Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2020, 12:17   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
I would advise you to spend some time with a 310 and you will know why I am saying that the bike is better put together as compared to a KTM .
I have spent a bit of time on the BMW and nope it didn't cut it for me. I was encouraged to get a used one too, but i backed off. That bike just didn't have the oomph factor which KTM brings - For ME.

So here it is. Its a tradeoff. Some folks like Nasir trade off speed, electronic hardware, and outright performance for relatively better build quality, badge experience, cushy suspension, city rideability and a lower seat height. I know those were very important things for him because i was an extremely close part of his buying and whining experience.

Some folks like me prefer the cheaper spares, nationwide service, and the raw performance advantage alongside the suite of electronics and hardware. He knows this too because he was an extremely close part of my buying and whining experience.

And some folks like Ebonho prefer the first gen 390 duke right from mountain carving to enduro riding may god bless his lower back amen!

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-00100lrportrait_00100_burst20200607075445238_cover.jpg

Last edited by Red Liner : 13th October 2020 at 12:19.
Red Liner is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 12:27   #77
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

And some folks like Ebonho prefer the first gen 390 duke right from mountain carving to enduro riding may god bless his lower back amen!
If you think a first gen Duke is bad, try riding a race geometry alloy road bike like a Cannondale CAAD over 400 km under 20 hours.

Engage core, as @graaja would say!

But seriously, for first gen Duke owners, it's all about the bike. Minus electronics and colored screens and gizmo do-das, and rider aids.

It's the modern version of a purist's old school raw and pure bike street racer.

One stonking motor.

One stonking chassis.

Coming together to make one stonking bike.

Perfect.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 13th October 2020 at 12:46.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 13:18   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I've not been riding my KTM so don't know about the 1800 pads.
Get back on motorcycles Doc! Bring those riding gear out, it seems that the monsoons in Pune are still waiting for you to ride this season.

We totally get each other's point of buying the be best suited motorcycle off the shelf!

Glad that so many options are here to have a healthy debate! KTM fans will have another bike to discuss which will under cut the GS310 price, the 250 Adventure. (That in the 250 adv thread)

Coming back to the GS310, are test rides being offered in other cities? BMW Pune is offering TR from Friday as per their FB page. Mostly will be a spin around the showroom and the only adventure will be dodging the under construction metro rail.

Enjoy your ride,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 13:39   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Get back on motorcycles Doc! Bring those riding gear out, it seems that the monsoons in Pune are still waiting for you to ride this season.

We totally get each other's point of buying the be best suited motorcycle off the shelf!

Glad that so many options are here to have a healthy debate! KTM fans will have another bike to discuss which will under cut the GS310 price, the 250 Adventure. (That in the 250 adv thread)

Coming back to the GS310, are test rides being offered in other cities? BMW Pune is offering TR from Friday as per their FB page. Mostly will be a spin around the showroom and the only adventure will be dodging the under construction metro rail.

Enjoy your ride,
surjaonwheelz
Nothing till next year bro, till the vaccine is out and cases stabilize. Very happy indoor riding till then like most of this year, with Sunday centuries on the roadie, and weekday e-riding on Team BHP.

Speaking of the KTM250, with just 4-5 bhp and Nm torque over it's 200 sibling, I don't see its position in the stable over the 200 to begin with, forget undercutting the BMW, which has as many ponies and Nm torque over it, as it does over the 200.

A 290 would have made sense. The 250 is in no man's land.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 13th October 2020 at 13:57.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 17:44   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I love this new pricing of the BMW twins. Rather interestingly, the BMW G310R and the TVS Apache 310RR now have the same ex-showroom pricing. I dont know if TVS will be very happy with the decision from its partner. The brand value of the German badge will pull a lot of buyers into the BMW showrooms for sure. I can see the G310R sales picking up a lot with this new BS6 pricing. The GS 310 should also do better now than before but the real winner is likely to be the naked avataar.

The cheaper G310R with its less frenetic nature could appeal to a lot of buyers who are upgrading from lower capacity motorcycles. Not all buyers in this segment have experience with bigger bikes and a more comfortable and forgiving bike could be what a lot of buyers are looking for. If you throw in the average crowded city commute, not everyone will want a redlining A2 level bike that needs revs, revs and more revs.
Rightly said, in my opinion. The price revision and a slight product update from this brand, is good for the market (and buyers).

And I don't get why so many discussions here on this 2021 BMW 310 GS about KTM 390 Adv being the better bike, with 10nm more power and 10nm more Torque. Fine, its the better, 'more powerful adv bike', can we move forward to hearing more about how the 2021 310GS is turning out to be?
k_ajay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 19:05   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have spent a bit of time on the BMW and nope it didn't cut it for me. I was encouraged to get a used one too, but i backed off. That bike just didn't have the oomph factor which KTM brings - For ME.
I do not agree. First impression lasts. You rode the 310 for the first time on a 6 lane highway from hosur to krishnagiri, jumping on it right from your versys 650 seat. Thats the weakest area of the 310. Ofcourse it wont impress. Post that you have spend a lot of time with the 310 but not really spent much time on the saddle. Cant judge a fish by its ability to climb trees. Let meet one of these weekends, exchange our bikes and ride for a while over bad roads, trails. It might be able to slightly impress you there. Other factor which put you off was ofcourse the very absurd BMW pricing.

Quote:
So here it is. Its a tradeoff. Some folks like Nasir trade off speed, electronic hardware, and outright performance for relatively better build quality, badge experience, cushy suspension, city rideability and a lower seat height. I know those were very important things for him because i was an extremely close part of his buying and whining experience.

Some folks like me prefer the cheaper spares, nationwide service, and the raw performance advantage alongside the suite of electronics and hardware. He knows this too because he was an extremely close part of my buying and whining experience.
True and that is what i have been trying to say all along. With the earlier pricing BMW 310 twins were dead meat, now with revised pricing they will sell some for sure. Its a trade off as you said and there are enough people on both sides of the fence.

Quote:
Doc is just smitten by the duke 390 spell and impossible to pull him out.
A point he made about KTMs racing pedigree is actually my grudge. When 390 Adv was about to launch, i was contemplating about trading the 310 for the 390 adv. What good is having all those dakar championships and podium finishes and off road racing pedigree where they simply lifted the 390 engine (well suited for a naked street or sports bike) with same ratios, drive terrain, sprockets etc and cloned it on 390 Adv. Least they could have done is claimed to have played with some tuning etc like for eg kawi does with versys 650 over ninja 650. A slightly more purpose tweaked engine would have been ideal with adjustable suspension which they use on export models (even as offered at additional cost).
I still feel the 310 is no match for 390A on the road, but off road the 310 has a slight edge due to low seat, better GC, longer and comfortable suspension, better ergonomics, and better saddling.
nasirkaka is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 19:15   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I do not agree. First impression lasts. You rode the 310 for the first time on a 6 lane highway from hosur to krishnagiri, jumping on it right from your versys 650 seat. Thats the weakest area of the 310. Ofcourse it wont impress. Post that you have spend a lot of time with the 310 but not really spent much time on the saddle. Cant judge a fish by its ability to climb trees. Let meet one of these weekends, exchange our bikes and ride for a while over bad roads, trails. It might be able to slightly impress you there. Other factor which put you off was ofcourse the very absurd BMW pricing.

Haha, sure why not. Its been a while since we met anyway how about a joint video review so that everyone here can also watch our ride experience on each others bikes.

And yes with this price correction, the BMW will sell better and receive its fair share of love
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 19:58   #83
Senior - BHPian

Everyone is happy!

And Nasir most of us agree with you that the Adv does not do justice to KTM's Dakar pedigree.

You have to ride a KTM 350 thoroughbred to actually begin to realize what the crazy Austrians rule the world with.

I'm a self confessed tarmac hooligan. The last bit of offroading in the mountains is to get to the scenery. And the evening huddled in blankets at minus 18.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 20:11   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post

Coming back to the GS310, are test rides being offered in other cities?
The dealership in Bombay (Navnit Motors, Andheri W) has told me they are expecting test ride vehicles to come in by Oct 16/17.
Old 13th October 2020, 21:03   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Haha, sure why not. Its been a while since we met anyway how about a joint video review so that everyone here can also watch our ride experience on each others bikes.
Boy did I spark the banter on KTM vs BMW with my earlier comment
Looking forward to this for sure. Would love to hear something from both of you on how these fare in real world !!
Old 13th October 2020, 22:51   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Or buy into a motorcycle brand at a premium just for the badge that for the life of me I cannot recall what it's ever won at the international level.

Racing pedigree counts for a lot in my book. Because that's where the you tube reviews and internet wars stop. And the plain truth emerges.
I'm totally with you on not wanting to pay more for just a badge.... but I have to ask, how does racing pedigree and winning relate to a bike meant to be a hobby travel machine that belongs more on the road than off it anyway?

That sounds like vouching for a Ford Ecosport because Ford has a lot of WRC wins.

KTM had its first ever win at moto GP just recently for example. Yet, people here have been almost unanimously loving (or atleast buying) the little dukes since almost a decade.

As for "adventuring" pedigree, BMW has it hands down.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 13th October 2020 at 23:08.
drt_rdr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 23:32   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
I'm totally with you on not wanting to pay more for just a badge.... but I have to ask, how does racing pedigree and winning relate to a bike meant to be a hobby travel machine that belongs more on the road than off it anyway?

That sounds like vouching for a Ford Ecosport because Ford has a lot of WRC wins.

KTM had its first ever win at moto GP just recently for example. Yet, people here have been almost unanimously loving (or atleast buying) the little dukes since almost a decade.

As for "adventuring" pedigree, BMW has it hands down.
I fear the thread is already going way of course with a BMW vs KTM theme rather than discussing the BMW.

I've said what works for me.

You have your opinion and that's fine as well.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 09:51   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aiyoo!! Too many video reviews these days of this Vs that. I am game for a ride though.
Quote:
I fear the thread is already going way of course with a BMW vs KTM theme rather than discussing the BMW.
Coming back to the bike, why would someone remove the already present ABS on/off switch? The showroom rep cited some new rule, but wasent convincing enough. At lease there should be a way to switch it off when desired by rider. There is not even the option of going into the menu and switching it off like offered on other bikes. There was already hardware and software on the outgoing model, why they did they do away with that on a bike which is proposed to go offroad? cant really be the cost cutting.
Old 14th October 2020, 12:02   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW G310R and G310GS arrives at dealerships across the country

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-smartselect_20201014115841_chrome.jpg

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-smartselect_20201014115849_chrome.jpg

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-smartselect_20201014115909_chrome.jpg

Quote:
The names of all the dealerships (along with their locations) that will be offering the 2020 G 310 R and the G 310 GS are Delhi (Lutyens Motorrad), Mumbai (Navnit Motors), Pune (Bavaria Motors), Chennai (KUN Motorrad), Bengaluru (Tusker Motorrad), Ahmedabad (Gallops Autohaus), Kochi (EVM Autokraft), Hyderabad (JSP Motorrad), Indore (Munich Motors), Lucknow (Speed Motors), Chandigarh (Krishna Automobiles), Jaipur (Pratap Motorrad), Raipur (Mandhan Motors), Cuttack (OSL Prestige) and Ranchi (Titanium Autos).
https://www.overdrive.in/news-cars-a...s-the-country/
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 19:04   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Coming back to the bike, why would someone remove the already present ABS on/off switch? The showroom rep cited some new rule, but wasent convincing enough. At lease there should be a way to switch it off when desired by rider.
Very true.
For my usage (weekend rides + hitting trails), I found 310 GS to be quite apt. However, the absence of switchable ABS is such a bummer.

Does BMW want us to follow the below steps right before we hit trails:
1. Switch off the bike & take out keys
2. Remove the seats
3. Take out the ABS fuse
4. Put back the seat and then start off

To them it may be added adventure but I will find it frustrating to follow this every time

This is really a bummer !!
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks