Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2020, 13:29   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
This came up my feed recently.
IMO, the guy has really pushed the bike in terms of off-roading. However, I noticed that he is just using engine guards (no fairing guards) in such terrains.

Is engine guard good enough for bike's protection ? Does it save the fairing also in case of inevitable crash ?

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=FuntJk1btx4
This shows that is is one heck of a capable bike. Forget the paper specs and comparisons with the KTM. the underpinnings of this Beemer are top notch and that gives it pretty decent capability.
Old 13th December 2020, 15:02   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Great pricing. This is what is should have been on the previous launch as well. LED lights at this price makes the BS6 versions really good purchases.
What I don't understand is, if they can afford to price the BS6 product, with LED lamps, at a price lower than BS4 now, why didn't they have lower launch prices in the first place?

Was it simply that they were certain that the logo would justify the increased price or were they worried that people would've been suspicious of a low price BMW?

I guess the KTM Adv and the Husky twins have helped change their mind about the pricing..

Like others have mentioned, if the parts and service costs too are brought down a bit, the sales might improve significantly. .
Old 14th December 2020, 23:11   #183
BHPian

Got my bike today. It went smooth with Tusker keeping everything ready, including the temp registration number neatly stickered. I just had to wait for a 310R delivery to be completed. It was unveiling a soft white cloth from the bike and someone handing over the keys. The staff were courteous.

Features were explained and I was advised to book a service appointment well in advance. They gave a complimentary tank bag, which I am yet to open.

The bike came with Metzler tyres. There were 4 GS bikes in this lot, one was delivered on Saturday, one was next to my bike, fit with neat accessories. It looks like they have no visibility into what comes next. Every lot will apparently have only few GS based on BMW production priorities.

They gave me a story when I asked for extended warranty at the advertised discounted price for initial 1000 bookings. They didn't accept money for it when I made full payment in October, saying it will be done at the time of delivery. Today they said that it was only for first 500 vehicles delivered and it was exceeded. I didn't bother much since my usage will be low, but again it is wrong to mislead buyers through wrong advertise or blatantly lie.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-20201214_121839.jpg  

Mogs is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 00:30   #184
BHPian

I could ride the bike only for about 20 km today. It is easy to handle and very comfortable over bad roads, the primary reason for me to buy it.

I am over 6 ft and am yet to get used to the bike. I had slight difficulty swinging my leg over the bike, my foot getting obstructed by the parcel tray. The footrest for pillion is a bit too high for comfort. There is vibration near the tank and there was slight plastic burning smell, which hopefully will disappear after some use. The mirrors don't have a wide view and the horn begs replacement.

What bothers me the most is the side stand. The bike does not feel very stable after engaging side stand and sort of wobbles. The bike is an attention magnet and am worried that it may topple if someone even slightly leans on it. Have to get it checked if it is due to any fitment issue on my bike. Will look forward to a reasonably priced center stand.
Mogs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 07:39   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs View Post
Got my bike today.
Many congratulations Mogs.
Hope you cover lots of kms on her. On side stand, please invest in a side stand extender which you can easily find online. That will keep the bike planted in all the terrains.

Also, the bike will be bit gruff for initial kms when the cycle parts are bedding in. Hopefully post that or first service things will be smoother.

Keep us posted on your further impressions.
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 12:55   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingCanvas View Post
What I don't understand is, if they can afford to price the BS6 product, with LED lamps, at a price lower than BS4 now, why didn't they have lower launch prices in the first place?
They thought they were god before but nobody came to worship them. Then saw the sales on the TVS, and they saw the sales on the KTMs, and took some quiet time for themselves introspecting and meditating on their foolish attitude and directionless life. Now they're back to their senses, have humbled themselves before the real god called customer (but only partly), and as a result, they're seeing their own sales too.

I mean it had no chance of survival if they had kept the prices the same.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 15th December 2020 at 12:58.
drt_rdr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 17:58   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
I mean it had no chance of survival if they had kept the prices the same.
It just surprises me, you know.. Don't they do a proper market research to study the value proposition they offer and the competition they are against?

With some well timed launches at right prices, so many cars/bikes could have had way more success, if not early mover advantage. BMW G310R especially could have been a hit with more realistic prices, instead of price corrections now, after losing some momentum and customer goodwill.

If the automotive companies hire a dozen people to closely follow team-bhp page alone to see the pulse of the people and collate the tactical/strategic/marketing ideas that member put up here, and actually work upon them, I'm sure they can get rid of their entire planning divisions.
FloatingCanvas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 21:14   #188
BHPian

Businesses always want to make as big a profit as possible. BMW expected people to be blinded by the badge. Maybe people would have been back in 2018 if only the TVS rr310 based wasn't priced significantly lower, or better yet, not existed at all.
Old 15th December 2020, 23:24   #189
BHPian

Got to ride over some real bad roads today. I am new to adventure bikes and it was quite a revelation on why people prefer it for long rides. The ride is so natural and effortless.

Humps almost do not disturb you, you can coast over them at decent speeds. It feels good to overtake several large SUVs moving slowly on potholes. The bike has adequate power to overtake most scooters and bikes on indian roads. The braking is good and inspires confidence. The LED lights are more than adequate. Most people will not require a handle bar raiser for city riding. Kudos to BMW engineers for putting together such a nice bike.

The gear lever is small and the rear brake lever though functional, looks odd. I had ordered Wunderlich enlargers from motousher. Excellent service. They delivered the same day through Dunzo and also provided a complimentary chain lube. Hopefully will get the accessories fitted this week.

The metallic blue color on Rallye really shines in sunlight with bright dots. Dust settles on it quickly, maybe some coating will help. Color was an important deciding factor while buying the bike as I have a fascination for blue, especially the shade on BMW. Finally, I got a bike which matches my favourite helmet
Attached Thumbnails
2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-20201214_122047.jpg  

Mogs is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 17:32   #190
BHPian

Got to ride about 300km over the weekend and the convenience and comfort factor really stand out. The power delivery is very smooth and not much vibrations. It is so natural and easy to ride that you can almost forget about the bike and focus only around you while riding. Could bypass many cars getting off the road during slow patches.

The tyres provide outstanding grip and you never feel out of control. The high are broad handle bars and seat are comfortable over long rides. The instrument console is very informative and even shows distance to empty, average fuel consumption, trip meters, date, time etc like cars. It showed 3.1l per 100km after the trip. I didn't exceed 80 kmph and 5 krpm due to run-in.

You really can't ask for more from this bike.. awesome looks, comfort of a big bike, good price point, smooth engine, amazing shocks, sticky tyres, slipper clutch, dual disk brakes with ABS, adjustable levers, all LED lights.

If I have to find negatives, it feels underpowered and dare say a bit boring due to linear and smooth power delivery on straight roads. But this is not a bike built for race tracks.

Most accessories were installed before the ride. Got ceramic coating done at my regular place Guli Automobiles in Mysore for only the blue tank covering, looks even better. Got a practical seat cover done before the ride.

Accessories worth the spend and work as expected -

Side stand, Rear Brake lever and Gear lever extenders, Engine gaurd, Engine crash gaurd, Radiator grill, Rear fender gaurd cover, Tyre hugger, High windshield (transparent would be better), Saddle stays

Accessories to avoid..

1. Offroad footpegs - got it removed as the space between gear lever and footpeg was very low.

2. Headlight gaurd - did not fit well, was too short and was touching the headlight. Have to get it extended as probably it was designed for BS4 bikes.

3. Beak extender - have to fix with screws or drill a hole to install it, better avoided. Bike looks good even without it.

A few photos below:
Attached Thumbnails
2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-20201220_071451.jpg  

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-20201220_155701.jpg  

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-20201220_155722.jpg  

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-20201220_155738.jpg  

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-20201220_155833.jpg  

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-20201220_160308.jpg  

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-20201220_160320.jpg  

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-20201220_155814.jpg  

Mogs is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 20:08   #191
BHPian

Quote:
The power delivery is very smooth and not much vibrations.
When you say not much vibrations, do you mean that you still feel them on tank / foot pegs etc ? In case your point of reference is twin cylinders or inline 4, then its sure going to feel a bit gruff

Quote:
It is so natural and easy to ride that you can almost forget about the bike and focus only around you while riding.
Zigwheels folks say the exact same thing !!

BTW run-in specifies 6K rpm limit so you can still push a bit further.
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 20:32   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Got to ride about 300km over the weekend and the convenience and comfort factor really stand out. The power delivery is very smooth and not much vibrations. It is so natural and easy to ride that you can almost forget about the bike and focus only around you while riding. Could bypass many cars getting off the road during slow patches.
:
I am looking to buy something at <4L range and GS is among top 3 contenders. Please continue to provide feedback as you click more mileage.
Also if you can provide comparative NVH against other bikes, it would be helpful.
Old 21st December 2020, 16:37   #193
BHPian

Friends, sorry for the long post..

Did another 200 km today morning. Thanks to Nitinbhaskar's input, most of the ride was around 90 kmph. Haven't read the manual yet.The bike crosses 100km by 6krpm in 6th gear. Faced a lot of cross wind in the morning during the ride. Nothing unnerving, but there was a bit of wobble during winds or passing SUVs due to lighter weight and higher center of gravity. The tank provides a range of over 400 km with fuel reserve sign lit with about 90km range.

A bit old school on running-in, didn't cross 90 kmph most times. The engine sounds a bit coarse after 90, much like knocking sound when accelerating or uphill. The fuel efficiency improved to 2.9l/100km as the stretch was largely empty and probably cruising in its comfort zone.

About the vibrations, it is minimal and not irritating. It is mostly felt on the tank. Not so much on the footpegs, handle bar or levers. Hopefully, it should reduce after first service. I booked the earliest available slot, 13th Jan. If the sales improve, we may have to book for 1st service before the bike!

@Nitinbhaskar is spot on, can't avoid vibrations on single cylinders. Am spoilt by smoothness of my other bikes.. a fully kitted out inline 4, Z800 (Termignoni full system, K&N and Bazzaz TC) which I am riding for over 4 years and a twin cylinder Interceptor 650 for close to 2 years.

@omzworld, sharing my experience with my bikes so far.

Z800 literally takes off and gives the thrilling acceleration of 0-100 in just over 3s. I run out of guts before the bike can run out of steam. Almost all other vehicles seem stationary. The power delivery, shocks, braking and handling are great, but it gets tiring beyond half a day. It is seriously like a weapon and only for seasoned drivers. It leads to some road rage by car drivers with big egos as the bike looks like a big pulsar and they get offended that they can't catchup with it.

Interceptor is gem of a bike, very smooth and powerful. I frankly prefer it for long rides on roads over 310GS, except for the tire with tubes. It is shaky on bad patches and feels heavy off road, which is GS forte. So both complement each other well.

I rode a classic 500 for about 6 years, 30k km before the interceptor and enjoyed the easy posture, low end torque fit with a Red Rooster, K&N and powertronics. The handling and rear brakes were poor. The vibrations make it unusable over 110 kmph. I fell once in a bit of offroad due to lack of experience and uneven braking. I got rear disk brakes fit which made it better, but I wanted something safer with ABS. Following team-bhp, I almost went for Versys but the desire to experience an inline 4 got the better of me.

My itch for an adventure bike resurfaced by the BS6 launch, when I was flooded with marketing material for Thar. My car loan will complete only next year and it was an opportunity to try out an offroad two wheeler, if not the Thar.

Very happy with the purchase so far. I am getting younger by the day and downsizing made a lot of sense for convenience and longer usage. Missed to mention two more plus points earlier, the ride by wire throttle, probably the reason for smooth power delivery and tubeless tires, can't take it for granted! Though I have been lucky not to be stranded by my bikes at wrong times, an Mi tyre inflater and tubeless puncture kit in the luggage will provide so much more peace of mind.

Am getting back my trusted RX135 fit with pular disk brake on front, yezdi tyre at rear for city rides. Nothing beats that one for least maintenance and convenience. Runs without a battery and starts in 2 kicks after months of non usage.

I believe in horses for courses, than wait for an almost ideal setup like classic 650 or Himalayan 650. One can earn back money but not time.

Thank you all. Below are my bikes ..Ninja 300 belongs to my cousin.

Ride safe, ride responsible.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-20201215_175719.jpg  

Mogs is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 00:30   #194
BHPian

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-reyah.jpg
Finally she is home

Took delivery today. Though had to wait for couple of deliveries before me, it was a smooth affair. Got a complimentary tank bag. Also, bike had 4 litres of fuel in it and the ODO showed 0 KM.

While coming back, had to face immense traffic and the fan kicked in couple of times. Took 5 mins of break when I saw engine temperature rising above 100.
Now eagerly awaiting for Sunday to take her out for spin.
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 13:08   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Attachment 2096948
Finally she is home

Took delivery today. Though had to wait for couple of deliveries before me, it was a smooth affair. Got a complimentary tank bag. Also, bike had 4 litres of fuel in it and the ODO showed 0 KM.
CONGRATULATIONS

Just yesterday while heading out of Bangalore saw a bunch of BMW bikers on a plathora of adventure bikes. The 310 fits right in with the big boys.

Have many a safe kms on the bike.

Please start an ownership thread too.
Mafia is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks