Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2007, 17:03   #1
BHPian

Info for my Dio

hey,
came across this great place after searching the net for about 2 hrs on honda dio mods..lol.. i have bought a Honda Dio about a month old. Its got about 376km on it and i just wanted to ask wat can i start with?
I live in Pune and when i went through the forums i noticed somebody mentioning some chinoy, who is this guy and how can he help me? any ph number?

Also just to give you guys an idea of wat i'm hoping to achieve, then maybe you guys will be able to help me out in a better manner..

1. I dont wanna pull off wheelies, i am not looking for showoff.
2. I want maximum juice from the engine in the shortest time. in simple words, am looking for great acceleration
3. I dont wanna compromise much on the mileage part so while suggesting please also tell as to how much decrease i can expect in mileage.
4. I wanna start with the smallest to the biggest mods so advice accordingly. for the first buck, my budget is about 1000 so suggest me anything in that range. also please keep in mind that the mods you are suggessting dont require to be paired with anything else immediately or that way i may exceed my budget..
5. This may sound kiddish but i want a sweet sounding engine which spells power but not too loudly. i heard an air filter may do that trick. correct me if i'm wrong.

thanks guys. looking for a reply.
and once again, this is a great place. never thought indians would finally jump into the modding scene.

xmOD
Old 17th March 2007, 14:19   #2
BHPian

U Should go in for a K&N...but dont think that can come for a 1k
Old 17th March 2007, 17:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

I dont wanna be a wet blanket,..but please try a K&N with caution.
Friends Dio + Uni filter=Seized engine(Replaced with stock filter,bike fixed under warranty)

Friends Dio + My K&N = Seized engine(2000 bucks for engine rework)
It was a trial and both times we didnt upjet,..try your luck..our engines seized in 2-3 days

Take it to a good tuner and get your inlet,exhaust ports enlarged and polished.
Transverse ports...hmm..???I think you can do somethinjg to these too.

thats it i guess
Old 18th March 2007, 23:04   #4
BHPian

OMG ! feel sorry for u...but didnt get y exactly it happend
Old 19th March 2007, 10:51   #5
BHPian

no am also gettting the jetting done. So i dont think the engine seize problem should repeat with me too, atleast i hope so!

At present am getting a K&N air filter, Jetting, Race CDI installed in my dio which should boost up my low end and top end acceleration. Later on i will get the porting done too.

Any good tuners in pune?
Old 19th March 2007, 12:57   #6
BHPian

@binz: now as i come to think of it, your engines seized because you did not get the jetting done. Installing just the air filter without the jetting causes the mixture(air/fuel) to run lean which in turn causes the engine to overheat faster becasue of which your engines seized. Always, get this job done in pairs(K&N and jetting) which ensures that the mix is always balanced.

Oh and i have now raised my budget to 3000 bucks cause i realised not much can be done in 1k.
Old 19th March 2007, 15:11   #7
BHPian

where exactly did u get the Race CDI from ? how much ?
Old 20th March 2007, 00:01   #8
BHPian

well, i imported the RACE CDi from the US and got it for about $55 minus the shipping because my bro bought it along with him. You can also buy one from Ebay.com. Mine is a adjustable CDi which means i can control the RPM range according to me. The adjustable ones are a bit expensive but normal ones in which the settings are pre set are cheap.

The link below is for a adjustable race CDi for scooters.
eBay Motors: ADJUSTABLE HONDA Dio PGO PEUGEOT SYM 50-100cc RACE CDI (item 150103405968 end time Mar-25-07 09:54:13 PDT)

I'm not sure of the quality of the CDi selling on ebay but i think it'll work.

I still have mine with me and will install it myself when i get the filter and jetting complete after my exams are over.
Old 20th March 2007, 02:11   #9
BHPian

free flow exhaust....
Old 20th March 2007, 06:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post

Transverse ports...hmm..???

hmmm...??? is right. what are transverse ports, binz?
Old 20th March 2007, 06:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

very little you can do easily for a dio, my friend.

if i were you, i'd make a freeflow exhaust, then a freeflow intake with a UNI filter (NOT k&n), play with ign timing (not sure if this can be done with the stock ign system), cam timing (retard for more power at top end, advance for low end) and carburetion.
then if necessary, i'd go in for a higher compression ratio. with these mods your standard gearing will make the bike too slow so you'd have to modify the clutch to open at a higher rpm. this can be done quite easily.

if its a 2-stroke then thats a different story.

ananth

p.s. what results are you seeing with the race cdi.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 20th March 2007 at 06:19.
Old 20th March 2007, 12:06   #12
BHPian

i dont know why most people suggest UNI filters. I mean i know they are good but they are made for ATV's and Dirt Bikes which operate in wet, dusty conditions and the kind of travel i do everyday does not involve such conditions so thats the reason why i thought of K&N.

@ananthkamath: How would i modify the clutch to open at a higher RPM? And yes, the Dio is a 4 Stroke vehicle. What about the cam timing?where is it located and how can it be altered? When you say ignition timing, do you mean the small the small screw that controls the idle speed? because i'm guessing that assumption of mine is wrong so please guide me on this.

Also what about tuners in pune? Are there any places in Pune where i can buy a freeflow exhaust for my Dio?
Old 20th March 2007, 13:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
hmmm...??? is right. what are transverse ports, binz?
i dunno...thats why the"???"
That tutu guy mentioned something about it in autocar.I know what i posted is making me look stupid right now...the rest of the stuff can be done though.
Old 20th March 2007, 19:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

well the uni filters are supposed to be good for indian road conditions and reportedly flow better than K&N. I'm not a 100% on this information though.

the clutch rollers should be lightened to open later but again this is a delicate job, you can easily overdo it.

good decision on taking the bike to a good tuner rather than attempting anything yourself. Ashraf Sheik of Ashemoto was supposed to be a good tuner but i dont know if he's still around in pune.

binz: atleast you admitted you dont know what you're talking about. Good on you, bud. i think you meant transfer ports. but that's where you're wrong. 4-strokes dont have transfer ports.
Old 20th March 2007, 20:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
binz: atleast you admitted you dont know what you're talking about. Good on you, bud. i think you meant transfer ports. but that's where you're wrong. 4-strokes dont have transfer ports.
Yea transfer ports exactly.Im still young..still learning

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks