Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2020, 06:59   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I have done sprocket changes on prior bikes, and I found the changes good enough for me to do it therefore on all my bikes.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 6th March 2020, 11:49   #107
Team-BHP Support

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
TPlaying with the sprockets affects your gearing alone, so unless you feel your overall gearing is too tall for the intended use I'd suggest to let things remain stock.
Sprocket change is for shifting the power band delivery. Currently, it is too tall and it falls out of band at lower speed / rpm. Shifting the speed / rpm equation definitely would help. On the other hand, the top speed the bike is capable of is really not an issue, even if it drops by few Kmph. So this would be a good change.

I am waiting for the initial gremlins to be fixed and then definitely would want to do this. Coming from a remapped Duke 390, Adv 390 feels very mild with regards to acceleration. A smaller front should help address this. This is not a bike for top speed runs for me atleast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
International media rides are on!
I got so peeved off seeing it, from the video itself it is so clear how the adjustable set up has made the bike so much more planted on the rough compared to the el cheapo treatment we were handed over. And those power parts, we are offered with crash bobbins, GPS mount and headlight guards instead! The lighter sprocket is available being the exception.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th March 2020 at 17:02.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 20:27   #108
BANNED

Re: KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
How come you guys are getting FE figures in 30s. Duke 390 never gave these numbers, being similar engines. Or is it an issue with my bike only
May be because grunt is missing below 2k rpm.Many modern cars keep lower end loose to achieve higher FE.
Old 7th March 2020, 00:10   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

I got to briefly check out the Adventure 390 at a nearby dealership today. I like the size of it, not too small but not too imposing either. Quality seems fine for a KTM, I guess. Only one white bike was in the showroom, no orange bike is available for display. Apparently only 9 bikes have been sold so far in Kerala. The next batch of bikes is expected to come in by the end of the month. I am unable to flat foot while sitting and need to tilt the bike ever so slightly to one side to get a firm footing. No test rides available today, as the bike was apparently at a college event. One sales guy said the test ride bike will be back on Monday, the other said it wont

The bike needs to be shared with the other dealership in Aluva and these guys are picky about who they give it to. So who knows where the truth lies. I followed Vasuki's example and went there on my big bike this time. Lets see if it has the intended results. Overall the dealership experience was better this time than the last time I visited. It still has a long way to go to meet the high standards of the Royal Enfield showrooms in Cochin though.

The Duke 790 was also on display there. Its amazing how KTM have managed to pack so much firepower (and so many bugs!) into such a compact motorcycle. Not much of a discount is running though, on road price is Rs 9.6 lakhs. I suspect the Cochin dealer may not be sitting on any inventory.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 16:07   #110
BHPian

Nice review from Europe giving some good information. They mention about suspension lowering kit that will be available which can lower the height by 25mm.
Madhu_Bengaluru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 16:45   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-00100lrportrait_00100_burst20200305173543391_cover.jpg

Running in a bike is a chore. It almost feels like work. You cant do this, you cant do that, you cant ride on this road, you can only go on that one. You cant ride on this gear, and dont brake too hard!

Do all or any of these and you risk a catastrophic explosion in your head.

I hunted down three routes for the running in. First one will be an easy 100 kms close by on the highway. Even though a highway, you cant keep straight speeds within a 100 kms of Bangalore, I think they have to rename that radius to Greater Bangalore or something. Suits me fine for this purpose though.

The second was a bit more 2-3-4-5th gear territory. About 200 kms, of which 100 kms is abject half lane to single lane territory, and the other 100 kms is greater bangalore stuff.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20200303wa0003.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20200303wa0010.jpg

What we want vs what we get.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-effects1.jpg

She sizes up big but parks well in tight spaces.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-effects2.jpg

She's a big cat.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200304_105330.jpg

The third was about 400 kms and a copy of the above, making sure I was working all my gears top to bottom (or bottom to top?).

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-effects.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200305_082143.jpg

Mingling with the locals
The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-mvimg_20200305_100331.jpg

I dont remember where the rest of the mileage went, I was at 1055 kms before I hit the first service at the KTM station. Probably within the city.

This is what the bashplate looks like.
The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200306_112739.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200306_112751.jpg

This is cat Con 1. There are two cat cons on this bike.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200306_113119_1.jpg

This is the bracket on which the bash plate sits. Can break a few skulls or coconuts with it.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200306_120044.jpg

I think this might be on order, for me atleast. Anyone knows if its available and what it costs?

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-screenshot_20200306120923.png

Its not right of me to drop thoughts based on running in the bike on just regular roads for a week. I think more sustained usage and a better understanding of the bike and its capabilities will help me present a clearer perspective rather than an opinion on what this bike is or isn't.

For now, if you meet this criteria, this bike is a buy:
1. You mostly always travel solo (without a pillion)
2. You travel light
3. You like a fast, agile, light motorcycle
4. You are happy at speeds of 110-120 cruising with no stress on the engine. 130-140 revs the motor high.
5. You like venturing off the road

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-00100lrportrait_00100_burst20200305173434344_cover.jpg

Last edited by Red Liner : 8th March 2020 at 16:48.
Red Liner is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 13:19   #112
BHPian

Has anyone put in center stand as an accessory? I understand its a light bike but thought of checking of it from chain maintenance and luggage perspective.
Old 9th March 2020, 13:28   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajakt_23 View Post
Has anyone put in center stand as an accessory? I understand its a light bike but thought of checking of it from chain maintenance and luggage perspective.
A center stand has to be designed specifically for this bike. Will take a few months for the international guys to drop one and expect it to be north of 20k inr.

Secondly, atleast from my layman inspection,i couldn't find enough clearance at the traditional mounting points to design a center stand in this one.

Thirdly center stands will reduce gc quite a bit and might also shake and dance as you go offroad.

I wouldn't hold out for one.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 15:56   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Gorgeous trail. And some nice airtime.

Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 19:26   #115
BHPian

Here's some beautiful footage of the 390 Adventure. Enjoy.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 20:02   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Here's some beautiful footage of the 390 Adventure. Enjoy.
What a slap in the faces of the Indian reviewers!
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 01:51   #117
Senior - BHPian

Anyone completed their 1st service? I am going for mine today morning.

Problems faced so far was with the bluetooth. If I have my Sena connected to my phone (I usually lid up in the lift, play music, and walk up to the bike), and once I turn the bike on and the motorcycle system connects to the phone, the Sena music stops playing. Now I can change songs / pause / play from the motorcycle controls, but the music still does not play. It starts working again once I turn Sena off and on again. Anyone facing any such issue?

Will finally try the quickshifter tomorrow after the first service.

Has anyone heard anything about any ECU flash being done? (Just curious).

Meanwhile, the cat seems to like the bike...
The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_6c32d0608ed91.jpeg

Last edited by parrys : 11th March 2020 at 01:54.
parrys is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 03:33   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

There is an ecu update that is going around. Ask for it and get it done. I haven't checked what software build it was though.
Old 11th March 2020, 07:26   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Problems faced so far was with the bluetooth. If I have my Sena connected to my phone (I usually lid up in the lift, play music, and walk up to the bike), and once I turn the bike on and the motorcycle system connects to the phone, the Sena music stops playing. Now I can change songs / pause / play from the motorcycle controls, but the music still does not play. It starts working again once I turn Sena off and on again. Anyone facing any such issue?
I have the exact same problem with the bike and pairing with my Sena headset. My guess is the audio is getting pushed to the bike when it connects. If the bike connects second or as soon as I use the bike controls the audio switches off from headset, but the song seems to keep playing even though there is no sound from the phone or headset.
So now I connect the headset after the bike connects to the phone and use the controls on the headset itself with bike serving only as a display for the song name and incoming caller ID.
Crhysis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 10:38   #120
kph
BHPian

I just got a call from ktm, asking to visit the service center, says that the update is ready. The quick shifter related issue will be fixed, they said. It may take some days before I can visit the service center anyway. Hoping to hear from others who may do the update sooner.
Also please update if someone (who faced issue before) has any luck in fixing vehicle registration issue on the ktm app.
kph is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed