Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2021, 14:24   #766
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Has anyone done a CAT delete on their bikes? If so, can someone please give me some details. Also, what exactly is that big black ugly box and what does it do sitting in the mid pipe section before the end can? Thanks!
Hi Derek, don’t know anyone who may have done this, however Bikegear.in has something for the RC 390. You may want to check with them for a possible solution. The big black ugly box may be the canister for the BS6 update, perhaps experts could chip in with an explanation. Do update on any progress.

https://bikegear.in/competition-werk...d-online-india

Come on guys, I am sure there must be many on our forum who can help out, please do, this thread has become too lazy of late. Kindly liven things up

It’s a very dull and rainy day in Mumbai today.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 20:07   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone done a CAT delete on their bikes? If so, can someone please give me some details. Also, what exactly is that big black ugly box and what does it do sitting in the mid pipe section before the end can? Thanks!
Derek, basically a cat con, in layman terms as I understand it, is basically a smoke detector of sorts. This ugly box contains precious metals in a honeycomb pattern which reacts with the byproducts of combustion. As the name suggests it selectively reacts (catalyzes) with harmful combustion byproducts from the exhaust and turns them into non-harmful water and CO2. So that ugly box is present so that our atmosphere and "Tree Huggers" are happy and don't turn ugly. I definitely am all in for the former.

The muffler or the end can selectively routes the remaining exhaust pulses into cul de sac passageways so that the "Acoustic Evangelists" are happy.

Now, coming to cat con delete, it's purely a personal opinion, there are lots of de-cat pipes available online, they do help de-congest the exhaust pulses to an extent helps the engine breather freely which equates to a slightly better mid range and you gain a wee bit power (feel) in the top end, but that's pretty much it. It can upset the backpressure which a manufacturer calibrates with the cat con and stock muffler in place. So, you can be your own judge.

I am no expert, but I hope I have simplified it for you.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 23:41   #768
Senior - BHPian

I was just doing an idle search for 2022 KTM 390 Adventure on Google and guess what I found. Colours, alloy wheels, tank spoiler and tail side panels seem an obvious update, don’t know what else.

International site is updated.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-4e6b647345ec46718a454ee10513d88f.jpeg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-d3b8785f2303499b8558ac9f3610fb7f.jpeg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-f17c53482806487eb932ad1839e916d3.png

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-cb70c5c8d88e4d72a670297d788df7ab.jpeg

Indian site has not been completely updated yet.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-f334f30a626d497cb6ffb18658da9597.png

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-3b0a8488015b48d2bfb6f884bc18d315.jpeg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-60a361fff4fb4bad8110aeea34e8ba9a.jpeg

Looks like we may be getting the updated 2022 KTM 390 Adventure soon, maybe even shown at the India Bike Week this weekend (4-5 December)

More information is welcome

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 1st December 2021 at 23:43.
Cyborg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 00:20   #769
Senior - BHPian

More information on updates as they trickle in. The updated model will have rider modes as well now, namely, Street and Off-Road mode.

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news...rcycle-lineup/

Scroll down the article for the 390 Adventure section. Wonder when we will be able to buy one in India, hope it’s soon.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 2nd December 2021 at 00:25.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 14:27   #770
BHPian

I guess that makes the decision to wait for the newer model much simpler. I think it will hit the India showrooms by February/March 2022.

Last edited by thumpmeister : 2nd December 2021 at 14:28. Reason: year was missing
Old 3rd December 2021, 17:32   #771
OmV
BHPian

Hey Folks,

I feel very uncomfortable with the (lack of) light/visibility when I ride early in the morning or at night on rare occasions. It's even worse at dusk with the light just fading. White LED headlights just don't cut it for me and I had a very hard time with my former Ninja650. I have even felt the need but so far avoided using Aux Lights in the city at night.

On the 390ADV, I have 2 sets of Aux Lights - GR40X and Maddog Alpha. (Don't ask why!)
I was wondering if I will run the risk of pumping the battery dry running both together for extended periods of time. So far in the short period I have had the bike, the voltage has not dropped even with running both together for an hour. I only use both sets for very early morning travel. I am yet to try the yellow filters that came with the lights and I also want to try getting yellow tint to the headlight itself.
I understand this may raise a few eyebrows w.r.t. the lights being too bright, but only I know how unnerving it is for me!

TIA.
OmV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 08:28   #772
BHPian

One of the reasons I got a pair of Denali and spent much more on aux lights than the regular GR and maddog was that I had control over the brightness so as to not blind incoming traffic. Good aux lights don’t consume much battery at all and you can ride all day without a sweat. Don’t worry at all.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th December 2021 at 11:14. Reason: u = you, no SMS or slang language please. Thanks.
derek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 08:57   #773
OmV
BHPian

Quote:
One of the reasons I got a pair of Denali and spent much more on aux lights than the regular GR and maddog was that I had control over the brightness so as to not blind incoming traffic. Good aux lights don’t consume much battery at all and u can ride all day without a sweat. Don’t worry at all.
Hey Derek- Denali are great lights no doubt.
I am not sure quality and power consumption are correlated as much. GR has been a popular player even in the AliExpress days. Maddog also has good reviews so I am not concerned on the build/chip quality. I am purely concerned about how much power these lights are drawing when run together. For now I will just keep an eye on the voltage readouts.

Edit: GR40X do have a regulator switch to control brightness.
Old 5th December 2021, 13:54   #774
BHPian

Wonder if the newer software on the 2022 models (traction control for street and Off road) will be made available to current 390 adv models. Also if the newer models come with adjustable suspension to the India market, can that be retrofitted to the current models?

Will be a bummer if the current owners don't get access to the newer TC software on the 2022 models.

Quote:
One of the reasons I got a pair of Denali and spent much more on aux lights than the regular GR and maddog was that I had control over the brightness so as to not blind incoming traffic. Good aux lights don’t consume much battery at all and you can ride all day without a sweat. Don’t worry at all.
One of the few gripes on the 390 ADV are the lights and am planning to put a pair of AUX lights. Being a noob in this department, can you please explain why you went for Denali ? Approximate cost and where to source it from?

Last edited by Aditya : 5th December 2021 at 18:34. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Neo18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 18:16   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo18 View Post
Wonder if the newer software on the 2022 models (traction control for street and Off road) will be made available to current 390 adv models. Also if the newer models come with adjustable suspension to the India market, can that be retrofitted to the current models?
It would be possible (I guess) for KTM to give the new Street and Off-road software update to the older models, but they probably won’t do it to differentiate between them. Want the new modes, buy the new model

As per reports so far, besides the colour, alloy wheels and riding modes there is no change to any other components.

If the adjustable suspension is offered (front and rear) it would raise the price to levels KTM may not want to go to, good addition but unlikely in my opinion. If there is a choice, I would prefer the adjustable suspension to the quick shifter any day.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 5th December 2021 at 18:35.
Cyborg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 09:09   #776
BHPian

Quote:

One of the few gripes on the 390 ADV are the lights and am planning to put a pair of AUX lights. Being a noob in this department, can you please explain why you went for Denali ? Approximate cost and where to source it from?
I got them from bigbadbikes. The lights were about 22k and I got the hi/lo switch and the data dim module which was another about 7-8k.

I’m a firm believer in buying the best I can afford hence I try and avoid local brands that are cheaper. Fit and quality is top notch. Gold runway are pretty good too for about half the price. Used them before I got the Denali. And can recommend them definitely.
derek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 23:23   #777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got them from bigbadbikes. The lights were about 22k and I got the hi/lo switch and the data dim module which was another about 7-8k. I’m a firm believer in buying the best I can afford hence I try and avoid local brands that are cheaper. Fit and quality is top notch.
Derek, please post photographs of the Denali’s on your bike, switches and the light spread (high/low) as and when possible. First time I am hearing about the data dim module, just checked it out, nifty thing.

Thank you.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 7th December 2021 at 23:24.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 02:12   #778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have the first lot KTM 390 ADV, delivered in February 2020. Ever since, I have never felt the need for aux lights.

I have ridden the bike for over 13,000 kms now, still happy with the stock setup.

Went to Goa, crossed Amboli ghat before sunrise, and I found them to be adequate. Went to Lonavala quite a few times, up to Aamby Valley, no problems.

Is it an ADV thing to get aux lights to COMPLETE the BIKE?

What bike did you ride before this? Did you feel the need for aux lights on them too?
I know the aux lights can help better illuminate the road, but it is just personal preference I guess.

Or may be, I should ride a bike with these aux lights once, and check if it results in a more relaxed ride.

Last edited by parrys : 9th December 2021 at 02:17.
parrys is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 13:01   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
I have the first lot KTM 390 ADV, delivered in February 2020. Ever since, I have never felt the need for aux lights.

I have ridden the bike for over 13,000 kms now, still happy with the stock setup.

Went to Goa, crossed Amboli ghat before sunrise, and I found them to be adequate. Went to Lonavala quite a few times, up to Aamby Valley, no problems.

Is it an ADV thing to get aux lights to COMPLETE the BIKE?

What bike did you ride before this? Did you feel the need for aux lights on them too?
I know the aux lights can help better illuminate the road, but it is just personal preference I guess.

Or may be, I should ride a bike with these aux lights once, and check if it results in a more relaxed ride.
Hello parrys.

My previous ride was a Z800. Halogen setup and very poor throw. Was always window shopping for a projector setup but was always in a quandary between spending big bucks on a genuine setup or cheap out with some Aliexpress order.

Anyways, one of the first things that I did with the Adv 390 was to put a yellow guard from Adventure conquest, since I got a chip on the lights from one of my highway rides. Since the headlight is an expensive replacement
on the adv, I thought the protection was necessary. But, what this has done is reduce the throw considerably. Either I should remove the thick glass/fiber headlight guard and find an alternative for headlamp protection or go for an aux light.
Neo18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 19:45   #780
OmV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post

Some folks have night vision . On a serious note - I struggle to the point of breaking into a sweat at times when riding in the dark with low visibility. My former 2018 N650 had pathetic headlights and I have gone over a part rotten sheep carcass at legal speeds at one time and it was sheer luck that I managed to recover control.
Honestly I have only ridden about 50 kms with the stock lights of the 390ADV so dont even recall if they felt inadequate. I guess its a matter of comfort / peace of mind with more illumination.
Since we are in the same city, you can have my bike anytime and check out the brightness!
OmV is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed