Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2020, 23:36   #1
BHPian

Buy new, buy used or rent for short-term usage?

Hello all! I'm trying to get some advice regarding my next bike purchase.

I might be moving to a different state in the next 3-8 months, and that's where my confusion starts.

I want to buy a new bike, but I'm worried about the charges and hassle I'll be facing when I move to a different state.

So I was thinking, if I should put off buying a new bike and get a second hand bike. But then, that would just be another temporary expense and I also would have to find a good bike.

That leaves me with renting a bike temporarily as and when I need it.

I would love to hear all your opinions about this. Thanks.
WinniedPo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 01:01   #2
BHPian

re: Buy new, buy used or rent for short-term usage?

You don't have do one thing only.

Rentals, I think are reasonably priced for most commuter vehicles. You can easily get an activa for a little more than it's monthy emi. Anything fancy will cost a lot. Its also pretty hassle free. Just a driver's license and you are good to go. Any issues with the vehicle mean you can switch the vehicle.(Note: Rental bikes are registered for IN-STATE use, you have to pay at checkposts if you travel out of state)

First hand ownership is hard on the pocket, but you get peace of mind. It also requires the most commitment, as first owner bears the biggest depreciation hit.

2nd hand ownership is a mixed bag, yes you get the bike for cheap. But only if you put in the effort to find a decent bike and do ownership transfer.

If you are keen on a particular bike and have an immediate requirement and finances seem sound, then go ahead and buy it. There will never be any more perfection than there is now. 3-8 months can have some great trips.

If nothing seems certain then go to the new state and rent some commuter to see if a 2 wheeler can work. Once things clear up, you can think about buying and settling down.
NoSugarNoSpice is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 01:28   #3
BHPian

re: Buy new, buy used or rent for short-term usage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinniedPo View Post
Hello all! I'm trying to get some advice regarding my next bike purchase.
Buying your own new bike would be my suggestion because:

a. You can do that immediately, any bike under you is better than just a plan for any bike under you

b. Having used a CH registered bike in Mumbai, and then an MH registered bike in Hyderabad, I've never faced any major hassles over the years, cops usually ignore puny out of state bikers

c. Having tried to buy a second hand Interceptor recently, I was just annoyed by the whole experience, the price difference between new and old wasn't too much, and the hassle of test driving and handling the whims of the owner and deciding and transfer of ownership was

d. No experience with commuter rental bikes, but as the previous commenter mentioned, they are only really good for within state travel, and to me it makes more sense to pay the EMI rather than the rent
RiderZone is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 07:43   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buy new, buy used or rent for short-term usage?

Whether cars or bikes, if a move is imminent, I would suggest going for used. Look at examples that are over 3 years old (and hence well-depreciated), and pick a model that is reasonably successful. That'll ensure you don't lose much at the time of resale and the sale happens fast. Like an Activa / Splendor among 2-wheels and a Swift if 4-wheels.

Over 8 months, this will work out cheaper than renting. Plus, with renting, the quality of vehicles is always suspect & it can't match the convenience of having your own vehicle parked down the house 24/7.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 08:06   #5
BHPian

Hi
IMHO, if change is imminent don't bother buying a new bike. Since you are from Chennai there are lot of options but renting is not ideal as most places demand a premium for renting and try to scam a bit more than you bargained for. You can buy per owned and 're sell it very shortly. The budget is up to you but quite flexible. For example in my circle I have seen people buying a 3year old Dominar for less than a lakh, Yamaha FZ version 2 for 50k, Honda unicorn which is one of the best city commuters for 35L. There are lot of options. You can own a bike with focussed search in a short while, but, go through check list recommended in team bhp, get a friendly mechanic to accompany you. Cheers.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 08:35   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

In a scenario of an up coming move, a new bike will not make sense. However, the whole situation would boil down to these few words:
Quote:
.. .. as and when I need it. .
So can you tell us - how often would you need the bike and for how long ? What would be your usage ? Regular / random ? Once you have this noted, you could decide if you want to buy a used bike, or just hire the auto's/cabs.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 09:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
how often would you need the bike and for how long ? What would be your usage ? Regular / random ? Once you have this noted, you could decide if you want to buy a used bike, or just hire the auto's/cabs.
I will be using the bike regularly every alternate day, and for some occasional longer trips over the weekend as well. Auto/Ola isn't a bad option for the regular commute , but I would have to calculate and check if that ends up costing me too much in the long run.

As per what everyone has replied though, it seems the better option would be going for a second hand bike. I was really looking forward to buying a new bike, but I guess I should be a little patient and not be impulsive.
Old 25th December 2020, 12:59   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm trying to get some advice regarding my next bike purchase. I might be moving to a different state in the next 3-8 months, and that's where my confusion starts.
But why do you need to buy a bike now, just when you might need to shift elsewhere? How have you been managing without bike so far?
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 13:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
But why do you need to buy a bike now, just when you might need to shift elsewhere? How have you been managing without bike so far?
I was not in India, and just moved back a few months ago. I was managing with an old Activa all this while, but the Activa is falling apart and isn't in the best of conditions anymore.

I was supposed to shift to Surat in August for work, but due to the pandemic, that got postponed to March, and now it's being postponed even further. So I've been putting off buying a bike since August, but I need a vehicle for transportation now.
Old 25th December 2020, 14:18   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will be using the bike regularly every alternate day, and for some occasional longer trips over the weekend as well. ......, it seems the better option would be going for a second hand bike. I was really looking forward to buying a new bike, but I guess I should be a little patient and not be impulsive.
I think you have answered your question. You could get a used bike now - may be the same model as the new one you had in mind. This may help you better decide on the bike.

And good you asked. It does help clear up things, as I have seen from personal experience.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 22:36   #11
BANNED

The best option in your situation is to buy a used bike. It will be a hassle to rent a bike every alternate day and it will also not be cost effective. You may however explore the option of renting a bike on monthly basis.
DhruvGupt@ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 18:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I was thinking, if I should put off buying a new bike and get a second hand bike. But then, that would just be another temporary expense and I also would have to find a good bike.
Getting yourself a new motorcycle should be out of the question with your impending move to another state.

Please get yourself a used motorcycle. When I was in a similar dilemma 3 years ago, I picked up a 9 year old Pulsar 180 with a carburettor for 18 grand. The motorcycle did its job beautifully - was economical to run and maintain. When the right time came, I upgraded to my Himalayan. I was getting the offers in the range of the same figure for which I had picked her up when I decided to finally sell her. Keeping a decade ok motorcycle taught me a lot of lessons regarding motorcycle maintenance as well!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 19:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

You have one more choice
  1. Buy the bike of your choice in your hometown. Chennai, I suppose.
  2. When you shift to another state (it looks like GJ from your earlier posts), carry the bike there.
  3. GJ charges 6% of the ex-showroom price as the lump sum road tax while registering a new bike purchased there. If the bike to be registered is up to 8 years old, they charge 15% of the lump sum tax amount for re registration. This comes to only 0.9% of the ex showroom price.
  4. Even if you have to pay 6% of your ex showroom price, still it will work out cheaper than the value erosion of a used bike under your ownership in GJ. I mean the difference between the buying and selling prices of an old bike in GJ.
  5. Plus you will save the time and efforts to source a used bike after shifting.
  6. Plus this will save you from the time pressure for selling the used bike when you decide to shift again to your hometown.
  7. Plus the bike will be available to you during your (almost) entire tenure.
  8. Re registration in the new state may take a but longer. But till then, you can carry the copy of application for re registration, in case the cops stop you. And anyway, the chances of the cops stopping a bike for this reason are very slim.
  9. By taking your new bike to GJ, you will also have an option of just using it without re registration and paying a fine (maybe totally in cash) if you feel it is going to be once in a blue moon.

Edit (more points):
Even if you buy a used bike in GJ, you need to re register it in your name. So it isn't going to save the paperwork and the cost.

And after selling the used bike at the end of your tenure, you will be always worried. Because till the next buyer re registers it in his name, you will be legally liable for the damages / offenses / accidents / criminal activities (if any) involving that bike. And in all probability, the next buyer may not re register the bike at all.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 27th December 2020 at 19:25.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 13:18   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I was not in India, and just moved back a few months ago. I was managing with an old Activa all this while, but the Activa is falling apart and isn't in the best of conditions anymore.

I was supposed to shift to Surat in August for work, but due to the pandemic, that got postponed to March, and now it's being postponed even further.
Only monetary point of view, its better to get the activa repaired and use it for few months and sell it when you are relocating, it should fetch you higher resale value too. If you want a better bike for highway travel you can rent that for a day or two or maybe a week.

Getting refund of road tax anywhere in India is a pain, most people would not have the patience to deal with government rto's

Last edited by Sri Vathsa : 28th December 2020 at 13:19.
Sri Vathsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 20:16   #15
BHPian

@Rahul Bhalgat, Thanks for your reply. It was quite informative and helpful. It's a completely different perspective and you mentioned quite a few things I hadn't considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post

GJ charges 6% of the ex-showroom price as the lump sum road tax while registering a new bike purchased there. If the bike to be registered is up to 8 years old, they charge 15% of the lump sum tax amount for re registration. This comes to only 0.9% of the ex showroom price.
Regarding this, is there some website from which I can more information or is this from personal experience? I've been trying to get some information regarding these details, but haven't had much luck.
WinniedPo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks