Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2020, 12:41   #1
Team-BHP Support

Jawa Motorcycles crosses 50,000 unit sales

Classic Legends has announced that it has crossed 50,000 unit sales of Jawa Motorcycles. This has been achieved in an effective 12 months of full operations.

Jawa Motorcycles crosses 50,000 unit sales-jawa-bsvi-model.jpg

The company believes that the complete halt during the lockdown period has pulled down the sales and that the next 50,000 will come in a shorter period of time.

Jawa Motorcycles currently has three offerings in its portfolio - the Jawa, Jawa Forty Two and Perak. The company celebrated the delivery of 2,000 Peraks, during the few festive days of October 2020.

Jawa Motorcycles crosses 50,000 unit sales-perak.jpg

Sales of Jawa Motorcycles are not restricted to the Indian market alone. Classic Legends has also started exports of the motorcycles to Europe and Nepal.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Last edited by Aditya : 11th November 2020 at 12:42.
Aditya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 14:04   #2
BHPian

Re: Jawa Motorcycles crosses 50,000 unit sales

Jawa failed, not borderline but by a huge margin. The only thing it showed us was that there's no margin for error, when challenging the mighty Royal Enfield.

They built the hype right, product was good. The reliability not so much but the modern Enfields aren't no Toyota either. This was an example that patience isn't Indian consumer's best virtue(I know XUV500 would say otherwise).

Despite it's failure, somehow the Jawa was able to offer a wake-up call to RE. They've upped their game, Honda/TVS are going to come with all guns blazing. I'm assuming Imperiale wasn't successful either.

Last edited by Abhi5868 : 11th November 2020 at 14:05.
Abhi5868 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 14:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would love the understand the region-wise distribution of these numbers. I hardly spot any here in Delhi-NCR. I spotted a Blue/purple 42 yesterday, I can't even remember when I spotted a Jawa prior to that.
Old 11th November 2020, 14:56   #4
BHPian

Am not sure about the numbers. It would be better if they could provide a detailed data separated by sales in each state, specific model wise and numbers etc.
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 15:12   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Classic Legends has announced that it has crossed 50,000 unit sales of Jawa Motorcycles. This has been achieved in an effective 12 months of full operations.
Any visibility if this is actual sales to end users or just deliveries to dealerships? Coz although I have seen the odd bike on the streets, they are far and few. The number of Jawa ownerships on tbhp and xbhp forums itself should give a good indication!
Old 11th November 2020, 15:19   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
I would love the understand the region-wise distribution of these numbers. I hardly spot any here in Delhi-NCR. I spotted a Blue/purple 42 yesterday, I can't even remember when I spotted a Jawa prior to that.
I may not able to provide region-wise sales number but what I can provide is total no of Registrations of Jawa Bikes in India.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 4417
Size:  35.0 KB

These are my observations from above given data:
> Registration data is not matching with Unit Sales. It means more than 14000 bikes are lying in their showrooms or warehouses.
> They had steady sales increase from April 19 till March 2020 and then Covid happened. So I wont call it a sales dud considering Jawa being two years old company.
> JAWA bikes were aspirational products when they were launched. But due to delivery mismanagement (a big blunder!), company killed the initial vibe & hype and forced its customers to flee to other brands.

Registration Number courtesy Vahan Dashboard.
IshWish is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 13:51   #7

50,000 is a great number despite lockdown and COVID delays. I was curious to know the reason behind this achievement. Interestingly, Jawa Motorcycles has worked on their bikes throughout the lockdown and post that as well. Working for customer satisfaction was their topmost priority like I was reading some reviews about the uncomfortable seat which they addressed in the BS6 version. There are many examples like this. Also, the company’s mention of doing it in 12 months effectively is fair for a new company.

As per my research, they have earned this and they deserve this.
Shivank Sidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 16:06   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

What sort of a half baked media announcement is this? Classic Legends announces that it has crossed 50,000 unit sales of Jawa Motorcycles in 12 months but due to their operations being impacted by Covid, these are non sequential 12 months??!!

This is like the Indian middle order batsmen from the 80s and 90s saying that their batting average is very high when you take only home series scores and dont consider away series numbers!

Why doesnt Classic Motors just celebrate crossing their first 50,000 global sales without trying to get too cute with words?

Quote:
Do note that Classic Legends has set a target of 90,000 units of Jawa Motorcycles for this year, making a target of 7,500 units per month.
Link to above from Autopunditz, dated Feb 2019.

- Classic Motors does not report their monthly dispatch numbers to SIAM. That is why our monthly sales (dispatch) figures thread, we see zero under Jawa every month. Lets assume that their claim of sold 50,000 units sold till the end of October is correct.
- The average sales per month (even if we bake in exports) for Classic Motors is quite dismal. If we consider April 2019 as the start of their sales (well deliveries, but close enough), the monthly sales average is only 2,632 units.
- They were reportedly targetting sales of 90,000 units just in 2019. That is an average of 7,500 units a month. Look at the current average sales of 2,632 units a month. That is just 35% of last years average monthly target.
- Looking at only monthly figures is a bit confusing, since Classic Motors botched their rollout in 2019 and deliveries started only from April 2019. This is despite them taking bookings from Nov 2018 onwards. To be fair to Classic Motors, lets look at the numbers in totality as well, to get a better picture.
- Given the target of 90,000 units a year in 2019 and say a reasonable 10% growth in sales in 2020, Classic Motors should have had an average of 8,250 units a month this year. With these numbers * 10 months of the year down and adding last years target, we get ((8,250*10)+(90,000)) = 1,72,500 units sales target for 2019 + 10 months of 2020.

And here we are in November 2020, with Classic Motors celebrating a grand total in sales of just 50,000 units. That is not even 30% of where they thought they would have been.

Oh, and the giant that they planned to dethrone, Royal Enfield, dispatched 55,910 units just in September 2020.
neil.jericho is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 16:20   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The bikes were launched in Nov 2018 - and they essentially covered these numbers in 24 months of operations.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 10:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post

Here in Vasundhara, I recently spotted a new 42 and two Peraks (I didn't spot the same one twice). Their presence in Delhi NCR although not much do seem to be growing at an healthy pace
lancia_fanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 11:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

Oh, and the giant that they planned to dethrone, Royal Enfield, dispatched 55,910 units just in September 2020.
And now that the Honda Highness is here and the great response that it has been getting, Jawa can expect an even further downward journey.

Last edited by ask_017 : 13th November 2020 at 11:31. Reason: Correcting sentence.
ask_017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 12:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

The original Jaws and then the Yezdi used to have a perfect flat platform seat that was along with the string out fork, low stance, and engine firing (and the nifty kick cum gear) the USP 9f the Jawa/Yezdi legend.

One of my college mates who used to own one in college was desperate to buy one of these new incarnations and take his wife for a vacation ride into the mountains.

He loved the bike but said he had to nix it because the seat was enough barely for a rider and half. Three quarter length only.

He's now looking at the Meteor and the Honda.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 18:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshWish View Post
I may not able to provide region-wise sales number but what I can provide is total no of Registrations of Jawa Bikes in India.

These are my observations from above given data:
> Registration data is not matching with Unit Sales. It means more than 14000 bikes are lying in their showrooms or warehouses.....

Registration Number courtesy Vahan Dashboard.
Thanks for that Ishwish!

So in two years of operations, 50k Jawa motorcycles were made while they sold/registered around 35,800 motorcycles in India.

In terms of M&Ms previous two wheeler ventures, the Jawa has had a decent start if nothing spectacular. RE is way ahead in terms of sales, which was expected. With a slew of launches lined up, Enfield will remain in a league of its own.

That said I have a feeling the Jawas total sales figures are going to be humbled by the Honda Highness in a matter of months. M&M's usual strategy when under sales pressure is massive discounting, which might backfire in a segment where desirability and prestige are important to customers.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 22:23   #14
BHPian

An opportunity missed by a huge margin by Jawa. As already mentioned in the thread it has put the Royal Enfield on guard and are now forced to improve on quality. The competition in this segment is just getting hotter and it's going to be interesting to see how players like Honda change the game.
Jude300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 15:01   #15
BHPian

Whatever they are trying to depict is far from reality. My childhood buddy owns Jawa dealership in one of the Metro cities and sad to say that he's winding down the business. The monthly sales is 30 - 40 units only and since few bikes are sold, so the number of bikes that turn up for servicing will also be less and as a result he's suffering huge losses in both sales and service. Also the inquiries for new bikes are very low and he doesn't see any future prospects of growth in this business.

His background - He is into this family business of automobiles since decades and has been running other automobile dealerships successfully.
auto_enthusiast is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks