Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2020, 23:20   #166
BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
One of the best rendering artists showing me what I had in mind for my KTM 390 Adventure. Surely going to get to this, slow and steady.

What do you guys think?
Guess you're almost there with the removal of saree guard and compact tail tidy! Just the front number plate holder, handguards and mirrors need to be taken care of for the 'sleeker' ADV form factor
TheVaas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 23:30   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Any functional reason you want bar end mirrors on an adventure bike? I think it looks ridiculous. Imagine standing on the pegs, and looking at these mirrors
None I guess. I agree that it won't be as functional as the normal ones. But how often am I going to stand up and ride? That is the question. Nothing wrong in playing around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Its your bike, you can do whatever you want

But if you ask for opinions from adventure purists on an adventure/dual sport bike thread... You won't know what hit you
So anyone and everyone around the world who has installed a bar end mirror is less of an adventure / dual sport rider? Less of a motorcyclist / purist? Why does it have to hit me? It's just their opinion. The forum is open for all. You can say it looks bad, that is fine.

I bought the 390 ADV more as an all rounder, not a bike to go trail riding all the time / frequent off-roading. It is the most well equipped motorcycle for riding across the country IMO. Most of the owners would do the same, even though they claim otherwise (or be purists).

Last edited by parrys : 6th May 2020 at 23:56.
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 00:05   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
None I guess. I agree that it won't be as functional as the normal ones. But how often am I going to stand up and ride? That is the question. Nothing wrong in playing around...
One of the advantages of commuting on adventure bikes is the ability to split lanes with cars really close at stoplights. While I do that my handle bars are always above the height of the side mirrors on all cars. On my bike, bar end mirrors will almost certainly be at the height of the side mirrors of most cars.

How does the ADV 390 do, when you put it next to popular cars? Do you care about this?

I totally support your pursuit of personalizing your bike, go for it. Just trying to think of reasons other than looks, that would stop me from doing it.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 00:10   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
One of the advantages of commuting on adventure bikes is the ability to split lanes with cars really close at stoplights. While I do that my handle bars are always above the height of the side mirrors on all cars. On my bike, bar end mirrors will almost certainly be at the height of the side mirrors of most cars.

How does the ADV 390 do, when you put it next to popular cars? Do you care about this?

I totally support your pursuit of personalizing your bike, go for it. Just trying to think of reasons other than looks, that would stop me from doing it.
Bought the bike, got it fixed (quickshifter) and ride ready, and stuck in the Covid-19 lockdown ever since. So no real riding has happened except for open highway running in.

I agree the splitting lanes bit, must give it a shot. Live in Mumbai, so this will matter. Also depends on the bar end mirrors I get, how they fit. Or if I position them above the bar to avoid this issue.

If it does't work, the stock ones will be easy to put back on. But these bar ends which I am looking at are really expensive (Motogadget). So a hole in the pocket for sure
Old 7th May 2020, 17:28   #170
BHPian

Whole bunch of mods on this one:

shyamg28 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 20:31   #171
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Could only force myself to watch for a minute or two at best.

Seems like its the guys first motorcycle, cause he's done what every teenager does when he gets his first motorcycle i.e ride around the local market to install every "chapri modifikazion" available.

Though it is not ideal to comment on individual tastes, my only request is enthusiasts put commonsense ahead of aesthetics.

As for the earlier query on Bar-End Mirrors, make sure that you're getting 'Convex' mirrors cause a majority of crap imported from China come with plain mirrors that are plain useless and a safety hazard.

Ride Safe,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 21:01   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Though it is not ideal to comment on individual tastes, my only request is enthusiasts put commonsense ahead of aesthetics.
Form over function. There's a fine line to tread here. I brought the video up because the discussion was kind of heading there.

I always watch such videos at 2x. Take what you want, ignore the rest.

I felt this individual was reasonable in ensuring that function was not impacted majorly (that's debatable of course).

As for commonsense, I think that should be put ahead regardless of category
shyamg28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 20:17   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Thanks for sharing, this is quite a useful video even for those who dont own the Adventure 390. My only concern is that those aux lights seem to be flood lights and not spot lights and as a result, people coming from the other side are likely to be blinded. And on top of that the gentleman was talking about adding a couple of aux lights on top of it!

Other than that grievance though, I really liked how he has put time and money into making his motorcycle more useful for himself.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 15:52   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick spin to meet friends and inmates "Added Flavour" on his two wheeled orchestra, the CBR 650, and "Ku69rd" on his continent crossing VStrom 650.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200509_083653.jpg
Long Queue

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200509_084410.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200509_090029.jpg
I think my CBR has better ground clearance

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200509_090036.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200509_093840.jpg
Grass greener on the other side?

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-00100lrportrait_00100_burst20200509093952912_cover.jpg
Sasur, Bahu aur Saas

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200509_094109.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20200509wa0006.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20200509wa0007.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20200509wa0009.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-00100lrportrait_00100_burst20200509094048114_cover.jpg
Can we go on a trip?

Some pictures courtesy Added Flavour!

Last edited by Red Liner : 9th May 2020 at 15:54.
Red Liner is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 18:03   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
A quick spin ....
It was a nice little catch up... And boy was I impressed by the 390Adv! This is the first time I saw the bike in flesh and I was taken aback by the presence it has. It was not at all dwarfed by the bigger Vstrom and stood its ground with pride!

Till now I somehow had an image that this is a quick jugaad pulled out by KTM on the 390 Duke, how wrong I was! It is well thought out and purpose built. While the seat height is a big number on paper, the seat tapers well near the tank. The light weight and well balanced nature of the bike was apparent the moment I sat on the bike and overall it wasn't intimidating for the 5'7"ish me. Looking forward to a nice long TR on this soon.
Added_flavor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 19:02   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Looking forward to a nice long TR on this soon.
You should have asked me, we could have exchanged bikes
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 11:52   #177
BHPian

BHPian Monaro CV8 and I own a 2016 Street Triple 675 and have noticed that all the roads to good destinations have a 60:40 ratio i.e. good:bad and therefore are in lookout and contemplating on a secondary nice light pocket rocket ADV bike in the garage which can do a quick one/two night getaways and also help us discover another side of doing trails and semi-offroad rides. So we TD’ed the KTM 390 Adventure.

Initial Impressions :

As soon as you get on the seat, the first thing you’ll realise is the beefy sofa. I could sit on it all day lol. Even the pillion seat is wide and comfy. The TFT screen is nice. The mirrors are same as Duke 390. You sit tall. I’m 185cms and I still could feel the height. For an average height guy, it may get frustrating to tip toe all the time he stops; would depend on individual’s liking. The bike has all the bells and whistles for that price tag. If I sit and try to pen down all the features, I’m sure I’ll miss a few. The only thing is how good and effective are they.

Crank it up and there’s no difference between Duke 390 and A390 exhaust Note, the state of the tune is also the same. If you’ve ridden a Duke 390 before, you’ll not notice any difference in terms of connecting to a new bike. The bike that we got to TD had quite a few issues, there were lot of vibrations at foot pegs, the gearbox was rough, the QS was jerky and worked smoothly 6/10 hits. The autoblipper was good and gives that extra comfort to bang down gears without use of clutch Lever. The brakes give good feedback as well.

We also tried her over small steps and speed breakers and she responded brilliantly. The suspensions are soft, the travel is tall and you can feel it.

We got to do a 2km open concrete laid stretch. One major noticeable thing when you ride is that the handle is positioned down and would need handle bar risers for my height. Even when tried standing, the handle was hard to reach. Definitely need risers to comfortably glide over rough patches.

I’m waiting for some considerable feedbacks and reviews of the bike before I actually get down to the table.

Below are some pics -

Monaro CV 8 in the Alpinestars jacket , AGV helmet and the other is me :

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-19c1e7690e2145498fd00d061b5d7dc9.jpeg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-3565cbc7a5a24edb997fc67a93344f0e.jpeg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-bf8e16148fe349d2accd834940168199.jpeg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-4e1d35f2eef745d2a5df58db0f0e0c2a.jpeg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-7a4ba544108c423884dbc546dc1036f5.jpeg

Cheers
Amey

Last edited by Amey Kulkarni : 10th May 2020 at 12:19.
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 11:12   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
You sit tall. I’m 185cms and I still could feel the height. For an average height guy, it may get frustrating to tip toe all the time he stops;
One major noticeable thing when you ride is that the handle is positioned down and would need handle bar risers for my height.
Had a chance to just sit on one today.

I second each of those points - I'm 182cms and sitting on the bike was the first real intimidating experience I've had on a bike at standstill.
I was able to put both feet down easily but flatfoot, no. Which implies that you'd have to keep one foot on the pegs and flatfoot the other. Would just be a matter of getting used to it. This wouldn't be a deal breaker for me personally.

Seat is long and a bit hard (I'm coming off of the Himalayan's ultra-soft seat).
I even sat pillion and compared it directly with the Himalayan's, and I can't help feeling that the pillion would sit more comfortably on the 390. My knees were bent less on the 390, and you certainly sit taller.

I liked that the pegs and levers were slightly angled forward, though I do not know how much it would affect gripping while saddling.

The handle bar felt wider than the Himalayan's. As already mentioned, they are low-set but I feel one should ride the bike as is before changing, unless of course you're absolutely sure of what you need.

The button's have a binary feel to them, i.e., you can hear a definite click on press.
I don't know if this is a feature on KTM's but I barely pressed the electric starter and the bike just started.
On other bikes I have noticed that you need to hold the starter a bit longer. Neat little feature this, if it is indeed a feature.

They did not have a test bike (luckily I should say). If you're from Bangalore, the showroom guy suggested Indiranagar or Marathahalli showrooms for test-rides.

Attaching the On-road price and Finance schemes (which have undergone a minor change as per the showroom fellow):

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-photo6192934626121591565.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-photo6192934626121591566.jpg

(Apologies for the mind blowing quality of the pics!)

Last edited by shyamg28 : 15th May 2020 at 11:19.
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 21:51   #179

3.85 for the 390 adventure and 3.30 for the 390 Duke(assuming KTM 390 is the 390 Duke)? Which state has these pricing?

When I booked the 390 Adventure in Thane just days before the lockdown, it was around ~Rs. 3,58,500 OTR with 5 year of comprehensive insurance and the Duke was about ~3.10. Granted, some negotiation was done to fit in the comprehensive insurance following which I had to forego the "premium addons" like a cheap Studds helmet, a almost see through bike cover and a bundle of coupons for some cheap places I never heard of

So why are the OTR price varying so vastly?
tedha_ant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 23:56   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedha_ant View Post
3.85 for the 390 adventure and 3.30 for the 390 Duke(assuming KTM 390 is the 390 Duke)? Which state has these pricing?
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Those prices are ones in Bengaluru which has one of the highest road taxes in the country.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th May 2020 at 06:26. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please quote selectively as a large post inconveniences small screen users. Thanks.
Avinash_R is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks