Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2023, 22:05   #16
BHPian

How to calculate depreciation & negotiate right price/ process/ tips for pre-owned [2nd-hand] bike?

Hello guys, Good day!

As a motorcycle enthusiast, pre-owned bikes are a great way to get our dream bikes for a reasonable cost, while taking the advantage of depreciation. Because I have never got any experience getting one yet, I would love to hear and take wise advice from team BHPian members.

For context, I have been looking at RE 650 Twins for a long time since they were launched. I love the power unit it's beautiful & refined, but I am more excited about the upcoming Shotgun 650 & more over the Classic 650. Well, the Classic 350 was one of those bikes I always dreamed about since I was a kid but I never had a chance to own one, riding RE Thunder Bird 350 since 2017.

So I thought now it's the right time to upgrade & 650 looks like a great deal but not completely satisfied with the current lineup. For me, the best deal would be 650 Classic, which might come by the end of this year or maybe late 2024. Now I'm in a dilemma about which one I should get should I wait for the upcoming RE 650s or get a used one, when I started looking for the used market I came across the Triumph Bonneville Street Twin 900 & the more I learned about it more thrilled I got about Bonneville's. Eventually, I came across some pre-owned ones which look reasonable according to me. Of course, I got to stretch my budget a bit more to consider ST but it would be a great deal to look at it from a border perspective considering I don't like to sell any of the machines I own.

So right now I'm looking forward to getting a pre-owned ST, preferably Street Twin 900 2019! Would like to know Team BHPian's Wisdom & experience with a pre-owned Motorcycle.

Some of the key things I would know are as follows;

1. How to calculate the depreciation of any pre-owned bike?
2. What would be a decent price bracket for ST 2019 manufactured?
3. Should I approach owners or popular pre-owned sellers? [I'm from Mumbai/ Navi-Mumbai]
4. Things I should look forward to before buying?
5. Things to investigate about the bike?
6. Important documents to look at during ownership transfer?
7. Mandatory things to do after owning the bike? [New to premium bikes]
8. Negotiation tips for buyers? [If any]

Please forgive me if in-case of any typo error cause it's my 1st thread in team bhp! Thank you all in advance!
nidhinpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 18:19   #17
BHPian

Need help with inputs

Hello Friends

I saw an Ad for Yamaha RX 100 bike, which is restored and looked good in the ad. But, the bike doesn't have documents and it is mentioned as a Police Auction vehicle which has been fixed. There is a letter from the auction which is available.

I am not aware of the Police auction vehicle and the letter. Need inputs as to whether it is legal, or is it safe to buy those vehicles.
Old 11th September 2023, 21:57   #18
BHPian

Re: Need help with inputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by srkriz26 View Post
Hello Friends

I saw an Ad for Yamaha RX 100 bike, which is restored and looked good in the ad. But, the bike doesn't have documents and it is mentioned as a Police Auction vehicle which has been fixed. There is a letter from the auction which is available.

I am not aware of the Police auction vehicle and the letter. Need inputs as to whether it is legal, or is it safe to buy those vehicles.
No, if the registration isn't valid, it is not legal to use it on public roads. You can buy it for display on your private property.

Most Viewed