Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2020, 12:24   #16
BHPian

Re: Ramblings of a bored mind! Do I need to get a new touring bike?

Nice read. I was in the same spot as you and bought the interceptor 650 last march. Sold it this march after putting in approximately 2000 kms.

Interceptor is awesome if you want to do gedi (roaming around in town). However the suspension is basic at best.

I still hold on to my 2017 D400 which has done about 38K kms now including numerous trips all over india and even being featured on Bajaj's Youtube for the K2K Ride. If i were you, i will put my money on the new D400.

adityasiera is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 14:33   #17
BHPian

Sorry for the bummer, but my honest 2 cents are like these:

1. Your beautiful new born will not allow you you to tour at least next 2 years
2. Frankly, this is very bad time for a discretionary spending.

Having said that, as someone else mentioned here, I suggest you to keep on saving for now and enter the market at a much higher level.
Or change your riding style from long distance tourer to breakfast warrior on an aggressive bike like a KTM or a Ninja, pack maximum fun in a half days ride.

There is a reason that breakfast rides are most popular, 'Family' happens.

I'm in a similar conundrum as you are. I'm also 30, have a 2 year old son, I used to own a RE and a Bajaj previously. I too used to hate breakfast rides. I have decided to wait and watch.

Last edited by gauravanekar : 25th April 2020 at 14:34.
gauravanekar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 16:25   #18
GTB
BHPian

Hello,

I am in the market for similar options, not actively though. I would love to choose one from the RE twins and Himalayan. Mainly for the Engine, I get for the price. I would like to request you write about how these are to ride if you test-drive them.

Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 17:24   #19
BHPian

D400 is the way to go, considering your budget of ~3L. Would have recommended the twins, but tubed tires and a retro design don't set my heart beating. On the other hand, D400 has plenty of bells and whistles plus LED headlamps which give quite some illumination!

If the Himalayan 650 is launched anytime soon (with tubeless tires), that's a discussion for another day.

I'm in the same boat as you, son born on New year's. Touring is something I am not considering for the next 1-2 years. Being a banker, I would probably buy a bike which can get me quickly and comfortably to my destination while being reliable, easy to maintain, FTD and SAFE. D400 ticks all my boxes plus saves me a lac over the Twins
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 20:14   #20
BHPian

Comfortable cruisers are directly translated to ADVs these days even though their purpose is entirely different. I guess just like how the SUV market is booming even though not even 0.1% of that market does actual offroading, it creates a pattern in the motorcycle market too.

Coming to the point, I own an FZ25 and have toured in it quite extensively (not Leh-Ladakh extensive but I have toured around the 3 states of Kerala, Karanataka and Tamil Nadu). Its a comfortable cruiser for speeds upto 95 KMPH and above that it feels a little strained, mostly due to the absence of a 6th cog. I would say, since you are looking for a keeper, up your budget and get the best you can afford, in order to keep the upgrade itch away as far as possible.

Like mentioned initially, the best choice for touring these days are ADVs and the options you have in your budget will be the Himalayan, 390ADV and the G310GS.

Cruise speeds for the Himalayan would be too low for your liking and hence I wouldn't recommend it.

G310GS is a good option if the news about the price cuts are true but maintaining a BMW has not exactly been a story with happy endings. As far as i read, spare parts are expensive and dealer attitudes in many places are pathetic and hence again I would keep that choice aside.

This leaves us with the 390ADV and frankly it looks to be the perfect choice for you. That KTM tug in your heart would be fulfilled without compromising on the comforts of a touring machine and the excellent electronics will ensure to the most part, that you return to your daughter at the end of all the fun, safely.

At almost 3.8 lakhs on-road, it will be a drastic stretch of your budget but considering this as a once in 10 year purchase with a purchase time span of atleast 6 months from now, i would say its worth it. Nothing can be decided without a test drive though and do take one when the situation improves (which, hopefully it should in the coming days).

All the best with your purchase!
Old 25th April 2020, 21:07   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
D400 is the way to go, considering your budget of ~3L. Would have recommended the twins, but tubed tires and a retro design don't set my heart beating. On the other hand, D400 has plenty of bells and whistles plus LED headlamps which give quite some illumination!

If the Himalayan 650 is launched anytime soon (with tubeless tires), that's a discussion for another day.

I'm in the same boat as you, son born on New year's. Touring is something I am not considering for the next 1-2 years. Being a banker, I would probably buy a bike which can get me quickly and comfortably to my destination while being reliable, easy to maintain, FTD and SAFE. D400 ticks all my boxes plus saves me a lac over the Twins
I realised how powerful my D400's headlights are after i got a Tiger 800 home. I also realised how painful spoked wheels are after a puncture on my ex-Int 650.

This may be the right time to pick up some high quality stocks and watch them fund your next bike in next 6-8 months
Old 26th April 2020, 00:44   #22
BHPian

Being in a similar position as you are and in the market looking for a bike, my research ended with test drive of Dominar 400.

FZ25: As you are looking for a keeper, you could easily out-grow this bike. 250 cc is a blast in city but not amazing on highway like in D400. Felt the foot-pegs were a bit sporty for a fat person's comfort.

Interceptor: Out of price range as its 3.30 lakhs on road kerala. Had to reach out at handle bar. Feels good and powerful at slow speeds. Honda level refinement. Seats are a disaster. Chrome exhausts on either sides are a risk for small kids who run to you when parking after long rides. (A bit extreme and nit picking, i know).
RE service experience has not been great for me with my 2003 Electra, 1998 Std and 1987 Std.

Conti GT : 2.57 Lakhs On-road kerala. Dr mayhem can be made a screensaver for the rest of my life but after just 5 kms my wrist started complaining.

Himalayan: on-road 2.27 Lakhs kerala. My second favourite Bike. So much so that i rented one from Royal Brothers tvm before almost finalizing decision. I got a Bs4 model with considerable vibrations. The weight of the bike can be really felt even when you move the bike from side stand. Seat = bike's frame after 10 kms. Pillion suffers the most. I don't know how people are reviewing it as the most comfortable RE. May be on bad roads it is compared to other bikes, or may be individual physique matters. I'm 177 cm and weigh 98 kg with pot belly and I hated Himalayan sooo much. My Electra was way comfortable. This test drive was pivotal in deciding D400.

KTM 390/ Adv: both out of budget being North of 3.5L.

Dominar 400: Understated style. Bs6 Dominar with 40 bhp has enough grunt for highway. Power delivery is linear and manageable unlike Pulsar siblings above 200cc. Test ride bike had Knocking at high gears at 40 km/h, may be because it was a new bike. Around 187 kg means stability on highway against cross-winds and still mangeable for RE owners who are used to parking their bikes on center stands. Seat is wide enough for comfort. Pillion seating is okay as well. Super duper light clutch on my Bs6 test ride vehicle. Nice exhaust note for a single, with plastic exhaust cover and safe for kids.
The blue backlights for switches are attractive during night drives. Alloy wheels=easier puncture management. Almost 13l fuel tank. Detailed information on 2 consoles. Did i mention Super duper light clutch?
On-road Kerala for Bs6 is 2.37 Lakhs and in it's third iteration with significant changes.
Ticks all boxes for me and hopefully for you. A 10 year keeper in 2-3 Lakh range.

(Unless RE Meteor launches this year and changes the sub 400cc RE game). But are you Brave enough to invest our money on a brand new RE model?? I'm not.
sreeJiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 01:33   #23
BHPian

I haven't had a long sting on any of the potential bikes in the reckoning besides my older gen Dominar, but for what it's worth , the RE 650 twins are great for short rides but the seats and suspension don't have the all day comfort, especially for pillions. The Interceptor may still make a good tourer, with modified seats and suspension - but that is an additional cost and effort as well as some brain cell racking to determine how much stiffer (both seat and suspension).

The 390 Adv probably is best but out of budget apparently? The Duke 390 is pretty decent actually, it's smaller tank in gen1 (10 liters) having been rectified in the current gen (13.4 liters), has pretty decent lights, ground clearance and you can get accessories for luggage and other touring comfort stuff easily. Same goes for the Dominar , the 2019 UG did have several quality issues - the crash bar bolts, dashboard bugs, which I gather are fixed with the 2020 versions. I have a 2017 first lot Dominar and have ridden the 2019 UG - the upgrades are substantial - smoother, less vibration, more power with wider powerband, better front brakes, better (slightly softer) suspension for touring and increased clearance as the underbody exhaust box isn't there.

I've only had the Dominar for 3 years/19000km and it hasn't been much trouble - fork seals being one weakness. I've replaced them once, and the second set has started leaking. 2 sets of fork seals in 3 years isn't too bad, but decide for yourself. I had a 2007 Pulsar 220 FI too , for 10 years and it had far fewer issues than people say Pulsars have.
Old 26th April 2020, 01:58   #24
BHPian

I'm in a similar situation right now.

I have a 1 year old son and I don't see myself going on any long rides for the next couple of years.
I have a 2018 Dominar currently and was thinking about picking up a new bike which will be a long-termer in my garage and should be able to handle touring duties as well.

I had made up my mind about getting the Interceptor 650, but after thinking for a while, I have decided to hold on to my Dominar for a bit more.
Since I have some family responsibilities and work commitments, I won't be going out on long rides and the Dominar is more than enough for my current needs.

I have now decided to wait some more, save up and fulfill my big bike dream
MadTitan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 04:12   #25
Team-BHP Support

I have ridden the Himalayan, for decent number of kilometres and it is a good bike to tour on. I currently ride the FZ-25 for past ~3 years and it is the most underwhelming bike I got myself.

I would suggest, have test rides and see what floats your boat, that works better. I would have test ridden the new Dominar-400, the 390 ADV and then picked between these two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I had a 2007 Pulsar 220 FI too , for 10 years and it had far fewer issues than people say Pulsars have.
I had the '03 P-180 V1. '03 means, I was pretty young, for those 25K+ kms, it was redlined almost everywhere and no issues, got a Karizma-R in '07 as P-220 FI was only available in Pune and within 15K, had to change the valves . P-180 gave me trouble with its chain & battery, but no mechanical issues.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 10:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
The contenders (atleast the ones that I can think of):
Dominor 400 : Pretty sure most of the suggestions are gonna come this way or the next contender.

Interceptor : It does tick everything.
Don't go beyond these two choices. And I would highly recommend the Interceptor. For India, it is the one do-everything bike! Easily maneuverable in traffic with good low down torque. Comparatively does not heat up too much. And good power for long distance touring as well. The seating position is fairly decent as well. The handle bar is not very ideal but a small riser fixes the problem.

Cost wise, if you plan on keeping the bike long term (let's say 8-10) years, the per year cost of the bike goes down. 10 years down the line the ₹3.2 lakh for the Interceptor wont look that big as compared to all the fun you had!
And you can sell your other RE if you need the funds.

The Dominar is a strong second contender. Have to agree with everything @sreeJiva said

The Duke is tremendous fun but having owned one for more than 6 years, I can tell you it is no fun in traffic. And while you can tour, I have found it to be not very ideal for long distances.
Old 26th April 2020, 19:37   #27
BHPian

Why not the duke 250 if you have included fz25 and the gixxer 250 in your list ? The bs6 duke 250 is very refined and has better power figures/specifications than the fz and gixxer.
Old 27th April 2020, 07:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

If you would mostly be doing highway riding, the INT650 would be a perfect choice. That extra cylinder and 6th gear make a hell of a difference. As far as the Himalayan is concerned, the motor is happy to putter around in between 80 to 100. Anything about that would be a bit uncomfortable.
PS- With a wider Handlebar (Art of Motorcycles) and the footpeg relocation kit from Indimotard, the riding position will almost be like the Electra.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 27th April 2020 at 07:45.
Old 27th April 2020, 11:49   #29
BHPian

Get yourself a used Honda CBR250r. It has been almost an year since i laid my hands on one (a 2018 model) and trust me it has never disappointed me a bit. It cruises comfortably in triple digit speeds all day long and you start to feel the fatigue only post 400kms of riding, frugality cannot be questioned since it has been tested by riders for a decade or so. If you like simple machines, bullet proof reliability, pocket friendly maintenance costs and gem of an engine, go for the Honda. Just my opinion here choices are subjective to one's taste.
Travelling_Monk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 13:08   #30
BHPian

You could go for a pre-worshipped N300 as well. A 4 year old CKD model (better parts quality than the localised version IMO) which has run sub 30k should be available for around 2L. The ergonomics seem sporty to look at but you can sit upright to an extent. I suggest take a test ride to see if it works for you.

The parallel twin engine is extremely refined and you can easily do upwards of 500 km in a day. And with the 17L tank you get 300 km range even if you ride it aggressively (which can only be done in short bursts given the surprises our roads have to offer). It feels at home to cruise at 120 kmph and when you take it beyond 7000 RPM it reaches speeds around 170 effortlessly

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks