Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2024, 17:31   #1291
BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shur'tugal View Post
Hi all

After trying a bunch of bikes, I've narrowed it down to the ADV 390 and the new Himalayan. An interesting (and tempting) option is a second hand ADV 390.

I've found a well-maintained, with complete service history bike for 2.5 lakh. It is a 2020 make and has completed 22k KM.

Is the price okay? Any cons on buying second hand?
Second hand ADV is a great prospect if you're able to get a good deal. The service cost on the bike is very pocket friendly so you'd rarely get a bike without regular service. The seller should be able to provide a detailed service history. From my experience on the KTM WhatsApp group, people tend to use this bike as a stepping stone towards a higher capacity bike. So there's a good second hand market. Further with recent addition of lower priced X model, you should find a better pricing for the 2020 standard ADV.

One caveat against 2020 ADV 390 would be a recurring stalling issue - some have been able to solve it, some haven't. If you take a test ride, be mindful of this. 22,000 km is not much for such bikes and should make for a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shur'tugal View Post
Both bikes felt good, Himalayan had a much, much nicer suspension, while the KTM felt a lot more nimble.
KTM now sells its front and rear suspensions from the SW variant, which can be fit onto older KTMs very easily. I have written a thread about this. (2022 KTM 390 Adventure | Upgraded to adjustable rear suspension) My experience with the new suspensions has been two thumbs up. I dial down the suspension stiffness when I am using it as a daily rider for office commute and potholes are a thing of the past. When I am hitting the highway, I turn up the stiffness and you're cruising all day long with superior handling. Given its ~Rs. 7,000 upgrade for rear suspension, you should definitely consider this if your decision comes down to handling.

Lastly, while I have personally no experience riding the new Himalayan, a general theme in the reviews has been the lack of punch compared to the ADV 390. Personally for me, even after 1.5 years of ownership and 17,000 kms, one long-rev to the redline is enough to put a smile on my face. It is addictive. Understand that redlining is optional and the bike will serve you well as a city handler as well (albeit with relatively lower low-end grunt). You win some, you some some.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM if you have any specific queries.

Last edited by Malliketh : 9th January 2024 at 17:46. Reason: Typo
Malliketh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 13:34   #1292
BHPian

My fellow Team BHPians,
Having gone through this thread umpteen times, and having been waiting & wanting the 390 adventure for eons, I finally booked the bike today!
Hoping to get the delivery soon.

I wanted to know how to decode the VIN. If anyone could help, it’ll be great!
kaushalswarup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 17:29   #1293
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by virajvroom View Post
Could you please elaborate on the issue? I am planning to buy one.
Hi Viraj. I bought the top rack in order to mount a top box. However, the JB Racing top rack is attached only to the 2 handlebar bolts, hence with a top box mounted the entire thing starts to wobble dangerously. I contacted Bandidos Pitstop (the seller) and they said that the 2 extra support arms that the rack comes with can be attached to the JB Racing saddle stay for additional support.

While I did have plans to buy a saddle stay anyway, I felt cheated by Bandidos Pitstop since they could've just told me this last bit while placing the order (I had lengthy chats with their sales team before ordering their rack and "premium" top box). Then I would've either not ordered this rack or would've ordered the saddle stay too, at the same time. Before placing the order I specifically clarified whether the top rack will be able to carry the weight of the top box or not, and they replied in the affirmative.

Anyway, I went ahead and purchased a second top rack, this time the Hyperrider Aluminum top rack, which was quite a bit more expensive at Rs. 4990 (the JB Racing one was Rs. 1450 iirc). I'm satisfied with the whole setup as of now and there is no wobble anymore.

The JB Racing backrack (without additional support from the saddle stay) can at best be used to tie rucksacks on it. Should be quite good for that. If you, or any other ADV owner can get it picked up from my place in Delhi, I'll be more than happy to give it away since I don't need it anymore.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-whatsapp-image-20240115-17.21.29.jpeg
The JB Racing rack with no additional support to hold the weight of the top box

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-hyperrider.jpeg
The Hyperrider rack with additional support arms

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-sc.jpeg
The confirmation I received from the Bandidos sales team after which I went ahead with the purchase

Last edited by boniver : 15th January 2024 at 17:31.
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 19:05   #1294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushalswarup View Post
My fellow Team BHPians,
Having gone through this thread umpteen times, and having been waiting & wanting the 390 adventure for eons, I finally booked the bike today!

Congrats on the purchase.

You can google KTM VIN decoder OR try this link: https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/KTM/specs-features

It partially works.
skviknaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 20:47   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My fellow Team BHPians,

By default a VIN is a 17 digit alphanumerical ID. On the KTMs 8th denotes the month and 10th number denotes the year of manufacture. DM me the 8th and 10th number of your VIN and I can get the details for you.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 00:20   #1296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 699755
And it has arrived!
Yet to name this absolute beauty of a machine, but it’s oh so wonderful, in the very short time I’ve ridden it!

Still figuring out quite a few of the features, especially trying to take calls via the bike, on my Bluetooth headset, while using an iPhone. I’m able to listen to music, but calls are an issue.

I’m totally in love with this colour!
The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-fullsizerender.jpeg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-17f4c212e80f4eae9d50f218a3c2f8e2.jpeg
kaushalswarup is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 01:17   #1297
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
And it has arrived!
Yet to name this absolute beauty of a machine, but it’s oh so wonderful, in the very short time I’ve ridden it!
She looks lovely!

Congratulations buddy on your new baby.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 11:25   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Hi Viraj. I bought the top rack in order to mount a top box. However, the JB Racing top rack is attached only to the 2 handlebar bolts, Should be quite good for that. If you, or any other ADV owner can get it picked up from my place in Delhi, I'll be more than happy to give it away since I don't need it anymore.
That's bad. Sorry. Would have picked it up if you were in Pune and checked with a local fabricator to make a custom support bar for this unit. Still would have been a lot of work. One reason why I am not very confident about buying from these online accessories sellers. Quality is a big issue. Items sometimes are totally different from what you expect after seeing the image. to make it worse, Youtubers don't even mention these issues.
Old 18th January 2024, 11:26   #1299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
She looks lovely!

Congratulations buddy on your new baby.

Cheers, Doc
Thank you so much for the wishes!
I hope to enjoy this for a long time, while the adv & dual-sport market in the country improves! That way a few years down the line, there'll be loads of options for an upgrade!

Quote:
Still figuring out quite a few of the features, especially trying to take calls via the bike, on my Bluetooth headset, while using an iPhone. I’m able to listen to music, but calls are an issue.
If anyone has been able to use their iPhone to take calls via the console, it would be helpful to know how to get it working.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 26th January 2024 at 01:32. Reason: spacing
Old 18th January 2024, 17:49   #1300
BHPian

Quote:

If anyone has been able to use their iPhone to take calls via the console, it would be helpful to know how to get it working.
1. Pair your phone to the bikes bluetooth.
2. Pair your helmet bluetooth to the bike.

What happens is that the audio from the phone is routed through the motorcycle unit to the headset. if audio profile is not supported by the helmet bluetooth then you may not be able to get the call audio to your headset even though the call would be attended and ongoing.

I have faced connection issue with my Cardo Freecom4 (it is a 5 year old unit and right now 2 generation devices old.) The headset recognizes the KTM unit as a GPS device and that may be why I am not able to converse with it, but playing music is fine.

What I do is that, the headset is connected to the phone directly and phone is connected to the KTM. Please note that my phone supports connecting to multiple devices. When I receive a call, I directly attend it on the headset and the TFT screen shows the caller details. By doing this, the call audio is sent to the Headset directly and not via the KTM Dash.

I am using an Android 14, Samsung device.

Last edited by skviknaraj : 18th January 2024 at 17:51. Reason: Clarity
skviknaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 13:47   #1301
BHPian

How I Upgraded my KTM 390 ADV Mirrors for INR 250

I purchased my KTM 390 ADV in May 2022, and my first complaint with the bike was the abysmal rear-view mirrors (RVMs). While the stalks are tall and wide enough, the mirror area is sadly lacking and tapered upwards, leading to lacklustre visibility.

To address this, I initially tried using the RVMs from the Avenger, which were wide but not tall enough. Consequently, my shoulder ended up occupying a significant portion of the mirrors, and the aftermarket solutions were too costly to explore and Mirror Extenders I find useless.

With my Pune - Rajasthan Trip on the horizon I decided to go the DIY route which involved using P150/NS200 Mirrors on KTM Stalks. Below are some pictures of the DIY Modification.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20240125_120452.jpg
Mirror removed from Stalk.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20240125_120445.jpg
P150 Stalk and Duke mirror after disassembling

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20231121wa0003.jpg
View from the DIY Solution

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20231224_080909.jpg
Near Narmada Canal on the way to Udaipur

Total Cost: INR 250

Time Taken: 15 Mins

Issues Faced: I have now completed my Rajasthan Trip and the mirrors offered great view but were hanging a little loose due to endless bumps during the trip. This was easy to fix by using Screws from P150 Mirrors rather than KTM ADV ones as I had earlier used.

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th February 2024 at 04:05. Reason: Caps were needed.
maverick029 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 14:29   #1302
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick029 View Post

How i Upgraded my KTM 390 ADV Mirrors for INR 250

I purchased my KTM 390 ADV in May 2022, and my first complaint with the bike was the abysmal rear-view mirrors (RVMs). While the stalks are tall and wide enough, the mirror area is sadly lacking and tapered upwards, leading to lacklustre visibility.
How does the ball end if the stalk come out of the socket in the mirror? Force (pull out / push back in)?

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th February 2024 at 03:55. Reason: Typos.
Old 25th January 2024, 14:45   #1303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
How does the ball end if the stalk come out of the socket jn the mirror? Force (pull out / push back in) ?

Cheers, Doc
There are 3 parts basically:
1. Socket in base of Mirror where the ball fits in,
2. a metal bracket to keep things together,
3. the stalk.

Remove the screws and the metal bracket along with the ball comes out by itself no pull/push is needed. You can check these out if you slide the rubber cover down. I will post more pics on this as soon as I can.

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th February 2024 at 04:35. Reason: Multiple clean up edits.
maverick029 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 18:27   #1304

Looks good. I am using Apache mirrors with stock stems, but it needs more time fix. Because the mounting bracket and ball are different in size, it took more time.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-screenshot_2024012518251186_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg  

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th February 2024 at 04:36. Reason: Clean up edits.
sathasb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 23:29   #1305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathasb View Post
Looks good. Iam using Apache mirrors with stock stems , but it needs more time fix, because the mounting bracket and ball are different in size took more time.
Didn't the Apache mirror stems fit the ADV? I was using Apache mirrors on my D390 with the stems that came with the mirrors. It was a direct fit. The mirrors were a lot better than the stock KTM ones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks