Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2020, 15:16   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: 2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift

so finally, three years after selling my harley, decided to get back on the saddle again. Booked a bmw G310 GS in rallye blue shade. Delivery will co-incide with my birthday.

Tried the KTM 390 adv but just wasnt able to gel with that one. The RE Twins made a strong case, but lack of tubeless tyres meant that was a non starter and no news on alloys being made available. Since i intend riding a lot in the Himalayas, this was a serious demerit.

The BMW ticked all the boxes, looks fabulous, and comes at a great price now. So in the end, it picked itself out.
himanshugoswami is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 22:14   #92
BHPian

I am hooked to this thread from the word go. No wonder there are endless arguments/discussions in the following posts.

So here is my say on the very same topic. To each his own.

I too owned(and sold) the 2015 KTM Duke 200, and at that time, it was the motorcycle which give you the Best Bang for your Buck. It was fast, nimble, light and even good looking.

After acquiring the pre owned 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 300 KRT Edition, I realised the build quality, paint quality and parts like foot pegs, gear levers, clutch levers are of much higher quality than the KTMs. And it is a good looking motorcycle.

As far as reliability is concerned, I did changed my cluctch cable switch twice, leaked front fork oil seal once, and cleaned the throttle body(stepper motor) once during my 8k+ kilometres ownership of the 2015 KTM Duke 200.

Now, comparing the newly launched BMW GS 310 and the KTM 390 Adventure, I can say the BMW wins in build quality over the KTM. And even in the good looks department. For me, for any bike or car purchase - looks is my first prority. BMW GS 310 looks much better than the KTM 390 Adventure in my eyes. And there lies the winner for me.

Regarding reliability, I think both motorcycles will be almost at par with each other. Only time will tell.

Regarding performance, the KTM might be a tad faster, but the BMW will not be too far behind either.

Regarding handling, as per most YouTube video reviews, the BMW seems to be a sweeter handler.

What the KTM must realised is the competition has moved ahead.

And almost all newly launched vehicles post CoViD 19 related Lockdown are a lot better than their previous versions.

Last edited by docmoya2007 : 16th October 2020 at 22:34.
docmoya2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 16:27   #93

Silly question perhaps, but does the 310GS have any sort of storage (for basic tools)?
jamminbobin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 18:46   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Silly question perhaps, but does the 310GS have any sort of storage (for basic tools)?
They give a small tool kit which is tucked under the seat towards pillion side. Apart from that, there is some space on the inner side of the under-seat side covers, where some items can be tucked and stored. (This is not by design, but by us Indians finding a way to make best use of any available spaces. I use this space to store bungee and documents.
FOr any other additional storage, we will have to use aftermarket tool boxes, top boxes, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-untitled4.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 08:28   #95
BHPian

So I took a test drive of 310 GS past weekend at Tusker BMW. As Nasir mentioned, the road was totally dug up and it got bit dark even though I reached well in time (roamed around the showroom like a bee for parking. Tip : Park straight away in UB City mall nearby and then walk over to showroom).

However the 2 KM test ride didn't help much in decision making due to immense congestion and frantic police checking (add to the fact that that bike didn't have any number plate ). Following was the route which I had to take :

Name:  BMW Ride.png
Views: 1352
Size:  257.6 KB

Anyways, with all the above factors, I could still confirm great quality of cycle parts and decent sitting posture. Saddling was bit of an issue for me (height 5'11") but a set of risers should take care of that. I have asked the team to give me an extended test ride during the weekdays so that I can avoid the congestion and confirm if the riding dynamics and available power is enough for my usage.

Now a favor from fellow bangloreans - Can anyone who is well versed with this side of town chart me a decent 5 km trip wherein I can ride the bike with ease to check riding dynamics, handling, 0-60/80 kmph run and panic braking ?

P.S : Also took a test ride of ADV 390. Great machine. Loved the way she revs (as I could really take an extended test ride on know roads and slush ). However, I just felt at home when I sat on 310 GS. Keeping my fingers crossed that I come out happy from my extended test ride of 310 GS, else its back to square 1 for me.
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 12:40   #96
BHPian

Hello Riders,

After a quick Sunday morning ride, dropped by BMW Motorrad, Pune showroom. The GS310 was not available as bikes are in Goa for some event!

I was the first customer on a Sunday morning so didn't bother them much, requested for a quick test ride and they handed over the keys of the 310R. The Red was a bit too loud for a BMW! I cold started the bike and let it settle down and then went for a quick spin.

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-img_20201018_10413701.jpeg
Frankly I'm not used to high revving singles so don't take my points so seriously.
- Engine was quite viby and begged to upshift than to rev!
- Gear shifts were clunky
- The throttle seemed tighter than my INT650

The test ride bike was barely ridden for 100 odd kms and on return I pointed out these to the sales advisor. He said things will get better after first oil change! It was light and fun bike for my case coming from my breakfast ride on the INT650

I wonder, should test ride bikes be run in first and complete their first service before handing it over to prospects? The bike was not registered yet.

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-img_20201018_10412601.jpeg
Note: I'm not a prospect, was just checking it out. I'll try to check out the GS310 when available.
Pro tip: You get special attention in full riding gears

surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 19th October 2020 at 12:44.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 01:57   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
... The Red was a bit too loud for a BMW! I...z
Thats a rather cheesy color on offer. The signature color on the GS is an eye candy though.
Old 20th October 2020, 12:53   #98
Senior - BHPian

Seems like the earlier super-high price was holding people back. The new bikes have already crossed 1k bookings without even offering proper test rides. Is it the initial euphoria or will last, only time will tell. Got this on insta page.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-untitled1.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 12:59   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Is it the initial euphoria or will last, only time will tell.
Can't speak for the masses but I am sold after an extended test ride and have pulled the trigger. Booking amount transferred and now the endless wait begins

What made me sway over GS is good balance between looks, riding stance and decent power.

ADV 390 just didn't cut it out for me in terms of looks and riding stance. But that power is definitely brutal. However, I am sure I wont miss out on that grunt with the GS much.

Anyone wanna join in for accessories shopping ? (as that is the only way I can kill time )
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 13:45   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Can't speak for the masses but I am sold after an extended test ride and have pulled the trigger. Booking amount transferred and now the endless wait begins
A customer lost for the RR310 then, congratulations on your booking Nitin.
FURY_44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 14:06   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats! If not power hungry, u will enjoy the bike. Like i have been saying, this is a bike that slowly grown on the rider. whats is the waiting period like?

Quote:
What made me sway over GS is good balance between looks, riding stance and decent power.

ADV 390 just didn't cut it out for me in terms of looks and riding stance. But that power is definitely brutal. However, I am sure I wont miss out on that grunt with the GS much.
As discussed extensively a couple of pages back, they both have their pros and cons, and both would find takers. Whats important is to access oneself as a rider and choose the right one.

Quote:
Anyone wanna join in for accessories shopping ? (as that is the only way I can kill time )
Anymore accessories on my bike and it will touch 200kgs. All the best with your shopping.

A general observation with 310GS is that its not a very DIY friendly bike. Its fairly easy to clean, lube and adjust chain, change brake pads and battery, bulb (BS4) and thats about it. Accessing the air filter is a big big pain and one has to open the entire tank shroud. Even spark plug is like tearing through the entire tank. same accessibility issues with coolant. However, accessing coolant and airfilter is very easy on the 390adv. in general, the 390 is built to be more DIY friendly and even self serviceable.
nasirkaka is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 15:16   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Seems like the earlier super-high price was holding people back. The new bikes have already crossed 1k bookings without even offering proper test rides. Is it the initial euphoria or will last, only time will tell. Got this on insta page.
Good for them. I feel the euphoria shall stay atleast for a few more months, unless the test rides and real world experience is really bad. Though I don't think this will be the case since both the bikes were pretty decent already and the further improvements are noteworthy. The price, badge, exclusivity and looks (though subjective) shall attract most of the potential 390 Adventure customers to atleast try this once and some may switch the boat as well.

For me the question is, how will KTM react, that is if at all they will? Will they consider offering more goodies (adjustable suspension, spoke wheels atleast as an option) or match the ex showroom price of Bavarians. They surely can't wait and watch as GS310 will eat into a considerable pie of adventure 390 sales in next few quarters I believe.
camitesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 15:23   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
A customer lost for the RR310 then, congratulations on your booking Nitin.
Thanks mate. Well I loved RR310 but then GS would cater to my needs in much better way. I spent close to 4 months in finalizing what I really need (from Athek's N650, Preowned CBR 250r, RR310, N300 and finally GS 310). I think the rally edition color and fantastic pricing tipped the scales

Quote:
Congrats! If not power hungry, u will enjoy the bike. Like i have been saying, this is a bike that slowly grown on the rider. whats is the waiting period like?
Thanks Nasir. Waiting period is close to around 45 days. Supposedly they just have 7 bikes in stock but more than 70 orders

Quote:
A general observation with 310GS is that its not a very DIY friendly bike.
That's something I can live with. I like to spend more time in saddle than off it (that or I am just lazy to tinker with the tools).
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 15:28   #104
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
GS310 will eat into a considerable pie of adventure 390 sales in next few quarters I believe.
Wishful thinking in my opinion ...

"KTM 390s Sales Increase 2.5 Times After 390 Adventure’s Launch
By Saad - April 23, 2020

Individual 390 Adventure sales are not revealed by KTM in its monthly tally. However, we reveal its impact on the overall sales of this 390 platform…

KTM is now strengthening its portfolio in India. From offering the Duke and RC in the 390 segment till now, it has also started selling the all-new Adventure brand here. The first product – 390 Adventure was launched in India in January 2020 after a long wait and it also becomes the costliest made in India motorcycle in the portfolio (790 Duke is a CKD).

Unfortunately, KTM does not reveal individual numbers of each model. However, we can take a look at the impact it has created in the overall sales tally. Let us divide KTM’s numbers in two parts – one part which consists of the first nine months of last fiscal (when 390 ADV was absent) and the second part – the last quarter of the financial year (when 390 ADV was present).

KTM 390 Adventure Sales (Including Other 390s)
April to December 2019 January to March 2020
KTM 390s 3224 units 2738 units

That means that KTM registered average sales of 358 units per month in the first time period which swelled to whopping 912 units per month in the last three months which obviously included the 390 Adventure’s dispatches also. This is a gain of roughly 150 percent or 2.5 times!

KTM will also launch the 250 Adventure in India soon. Click pic for details…

It must also be taken into consideration that KTM launched the BS6 versions of its existing 390s in January which means that this resultant increase in sales/dispatches will also include them.

So How Much Bajaj Contributed to KTM’s 2.80 Lac Units in 2019?

If we leave the majestic Royal Enfield out of the equation, KTM is one big seller in the premium sports motorcycle segment. It has the second highest sales in motorcycles costing Rs 1.5 Lakh to Rs 3.0 Lakh in the country.

Husqvarna 250s Beat 250 Duke in March Sales

With the entry of the Husqvarna in the range, things will get even more interesting. Husqvarna will also launch its 390 twins – Svartpilen 390 and Vitpilen 390 in India in the months to come which will take the total tally of offerings based on this 373 cc engine to six (including Dominar 400)."

Source: https://bikeadvice.in/ktm-390-duke-r...ndia-increase/

The article may be dated, but it gives clearly the numbers involved. These two bikes are simply not playing on the same field as far as sales are concerned.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 20th October 2020 at 15:33.
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 15:51   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wishful thinking in my opinion ...
Not Entirely i feel. Take the above Nitinbhaskar's case for eg. I doubt he would have bought the 310gs for 4.5L which is what it was costing in Bangalore earlier. He considered so many bikes including the 390A and eventually settled for the 310gs. There will be more like him. Every sale counts, and a lost customer is not just lost at sales but also the business he gives during service for a longer time. The reduced price along with some added features would definitely lure some to change boats.
But yes, on a larger scale, say pan India, The numbers may not show much. KTM has a much more larger reach interns of sales and service outlet compared to BMWs 10 outlets and will have sale volumes to speak of.
nasirkaka is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks