Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2020, 11:04   #301
BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Not sure what really happened and I do not own a D390. Thought this would be the most relevant thread to post the news in.

A Duke390's engine case broke and fell down on a ride which happens to be due to cracks caused by excessive heat. No official statement from KTM yet.

https://www.drivespark.com/two-wheel...eo-032089.html
Old 8th August 2020, 12:33   #302
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijai View Post
Not sure what really happened and I do not own a D390. Thought this would be the most relevant thread to post the news in.

A Duke390's engine case broke and fell down on a ride which happens to be due to cracks caused by excessive heat. No official statement from KTM yet.

https://www.drivespark.com/two-wheel...eo-032089.html
Nothing new here, this is an inherent issue with the 390 Motor.

Modern motorcycles have an interference counter-balancer meaning the balancer weight rotates in between the weights of the crank shaft, here's a picture from Ari Henning's rebuild video to give you an idea;

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-balancer2.jpg

The engine above is of a Honda CBR250R's which has a similar interference design, in its case the counter balancer shaft snapped and the weight got free and hit the big end of the crankshaft resulting in the catastrophic failure and the case cracking.

In the case of the KTM 390's, what happens is that the counter balancer weight is held in place by a key worth about Rs.5/-, though cheap this key shown below is responsible for locking the balancer weight to the balancer wheel.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-counerbalancer.jpg

Meaning when the key fails the weight is free to rotate without respect to the crakshaft and thus hits the big end of the crankshaft, and this happens when both the balancer weight and crankshaft are both rotating at thousands of RPM.

In short, it is poetry in motion, the balancer weight and crankshaft meet at opposing speeds and the result being the aluminum crankcase shatters like glass.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-untitled.jpg

The above pic from the same incident you've shared, I had a better picture shared by a fellow enthusiast who used to work for KTM but I can't find it.

This is a common issue with the 390 motors as it isn't common with the rest of the Duke line-up, even the 250 which shares most of the premium internals of the 390. The earlier generation SOHC Dominar's weren't prone as I do not recall of any shared experiences but the new DOHC Dominar's do have a few reported cases, like the below;

All things considered, the key failing is not such a big deal as we've seen this happen on the Himalayan as well, though it was the Magneto's key that failed which rendered the motorcycle unrideable but easily fixable as seen in the video below;

Tough luck for the 390 enthusiasts since the key is in effect responsible for preventing the motor from going ballistic.

Ride Safe.
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 8th August 2020 at 12:39.
ashwinprakas is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 14:16   #303
BHPian

Quote:
People will now understand why 5 year warranty from KTM is a blessing even if it costs 10k (double of it's current cost). I hope his bike is under warranty and if it is not, KTM should cover it under goodwill. His repair bill is going to run in thousands. If I am not wrong, similar case was reported in forum long back (or may be Xbhp).
Old 8th August 2020, 20:10   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

I can't wait for the weekend to begin!

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200802_10281601.jpeg
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 22:29   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I can't wait for the weekend to begin!
Wow. Everytime you post pics on this thread I turn green with envy. Was this a solo ride?
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 23:15   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Tough luck for the 390 enthusiasts since the key is in effect responsible for preventing the motor from going ballistic.

Ride Safe.
A.P.
Couldn't believe just a pin worth ₹5 is holding the engine is a way to catastrophe. I wonder why manufacturers don't provide a better foolproof design or at least a fail-safe? Its rare to happen but when it does it's terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
People will now understand why 5 year warranty from KTM is a blessing even if it costs 10k (double of it's current cost). I hope his bike is under warranty and if it is not, KTM should cover it under goodwill. His repair bill is going to run in thousands.
I guess, it is. Vaahan says the bike is 1year and 2 months old. Pretty short for such a massive engine failure in my opinion.
vijai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 04:23   #307
BANNED

Quote:
Couldn't believe just a pin worth ₹5 is holding the engine is a way to catastrophe. I wonder why manufacturers don't provide a better foolproof design or at least a fail-safe? Its rare to happen but when it does it's terrible.
Life is a Bell Curve.

High strung performance does come at the cost of more efficient(PITA) design, and the design is such because without the balancer wheel being separate from the balancer weight it'd not be possible install the cases, as seen below;

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-1.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-2.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-3.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-4.jpg

Above are snaps taken from Jeet Bhaskar's rebuild series of the Duke 390, one of the better Indian YT'ers if I may say.

The reason you've not heard of this happen on Pulsar's and the likes is because the counter balancer is of a non interference design and even if it fails the motorcycle at best vibrates a lot and nothing more.

But then again you cannot compare the two, the 390/250 engines offer state of the art performance and technology compared to the older agricultural engines. It offers the modern 2 Piece connecting rod instead of the prehistoric single piece connecting rod, it offers journal bearings for the crank instead of the old roller type bearings etc which even the Duke 125/200 still comes with, heck it even has 2 Oil Pumps.

So all things considered the engine going for a toss is just happenstance as its mostly limited to the 390 motors, and as gory as it may seem it really isn't cause if you were to replace the crank bearings on the 250/390 then also you'd have to replace the cases as the inserts aren't sold separately by KTM, so either way you still end up replacing the cases.

If at all a consolation, I'd say its still a win considering the performance on tap i.e provided the owners are aware of what they're getting into, cause IMHO all said and done one cannot simply buy a European motorcycle and then complain that its not as reliable as a Japanese motorcycle since both offer completely different experiences.

P.S. Not a KTM Fanboi.

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 9th August 2020 at 04:42.
ashwinprakas is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 07:43   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Wow. Everytime you post pics on this thread I turn green with envy. Was this a solo ride?
No it wasn't!

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200802_10275901.jpeg
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 10:52   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

I am loving this bike on B roads and interior arterial roads that connect little villages dotted around the country side. The bike doesn't feel big amd clamour for attention like my versys did, but has sublime grunt to do a peaceful trot which allows me to admire my surroundings and the proceeding village life.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-00100lrportrait_00100_burst20200802092742637_cover01.jpeg
Red Liner is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 22:01   #310
BHPian

KTM is supposedly working on the KTM 490 Adventure, which is going to be a twin cylinder. I'm already drooling.
Old 15th August 2020, 19:57   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

When your motorcycle takes you to places like these, its all good.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200802_10323101.jpeg

This bike seems to pull pretty well even two up on the trails!

Red Liner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 07:35   #312
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When your motorcycle takes you to places like these, its all good.
Wow!! Your pictures are simply stunning. And fully agree, a nice light Adv with enough grunt is truly a joy in terms of the kind of last mile places you can access with it.

Keep the posts and the pics rolling here please. This is going to be my definitive 390A reference thread.

Safe riding.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 11:21   #313
BHPian

The latest project by the well known Hemant Darbar of HDT customs:

It looks quite well executed and makes the bike look purposeful. Serious off-road and enduro enthusiasts should definitely consider these mods.

Last edited by Motard_Blr : 16th August 2020 at 11:22.
Motard_Blr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 14:18   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just something from this morning to keep this thread going!
Just a tiny little montage from this ride over on instagram

Hope you like it and makes your Monday morning a little more tolerable
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 08:33   #315
BHPian

YouTube is free and so was I.

shyamg28 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks