Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2023, 14:56   #91

Re: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRasTan4986 View Post
Tappet noise will be there for the first 3k kms. The engine has to set in and will take time to do so. After careful run in this will be negligible with regular maintenance.
I have now done 2K Kms and still have tappet noise. There is no tappet noise when the engine is cold. After some time when the engine becomes warm, I can easily hear them. It's sometimes disconcerting.

There are no issues with pickup or power, but would be nice if there is no nice.

The RE service centers casually say it's expected and there is nothing to worry Accepted mediocrity I guess.
karthikkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 14:37   #92

This is one really beautifully compiled ownership thread. Was really helpful when i was finalizing on my beast. Stellat Matte Black
Old 15th February 2023, 21:08   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikkr View Post
I have now done 2K Kms and still have tappet noise. There is no tappet noise when the engine is cold. After some time when the engine becomes warm, I can easily hear them. It's sometimes disconcerting.

There are no issues with pickup or power, but would be nice if there is no nice.

The RE service centers casually say it's expected and there is nothing to worry Accepted mediocrity I guess.
Yes most of the RE service centres are that way unfortunately. I have stopped giving my 650 there for a year and a half now. But I'm surprised the 350s are receiving this treatment. Any good FNG you know? You might want them to have a look at it if it's really getting bothersome.
Old 2nd August 2023, 05:35   #94
BHPian

Run-in my new Royal Enfield Meteor 350 and had the first service today. I have been using cars a lot up until now, so it's my first bike and the first Royal Enfield (or Bullet, as the eponym goes).

Due to monsoons, the bike is 30 days old, and only completed 525 kilometres by intermittent use and running-in. As I live close by hilly terrains, put off the urge to ride up the hills until first 1000kms. Later, I'll start the mountain rides as I get safety gear. I'm in no hurry or mood to stock up on low-spec wearables. So currently I'm making lists of sizing differences and reading up on CE specifications and safety ratings.

Run-in procedure was leisure rides of 30-60 kms, at moderate speeds (varying +10/-10 kmph). Never crossed 60 kmph. Found an old highway and back country roads to keep speeds in limit. Have started keeping a camera in my backpack, it makes me scout locations and sometimes brings me to a stop, in addition to stopping for quenching thirst and for hunger pangs.

The bike's harshness has now reduced with gears engaging smoothly. The only 2 wheeler I had regularly ridden before was an Activa and a Vespa 150, so I'm quite new to the gears and the clutch lever.

I need to know a few things:
1. Should the rear bumper assembly be 100% aligned to the centre of the rear tyre? I don't find it exactly at the centre. Even taking a walk at the RE ASC floor to see the other bikes, the rear tyre seemed to be off-center on many models.

2. The rear brake has become mushy to the point that it lacks bite. I found it important only after I tried to cross the 60 kmph figure after the first service. I understand that it still needs to go at modest speeds. But shouldn't the SOP of service ensure the brakes work as intended?

3. It always rained on my return trips in evenings. Tried washing at home next day with Turtlewax Car wash a few times. Is it fine to ride a new bike in moderate rains? Do I need to regularly carry out chain clean and chain lube after a few weeks of wet and soily, muddy rides?

4. As I'm new to bikes, what should I look for during pre-ride visual inspection?

I know the queries sound noob, but I'm definitely looking for expert wisdom on them since I've driven more cars than 2-wheelers.
Old 2nd August 2023, 08:30   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3mnzu View Post
I need to know a few things:
1. Should the rear bumper assembly be 100% aligned to the centre of the rear tyre? I don't find it exactly at the centre. Even taking a walk at the RE ASC floor to see the other bikes, the rear tyre seemed to be off-center on many models.
The rear mudguard and tyre should be aligned. However, if it is not, it's not a major issue unless it's so off that it scrapes the tyre from one side. During the next service get it fixed. Maybe loosening/tightening a few nuts and bolts, an odd spacer or even a tug on the short end will re-align it.
Quote:
2. The rear brake has become mushy to the point that it lacks bite. I found it important only after I tried to cross the 60 kmph figure after the first service. I understand that it still needs to go at modest speeds. But shouldn't the SOP of service ensure the brakes work as intended?
No compromise on brakes. However, yours is a new bike. Ride it and give some time for the pads to set in. Till such time, it may be a little noisy. But in no case should it lack bite or be spongy. Ride it for some good distance and check properly. If you are not sure, get it checked at the service centre. If required, get the system bled.

Quote:
3. Is it fine to ride a new bike in moderate rains? Do I need to regularly carry out chain clean and chain lube after a few weeks of wet and soily, muddy rides?
Sir, bikes are meant to be ridden, not kept in the garage. As long as you don't abuse/misuse it, and maintain it regularly, it will be happy to carry you safely in any weather. Cleaning and Lubing is generally done at intervals of 400-500 kms. However if the bike is used in heavy rains and the chain lube seems to have got washed away and the chain is causing noise, please clean and lube it. This will generally be rare because lubes after drying stick to the chain. See the condition and take a call.

I don't use my bike for daily commuting and only in weekends for distances more than 200 kms. And I do clean and lube the chain after every weekend ride. Also, i would suggest buy a can of WD 40 during the monsoon and spray on the areas prone to rusting. It's a good product and aids in preventive maintenance.

Quote:
4. As I'm new to bikes, what should I look for during pre-ride visual inspection?
Visually, you can only check the following
  • no leaks underneath the bike
  • the tyres for deflation
  • the forks for signs of leakage
  • engine oil level
However, it is recommended that you do a physical inspection before every ride in which you check the following
  • free play of all levers
  • all electricals for proper functioning, ie the lights, indicators, horn etc.
  • let the engine idle for minimum 90 seconds after the first start of the day and check for any unusual sounds.
That should make you good for a fuss free ride.

Hope that helps.
aviator1101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 19:29   #96
BHPian

Escalated the braking issue to the service centre today, also reached out to the customer support as I wasn't fully satisfied with the 1st service.

The bakes were working fine before the 1st service.

In the 1st service, I waited in the lounge for 4+ hours, and was out for an early lunch as the estimated time of completion was given as 1630 hrs.

After the service I was told that the brakes are wet and will have reduced function until they dry.

It's been 2 days, the bike is in the garage, a dry and open space at home. The brakes are still mushy. I'm unable to ride with such soft brakes. Wiped the discs with a new microfiber cloth, yet a test ride felt the same. Also, two screws on top of the brake reservoir have been mixed with with some other screws which show wear and tear. Suspecting tampering with my bike, I have raised complaints to the customer support.

The telephonic response had been very disappointing. Both the call centre and the service centre failed to instill any sense of responsibility at their end.

Asked them basic things: Service/Complaint Escalation Matrix/Method and updation of 1st Service Records in the official Royal Enfield App. They denied both requests. Have written to them about the I'll treatment.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-screenshot_20230803191538_outlook.jpg  

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-screenshot_20230803191633_gmail.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2023, 19:56   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post

Visually, you can only check the following
  • no leaks underneath the bike
  • the tyres for deflation
  • the forks for signs of leakage
  • engine oil level
However, it is recommended that you do a physical inspection before every ride in which you check the following
  • free play of all levers
  • all electricals for proper functioning, ie the lights, indicators, horn etc.
  • let the engine idle for minimum 90 seconds after the first start of the day and check for any unusual sounds.
That should make you good for a fuss free ride.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, Aviator1101
I had been doing a few, like engine idle and visual checks. This gives me a breakup of exactly where to set my eyes.

I hope to find the cause of brakes giving me a tough time. Definitely will get them bled in my own presence.
h3mnzu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 18:47   #98
BHPian

The bike has completed 4000 kms by now. It is only taken on touring rides.

Wisdom awoke me with fact that the RE factory settings are perfect and are made so that the bikes age gracefully.

There had been no mods on the Meteor 350 until the third service, only a few tape reflectors on the rear bumper and on the front crash guards. Then I happened to tour through the Sirmour Estate along Uttarakhand's Paonta Sahib - Nahan - Kumarhatti (Himachal) - Chandigarh. Already living just below the mountains makes me traverse the hills, rather than climb/ride up to them.

Had a few days to kill in Chandigarh and that's where the bike had it's first encounter with the bike-mod-gods, at The Thumper's Cafe, Chandigarh. Even there, it had just one thing installed on the handlebars, the knuckle guards. Rest were my gear puchases like a Tank Bag and branded riding Gloves(was using Decathlon winter/gym gloves until then).

For the next day, booked a hotel next to an authorised service centre and got my Tappets done professionally for hill touring at RE Service Centre. Man those guys were so professional! They even fixed my clutch levers towards softer setting. Got both front and rear brake pads replaced at the same time before my own eyes and got to know the bleeding kit. They didn't bleed the brakes though.

The master tech advised me to fix one thing at a time and ride atleast 3 separate places to get to know the vehicle's response. Sometimes the bikes require troubleshooting and only one Master tech is available, so we must be very selective with the work being done on the bikes.

As I write this today, I'm on the way back from a 250+ km mountain ride via Mussoorie-Dhanaulti-Narendranagar-Rishikesh-Dehradun. The bike overheated, allowing me to have a lavish break of salads and lassi at a restaurant. I hope to utilize a car wash nearby, see if they can use a low pressure wash for me in another 1 hour or so.

The service is booked in next 2 days, but in this brutal heat as I'm down in the plains now, I'm sure the dust on the engine block is more than sufficient for a reason to overheat. Damn, I should have opted for a full drain oil change after the tappets were done. But they advised me against it citing sudden viscosity change affecting the tappets even more (as I had discussed with them my 6 hour plus non-stop touring).

I hope an outside mechanic is waiting for me to get frustrated with the authorised service centres!
h3mnzu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks