Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2020, 17:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Luna to return as an all-electric moped

According to a media report, Kinetic Green - a subsidiary of the Kinetic Group, is likely to revive the Luna brand with an all-electric moped.

Rumour: Luna to return as an all-electric moped-kineticlunateambhp660.jpg

The report states that the new electric moped could be powered by a 1 kW motor and a lithium-ion battery. The moped is likely to have a top speed of 25 km/h and offer a maximum range of 70-80 km on a single charge.

The report also suggests that the moped's styling could be inspired by the original Luna. It could get a thumb starter as well as other features like USB charging and LED daytime running lights.

While Kinetic Green has not confirmed these reports, Sulajja Firodia Motwani, CEO and Founder of Kinetic Green has stated that the company plans to launch electric rickshaws and electric cycles.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 17:59   #2
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Rumour: Luna to return as an all-electric moped

Sweet memories attached with this moped - learnt riding on it. Funny part is, learnt pedaling on a bicycle later on.

Will be nice to see it again in electric avatar.
Zinda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 08:48   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Same here; I got my motorcycle license in the late 80s after being certified on my Luna Double Plus.

The Luna is the ideal moped for launch in the Electric avatar - it has a belt drive with an automatic clutch and a small gearbox in the rear.

Ageless design, which makes it look good too even today.

The later launched Luna Magnum came with the variator like one sees in modern gearless scooters, but for some reason, that model bombed.

Last edited by vigsom : 21st July 2020 at 08:50.
Old 21st July 2020, 09:16   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a media report, Kinetic Green - a subsidiary of the Kinetic Group, is likely to revive the Luna brand with an all-electric moped.
If indeed the news is true, it will bring back many fond memories of the time my Dad would take us out for a spin on his Luna and how I learned riding vehicles on the same. Sometimes I would just make an excuse to flick the keys and go for a quick spin. No nonsense and very easy to ride. If this indeed comes back, will surely buy one and gift it to him for the sheer joy of seeing him ride again.
Old 21st July 2020, 09:38   #5
BHPian

Good luck selling these now.

Nostalgia apart, I don't think there is anything else that can drive the sales of these vehicles.

Bajaj Chetak in its electric avatar, has the nostalgia bonus and still is a looker; I am not sure I can say the same of Luna. Personally, I think electric cycles look better than Luna, and obviously the electric Luna will also have to compete with the likes of Ather.
Old 21st July 2020, 11:26   #6
BHPian

Forget the product. With the track of the Kinetic group, why would one buy anything that they make or sell? Kinetic Honda, Kinetic Sym, Kinetic Hyosung... They have never shown any inclination in selling good products and supporting their customers. Each venture has left customers down in quality, reliability and service support.
Old 21st July 2020, 15:25   #7
BHPian

I would love to see the LUNA return in EV disguise. But not under Kinetic please.
Old 21st July 2020, 18:05   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
Personally, I think electric cycles look better than Luna, and obviously the electric Luna will also have to compete with the likes of Ather.
Segments are different. Ather is scooter, but Luna is moped/scootret. Luna is closer to TVS XL100. Obviously no comparison with electric cycles
Old 13th August 2021, 16:27   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
Good luck selling these now.

Nostalgia apart, I don't think there is anything else that can drive the sales of these vehicles.

Bajaj Chetak in its electric avatar, has the nostalgia bonus and still is a looker; I am not sure I can say the same of Luna. Personally, I think electric cycles look better than Luna, and obviously the electric Luna will also have to compete with the likes of Ather.
Nostalgic for sure but apart from being a BEV, there is nothing in common with Ather/Chetak. Apart from the fact that the latter are scooters, they are high speed vehicles too. So they need registration and driver licence to ride around. The Luna, if the rumors turn out to be true, will be low speed mopeds. The Luna will do good and will compete with Yulu and the likes. I used to ride a Luna when I just had a Learner's Licence at 16+ years if age. If this E-Luna comes out, some other 16+ year old will possibly do the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks