a vehicle should never be allowed on public roads. 25 kmph is ridiculous - even for city use.
Agreed. The frustration it causes to other vehicle users can be hazardous for the rider. I have seen taxi drivers cursing and throwing up their hands in frustration once they get behind one of these. And dangerously push them to the edge of the road while overtaking.
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In all seriousness, such a vehicle should never be allowed on public roads. 25 kmph is ridiculous - even for city use. It's the kind of bike which will hold up everyone else behind on something like Marine Drive which has a speed limit of 60 kmph.

Luckily, I have a feeling that the Atum will be a rare sight on our roads (if at all) due to the ridiculous top speed, and the fact that Atum is an unestablished startup.
Exactly. An idiot going too slow on a highway is almost as dangerous as someone who is driving over the limit. This cant even do the half of the city speed limit (60 kph). It is a joke.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:05   #8
BHPian

The top speed isnt too worrisome if you consider using it for daily commute in a city like Chennai. My average speed to get to the office would be around 15kmph and a bike of this kind would suit the purpose. Would be pretty useful for students in college too.
SJ410 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:43   #9
BHPian

This is an e-bicycle folks, sans the pedal function. There are already plenty of e-bicycles for sale online. This category tops at 250W/25kph due to regulations which help them skirt the license and registration needs. In the case of this specimen, they removed pedal feature off a fatbike and added bigger batteries plus a higher performing motor. Thus it gets close to 100km range compared to a regular e-bicycle with around 30kms electric mode range.

I could see this as a loosely finished EV version of the Suzuki Choinori or Honda Ruckus. I wonder why it's getting attacked for its regulated top speed just because of its looks. All regulations applicable to any license-free 2-wheeler EV applies to this too.
SandyX is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 13:07   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
It has the looks of a cafe racer but it is actually in the Yulu miracle category
I think this is the issue. They have kept to the 25kmph specs that avoids registration and license needs, but the visual message that they are trying to convey is totally mismatched. The image conveys an impression that you put on your riding gear and take off on this. But then unfortunately you have to potter around at 25kmph. There are plenty of electric two wheelers that are there with this 25kmph restriction and they definitely serve a purpose and need. But launching an 'Electric Motorcycle' which actually is more of an 'Electric Cycle' , I think the messaging needs to be changed.
Rajeevraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 19:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
There are plenty of electric two wheelers that are there with this 25kmph restriction and they definitely serve a purpose and need. But launching an 'Electric Motorcycle' which actually is more of an 'Electric Cycle' , I think the messaging needs to be changed.
This is definitely an electric bicycle. It claims a weight of 35 kilos - has essentially bicycle suspension (none at the rear) - and a bicycle's top speed. Only think motorcycle-y about this is the fat tyres and the fake tank.

I'm guessing the "motorcycle" image is intentionally part of their marketing - to appeal to people who would dismiss an electric bicycle at its price point.
Old 8th January 2021, 21:58   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Agree 100%. Also, a note to people who think slow speeds are safer.

Such a slow speed will just be nuisance to the person driving and whoever is sharing the road.
Old 9th January 2021, 04:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post
This is an e-bicycle folks, sans the pedal function. There are already plenty of e-bicycles for sale online. This category tops at 250W/25kph due to regulations which help them skirt the license and registration needs. In the case of this specimen, they removed pedal feature off a fatbike and added bigger batteries plus a higher performing motor. Thus it gets close to 100km range compared to a regular e-bicycle with around 30kms electric mode range.
I get the regulation part but its not a cycle if it does not have pedals. The e-bikes have pedal assists not a direct electric motor to drive the wheels. You still have to pedal for it to move, the electric motors just reduce that effort. Even their range is similar to this one. Here is the FAQ
https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/ebike_faq/
Old 9th January 2021, 06:26   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I get the regulation part but its not a cycle if it does not have pedals. The e-bikes have pedal assists not a direct electric motor to drive the wheels. You still have to pedal for it to move, the electric motors just reduce that effort. Even their range is similar to this one. Here is the FAQ
https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/ebike_faq/
My reference is not a Trek premium example but a regular offering like this below. Pedal assist for this grade is 35-50kms while electric range is 25-35km. So, yeah these budget e-bikes are fully capable of pure electric running.
https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/b.../waltx-spark-3

Yes, I understand the grey area of not having pedals. But every single spec on this e-bike meets the requirements set by ARAI to be eligible for license-free use. ARAI AFAIK does not mention anything about pedals in there policy for 2-wheeler EVs/e-bikes. They just need it to top at 25kph/250W. I'll stand corrected if there's something on the contrary.
Old 9th January 2021, 08:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Why do electric motorcycle startups fixate on the *Without License* part?

Are we living in 1980s China where 'Nobody could own a car, *except few*'?

Is the best selling 2 wheeler an Atlas Goldline Shaan ki sawari?

Whom exactly are they trying to sell this to? The bicycle buyer would want to see pedals on this thing. The Hero Lectro has pedals, this doesn't seem to. Also, the Lectro costs like 50% of this thing and does exactly the same job. You can literally ride that one faster because you can use it in pedal assisted mode.

Why do people spend good money on absurd products? Another one that goes down the drain. Such a waste!
antz.bin is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks