Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2020, 14:04   #31
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghavEvoX View Post
Congratulations on your purchase and a very good detailed review.

I have a question.
As most of the accessories are bought in MIY program which is directly fitted in the factory, does it make sense to pay the full price ? You should have paid for the Touring mirror kit minus the default mirror price and touring seat minus the default seat price . Otherwise they should give you the default ones as spare(because it's included in the ex-showroom price).
If both are not done, then RE is just looting in the name of MIY. Can anyone clarify ?
I had the same question but thought may be the price RE is asking for customisation of the new bike is the price difference only. Another way to look at it would be, can we do these modifications later (after taking the bike delivery) and still pay the same price to get such modifications done ?
Old 13th December 2020, 16:01   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscosity View Post
Congratulations on buying this beauty. The bike looks classy in the combination which you have selected. Wish you many more happy miles ahead and please keep the thread updated. I have a Thunderbird, 2008 model and may want to change in a few years.

On the heat from the engine, please check once that carb is tuned correctly. I can vouch from my personal experience on similar heat from engine on my Thunderbird which for many years was running on whatever setting service centre and local mechanics had done but later when I myself invested time to learn and figure out how carb tuning needs to be done in a Thunderbird I found out it was not optimal. I can feel the difference in heat and general bike performance after my own setting. As it requires patience and tuning experiments to find optimum point of carb, many mechanics may not pay attention or want to do it. I am not sure whether this applies to Meteor or not, just sharing my experience.

On picking a number of your own choice, if i had the option to pick between 3500 to 4500, I would have taken 4444. I know it's a personal choice and it differs, just sharing my first thought on it and just for a casual experiment I asked the same question to my wifey to pick a number in that range, you know she actually suggested same 4500.
Thanks for the suggestion on tuning. Will try it after the warranty period. Regarding the number, 4444 was also our first choice but in TN, its a Govt Number and I have to shell out 48,000 to get that number. Its almost 25% of the price of the bike. Thats why we (my Wife) chose 4500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Wonderful review @Rajesh. Such reviews rekindle my desires for taking one more shot at bike riding. Can you comment on the weight and general handling for a newbie rider in mid40s who doesn’t want to ride fast and hard, but generally cruise around with pillion? I am 5’10 with medium build.
What a coincidence. I am also in my mid 40's, doesn't want to ride hard and fast and takes pillion almost every single time. Difference is that I am 5'5". Weight is manageable (191 kgs). At times I felt hard to move the bike around and U turns are a bit on the heavier side with pillion (its a front heavy bike). I regularly exercise and am able to manage it just enough. Once you get used to it, you won't feel the weight (personal experience)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi,
Regarding riding groups, we have a lot in Chennai. I would recommend MBMC who I have ridden with in the past and I am still in touch with few of them. Given the corona situation I don't think there is any monthly meetings or rides being organised but I am sure they will start soon. If u r interested I can find out when and where is the next meet. I would suggest meeting them and get a feel of the group and doing a couple of short rides before planning to tour.
Thanks. Would be great if you could introduce me to the MBMC folks and I can join them on their next breakfast ride.

Quote:

I have a question.
As most of the accessories are bought in MIY program which is directly fitted in the factory, does it make sense to pay the full price ? You should have paid for the Touring mirror kit minus the default mirror price and touring seat minus the default seat price . Otherwise they should give you the default ones as spare(because it's included in the ex-showroom price).
If both are not done, then RE is just looting in the name of MIY. Can anyone clarify ?
If you could refer to my booking receipt provided on the post, they didn't charge me for the seats. They charged only for the mirrors. Didn't think to ask that question. Let me check with them and get back to you on the mirror part. Thanks for telling me that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheStorm View Post
Congratulations! I've booked Stellar Blue with customization and can't wait for the delivery (sometime in January hopefully)
Never been a fan on group rides, but will be happy to join you and other Meteor owners for a couple of breakfast rides to share experience and tips.
1. I have only one question, : What will be the maximum all day cruising speed in your opinion (and from experience).??

Came across this interesting video on Motorcycle break in ( Fortnine usually makes high quality content)

https://Youtu.be/u74jYkItdD8
Congrats on the booking. Either we can join others or we can plan among us for a little ride around Chennai. Let your bike get delivered and once you complete run-in, we can plan. Am not sure as to how to send PM but if you have access to send PM's, we can keep in touch.

All day cruising speed will be 80-100 kph. I did these speeds on my Bangalore trip and back.

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th December 2020 at 19:22. Reason: Back to back posts merged
rajeshkmoorthy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 18:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

I have a CB350, and someone in my riding group got his brand new Meteor and I rode it for a few miles. The bike picks up speed quite fast, and the riding posture was to my liking. The customizations on this bike was insane. He had literally fitted everything on it. RE has indeed come a long way!
Sebring is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 21:39   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I have a CB350, and someone in my riding group got his brand new Meteor and I rode it for a few miles. The bike picks up speed quite fast, and the riding posture was to my liking. The customizations on this bike was insane. He had literally fitted everything on it. RE has indeed come a long way!
Both Meteor and CB350 bikes are almost in same ballpark in terms of weight. Which one feels lighter to ride, especially with pillion, and taking turns/u-turns? How is handling between the two? I remember reading that CB350 feels very light while riding compared to its weight, and is very maneuverable. is it same with Meteor too?
sanchari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 21:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

They are different bikes. CB is much more nimble on turns (Handling is light), Meteor scores on pillion rider comfort (Feels really planted). Both have their merits. But happy to note that Meteor is a rocking bike that India has produced
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
Both Meteor and CB350 bikes are almost in same ballpark in terms of weight. Which one feels lighter to ride, especially with pillion, and taking turns/u-turns? How is handling between the two? I remember reading that CB350 feels very light while riding compared to its weight, and is very maneuverable. is it same with Meteor too?
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-img_2147.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 13th December 2020 at 22:03.
Sebring is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 22:48   #36
BHPian

I'm not really a fan of cruiser styles in general, but the Meteor was a strong contender when I was looking to purchase my first vehicle recently.

I've ridden old school Bullets before. And despite the clatter and the vibrations, I really enjoyed it. I was sure however that I would tire of it, if that bike was my daily driver.

When the Meteor came out, I was heartened to hear from reviewers that the vibration issue was sorted out. So I added it to my shortlist and played around with the configurator. I found that I really liked the base Meteor (Fireball spec) with a Black Custom paintjob.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-meteorallblack.jpg

Looks really badass IMO.

Although in the end I was rather uncomfortable with plonking 2L+ on a first motorcycle purchase and having to wait 60 days.

(Have gone with an XPulse instead so that I can find my preferences. Relatively inexpensive motorcycle yet very versatile and rather tame.)
playingpossum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 09:58   #37
BHPian

Hi rajesh,

Congrats on the purchase of new bike and thanks for the review.
It looks grand.
A quick question. Could you check the mileage?
coolmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 09:14   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
Hi rajesh,

Congrats on the purchase of new bike and thanks for the review.
It looks grand.
A quick question. Could you check the mileage?
City + highway riding gave me a mileage of around 38 kms. Haven't tested it only on highways. Will update the forum as soon as I complete my highway rides.
rajeshkmoorthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 14:51   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Rajesh, congratulations on your new Meteor and I just loved reading your review of the bike from all the different aspects that you covered. I fully agree with your statement that after the 650 twins, this is the next global quality product from Royal Enfield, and I am sure they have no difficulty in selling this in India or in other markets.

Those touring seats by Royal Enfield look to be quite comfortable and the fit and finish, as seen in the pics, is very good. They certainly have upped their game in that aspect as well, compared to the alternate seats that they used to sell earlier.

The quality of two wheeler ownership threads is certainly going higher and higher thanks to the in depth content and pictures posted by the owners! I look forward to more updates and more pictures on this thread as you keep doing more rides in the years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshkmoorthy View Post
Solo ride - The rear suspension is on the stiffer side. Takes care of almost all potholes and speed breakers with ease. Large and deep potholes can be felt hard if you are riding faster.

With Pillion - Rear suspension becomes a bit softer and gives you a cushy ride
Do try changing the rear suspension setting from its current one, I have a feeling that if you go to either 3 or 4, things will certainly improve a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
I test rode both bikes back to back and the steering feel of the Honda CB350 was very light and dare I say, commuterish. The Meteor, in comparison, felt much more planted and was more to my preference. In simplest terms, the Honda felt like a big commuter and the Royal Enfield felt like a flickable cruiser. Both are very easy to ride and manage in our Indian commuting conditions.
neil.jericho is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 16:25   #40
BHPian

Congratulations! Rajesh, on you owning a good product from RE brand.

I was eagerly waiting for an ownership review, to know how much RE has changed over time. I am happy that it is just not a hype.

It seems that they are really keen on addressing the issues the RE biking community brings to them, it is definitely a step in the right direction.

I am really impressed by the options RE throws in, to its customers to customize their rides, with the configurator showing the final outcome. I was certainly not expecting this from RE. Sometimes these small bits make our ride more personal and makes the ownership experience satisfying. It cannot be a case of all hits and no misses, but that is there with all makes.

Also the videos on how to work on your ride for simpler tasks from the brand, is good to have. Experienced riders might not need such instructions, but IMO, it is very much necessary for a new product and a lot of new riders will appreciate. Kudos RE.

Happy and Safe riding!

Will look for your remarks in the long run.
Fan@Automotive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 17:43   #41
BHPian

Quote:

I have a question.
Based on your suggestion, I checked with the showroom and after a series of arguments, they returned my factory fitted mirrors. I got it back today from the showroom. It seems that some of them in the showroom didn't know that procedure. They mentioned that its a usual procedure to return the replaced products.

w.r.t the seats, I was not charged anything extra for the seats.

Thanks for bringing this up.
rajeshkmoorthy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 14:25   #42
BHPian

Congratulations Rajesh for getting the bike of your choice, a very well written review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Still I am waiting for a test ride of Himalayan before I take a call.
Heard there will a updated release of Himalayan, not sure though and may take 1 to 2 quarters too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Congrats for your new nova . Brown colour looks very good. Meteor 350 along with 650 twins are a step in right direction for RE. My only grouse is tank is only 15 liters, lack of 6th gear and tachometer.
+1 about the color. 15 liters will give a minimum run of 350 kms which will be more sufficient enough I believe. About the 6th gear I too felt the same as the same is provided in 650 twins, why not in meteor RE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeevSharma View Post
It is going to be one hell of a companion for you considering you did 800 kms in 3 days flat out. I can not imagine what touring will mean in your case!
I too had this surprise in mind thinking how the hell did he ride a minimum of 250 kms a day and for 3 continous days, keeping in mind the restriction on speed as it is yet to go for a first service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The quality of two wheeler ownership threads is certainly going higher and higher thanks to the in depth content and pictures posted by the owners!
+1, really enjoying the reviews, comments, photos of different bikes, bike owners and their experiences.
ManneAtWheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 17:32   #43
BHPian

Thank you Rajesh for that excellent review! Reading all the helpful comments by other BHPians, I too am tempted to buy a bike after a 2 decade gap with only 4 wheelers. When Sebring wrote about CB350, I was hooked and thought this is the one for me. But Rajesh's review has thrown the gates wide open. I'm 5 11' slightly built with a few disc prolapses.

Honda Appealed for the following reasons:
Lighter weight
Trouble free ownership
Good price for a quality product
Comfortable riding position
Good turning radius

Now the Meteor review has made me really confused. I feel that RE provides:
Better roadside support
Meaner cruiser look
Improved engine and reliability
Excellent choices to customise

This is indeed a good dilemma to have. With a friend who is also keen to buy either of the two, I'm going to do test rides of both and make up the final choice. The heart is leaning towards the Meteor while brain is saying CB350 (don't like the Hi'ness name!).
ram1kv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 16:06   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshkmoorthy View Post
I have bought the Riding Jacket & Gloves (RE Branded), Riding Boots (Spartan) and Riding Pants (BBG). I am still searching for a good riding group and would want to start with Breakfast Rides.
Hi Rajesh, As am waiting for my meteor to be delivered (tentatively feb), I was thinking if I should buy the gears before the delivery just to spread the cost.

Does RE provide any discount coupons or vouchers during delivery, if so I will wait till then.

Also, did you had a chance to compare with RE gear with other brands. I was contemplating RE Streetwind jacket to start with considering Chennai’s heat. How’s your experience with the RE gear so far has been.
Old 25th January 2021, 11:36   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikashmalya View Post
Does RE provide any discount coupons or vouchers during delivery, if so I will wait till then
Yes they provide coupons for accessories and apparel which can be used within first 30 days at the time of invoice generation.
vishchan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks