Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2023, 21:57   #1156
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailinder View Post
Now, one request: anything specifically I should check while taking the delivery?
I have discussed a lot on the following Speed 400 thread.
https://www.xbhp.com/talkies/motorcy...pection-thread

Perhaps, this should help you with the better side of nuances.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 17:15   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
https://www.xbhp.com/talkies/motorcy...pection-thread

Perhaps, this should help you with the better side of nuances.

Cheers!
VJ
Thank you, VJ.

Just out of curiosity, are you the one who updated the same on xBHP page?
shailinder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 20:47   #1158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailinder View Post
Thank you, VJ.

Just out of curiosity, are you the one who updated the same on xBHP page?
Yes sir. In the hope that it helps someone, someday. Hope this one-liner doesn't count.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 22:10   #1159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Yes sir. In the hope that it helps someone, someday. Hope this one-liner doesn't count.

Cheers!
VJ
Well, that was informative and helpful while I was taking the delivery of my KTM 390 ADV today.

I will update my selection cum buying experience in a few days. Let me understand the ride better before I pen down my thoughts.
shailinder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 05:27   #1160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malliketh View Post
Updating the suspension would be remedying the biggest chink (of very few it has) in the armor. The pothole ridden roads of Mumbai in the monsoon are taking its toll.
Thanks a lot for this info.
Please help me understand what is a good soft configuration on rear suspension for your weight.
Old 19th September 2023, 00:14   #1161
BHPian

Not sure if this would be the correct thread but is there a chance of a new ADV 390 launching with the new LC4C engine and revised electronic package of the Duke in 2024?
Old 19th September 2023, 01:14   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiLxNcE View Post
Not sure if this would be the correct thread but is there a chance of a new ADV 390 launching with the new LC4C engine and revised electronic package of the Duke in 2024?
Yes definitely but it's expected only in the year 2025.
Details here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...90-enduro.html (Next-gen KTM 390 Adventure spied testing alongside the upcoming 390 Enduro)
Funny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 06:55   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I heard the sales guy say, easiest change he recommend is Alloy + something(Could be wheel hub) will cost you 15k on SW.

Will check again, I will be booking the bike after 25th of this month, once I come back after a vacation. He can delivery bike in 2 days after booking it seems.
I had inquired on purchasing mag wheels for sw but I was quoted 25-30k for both (front and back) mag by suryoday motors in Mumbai (Goregaon and Mira Road) as on 16th Sep 2023, where as cost of sw suspension was 22k front and 5k for the rear.
saurabh_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 10:51   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Awesome. In that case, would it be wise to wait till 2025 to get one? I was planning for early next year but if the next model is dramatically better, I would wait. Also if it comes with just tubed spoke wheels, I would be better off with the current model. 🙃
Old 21st September 2023, 12:48   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiLxNcE View Post
Awesome. In that case, would it be wise to wait till 2025 to get one? I was planning for early next year but if the next model is dramatically better, I would wait. Also if it comes with just tubed spoke wheels, I would be better off with the current model. 🙃
Expecting tubeless spokes at this price range is a bit too much. I don't think they will launch multiple variants of the new Adv in one go, so you might have to wait even longer to get a specific variant if you do not like the standard variant that gets launched first. If you are mostly looking for highway touring with mild off-roading then the current Adv line-up makes sense else you could wait for the new model if you want a proper off-road capable bike.
The 2025 Adv will be a lot better than the current offering since it will be built ground up as a proper Adv bike which would overcome all the shortcomings of the current model like proper long travel suspension, lower seat height, better low end-torque, better riding triangle etc
Funny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 14:59   #1166
BHPian

I just came back from a 2400 km trip to Pangi, Zanskar, and Ladakh on my 390 ADV-X. I did the same route (minus Pangi) last year on my BS4 Himalayan. So I thought I would highlight how the 390 ADV compares to the Himalayan on-road and off-road.

Engine
  • Super tractable and a mile muncher
  • No low-end/stalling issue

No doubt the 390s engine is far superior to the Himalayan. I was apprehensive about the low end torque. Unlike the 390, the Himalayan has loads of low end torque and can get you out of every situation. But I think KTM has changed something in the 2023 models. The infamous no low-end/stalling is nowhere to be found. I could manage to get myself out of every tricky situation. No stalling, nothing. It just needs to be revved slightly. I easily managed getting my 390 ADV-X out of deep sand, mud, water crossings, steep inclines etc.

Suspension & Handling
  • Great handling on smooth roads
  • Not-so-great handling off-road

The Himalayan truly shines when the road disappears. The suspension and that 21" front tyre is a game changer offroad. That thing just glides over whatever is thrown at it. But my 390 ADV-X was never too far behind the two Himalayan's that were in our group. Granted that those two Himalayan boys were expert offroad riders, but I could keep up with them.

My only complaint is that any obstruction like a rock/boulder would completely ruin my intended line. I had to course correct a lot. While the Himalayan would just glide over, the 390 ADV was a piece of work. In fact, the first water crossing I hit while descending Sach Pass, my 390 ADV-X fell over because it just wouldn't glide over the boulders. Perhaps it was because I was crossing this stretch the same way I would on my Himalayan. I didn't face any trouble after this, probably because I understood the 390 ADVs behaviour.

Comfort
  • Better seat than the Himalayan
  • Wider Handlebar

I am 6 feet tall and the Himalayan always felt a little cramped. I was never comfortable on it. The 390 ADV felt super comfortable in comparison. The firm seat and the wide handlebar helps ride all day without any discomfort. I managed to complete Hanle-Manali (470 kms) in 12 hours without any discomfort. In fact, saddling was also better on the 390 ADV.

Fuel Consumption
  • Averages 27-28 kmpl
  • Limited range compared to my Himalayan

Perhaps the biggest irritant was the limited range of the 390 ADV, especially when fuel availability was a major issue. I was carrying 10L extra and twice even that wasn't enough. My Himalayan could easily do 380 kms, compared to my 390 ADV which could do only 320 kms.

Overall, this was an awesome ride. The 390 ADV is a solid motorcyle that'll take you everywhere in comfort and speed. Just don't ride it like the Himalayan (like I did in the initial days) and you'll be fine. And don't worry about the low-end anymore.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-untitled-designmin.png
cataclysm is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 21:23   #1167
Senior - BHPian

Finally after years and years of thinking and planning bought KTM 390 Adv STD, and got the delivery today.

I had earlier booked Triumph Speed 400x and HD 440, after riding Triumph was disappointed with the Size and looks.

And after renting and riding KTM 390 ADV in Ladakh, seeing how RE Himalayans were getting stuck compared to KTM, KTMs were just flying in rugged road, also in our discussions in evening with RE and KTM guys, RE guys were explaining how tiring its to ride Himalayan compared to our KTMs.

Some Ladakh ride video

So looking forward mostly for weekend and long rides and some off-roading in my village.

Thinking to get few accessories to start with and build it later as per necessity
1. Crash Gaurd
2. Side stand extended
3. Aux lights

Would be wonderful if i get some recommendations on these above three.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-ktm.jpg  

Last edited by shamanth : 27th September 2023 at 21:29.
shamanth is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 21:51   #1168

Dear team KTM,
No doubt KTM Adventure 390 is a popular choice among motorbike enthusiasts for its power, agility, and sleek design. And I too was bitten by the adventure bug and got a AdventureX in June. But my joy was short-lived, as I faced 4 breakdowns in the middle of road. Just 3.6k km covered and started facing ECM failure issues already.
1) 1st ECU failure at first service of 500km and two weeks from purchasing the bike. After washing the console started throwing the ECU and ABS failure message. This was rectified temporarily by much hit and trials.

2) Second incident was after a month or so of riding where I got the bike washed from nearby and within 4 kms of run, got the same dreaded message. Called the Service manager from KTM Faridabad from where I purchased the vehicle. He was very prompt and apologetic for the issue on call. Also he reached my home the next morning with Electronic fault detection machine and tried to reset the codes. It did't work this time and he had to take the vehicle to workshop for inspection.

3) Third instance was in the middle of wild between Faridabad-Gurgaon road. Again he was responsive and reached the spot in a couple of hours. Wouldn't blame him for delay as there was a complete network shutdown due to Nuh violence and GPS was not working. He took the bike for a couple of days and returned me after some coupler change.

4) And finally yesterday, while returning home I faced the issue again - at 10:30 PM. Exhausted by the recurring error called the advisor. I parked the vehicle at office which was 4 kms away and came back in a cab.

What is really frustrating is that there is no escalation at KTM. The third time I was following up on my service ticket logged online and each time they refused to raise it to next level. They refused to provide any names of Service guys or team that i can talk to. Was there a response from KTM Central team - "NO". Only the local service center was reachable, and thank got they were responsive.

When they launched the KTM Adv X, I heard it was stripped down version of KTM 390. But they even stripped it of reliability? Big question, only guys at KTM/Bajaj can answer.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-whatsapp-image-20230926-10.20.42-pm.jpeg  

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-whatsapp-image-20230730-5.12.35-pm.jpeg  

avjinder is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 05:09   #1169

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
  • Super tractable and a mile muncher
  • No low-end/stalling issue
Thanks for the crisp review. The improved low-end torque makes me quite excited since that was one of Duke 390's weakest points. I'm hoping they resolved it in the new gen 390, and are working on bringing that engine to the Adventure as well.
swe.desi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 10:26   #1170
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have just purchased a 390 Adv rally as of 25th Sep 2023. My experience is as below:

Deciding a Bike:

My wife was pushing me to go for a scooter as they are more practical. We already have a 2018 Suzuki Access and I have my reasons to not like it. Simply put, a scooter cannot equate to a bike not even a 100 cc bike. Good thing for me was all 125 cc scooters costs 125k otr Mumbai, that too with some waiting and no test drive. This eliminated all scooters.

My last bike was in 2018 and it was red RR310 which I had owned for mere 4-5 months as we migrated abroad. 5 years of no bike had take a toll on my heart.

I started looking at used super bikes but there was no value-for-money deal. Buying new made better sense. I had taken all quotation of Z900 and was about to convince my better half but she read my mind and set up a call with my friend who owns a Tiger 660 and is an avid tourer. The cost of maintenance and his suggestion that big bikes are only good second bike put me off.

Finally to limit my thoughts I was given a budget of 500k.

With this there were only 2 bikes: RE 650s and Ktm 390s.

My requirements:

1. Commuting with 200+ kg weight (pillion + groceries)
2. Comfortable commute with pillion
3. Low cost of repairs
4. Tech laid
5. Ability to answer calls on the go with caller id

Ktm was out of contention as my wife felt it’s a chapri bike.

Of all RE 650s, I felt Interceptor ticks all my boxes.

So Interceptor was booked on 14 Jul 2023 at Palladium Borivali showroom. Test drive was given on old batch abused Interceptor. But I could get a fair idea about the bike. The bike is not nimble in traffic and it requires quite some strength if parked unconventionally.

I was given a waiting time of 45-60 days. And this is where I was really disappointed.

The RE app said delivery by mid-October and showroom said don’t worry. But it seems all RE showrooms were saying the same thing. Palladium showroom guys were saying if you pay 20k and book, the bike will come in 20 days but you can’t cancel the booking.Which wasn’t true.

15 Sep 2023: more than 60 days have gone by and the app says delivery by last week of Dec 2023. And the showroom folks claimed it will come by early Oct 2023. As I was buying the bike on cash it was even more frustrating. And the decision was made to cancel the booking.

Buying a Ktm:

390 adv was readily available across all Mumbai showrooms. Ihad a word with Ktm Suryoday, both Mira road and Goregaon.

Mira road show room gave me lot of inside info like fully adjustable forks and mono shock can be installed on Adventure X for little under 30k. But only 3k discount was offered on standard variant and they did not have the low seat variant.

Clicked some picks with me seating on the bike and sent them to my wife to suggest. She said I will join you to the showroom next time.

I am in between 5.7 and 5.8 tall and I weigh 100 kgs with 25% body fat. I tip toe on 390 Adv as my thighs are broad.

On 19 Sep 2023, me and my wife visited Ktm Goregaon. They had a low seat 390 Adv V. I tried the low seat bike, despite the seat being low the preload is maxed out so the bike does not sink after I sit. there by the effective reach of my legs remains same as std bike. Yes but the rear seat is far more accessible.

After lot of debate in the showroom my wife said go for it we can manage few things later. Ktm Goregaon offered the best of discount 6k on 390 Adv Std. I immediately GPay'd (100k) 50k me and 50k wife (gift ). Next day I transferred remaining 300k and I was given a delivery date of 27 Sep 2023.

Here I saw some videos of 390 SW and was really impressed with the soft ride quality. Initially I was worried of puncture but I wondered what’s the use of RSA The decision was made to purchase the SW variant.

I have been infamously using RSA to tow our punctured car or change a spare tyre.

I called Ktm Goregaon to see if I can change the bike and the obliged. Discount of 6k was rolled over. Otr cost of 390 Adv SW: 4,25,400/- with 1 year free RSA, 1 year Zero Dep insurance, helmet, bike cover.

Bike delivered on 25sep 2023.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_7473.jpeg

Last edited by libranof1987 : 1st October 2023 at 10:42. Reason: Congrats on the bike! Two smileys/post, kindly capitalise proper nouns.
saurabh_v8 is offline   (8) Thanks Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks