Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2020, 15:17   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Superb! Love the post-sunset shot.

Two questions. How are the stock tyres? How did the suspension handle it?

Also, are the stock headlights adequate to get you home from these trails?

Thanks,
Neel
Here's a glimpse of the KTM 390 Adventure on a gnarly hardcore uphill section with rocks the size of your face.

1. Stock tyres are good for the amateur fun we have. I think as our skills progress, we shall invest in better tyres as they become available for the stock sizing.

2. The suspension is good enough for trails like these. I don't think I will run around on a motocross track with this bike.

3. Yes, the stock headlights were very good in the dark, and were adequate on the highway.
Red Liner is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 18:37   #137
Team-BHP Support

Update: Quick shifter fix

I was following the conversation of the Bangalore 390 Adventure whatsapp group and I was guided to Mekhri circle KTM (Dealer Popular), folks seemed to have got their Quick Shifter sorted by them. I walked in on Saturday morning and another 390 adventure owner also joined me.

Take 1

They seemed to know the issue and take in my bike for the fix. I was watching what they were doing and realized it was the normal Quick Shifter adaptation process that was done. The floor manager took the bike for a spin and when he returned I noticed that the shifter warning lights were On. Obviously he forcefully tried and mentioned it is not working.

Take 2

The internet network was down at the workshop, but the folks managed to tether their phone and get one more round of ECU update done for my bike. Went through the quick shifter adaptation cycle and while downshifting into 1st gear (within the learning cycle), the error again came up. They tried this multiple times and the same outcome.

Damn it! I thought this is it, I will have to now raise it with KTM and wait. But the Service Manager came in and then he, in turn, made a call, I am assuming this is to a Senior KTM technical person in charge. Anyhow he took some instruction and the following was done.

Take 3 Final fix if your quick shifter is not working at all and throwing error on TFT.

Remove shifter sensor - If you remember old Yezdi's and Jawa's and the mechanical auto clutch?? The implementation is similar in Adventure 390. There is a shaft/lever that pushes out and in when you move the gear lever and this, in turn, activates an electronic senor/switch sitting on the clutch side. So good news, one does not have to remove the gearbox or engine, it is just two bolts and the cover along with shift sensor comes out. Sensor was then removed, a visual inspection and some clean up using some cotton waste and were put back in. Mind you a small amount of oil can come out.

I prompted him to also check the connector at other end of the wire, so he removed the same and give it a good blow of mouth before it was put back.

Disconnected battery - waited for a few seconds and then connected back, assume this is one more step to reset ECU, but then noticed that the clock setting was intact. So not sure if this works or if the TFT has some reserve power source, apart from battery.

Quick Shifter adaptation - Connect the OBD and go through the quick shifter learning cycle. While running the bike on paddock stand, they run the engine to about 2-3k RPM and then shift from gear 1 to 6, then shift down 6 to 1. My bike before this extended fix, used to throw the shifter error by the time it reaches 2nd gear in this downward cycle. Fingers crossed, and this time it did not throw the quick shifter error! This was a good sign as per me! Also do note while running on paddock like this, the traction control as well as ECU failure error would come, this can be ignored.

The floor manager again took the bike for a test and this time he came back with a positive nod of his helmet! The issue is resolved!! Finally!

A big shout out to Ashlay the Service Manager and Shiva the floor manager of KTM Mekri circle, Bangalore! You guys rock! and Thank you! I checked if I need to pay and Ashlay confirmed there is nothing to be charged and gave me his number to call if I faced any issue.

I took the bike and it was immediately evident that the shifter is working!

1- That annoying jerk/cut off is gone, so when the gear lever is moved this should happen to enable the shift. When the system is not working/configured correctly, ECU is confused and sending the same signal randomly based on engine load (my guess) and hence the jerk.

2- A gentle pressure on the gear lever, while holding the rev and the gear shifts to the next higher gear. Initially, some gears were not working as it should but within some riding things seems to be AOK.

But more than the upshift, it is the downshift where this Quick Shifter is really a boon, one can quickly go down the gears to complement the stopping with some additional engine brake. Cut the throttle and apply gentle pressure on the lever, and the bike will automatically shift down and adjust to the wheel speed. If I remember correctly the manual says to do this only below 9500 RPM for gears 6 to 3 and below 9000 RPM for 2 to 1. I guess this is to prevent overrevving of the engine. Similarly minumum of 2000 RPM for shifting higher, though the action improves as the RPM goes higher Vs lower RPM where it can result in slight head bobbing/jerk.

To summarize, if your quick shifter is erratic or rough, doing just an adaptation cycle should be enough. But if your quick shifter is totally dud and you are getting the shifter error band in red in your bike, you might want to go through this slightly longer procedure.

I hope the above post helps others to get the quick shifter issue solved.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th March 2020 at 18:42.
Jaggu is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 19:21   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

For the folks who want to know how the lights do on a trail at night, i am ahead of the guy shooting the video.

Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 10:47   #139
BHPian

@Red Liner: These trails look similar to the Rajmachi one during the media testride event.

Could you say something more about how the bike felt to ride on this stuff? How did the engine do and did the lacking low end feel ever like a limiting factor? How did the weight of the bike feel?
drt_rdr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 12:17   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
@Red Liner: These trails look similar to the Rajmachi one during the media testride event.

Could you say something more about how the bike felt to ride on this stuff? How did the engine do and did the lacking low end feel ever like a limiting factor? How did the weight of the bike feel?
Here's another video of the same climb shot from another angle:

Thats correct, and it was the first thought that ran through our collective heads when we ventured into the trail.

1. First off, i have had the front sprocket down to 14. That makes a mental difference to how the bike takes on offroad now.

2. So the bike was good on rough Rocky terrain. TC has to be off. But if you see the video properly, i dropped the bike to the right and killed the engine. This reset the TC and in the melee i just took off. You will see the tc flashing frantically on the dash. If off, it will just stay lit constantly. Even then there bike performed admirably.

3. Then i remembered to consciously check TC before i engage and go. With the TC on, the bike is effortless. Its like a whole new map offroad. All the power to the rear wheel and there bike refuses to stall. I kept the abs on because i am not yet into sliding the rear wheel offroad.

4. Engine revved free, which is a great plus over the himalayan. Hit first gear and you dont feel the engine losing power at all, lots of confidence that it will get you out.

5. The weight disappears when you go. Even at stand still on undulating terrain it doesn't feel weighty. But walking this bike up rocky terrain alone will be a challenge. For that, a bike under 130 kgs is best.

Here's me riding a few hard pack trails with the 310GS for company.

Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 18:59   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Traction Control is sorted. Follow this guide to keep that thing OFF when on the trail.

Red Liner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 19:20   #142
BHPian

Real world review from Autocar India.

JithinR is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 01:37   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
1. First off, i have had the front sprocket down to 14. That makes a mental difference to how the bike takes on offroad now.
I watched the video on YouTube of Abhinav also talk about the 14T making a big difference. I know there's a back sprocket available as a powerpart especially for this bike but I think it costs 10x of the price of the 250 Duke 14T front sprocket. Not sure if this voids warranty at all, but definitely keen on getting this done to the bike in the first service.

Anything else to look out for in the interim or during the first service? I'll make sure I keep an eye out for the updates to the software and also get them to check o-rings on the windscreen again.

I just bought myself the 390 Adv and got it delivered yesterday and stalled it couple of times already. But other than that, its a fantastic motor and loves a higher rpm range being maintained.

Did you or any other owners notice a slightly clunkier gearbox? It slips into the gear quite easily when your almost engaging a half-clutch kinda setup maybe because of the Quickshifter but if you keep the clutch fully pressed, there is some resistance for sure. Or am I doing something wrong?

Thoughts?
Old 18th March 2020, 21:56   #144
BHPian

@Red Liner: Thanks, that's a lot of good information. From the videos, it looked like the bike is comfortable at slow speeds too.

I've been looking at it for someone else. I guess that almost settles it. Sounds like Adv390 is a very rideable bike for most users almost right out the showroom floor. Gonna keep in mind the sprocket change too.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 18th March 2020 at 21:59.
Old 19th March 2020, 20:13   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
I
Did you or any other owners notice a slightly clunkier gearbox? It slips into the gear quite easily when your almost engaging a half-clutch kinda setup maybe because of the Quickshifter but if you keep the clutch fully pressed, there is some resistance for sure. Or am I doing something wrong?

Thoughts?
1. Clunky gearbox should get smoother with use and after you put fresh synth oil at service 1.

2. I dont know about your shifting style, but do what works for you. That's what matters at the end of the day.

3. Get all your software updates done at service.

Ride safe and enjoy!
Old 19th March 2020, 22:23   #146
Senior - BHPian

Awesome shots

PatienceWins is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 14:46   #147
kph
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post

Thoughts?
Try with the quick shifter off. Gears will be smooth as normal. That's the case with my bike, at least.
Old 22nd March 2020, 19:03   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph View Post
Try with the quick shifter off. Gears will be smooth as normal. That's the case with my bike, at least.
Thanks for the recommendation. Will give this a shot.
Old 26th March 2020, 17:19   #149
BHPian

I'm sure this video has been circulated quite a lot, still posting it here for those who haven't seen it yet. Terms like incredibly stupid, blithering idiot and all that come to mind.

VR/46_Chet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 10:59   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Rear rack designs have started making their way into the market.

Here is one from Advtribe. Just two bolts connecting the rack to the bike. Supplier says can hold up to 30kgs.

Full specs
Base made from 4mm 304 Stainless Steel
Top Rack made from T6 Aluminum alloy.
Designed to provide maximum protection
Treated for corrosion resistance
Requires no permanent modification
https://www.advtribe.in/product/ktm-...ith-top-plate/

Not sure what kind of stress test he has subject this design to. Makes sense to have the weight on two bolts on the sub frame?

How is it on the 790 adv? Isnt it kind of similar though?

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20200330wa0004.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20200330wa0003.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20200330wa0007.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20200330wa0006.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20200330wa0005.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20200330wa0002.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20200317wa0008.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20200317wa0006.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20200317wa0007.jpg

Here is another one from carbon racing. Looks a bit more robust design.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20200330wa0009.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20200330wa0010.jpg
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks