Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2024, 12:45   #1336
BANNED

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by virajvroom View Post
HeadFox Steelbird SBA-7 N2 Air Road: This budget-friendly Bluetooth helmet has a long battery life; I haven't tested it for long tours yet. I planned to buy a C30 intercom but then did a reality check. I seldom ride in groups. So this should do the job.
This helmet is Steelbird helmet which costs around Rs 1500 -2000 in market with addition of Bluetooth. This helmet does not have ECE certifications. Would not recommend you to use other than small run arounds around your house for getting grocery, etc, where you might not want to carry costly helmets. Definitely not for touring, with powerful motorcycle like KTM 390 Adv. Go for ECE certified helmets like LS2, Axxor, SMK, MT, etc. Don't fall for Bluetooth gimmick, you can always buy a standalone Bluetooth devices from market starting from Rs 1.5k.
Old 8th August 2024, 12:54   #1337
BHPian

Hi , what is the correct sequence / procedure of connecting /pairing phone , TFT cluster & helmet mounted bluetooth communication headset. I tried connecting the phone seperately to cluster and headset. That made the audio phone calls to be directed to the cluster. I tried connecting botjlh headset and phone to cluster with no connection b/w phone and headset. Ofcourse that didn’t work. So thinking what is the right procedure so that i can use the handlebar mounted controls to pickup calls but the audio gets routed to the headset.
Old 8th August 2024, 15:48   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring_spirit View Post
Hi , what is the correct sequence / procedure of connecting /pairing phone , TFT cluster & helmet mounted bluetooth communication headset. I tried connecting the phone seperately to cluster and headset. That made the audio phone calls to be directed to the cluster. I tried connecting botjlh headset and phone to cluster with no connection b/w phone and headset. Ofcourse that didn’t work. So thinking what is the right procedure so that i can use the handlebar mounted controls to pickup calls but the audio gets routed to the headset.
The following is the procedure I had used for Cardo headset

1. Pair / Connect phone to motorcycle.
2. Headset to be paired to phone only.
3. Connect headset to phone.
4. Start playing music using headset buttons. You can use the bike controls to forward / reverse the music.
5. Always use headset controls to attend phone.

If you attend calls using the bike buttons, the call will be routed through the bike bluetooth.
skviknaraj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 16:50   #1339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skviknaraj View Post

If you attend calls using the bike buttons, the call will be routed through the bike bluetooth.

This is what was happening. Will try attending using the headset. Pairing phone to cluster is important to know who is calling and cancelling quickly.
Old 8th August 2024, 20:09   #1340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
This helmet is Steelbird helmet which costs around Rs 1500 -2000 in market with addition of Bluetooth. .............Go for ECE certified helmets like LS2, Axxor, SMK, MT, etc. Don't fall for Bluetooth gimmick, you can always buy a standalone Bluetooth devices from market starting from Rs 1.5k.
Thank you for your concerns and suggestions. As I said in the video, buy what you are comfortable with and have the budget for.

However, I have evaluated most of the points buying this one. I am a tad bit more aware of Steelbird and Vega due to my past associations. ISI, DOT, and ECE have almost the same list of tests. It is just that a third-party lab verifies ECE tests while the other two are tested in manufacturers' own facilities. Both can be questionable and reliable at the same time based on the tests you prefer giving more stress. The whole hoopla around ECE started recently with the number of local importers selling overpriced helmets online. Just like a few years ago, no one really knew or cared about NCAP.

Regarding speeds, I don't ride above 100 km/hr, regardless of which bike I ride. People have this weird assessment of thinking that bigger bikes are safe for riding above 100. The fact is that an impact/fall doesn't really care which bike you are on.

I see a lot of beginners going for overpriced ECE helmets and not wearing any gear. Doesnt make any sense. Save 2k on the helmet and buy riding gear! And if you really have no budget concerns and are not really confident about ISI, you should probably import the ones certified by SNELL and SHARP. Those go beyond ISI, DOT, and ECE.
Old 8th August 2024, 20:12   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal_Eagle View Post
Hello dear TBHPians, just brought home the Orange mayhem! ADV 390 Rally
Did a thorough PDI before finalising the bike but failed to notice one thing, I feel that the handlebar is very slightly tilted to the right.
Congratulations! My felt tilted to the left. However, the headlight unit wasn't mounted correctly, which they rectified during the first service.
virajvroom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 00:53   #1342
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by virajvroom View Post
However, I have evaluated most of the points buying this one. I am a tad bit more aware of Steelbird and Vega due to my past associations. ISI, DOT, and ECE have almost the same list of tests. It is just that a third-party lab verifies ECE tests while the other two are tested in manufacturers' own facilities. Both can be questionable and reliable at the same time based on the tests you prefer giving more stress. The whole hoopla around ECE started recently with the number of local importers selling overpriced helmets online. Just like a few years ago, no one really knew or cared about NCAP.
Forget about imported helmets, Made in India helmets like SMK, AXXOR(by Vega) should be defiantly be better in quality of materials used and hence better protection, compared to Vega or Steelbird helmets.
Old 19th August 2024, 16:20   #1343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Forget about imported helmets, Made in India helmets like SMK, AXXOR(by Vega) should be defiantly be better in quality of materials used and hence better protection, compared to Vega or Steelbird helmets.
Thanks for sharing your opinion; I hope it helps people who think like you. There is still a big 'should' or 'could' regarding brands selling helmets in their premium range. As I indicated earlier, my update is for people with similar requirements to mine. Steelbird existed even before I was born (90s kids can relate). For me, brand-wise, that is more reliable than Vega, even though I hail from a town close to Belgaum, where Vega helmet is based.
Old 31st August 2024, 05:45   #1344
BHPian

Hi, recently purchased the 390 adventure. Happy to be back to active biking after well over 10 years. Overall good bike but the cluster and visor vibration at lower rpm is irritating. Had to always use 1st gear while crossing speed breakers! Changed the front sprocket to -1 and bike feels way better. Got it from ktm itself. Priced at Rs.249/-. Got a set of liu hjg auxiliary lights. A friend has installed sw-motech add on crash guards to the stock crash guard, no vibration at all of the cluster and visor but very expensive at almost Rs.19000.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_5858.jpeg  

huwaeiguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2024, 12:58   #1345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huwaeiguy View Post
Hi, recently purchased the 390 adventure. Happy to be back to active biking after well over 10 years. Overall good bike but the cluster and visor vibration at lower rpm is irritating. Had to always use 1st gear while crossing speed breakers! Changed the front sprocket to -1 and bike feels way better. Got it from ktm itself. Priced at Rs.249/-. Got a set of liu hjg auxiliary lights. A friend has installed sw-motech add on crash guards to the stock crash guard, no vibration at all of the cluster and visor but very expensive at almost Rs.19000.
Congratulations. May I know what other bikes did you consider and also why you didn't wait for the new adventure with the new 399cc motor. Yesterday, I took a TD of the current gen ADV and the entire cluster was shaking whenever I was slowed down due to traffic and wanted to accelerate in the 3rd gear. The new 399c engine on the new duke did fairly better for similar use case. Will the sprocket change you mention solve the shaking of the cluster/visor etc in the above case?
Old 3rd September 2024, 12:28   #1346
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations, fellow Adventure owner from past 3 years agree that the visor and cluster vibrations are irritating also over time my bike has developed a noise within the cluster which is even more annoying and the service center is unable to solve it.
On the attachment to the stock crash gaurd part feel its better to stick to stock and attach additional sliders rather than changing it to aftermarket ones which adds weight and most of them use improper mountings.
I use the ones below ordered from Amazon they saved my leg during my last Kodaikanal ride when bike fell down during offroading.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-pxl_20240816_072428454.mp.jpg  

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-pxl_20240816_072434296.jpg  

Old 5th September 2024, 10:56   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetanM6 View Post
Congratulations. May I know what other bikes did you consider and also why you didn't wait for the new adventure with the new 399cc motor. Yesterday, I took a TD of the current gen ADV and the entire cluster was shaking whenever I was slowed down due to traffic and wanted to accelerate in the 3rd gear. The new 399c engine on the new duke did fairly better for similar use case. Will the sprocket change you mention solve the shaking of the cluster/visor etc in the above case?
Honestly, none. Test rode it once in March and was really impressed. Wanted a bike with the best riding posture, because of my height, which is 6.2 feet. Felt comfortable and by gods grace could afford it.

Last edited by Axe77 : 5th September 2024 at 11:13. Reason: Caps wherever needed.
huwaeiguy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th September 2024, 08:17   #1348
BHPian

I see a lot of people going from the stock 15T front sprocket to 14T for better low end. On my ADV250 that comes with 14T stock, I recently did the opposite i.e. switched to the 15T from the ADV390 and I'm happy with the lower rpm at high speeds which translates to less vibrations on the footpegs (my main issue with the bike from the start). Need to wring the throttle a little more at slow city speeds, and I also managed to stall the bike while going up my apartment's ramp on the first day after the swap, but I am happy with the compromise. The part was Rs. 249 at KTM and they charged approx Rs. 290 as labour for the swap.

Last edited by boniver : 6th September 2024 at 08:18.
boniver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2024, 10:45   #1349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamNag View Post
Congratulations, fellow Adventure owner from past 3 years agree that the visor and cluster vibrations are irritating also over time my bike has developed a noise within the cluster which is even more annoying and the service center is unable to solve it.
Check whether any allen bolt is missing or not.
Have the same issue. Have a allen bolt missing. Will have to fix this.
Old 6th September 2024, 19:38   #1350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, congrats on the new bike! That’s the first white Adventure that I’m seeing.

I just sold my almost 20k run 2022 bike to a fellow BHPian friend.

I never had the vibration issue, but I can definitely recommend you to get the FuelX Pro, it makes a massive improvement in fixing the leanness and you don’t have to plonk it into 1st gear as much.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks