Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2023, 14:40   #1081
BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal.joshi View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the clan.
Since you are coming from INT 650, you might take some time to get adjusted to the erratic KTM motor which is fun to revv
Thank you!

I agree. It's fun to revv and very erratic in the lower end.
Old 26th July 2023, 16:55   #1082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulbhosle View Post
Good that you brought up the mirrors. Any aftermarket suggestions since the stock ones are obviously a joke?
The whole idea is to have the view in your peripheral vision, which, unfortunately, the stock mirrors don't.

Unsure how people are happy paying 14K+ for mirrors :O. The double-take mirrors promoted by YouTubers are overkill for me. Instead, I plan to try these 180-degree mirrors and add those cheap blind spot mirrors where the biceps appear.

The only gripe is that the stock GPS mount will be unusable if I install this on the stock visor. But I will figure it out.
Old 27th July 2023, 00:06   #1083
BHPian

Quote:
Good that you brought up the mirrors. Any aftermarket suggestions since the stock ones are obviously a joke?
I used to use mirror risers that were made by the folks at Biking Spirit in Bangalore. They were extremely useful and provided a much better field of view. Similar designs are available on Amazon, but seem to be quite expensive.

ADV Tribe Mirror Extenders
Here’s a link to an offering available in the Indian market. Don’t know about the durability or increase/decrease in vibrations, but seems to be useful in pushing the mirrors out wide and higher.
Old 27th July 2023, 01:34   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushalswarup View Post
I used to use mirror risers that were made by the folks at Biking Spirit in Bangalore. They were extremely useful and provided a much better field of view. Similar designs are available on Amazon, but seem to be quite expensive.

ADV Tribe Mirror Extenders
Here’s a link to an offering available in the Indian market. Don’t know about the durability or increase/decrease in vibrations, but seems to be useful in pushing the mirrors out wide and higher.
What I feel is the mirrors are too small and inadequately sized and not that they are lower or anything.
Old 27th July 2023, 09:50   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
What I feel is the mirrors are too small and inadequately sized and not that they are lower or anything.
I know of quite a few adv owners who’ve got the mirrors from the husqverna twins. The round shape might give better coverage, as per what a few owners have mentioned. These, in conjunction with blindspot mirrors, would help, I presume.
kaushalswarup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 11:23   #1086
BHPian

I had a near collision and a fall today on the highway when a transport bus decides to stop at the bus stop way out on the road, thus having a cascading effect on the cars trying to come around it. The car in front of me applied urgent brakes, and although I wasn't going too fast(~50ish), I had almost made up my mind that I was going to ram into the car ahead of me. More than me and my pillion getting hurt, I felt sad at moment as the bike isn't even a week old. But, I have no idea how, the combination of softer suspension setting, lower weight, amazing tyres and those heavenly brakes and ABS stopped the bike a couple of inches away from the car. And all this on a very wet road. Had I been on the Interceptor, I might have kissed the road for sure. This actually made me think of going back on the sintered pads instead of the Vesrah that I currently have on the interceptor.

I can now vouch for the brakes, ABS and the Metz tyres with my life.
rahulbhosle is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 02:17   #1087
BHPian

Adjustable forks now available

Visited The service centre today and got to know that the SW's front adjustable forks will now be made available for all. Costs around 22000 (exact costs will be disclosed when I make up my mind). The supervisor was quite funny. 'If you pay we will get you everything' is what he said
virajvroom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 09:48   #1088
Senior - BHPian

I'm happy with the stock ones. What's the problem you're facing? I have fixed it well at the desired point using Loctite thread lock (Removable, using higher torque wrench). BTW I'm planning to add adjustable forks as soon as they have stock
Quote:

Last edited by Sebring : 30th July 2023 at 09:49.
Old 30th July 2023, 10:28   #1089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virajvroom View Post
Adjustable forks now available

Visited The service centre today and got to know that the SW's front adjustable forks will now be made available for all. Costs around 22000 (exact costs will be disclosed when I make up my mind). The supervisor was quite funny. 'If you pay we will get you everything' is what he said
What about the rear adjustable suspension? How much does that cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I'm happy with the stock ones. What's the problem you're facing? I have fixed it well at the desired point using Loctite thread lock (Removable, using higher torque wrench). BTW I'm planning to add adjustable forks as soon as they have stock
The stock mirrors are too small in size. I am used to the round mirrors on the Interceptor and I had the Avenger ones on my Classic 500 before it. So, the stock ones on the 390 seem quite inadequate in comparison.
rahulbhosle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 12:07   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
On a side note, switched over to the Windscreen from Inscape Dreamz (https://inscapedreamz.in/). It's a way better product than one from Carbon Racing in my opinion. It does not rattle, weighs lot less as compared to the CR contraption.
Are you still using this windshield? Would you recommend it? I think the best part is that it doesn't need additional mounting accessories.

Quote:
How old is your motorcycle now? One thing that I observed is that the vibes are more pronounced till the 3rd gear and maybe till 4k rpm. Post 4k, they mellow down to some extent, but do not disappear. So, in higher gears, it is less vibey.
Done 800+ kms, will be at 900+ by tomorrow and will get it serviced in the next few days. My bike is almost a month old now. The vibes have certainly reduced from the first week and I have noticed that accelerating from (relatively) lower rpms in higher gears introduces vibes. So, if I am at 75-80 kmph and start accelerating while in 6th, it vibrates.

Quote:
I had a nice ~45 odd kms ride today, which included some commuting to and from work.
Few observations:
1. Quickshifter works well above 4k rpm, but only for upshifts. Downshifts are a hit and miss.
So far, my bike has never failed to change gears when I used QS+ (above 4000 rpms) so it has never missed as such. In fact, downshifts have been utterly flawless (even at 2500-3000 rpms) and smoother than upshifts, overall. While downshifting, I ensure the throttle is rolled off slightly when slowing down or fully if I am coming to a stop.

Last edited by siddhant : 30th July 2023 at 12:09.
Old 30th July 2023, 20:09   #1091
BHPian

An update @ 75K

And my Feb'20 ADV 390 crosses the 75K mark. The going has been good so far with zero issues in either the engine OR the transmission department.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-odo75k.jpg

Have done a couple of additions since my last update:

* Fitted the FuelX lite (https://powertronicecu.com/product/f...390-2020-2021/) that has certainly improved the low end tractability of the engine. The bike also seems to be running a bit cooler based on the radiator fan's ON/OFF cycle.

* Also got the chain oiler from Rolon (https://www.rolonpremium.co.in/produ...d=CHAIN_OILER/). It's a purely mechanical device with no fancy electronics involved. It's been working very well & I hope it remains that way. Here are some snaps of the installation:

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-chainoiler1.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-chainoiler2.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-chainoiler3.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-chainoiler4.jpg

Last edited by rb2399 : 30th July 2023 at 20:15. Reason: fixed the link
rb2399 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 22:09   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And my Feb'20 ADV 390 crosses the 75K mark. The going has been good so far with zero issues in either the engine OR the transmission department.
Your timing couldn't be any perfect. Off the bat, pat on the back for crossing 75k with perseverance that most are sans with. Interestingly, was browsing about this oiler only a week or so back, but didn't go ahead as there weren't any reviews per se. Now that, it's out of stock, guess they only made one, and that's purchased by you I presume, would love to get a full on review on this and the nitties associated with its working and channeling. P L E A S E!

Best wishes for you crossing the 100k soon. Also would love to get your servicing schedule and the parameters that you've stuck to, that's made your vehicle stand out without much issues.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 23:44   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
Done 800+ kms, will be at 900+ by tomorrow and will get it serviced in the next few days. My bike is almost a month old now. The vibes have certainly reduced from the first week and I have noticed that accelerating from (relatively) lower rpms in higher gears introduces vibes. So, if I am at 75-80 kmph and start accelerating while in 6th, it vibrates.

So far, my bike has never failed to change gears when I used QS+ (above 4000 rpms) so it has never missed as such. In fact, downshifts have been utterly flawless (even at 2500-3000 rpms) and smoother than upshifts, overall. While downshifting, I ensure the throttle is rolled off slightly when slowing down or fully if I am coming to a stop.
Yup, as I mentioned in my previous post, the bike doesn't like to be in a higher gear and lower revs. The whole front cockpit shakes like anything

Downshifts with the Quickshifter for me are very hard, as if the gear lever doesn't wanna budge and then it suddenly gives up and downshifts. Does it have anything with your clutch freeplay? Could be a stupid question but just asking.

Quote:
Bravo, man! Your post and experience really instills some confidence in me for this machine and makes me feel good about my purchase.
rahulbhosle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 10:27   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
would love to get a full on review on this and the nitties associated with its working and channeling. P L E A S E!
This is a first fitment of the oiler on an ADV 390 per Rolon guys (they told me that they've it working on other bikes), so it took some time for Ram (from Kunal's workshop) & myself to figure out the installation.

The unit comprises of:
* Main Oil Reservoir that holds the chain lube (typically EP90 type) and has a pumping mechanism driven via a button that one can push using your thumb. This button has a locking screw which can be used to restrict motion.
* A dispenser that you need to attach to the bike's frame. This is supposed to be ~ 5-6 mm above the chain.
*Flexible tube that connects the reservoir with the dispenser. The routing is bike specific.

As per the manual, you're supposed to pump for ~ 15-20 times with speeds below 40 KMPH for the entire chain to get lubed. The good thing with the dispenser is that it lubes the chain uniformly.

This unit can also be used for cleaning the chain just by replacing the chain lube with appropriate cleaner in the reservoir.

I've done maybe close to 1000 KMs using this device and everything is still in place & working

It's a very simple mechanism and I think it'll be trouble free to operate going ahead.
Let me know if you need any additional information

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Also would love to get your servicing schedule and the parameters that you've stuck to, that's made your vehicle stand out without much issues.
I've been very particular about the Oil Change Intervals (~6,000 KMs) irrespective of the brand and I also make it a point to clean/replace the air filter every 4,000 odd KMs. Apart from this, I've followed the regular servicing schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
Are you still using this windshield? Would you recommend it? I think the best part is that it doesn't need additional mounting accessories.
Yes, and it's been working very well till date.
rb2399 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 21:55   #1095
BHPian

Re: An update @ 75K

Quote:
And my Feb'20 ADV 390 crosses the 75K mark. The going has been good so far, with zero issues in either the engine OR the transmission department.

* Fitted the FuelX lite (https://powertronicecu.com/product/f...390-2020-2021/) that has certainly improved the low-end tractability of the engine. The bike also seems to be running a bit cooler based on the radiator fan's ON/OFF cycle.
Superb details. I would like to know more about your experience with the FuelX Lite, especially in resolving the low-end torque issue. The constant shifting to second and first at every hump is very annoying.
virajvroom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks