Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2020, 15:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Dad wants a Royal Enfield - Which one?

Hello BHPians!

My dad is going to be turning 50 soon and it's been his dream for a long time to own a Royal Enfield. Now, with the launch of the Meteor, this situation has become a bit of a sticky one. My dad likes the Meteor but he is also on the lookout for 500cc ones.

Requirements

- Has to be an RE.
- Has to be comfortable.
- Max budget of Rs. 2,50,000.
- Has to be suitable for city rides (maximum ~ 50KM)
- Mostly will be used as a weekend roundabout.

Dad's view

Dad is currently 49. He will be using the bike for getting about on weekends. He has loved the Bullet series ever since his 20s. And from what I've heard, his first love is that. He test rode both the Meteor 350 & Bullet 350 and admits that the Meteor is a much better package throughout. But, he feels that the Meteor, although sounding very close to a Bullet thump misses out on the 2 small bulbs present on either side of the headlight. Hence, he is on a dice between the Meteor Stellar and the Bullet 350 or a used Bullet 500.

So, my question is - Can these 2 bulbs be fitted on to the Meteor in anyway (DIY or by a garage?)

My view

I'm currently 15, will soon turn 16. In two years, I will have my license and since I intend to get around by avoiding public transport as much as I can, I will most probably use it too for going and coming to college too. And although, I'd prefer driving, it makes no sense in Mumbai roads for a college student to drive. Hence, I'd prefer the Meteor.
akash_v12 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 16:09   #2
KPR
BANNED

re: Dad wants a Royal Enfield - Which one?

Buy a less weighing machine for ease of handling rather than going for such heavy machines. The pain of parking it, lifting and parking it in tight gaps, moving it neutral, joining a slightly elevated tar road from sides of road are all but pain with such vehicles. For city/town usage these are quite heavy too. Instead buy a light weighing scooters which both of you can enjoy.

Instead you rent/borrow a RE bike for few days and see how these bikes fare in day to day commutes. RE is meant for cruising from Point A to B and then back. For errands these bikes are painful. I always use a Libero for my local errands and TB500 for long office commutes. If I drive TB to my office and while return I cannot park it in a medical shop, then in a grocery store and at last at a bakery before getting home in my TB.
KPR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 16:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Instead you rent/borrow a RE bike for few days and see how these bikes fare in day to day commutes. RE is meant for cruising from Point A to B and then back.
Hey KPR! Thank you so much for the response. As I mentioned in the opening post, this bike will not be ridden anytime usually except the weekends. Dad test-rode the Meteor in mid-day traffic and is comfortable with the weight. For errand purposes, we have a Pleasure & my elder cousin's R15 parked at my place.
akash_v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 16:43   #4
BHPian

RE plans to upgrade their range of bikes every quarter. That means either a new bike altogether, or upgrade of their existing models.
The new J Platform engine beginning with the Meteor, seems only the start.
Most likely, the same engine will be ported to the 350 models too, which will come factory fitted with the 2 small bulbs that your dad is keen on.
If you're willing to wait, (can't say how long, one hopes within the next year) then the new range of 350s might better fit.
If not, then for sure some or the other jugaad will be out there to get those small bulbs to fit on either side. Based on the load of positive reviews of the Meteor out there, you could take a call if you're ready to forgo the minor visual difference.

Not sure I helped any.
All the best
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 11:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dad wants a Royal Enfield - Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
RE plans to upgrade their range of bikes every quarter. That means either a new bike altogether, or upgrade of their existing models.
Hello shyamg28! If indeed the news about new 350s with the Meteor engines coming are true, then it is great! But, I'm not so sure about how much longer dad wants to wait now. It's already been 28 long years he has waited.

On another note, I've seen a Bullet 500 listed on a portal for Rs. 1,80,000. How good of a deal do you all think it is? It's a 2018, run 19k KMs and Stealth Black.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 11:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Hence, he is on a dice between the Meteor Stellar and the Bullet 350 or a used Bullet 500.
If he has an old school crush, he will have his heart on the Bullet 350. (Meteor will be his head purchase).

There is a different unique charisma the Bullet still, especially in all black color, which the classic / meteor cant replicate.

I think if it comes with self-start and ABS now, then get that bike. The Bullet charm can only be fulfilled by a Bullet (not any RE).
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 11:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Why Does he want an RE? why not look at the CB350! he will enjoy this bike much more.
Captain Slow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 11:12   #8
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Hey KPR! Thank you so much for the response. As I mentioned in the opening post, this bike will not be ridden anytime usually except the weekends. Dad test-rode the Meteor in mid-day traffic and is comfortable with the weight. For errand purposes, we have a Pleasure & my elder cousin's R15 parked at my place.
Then you should be seeing a less used TB500 or B500 for sure. Practical and serves the purpose. With so many 350s on the road I'm sure you'll not get that special factor with B350 or metor. 500 is a torquey monster.

Last edited by KPR : 15th December 2020 at 11:15.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 11:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Guys, thank you so much for your responses! We've to get in touch with the owner of the black Classic 500 which I found. If it does indeed work out, I will ensure to create a thread on it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
If he has an old school crush, he will have his heart on the Bullet 350. (Meteor will be his head purchase).
If the Classic 500 deal doesn't go through, I'm pretty sure it will be a Classic 350 or Bullet 350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Why Does he want an RE? why not look at the CB350! he will enjoy this bike much more.
That's going to have to be a no. He enjoys the joy of riding an RE unlike anything else. As mentioned earlier, it's a very, very old crush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Then you should be seeing a less used TB500 or B500 for sure. Practical and serves the purpose. With so many 350s on the road I'm sure you'll not get that special factor. 500 is a torquey monster.
akash_v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 11:43   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Has he not test ridden the interceptor? Dont discount that bike, just test ride it if budget is not a big problem to push through by another 50k. Well worth it imo.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 12:34   #11
BHPian

I own a 2017 Classic 500 and trust me, it has its own charm and don't think newer RE bikes can replicate that. As someone has rightly suggested, if your father is looking for the real experience, makes more sense to buy a preowned 500 machine than waiting for classic 350 to be upgraded to new J series engine. Do note though that brakes on older REs are no comparison to newer models as there is no ABS and feel is wooden. The only thing I hate about my bike are the brakes. Have heard 650 twins have much better braking and definitely deserve a look, so you may want to ask your father to also consider them.
samee_arian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 14:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

If it is all about RE, why not wait few more months and go for next gen classic 350 which might be exactly what your dad might be interested in. Not a fan of INT650 ergonomics, so the upcoming cruiser650 could be comfortable option as well.

If you are not willing to wait, Honda CB350 is another option you can consider.(although inspired by Japanese UJM than British)
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 08:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Has he not test ridden the interceptor? Dont discount that bike, just test ride it if budget is not a big problem to push through by another 50k. Well worth it imo.
Although budget shouldn't be an issue, he didn't test ride the Interceptor since he feels that the RE 'thump' is not present/too silenced. Also, it doesn't make any sense to buy a 650cc since it's only going to be used as a weekend roundabout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samee_arian View Post
I own a 2017 Classic 500 and trust me, it has its own charm and don't think newer RE bikes can replicate that. As someone has rightly suggested.
samee_arian, thank you so much for the response! If you don't mind I would like to PM you for a few questions on a Classic 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
If it is all about RE, why not wait few more months and go for next gen classic 350 which might be exactly what your dad might be interested in.
rajshenoy, thank you! As I mentioned in the earlier post, waiting doesn't seem like an option now for him. Also, there being no clear indication on when the next-gen bikes will be launched, it is difficult.
Old 16th December 2020, 08:30   #14
BHPian

IMO wait a bit more and get the next gen Classic/Standard 350. It will be all the positives of a Meteor in a Bullet frame. RE is my only pick too for a motorcycle brand but I won't get anything other than a Bullet based 350. The unibody nacelle with the 2 lights and fork sleeves is what hooks me too. I can fully relate to what your dad has in mind. it's a vintage pattern. Believe me, there's no alternate for that, unless compromised.
SandyX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 09:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

The only RE that warrants a serious look is the 650 Interceptor. A master stroke by RE given their abysmal product track record.

It is a brilliant jack of all multi purpose bike that works great in the Indian scheme of things. Also, if you eventually plan to ride it you might as well get something that looks good, is modern and will actually get you from point A to B.

And no, the twin pod lights cannot be fabricated onto the newer models. The question remains if your father wants to actually enjoy doing the weekend rides or prefer looking at it parked.

The market has moved on from the 90s/2000s Bullet 350 Standard and it absolutely makes no sense to get one today unless you are willing to get your hands dirty.

Last edited by bigron : 16th December 2020 at 09:58.
bigron is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks