Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2021, 15:51   #1
BANNED

Fork Sliders – Install or not?

A mechanic told me that fork sliders are not good because:

1. It creates more stress on the axle (during the crash) rather than absorbing some part of it
2. It affects the handling especially for bikes with USD forks

Are all these true?

I know that some load from the crash is absorbed by the fork sliders and then passed to the axle and no fork slider can prevent 100% of any damage.

Some more doubts:
  • Can I use front paddock stands like this after installing front fork sliders? Will it cause any disturbances?
  • What is the difference between a fork slider that comes with a full axle and sans any axle?
With:

Without:

mithun is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 16:27   #2
BHPian

Re: Fork Sliders – Install or not?

Quote:
It creates more stress on the axle (during the crash) rather than absorbing some part of it
How? Besides the axle rarely gets bent. Even if it does, the crash is doing the damage. Not the sliders.

Quote:
It affects the handling especially for bikes with USD forks
No it won't. Since the sliders are torqued at both ends, it should remain dynamically neutral.

Quote:
Can I use front paddock stands like this after installing front fork sliders? Will it cause any disturbances?
Yes you can paddock stand, provided the ends holding the sliders are matching. No it won't cause any disturbances.

Quote:
What is the difference between a fork slider that comes with a full axle and sans any axle?
Some bikes come with a hollow center where you can insert the axle and some don't have it.

Last edited by GTO : 8th January 2021 at 10:28. Reason: Please QUOTE others posts properly (using quote tags, not italics). Thanks
vishwasvr is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 16:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
A mechanic told me that fork sliders are not good because:
1. It creates more stress on the axle (during the crash) rather than absorbing some part of it
2. It affects the handling especially for bikes with USD forks
Some more doubts:
  • Can I use front paddock stands like this after installing front fork sliders? Will it cause any disturbances?
  • What is the difference between a fork slider that comes with a full axle and sans any axle?
With:
1) Wrong. No stress is created anywhere. It is only there to mitigate some of the damage to the discs and forks in case of a fall.
2) No. The sliders are purely external safety measure.
3) Yes you can. The paddock stand will have the option of using brackets that fit fork bobbins.
4) A hollow axle on some bikes gives the option of inserting the slider connecting rod.
5) Stop talking to this mechanic.
bigron is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 20:05   #4
BHPian

I crashed my RC on the race track at 80-90 kmph. Got up, completed the session and then rode my bike back home around 60 kms away with a slightly bent brake lever. I don't think this would be the case, if the sliders were not installed. My two cents.
ast.ggn is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 20:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
I crashed my RC on the race track at 80-90 kmph. Got up, completed the session and then rode my bike back home around 60 kms away with a slightly bent brake lever. I don't think this would be the case, if the sliders were not installed. My two cents.
I assume you saw some damage on the fork sliders? When I'd installed fork sliders on my Duke 390, I tried real hard to lay the bike on its side to figure out how they would ever come in contact with the ground, but couldn't do it. Even if the leg guards/frame sliders get bent/broken, the handlebar would still keep the fork sliders in the air, if the leg guards/frame sliders AND the handlebar is bent/broken, you've got bigger problems than the fork sliders could help. All that was done with a stationary bike in the backyard though, crashes could work differently, but that experience made me think fork sliders are unnecessary.

Also, never noticed fork sliders on any MotoGP/WSBK bike. You'd think if they worked that'd the place to use them?
RiderZone is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 20:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post

Are all these true?
Kinda. Frame sliders are for protection against cosmetic damage during small drops and slides. Not designed for high speed crashes because behaviour of any add-ons during a crash cannot be predicted. You won't find any on any race bike because of the extra weight.

Similarly, the extra weight can add to the unsprung mass and can technically alter handling.

But both are extreme conditions and if you are worried about such scenarios rather than the off chance drop on an inclined spot ruining your bike, probably should avoid. Else get one that looks good, matches the color and/or gives you paddock stand grooves.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 22:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
I assume you saw some damage on the fork sliders? When I'd installed fork sliders on my Duke 390, I tried real hard to lay the bike on its side to figure out how they would ever come in contact with the ground, but couldn't do it.
Frame sliders took the hit most and saved the entire fairing. Fork sliders had minor scratches but not to that extent, you might be right. I guess they would help more if the crash happened on a public road or let's say on an uneven surface like a pavement hit etc.
ast.ggn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 10:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
I assume you saw some damage on the fork sliders? When I'd installed fork sliders on my Duke 390, I tried real hard to lay the bike on its side to figure out how they would ever come in contact with the ground, but couldn't do it. Even if the leg guards/frame sliders get bent/broken, the handlebar would still keep the fork sliders in the air, if the leg guards/frame sliders AND the handlebar is bent/broken, you've got bigger problems than the fork sliders could help. All that was done with a stationary bike in the backyard though, crashes could work differently, but that experience made me think fork sliders are unnecessary.

Also, never noticed fork sliders on any MotoGP/WSBK bike. You'd think if they worked that'd the place to use them?
Fork sliders are for use when you dont have metal guards on the frame of the bike. Fork sliders go on in conjunction with frame sliders which are not as intrusive as guards.

On a high slide, a leg guard can catch undulations on a rough surface and flip you over. A frame slider does what it says on the tin...slide you to safety.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 22:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Believe it or not, fork sliders are the best investment after swingarm spools. Fork sliders protect forks from mild lowsides and tip overs that may topple the bike at a weird angle where the forks can take the hit.

Secondly, the type of fork sliders play a key role here. Some are small bobbins that are nothing but front paddock bobbins. The one that we should look for is a comparatively bigger and wider one which are dedicated fork sliders.

It's a worthwhile investment than expensive crashes and scratches both on the bike and the ego.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 23:38   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Are these fork sliders generic in nature or bike model specific?
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 16:13   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Are these fork sliders generic in nature or bike model specific?
Fork sliders are specific to bike models although some bikes like Duke & Husqvarna can use the same part.
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks