Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2020, 16:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Are Cruisers more likely to injure a rider in case of an accident?

Motorcycle accidents have many more variables that a automobile accident.

There is no set safety test that can be applied with tangible results.

While this test may seem limited, the data is reliable when applied in the framework of the test.

May not work in all scenarios, as already debated.

This is definitely a great attempt to define the risks of motorcycle design and seating position.
Old 24th November 2020, 18:04   #17
BHPian

Frankly too much variables involved to draw a definite conclusion. However, what might be worth looking into is the fact that sports bike riders are more likely to wear protective riding gear than someone on a cruiser. Just look at a typical Ninja or Gixxer rider vs a Harley rider.
robbie_KL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 18:09   #18
BHPian

Couple of angles that need to be explored.

1. Is the speed at which injuries occur same for cruisers and sports bikes? IMHO, I have seen people falling off sports bikes even at lower speeds (thus may be a less serious injury) and not so much on cruizers unless you can't balance the weight itself.

2. Of the cruizer population, how many actually meet an accident? Both percentage wise and absolute numbers.

Apart from these, I have observed (purely based on limited data) that cruiser boys are usually not hellish on speeds. So except for the weight factor (man if a thunderbird falls on the leg don't expect to walk straight again) I see fewer accidents on cruizers. I doubt its assignement due to posture rather than weight. I personally find it easier to balance a cruizers on the highway than a sports posture bike.
Old 24th November 2020, 18:16   #19
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Let us assume a particular driver is most comfortable while sitting straight and hence is likely to loose balance, while in the forward/ racer position.

Now while the study shows that if an accident happens a person in straight position is at greater risk, it does not mention anything about the likelihood of accidents in either positions.

I believe one must ride in the position one is most comfortable, alert and in control.
Old 24th November 2020, 20:19   #20
BANNED

Ignoring the study one thing I can say for certain is that an indigenous cruiser is relatively unsafe due to its rake geometry and weight distribution taking into consideration an average rider who is used to commuters/sports bikes.

This is something that can bite anyone on the ass irrespective of age, mostly when pushing the motorcycle or even when panic braking at relatively lower speeds.

The lack of decent tyre options makes things even worse.

But again it is no reason to shun the category, a lot of commonsense and retraining or actually proper training with respect to handling and braking would go a long way, especially since a cruiser is not idiot friendly with respect to braking, ignoring proper procedure and blindly putting faith on the front brake is a sure shot means of biting the dust sooner or later.

Hope that helps,
Ride Safe,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks