Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2020, 15:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda Cliq discontinued in India

Honda appears to have discontinued the Cliq in India. The scooter is no longer listed on the brand's website.

Honda Cliq discontinued in India-cliq.jpg

The Honda Cliq was launched in June 2017. It was powered by a 109.19cc, single-cylinder engine that made 8 BHP @ 7,000 rpm and 8.94 Nm @ 5,500 rpm. The engine was paired with a continuously variable transmission.

Honda Cliq was targeted at lower tier markets in India. However, unlike other models like the Activa, the Cliq failed to find buyers. The low sales numbers is likely to be one of the reasons why Honda chose not upgrade the Cliq to comply with BS6 emission norms.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 16:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Cliq discontinued in India

It was Honda's Nano moment several times over. They thought a clever-ish peppy minimal scoot would sell given their rock solid consumer standing. If I was in the market for a scoot, I would've considered it - it was kind of cool. Alas it was too minimal for ANYONE to take it seriously.

I doubt anyone's really missing it, esp the dealers! Moving such stock is always a pain!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 18:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Navi was weird. But a very 'I want that in my garage' kind of weird. So I bought one during the BS4 transition sale in 2017.

This, the Cliq, is weird too. But this I did not want. Probably nobody wanted it.
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 19:56   #4
BHPian

I still remember when Honda was introducing Navi, they tried to raise some interest by clever marketing and since a lot of people (at least auto enthusiasts) were aware of similar designed bikes like Honda GROM and monkey bikes, it still managed to generate interest. Although the styling was weird, it was not something that was not something that was tried earlier, but when it comes to Cliq, it was just plain hack job I thought. I wish Honda had put in a little more effort and with such a reliable engine and underpinnings, they could have surely come up with something better. I saw quite a few delivery guys and rental bike companies preferred Cliq due to its cheap price. Plastic quality could have been better coz I have seen many bikes with cracked front ends.

Overall a good enough attempt but needed a little more commitment from the automaker and some sturdy plastics.

Last edited by samee_arian : 14th April 2020 at 19:58.
samee_arian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 21:22   #5
BHPian

I have both Cliq and Dio at my home, most of my family finds the Cliq to be more comfortable over the Dio. We bought the Cliq after an ever so reliable TVS XL Super, needing a light and nimble two wheeler. It was also the cheapest Honda at the showroom. It did have it's downsides, the range is a joke and so was the quirky design. I will miss the Cliq in Indian markets for sure.
Old 14th April 2020, 22:08   #6
BANNED

I, for one, really liked the Cliq, and if I were in the market, this is the scooter that I would buy. I also liked the Dio, but that was vetoed by everyone in the family, and this wasnt.

However, there was only one chink in its armour, which always stopped me from going out and getting one. And that was its abysmal fuel tank capacity. Its full tank holds, and I kid you not. 3.5 Litres of fuel. Thats a range of 150 KM on a full tank (assuming 45 kmpl).

I've seen track only sports cars with more range than that.
turbo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 09:43   #7
BANNED

We have two cliqs at office. Got a very good deal on them last year. My staff really likes it as it’s comfortable, they can carry the bags easily and pretty quick. I rode them twice and found them decent for my use. We might CNG our Cliqs soon.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 14:23   #8
BHPian

Honda makes good looking scooters. They got their act wrong with CLIQ and NAVI. I wonder what their design team had in their vision as these are dull products. They lack common mass appeal eventually leading to phase outs. I hope Honda does not repeat such mistakes and come up with more visually appealing and environmentally friendly scooters.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks