Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2020, 15:16   #1
BHPian

Motorcycle options for tall riders

Hi all. I am above 6 feet and I have a historical back problem and was off bikes for many years. Now the itch to get back on the saddle at least on weekends is tempting me to take a plunge. A couple of years back i had taking a test ride of a RTR 200 and though i loved the bike the aggressive stance killed my plans, the most comfortable i felt on the saddle was the RE Electra which was standing unnoticed in the showroom back then and all others were waiting for the Classic 350. Sadly that bike has been discontinued, are there any other bikes that may work for me. Leisure rides, relaxed seating are my lookouts, budget should not break the bank.
Old 9th October 2020, 17:54   #2
BHPian

re: Motorcycle options for tall riders

I think the Hero Xpulse will be perfect for you.

It's a bike designed for tall riders, has supple suspension, good midrange power and decent features. Only thing that suck is the headlight which can be fixed by aftermarket lights.

My friend is above 6 feet and according to him, the ergonomics are spot on.
ChrisTJ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 18:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementw View Post
Hi all. I am above 6 feet and I have a historical back problem and was off bikes for many years. Now the itch to get back on the saddle at least on weekends is tempting me to take a plunge. A couple of years back i had taking a test ride of a RTR 200 and though i loved the bike the aggressive stance killed my plans, the most comfortable i felt on the saddle was the RE Electra which was standing unnoticed in the showroom back then and all others were waiting for the Classic 350. Sadly that bike has been discontinued, are there any other bikes that may work for me. Leisure rides, relaxed seating are my lookouts, budget should not break the bank.
Gixxer 250.

My son is 6'4" and was instantly comfortable on it compared to all other bikes he tested.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 18:53   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Leisure rides, relaxed seating are my lookouts, budget should not break the bank.
Whose bank if I might ask?

Be specific please, at least give a range or there are bikes that would start at under a lakh to more than 25 Lakhs that can be suggested. If you are looking at sub 2 lakhs, would suggest something like a Bajaj avenger, is laid back and has a decent suspension that will be suitable for your back.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 19:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
... the most comfortable i felt on the saddle was the RE Electra which was standing unnoticed in the showroom back then and all others were waiting for the Classic 350. Sadly that bike has been discontinued...
The Electra is not discontinued, only the 'Electra' name is dropped. It's called the Bullet ES now!

Motorcycle options for tall riders-bes.png

Please do some (RE)search before posting!
surjaonwheelz is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 21:31   #6
BHPian

At 6 feet tall and a minor lower back problem, I had used RE Thunderbird for the previous 4 years without any issues related to height or back. The seating and handlebar position was perfect for my height, even for rides up to 500km in a day.
adityak7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 22:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Any Royal Enfield, barring the 650cc monsters & Himalayan, will be comfortable for you, especially the Thunderbird variants (owned it for few years, hence, I believe I'm qualified for this opinion).

Do check newly launched Honda H'ness. IMO it's a worthy contender, only if Honda can manage the deliveries timely.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 10:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Most bikes under 1.5 lacs are commuter machines built for the average person who is 5'8" and under. I too found it an issue to find a bike that fit me perfectly when I was learning how to ride and was on the lookout for my first bike. I really loved the R15, but its seat to handlebar distance felt to short and I felt too cramped on it. In the end I went for the RC390 which felt more roomy than other sportbikes. Since you are averse to a sportbike, I would still recommend looking at offerings from european manufacturers as they might cater to taller people
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 11:38   #9
BHPian

Re: Motorcycle options for tall riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Whose bank if I might ask?

Be specific please, at least give a range or there are bikes that would start at under a lakh to more than 25 Lakhs that can be suggested. If you are looking at sub 2 lakhs, would suggest something like a Bajaj avenger, is laid back and has a decent suspension that will be suitable for your back.
My bank, it will be a less used bike and max 1 L. TIA
Old 12th October 2020, 12:39   #10
Team-BHP Support

Then your choice are limited to regular commuter bikes and look for ones with max seat height, say around 810-830 mm would be best. Or like i mentioned earlier something like an avenger which is a cruiser and can accomodate taller folks easily.
Old 12th October 2020, 12:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Then your choice are limited to regular commuter bikes and look for ones with max seat height, say around 810-830 mm would be best. Or like i mentioned earlier something like an avenger which is a cruiser and can accomodate taller folks easily.
Saddle height is actually the lesser half of the equation compared to geometry of the bike specific to the peg position and distance from saddle. Which is why the avenger in spite of being a low bike is accommodative of long legs.

The best option is to scope what's available in the used market under a lac and then try and take a ride inversions of each before actually knowing which feels most comfortable.

For a given height human bodies can be built very differently, especially in terms of ratio of torso to leg length.

In cycling you have a thing called Ape Index, which is basically the ratio of your wingspan to your overall height. A positive ape index mean you have longer arms (and hence reach to the handlebar) compared to your height, and hence have to stretch out less and bend your torso to a less acute angle.

Without getting into the technicalities of measurements though, a test ride would be all it takes.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 12th October 2020 at 13:10.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 14:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Xpulse with the rally kit!
starter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 14:34   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Xpulse with the rally kit!
While I might sound biased as Xpulse owner, but the bike perfectly fits the criteria for taller riders. Get a used Xpulse (slightly difficult to find used but you can with patience, for 70-80k max) and install a rally kit. If you are above 6', you will feel at home on the bike.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 16:02   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all. I am above 6 feet and I have a historical back problem and was off bikes for many years......... Leisure rides, relaxed seating are my lookouts, budget should not break the bank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
While I might sound biased as Xpulse owner, but the bike perfectly fits the criteria for taller riders.
+1 on the xpulse. I too might sound biased as an xpulse owner but it has perfect ergonomics for taller riders. With my height of 5'10, my feet don't fall flat on the ground.
RE Thunderbird is another option.
shady is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 12:00   #15

Try the Himalayan. I am 6 ft tall and its perfect for me (i have added handlebar risers and set the handlebar for reach). 500 kms a day is no sweat
Vijaynidhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks