Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2007, 18:59   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Tyres for Unicorn

Hello Amigos,

No, I do not have a Unicorn, my friend does.

Over a year old, this unicorn has given my friend good service, he uses it everyday. He is heavy set and not a very fast rider. Of late, it is his strong feeling that the bike loses grip.
Also when he brakes, the bike skids a bit, sometimes slightly sideways too.

He wishes to change the tyres on his Unicorn, since logically that's what's wrong.

My question: What tyres (regardless of price) would be the grippiest and best for this motorcycle. Thanks in advance for your answers.
Old 29th March 2007, 20:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

read that P220 tyres do a great job, they are tubeless too. Available with MRF dealers
Old 29th March 2007, 20:14   #3
BHPian

on my 150 pulsar,i got a 100/90 continental navigator rear tyre and am very happy when compared to the mrf which come with the bike, it costed me 1000 bucks
Old 29th March 2007, 20:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

sam he could look out for pirelli sports demon i think 110 should be enough considering he doesnt ride fast etc.these should provide him with more than enough grip.

does he also want to change the front tyre ?

Rev

Last edited by revtech : 29th March 2007 at 20:22.
Old 29th March 2007, 20:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
He is heavy set and not a very fast rider. Of late, it is his strong feeling that the bike loses grip.

He wishes to change the tyres on his Unicorn, since logically that's what's wrong.
I doubt its the tire, his rear brake might have little play and due to it his is locking it up. He stops locking the brakes, bike will stop skidding.
Old 29th March 2007, 22:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh sarkar View Post
I doubt its the tire, his rear brake might have little play and due to it his is locking it up. He stops locking the brakes, bike will stop skidding.
emm, maybe..and ask him if he uses both brakes or just the rear a bit too much

i mean the rear brake
Old 29th March 2007, 23:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

Over a year old, this unicorn has given my friend good service, he uses it everyday. He is heavy set and not a very fast rider. Of late, it is his strong feeling that the bike loses grip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
emm, maybe..and ask him if he uses both brakes or just the rear a bit too much

i mean the rear brake

sam said hes had the bike since about a year.if he just uses the rear im sure he must have been doing that since day one and so he must have had the skidding problem since then which i presume is not the case so its probably a worn out tyre.

Rev
Old 30th March 2007, 00:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

from what i know ( am talking about 5 years ago, i know i am old), MRF produced the best tyres for motorcycles. has that changed now ? so, who has bettered the mammen maapillais ? my old philly ( 1981 yezdi) always sported the MRF (not zapper, came a lot later).
Old 30th March 2007, 00:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
sam said hes had the bike since about a year.if he just uses the rear im sure he must have been doing that since day one and so he must have had the skidding problem since then which i presume is not the case so its probably a worn out tyre.

Rev
could be, but it could also be due to the fact that the mechanic or puncture repair fellow tightened the rear brake too much and removed all most all of the play.

In any case, if your friend is looking for a tyre with good grip then tell him to get Micheline M62, same size good grip.
Old 30th March 2007, 23:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

if the road grip is the main concern then i think going you should change the rims along with the tyres too in order to get fatter tyres.

this i think can be arranged at a minimal cost if replaced with the pulsar's non mag 17"inch rims (if avaliable in the spares) that was just released before the mag version and also while the mag was avaliable as an option(with the electric start) these can be fitted with the MRF zappers that provide one of the most awesome road grips i have come across...

also why not try using the bike with minimal psi pressure in the tyres, that should also greatly help...
Old 31st March 2007, 00:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

any idea how much for teh pirelli or michis? for VFM MRF should be the best
Old 31st March 2007, 16:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

OT here guys..

When i saw the thread " Tires for Unicorn" and the Author was Sam..
I was picturing our Big man on that bike.. .. Sorry sam.could not resist.It would be hilarious to see sam on that..

Godfather
Old 31st March 2007, 19:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Changing the tyre to ANY config would require replacement of the rear rim as well. Else, there'd be no benefit.

The all new Unicorns come with a 100/90 rear tyre, with alloys. And since it's Honda O.E, procurement and fitment shouldn't be a hassle. Should suffice. If you require more, get the new Uni's alloys, and put in a Michelin or Pirelli Sport Demon 110/90. Anything more, and you'd foul with the swingarm/hub stabiliser linkage.

P.S- He he he..Godfather...just can't get that image outta my head...

Samji on a uni, riding the tarmac, precious long hair free flying over the rear, shouting.."be a WING rider, duude...."...aaahahhaaa...friggin' priceless...
Old 31st March 2007, 19:21   #14
BHPian

I dont think Uni can take anything bigger than 100/90 tyre cause of lack of space. Also, no tubeless since it does not have alloys. 100/90 MRF should be the best at the rear.
Old 2nd April 2007, 15:20   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
from what i know ( am talking about 5 years ago, i know i am old), MRF produced the best tyres for motorcycles. has that changed now ? so, who has bettered the mammen maapillais ? my old philly ( 1981 yezdi) always sported the MRF (not zapper, came a lot later).
E_L : MRF still comes as standard fitment on most bikes. However, these though long lasting, do not provide sufficient grip, and stability is an issue.
My Pulsar's standard MRF tyres were replaced by Dunlop at the rear around the 22K mark, and to-date (55K kms) have been doing a good job.
Stability and braking has increased by leaps and bounds.

The best tyres around now are Pirellis and Michelins according to me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks