Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2021, 20:24   #781
BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
I have the first lot KTM 390 ADV, delivered in February 2020. Ever since, I have never felt the need for aux lights.

I have ridden the bike for over 13,000 kms now, still happy with the stock setup.

Went to Goa, crossed Amboli ghat before sunrise, and I found them to be adequate. Went to Lonavala quite a few times, up to Aamby Valley, no problems.
What cruising speed can you maintain after dark using your stock setup?
Old 10th December 2021, 22:52   #782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo18 View Post
Anyways, one of the first things that I did with the Adv 390 was to put a yellow guard from Adventure conquest, since I got a chip on the lights from one of my highway rides. Since the headlight is an expensive replacement
on the adv, I thought the protection was necessary. But, what this has done is reduce the throw considerably. Either I should remove the thick glass/fiber headlight guard and find an alternative for headlamp protection or go for an aux light.
Yeah, I guess the extra element reduces road illumination for you.
I am not against aux lights, just haven't felt the need so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmV View Post
Honestly I have only ridden about 50 kms with the stock lights of the 390ADV so dont even recall if they felt inadequate. I guess its a matter of comfort / peace of mind with more illumination.
Since we are in the same city, you can have my bike anytime and check out the brightness!
Yeah, if it is stuck in your head, then always get what you want.
When riding through Amboli ghat before sunrise, when I felt the need, I would flash high-beam and get better illumination.

Thanks for the offer, I hope you're open to riding it out at night then?
A bunch of 390 ADVs to Lonavala on a winter evening / night sounds good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
What cruising speed can you maintain after dark using your stock setup?
I never thought I'd have to answer a question like this, but I am not slow, that is for sure.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 23:10   #783
BHPian

Quote:
I never thought I'd have to answer a question like this, but I am not slow, that is for sure.
Maybe you're reading too much into it. I just wanted to compare the quality of 390 ADV stock lights with my 2018 CBR 250R stock LED lights.

For ex, on my stock setup, I could comfortably ride only at 60-65 km/hr in dark on highways, especially two-lane state highways without appropriate markings.

After setting up Maddog Scout X lights, my confidence greatly increased. I can now hold 80-90 km/hr quite easily on two lane state highways and possibly even more on four lane highways.
siddhant is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 10:04   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Derek, please post photographs of the Denali’s on your bike, switches and the light spread (high/low) as and when possible. First time I am hearing about the data dim module, just checked it out, nifty thing.

Thank you.

Cheers
Hi, the the switch has a low/off/hi toggle on it. The pics will be self explanatory. Three pics. One only stock headlight, the other two with dim and hi position.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-1image.jpg  

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20211211_084823.jpg  

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20211211_0848342.jpg  

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20211211_084814.jpg  

derek is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 13:01   #785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Hi, the the switch has a low/off/hi toggle on it. The pics will be self explanatory. Three pics. One only stock headlight, the other two with dim and hi position.
Thank you Derek.

The Denali’s are brilliant, especially in the hi position. Please post one more frontal picture of your bike to see the light placement.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 17:09   #786
OmV
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the offer, I hope you're open to riding it out at night then?
A bunch of 390 ADVs to Lonavala on a winter evening / night sounds good to me.
Sounds good to me. Maybe other ADVs from Mumbai region can join us and interested Pune folks can meet at Lonavala!.
Do PM me if you have some time in the coming weeks.

Last edited by Sheel : 11th December 2021 at 18:07. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
OmV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 10:24   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Derek.

The Denali’s are brilliant, especially in the hi position. Please post one more frontal picture of your bike to see the light placement.

Cheers
Here you go mate. They are fixed on a Zana crash guard. Didn't want to fix it near the or under the headlight because I believe it causes some rattling there.

This way, since it's much below the headlight level, avoids blinding oncoming traffic too. The lights can be adjusted up, down, left right to get your preferred beam.

MOD NOTE : Chat and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. You have been warned & corrected enough, next instance would bring mod action on your account.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20211212_095236.jpg  

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20211212_0952262.jpg  

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20211212_0953082.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 29th December 2021 at 08:41. Reason: MOD NOTE ATTACHED.
derek is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 15:16   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Derek, don’t know anyone who may have done this, however Bikegear.in has something for the RC 390. You may want to check with them for a possible solution. The big black ugly box may be the canister for the BS6 update, perhaps experts could chip in with an explanation. Do update on any progress.
So I checked with them. They don't have it for the adv 390. They have a full system leovince header pipe that costs around 30k with them, plus another 40k ish for the end can.
derek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 10:58   #789
BHPian

Some help please. Does Bluetooth connect with your bikes?I can't seem to connect it with my phone at all. Just never works!
Old 17th December 2021, 17:19   #790
BHPian

And she crosses the 48K mark

Had an amazing ride to Uttarakhand (Kumaon region in particular) during the last week covering ~ 4,000 KMs in total.

The bike till date has served me well with nothing major to report as such. Speaks volumes about this engine's reliability if maintained properly !

On a side note, switched over to the Windscreen from Inscape Dreamz (https://inscapedreamz.in/). It's a way better product than one from Carbon Racing in my opinion. It does not rattle, weighs lot less as compared to the CR contraption.

Here are few snaps.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20211213_123836.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20211213_120440pano.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20211213_115952.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20211213_114818_2.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20211213_100945_2.jpg
rb2399 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 21:03   #791
BHPian

There is a new update on the ECU I guess few guys have been called by the service centre. Can anyone confirm this please?
Old 30th December 2021, 23:33   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
There is a new update on the ECU I guess few guys have been called by the service centre. Can anyone confirm this please?
Derek, I visited the showroom last week, and there were quite a few ADVs parked. I didn't care to ask why, now your posts prompts perhaps there is an update or an update for the ones who missed the update, perhaps

My advice, visit the showroom where you purchased the vehicle, and they should be able to clear the doubts.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 31st December 2021, 15:05   #793
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Derek, I visited the showroom last week, and there were quite a few ADVs parked. I didn't care to ask why, now your posts prompts perhaps there is an update or an update for the ones who missed the update, perhaps

My advice, visit the showroom where you purchased the vehicle, and they should be able to clear the doubts.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
My sincere advice to all KTM riders, be they Dukes or ADVs or RCs, please stay away from all such ECU "updates" and flashes and stick to what the original ECU setting.

In my experience, the original has Austrian pedigree behind it.

And all the later flashes are Bajaj and the swarm of hyper experienced riders we have here speaking into their ears with "gremlins" and "cataclysmic issues" ...

Happy New Year Vijay and friends. Hope 2022 is a LOT better than what 2020 and 2021 were.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 20:08   #794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
My sincere advice to all KTM riders, be they Dukes or ADVs or RCs, please stay away from all such ECU "updates" and flashes and stick to what the original ECU setting.

In my experience, the original has Austrian pedigree behind it.

And all the later flashes are Bajaj and the swarm of hyper experienced riders we have here speaking into their ears with "gremlins" and "cataclysmic issues" ...

Happy New Year Vijay and friends. Hope 2022 is a LOT better than what 2020 and 2021 were.

Cheers, Doc
Doc, I would beg to differ here. ECM updates aren't dished out to make matters worse, in fact it's the exact opposite. What you mentioned would perfectly be apt for the good ol' pre 2015, so called "raw" Dukes. They were proper mental bikes -- still are, extremely temperamental and arrogantly snatchy. These bikes were the bikes that deserved the ECM update, which unfortunately, they never got one. We were given to live with it, it had its own funs and buns.

Fast forward to new gen lots, ECM updates have made them tamer, more liveable and able to extract more of the fun, albeit in a mellowed way and that's not bad at all. The ECM updates are more for clearing bugs associated with the TFT and with the electronics especially with TCS and QS and related software which are plaguing the second gen Dukes/ADV. But, it's mostly being sorted.

There's absolutely nothing Austrian about the maps doc, the half-baked snatchy ones that are doing duty on the older lots. Bajaj progressively worked on the maps, which has helped the Dukes contain their running temperature, smoothen the snatchy throttle response and improving the power and torque spread and you'd feel the difference riding the old and new back to back, all based on user inputs which is a good thing.

Remember, most of these updates are based on user requests, servicing feedback and what not. Look at what Bajaj has done with the Dominar, they've literally equipped the bike touring ready right from factory. All these are possible when a company listens and proactively irons out kinks, and who better than Bajaj.

Happy New Year to you and family doc, and extended TBHP family..

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 31st December 2021 at 20:09.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 22:20   #795
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Doc, I would beg to differ here. ECM updates aren't dished out to make matters worse, in fact it's the exact opposite. What you mentioned would perfectly be apt for the good ol' pre 2015, so called "raw" Dukes. They were proper mental bikes -- still are, extremely temperamental and arrogantly snatchy. These bikes were the bikes that deserved the ECM update, which unfortunately, they never got one. We were given to live with it, it had its own funs and buns.

Fast forward to new gen lots, ECM updates have made them tamer, more liveable and able to extract more of the fun, albeit in a mellowed way and that's not bad at all. The ECM updates are more for clearing bugs associated with the TFT and with the electronics especially with TCS and QS and related software which are plaguing the second gen Dukes/ADV. But, it's mostly being sorted.

There's absolutely nothing Austrian about the maps doc, the half-baked snatchy ones that are doing duty on the older lots. Bajaj progressively worked on the maps, which has helped the Dukes contain their running temperature, smoothen the snatchy throttle response and improving the power and torque spread and you'd feel the difference riding the old and new back to back, all based on user inputs which is a good thing.

Remember, most of these updates are based on user requests, servicing feedback and what not. Look at what Bajaj has done with the Dominar, they've literally equipped the bike touring ready right from factory. All these are possible when a company listens and proactively irons out kinks, and who better than Bajaj.

Happy New Year to you and family doc, and extended TBHP family..

Cheers!
VJ
I'm telling you my experience till 2016.

If things have changed since then great, but i seriously doubt it.

In the interim I've ridden the new Duke as well as the Adventure. I found nothing of my 200 and 390 in either of them.

Tame is not a characteristic sought after by KTM riders worldwide.

It's different here. And Bajaj calls the shot on dishing out what sells here. Which is what I meant by their updates and flashes. Each of them used to neuter the bikes incrementally.

Like chemical castration. I actually in the earlier days got them to replace my ECU because they were unable to revert to the original map.

There is a night and day difference.

And that was the Austrian pedigree. Diluted here as every subsequent generation became heavier and more 4 strokish. Tamer. Smoother. User friendly.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 31st December 2021 at 22:32.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed