Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2020, 19:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Police get Segway electric scooters

I remember Chandigarh Police introducing Reva back in 2006. If I remember correctly, the idea was to use an EV for patrolling ecologically sensitive areas like Sukhna Lake. 4-5 years after its induction in Chandigarh Police vehicular squad, Reva started proving to be costly to maintain because of lack of tech. advancement in those days and expensive parts. But Kudos to Chandigarh Police for introducing an EV almost a decade and a half back and utilizing it for years.

Here is a related link of a news article from 2010 which mentions how over the years, operating the cars had become expensive : http://archive.indianexpress.com/new...%20maintenance.
royalbeat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 19:34   #17
BHPian

Time for the police to put on some weight! I would rather give them bi-cycle, it doesn't need batteries, charge time and good exercise.
Old 25th June 2020, 06:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

Don't suppose this helps.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53160518
Old 25th June 2020, 09:48   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Utter waste of public money. Illogical, ineffective, impractical and completely out of sync of the needs of the department, city and country. And if these weren't enough, to top it all up, the company Segway is a Chinese owned company now since last 5 years. As a further insult to intelligence and logic, Segway has officially discontinued the PT devices from this month globally as they didn't sell much beyond the initial hype. Kudos to our decision makers.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 12:07   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like Mumbai police could have well been the last Segway customer. They are closing down:

https://www.engadget.com/segway-to-e...144305244.html
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 14:16   #21

What an utter waste of public funds at a time of national crisis. Here we dont have funds to do testing of a life threatening virus and these people want to play circus-circus on marine drive. I mean which genius thought of this idea. Just for the sake of math each of these costs around 1.25lakh + special Police discount + backup support + infrastructure = 1.50 lakh rupees (conservative estimate)
Then they have bought 50 of these which brings the total money spent to 75 lakh!! For toys for these children.
I dont know how this expense is justified. But god help us all. Now that the company has shut down I wonder whose Chaddis are going to be hung from these toys.
All hail Mumbai Police.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks