Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2020, 16:11   #31
BHPian

Re: My 2020 Royal Enfield Thunderbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky4WD View Post
Thanks for sharing. Nice write-up. I have been thinking of upgrading to a TB500 as well (available in a few showrooms across the country)
Even if available they would have been registered and you would be the second owner of the bike. As you can't register them new as it's past the bs6 deadline. Please don't let someone sell you an unregistered bike. You will be stuck with it for good.
Old 12th September 2020, 19:25   #32
BHPian

Been 500 kms since the last service and happy to report no oil leaks as of now. Fingers crossed.
Hamza123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 20:00   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza123 View Post
Been 500 kms since the last service and happy to report no oil leaks as of now. Fingers crossed.
Just came across this thread. Great detailed post describing your deciding and buying experience. I could sense the emotion as I am also a part of the RE family
Old 16th November 2020, 15:12   #34
BHPian

Nothing new to report. The workhorse is chugging along nicely and will cross the 5000 km mark soon. Happy to report no niggles no breakdowns nothing broken or fallen off yet! Either am plain lucky (knock on wood!!) or the effect of the twins is rubbing off on the other models as well!
Got this lovely saddle bag made for the bike and love the retro looks that blends perfectly with the motorcycle
My 2020 Royal Enfield Thunderbird-092e14931582499181b0bf239671b033.jpeg
Hamza123 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 20:57   #35
BHPian

Quote:
-Please please look elsewhere if redlining and riding fast,or chasing your KTM and Dominar buddies is your thing.You will be sorely disappointed if you have bought this bike for that. Dont be disheartened if a Pulsar zooms past you. This one is meant for relaxed cruising.
I absolutely agree to this point . I came from a Honda Unicorn family where I used to race with Karizma, Pulsar and Apaches. I bought the first batch of UCE engine, an Electra 350 and used to cruise with other racers (Only for fun ). Guess what? I broke the chain, brake wire, clutch wire all in different scenarios and I must say I'm damn lucky in all those incidents. Finally after 2 years of stints with the bike, I parted with it blaming the engine. But the passion still remains on it, waiting for the next big step on it again with of course matured enough riding this time alone.
ManneAtWheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 22:18   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Nothing new to report.
Attachment 2080912
What a beautiful bike! If they ever sold the Thunderbird and the Meteor side-by-side, I would pick up the Thunderbird without a shred of doubt. It looks so much better and "butch" than the Meteor.

The bike just stands out and has a majestic feel to it

Best Regards,
Ex-Electra and current Himalayan Owner.
Old 17th November 2020, 10:52   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
What a beautiful bike! If they ever sold the Thunderbird and the Meteor side-by-side, I would pick up the Thunderbird without a shred of doubt. It looks so much better and "butch" than the Meteor.

The bike just stands out and has a majestic feel to it
Thank you for the kind words
Yes I totally agree the thunderbird looks far better than the Meteor especially because of the spoke wheels and the distinctive tail section.
I was at major crossroads when I bought the bike. There was already news that 500s were discontinued, the Interceptor was tempting and a new generation of Enfields loomed over the horizon. But there is an old world charm to the long stroke pushrod engine that am enjoying so much. I anyways needed a bike for my long city commutes and this is more than capable for it.
It was my wife's one one sentence that cemented my decision. " Two years down the line you can still buy the Interceptor or the new generation Enfield but u won't be able to own this one". The rest is history
Hamza123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 12:10   #38
KPR
BANNED

To be frank I was tempted by the Honda H'ness 350 than a Meteor. TB500 is a settled machine once it gets heated up maybe after 4-5kms. Moreoever seating comfort that a TB500 offers is excellent. So I'm resisting my temptations. The occasional maintenance I do once in 2 months other than servicing is clean and lubricate the chain using Motul products. Rest all are fine so far with my TB. So replacing this machine is not an easy job. But it is good that market has more options for cruiser bikes in 2020.

Last edited by KPR : 17th November 2020 at 12:14.
Old 18th November 2020, 11:40   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
To be frank I was tempted by the Honda H'ness 350 than a Meteor.
The Highness is a good product ( barring the name !) But somehow these neo retro modern products don't cut it for me and come across as bit confused. I still prefer either a fully retro motorcycle or a fully modern one not a mish mash of the two. Robs one of either experience. Also the Highness is not a cruiser and more of a roadster
Hamza123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 18:13   #40
BHPian

Crossed the 5000 mark today!
Took longer than what I thought it would take thanks to the lockdown. Still going strong, nothing major to report and should be ready for its 1 year/6000kms service soon

My 2020 Royal Enfield Thunderbird-28ed297f854b43aa9815286266c01498.jpeg
Old 13th December 2020, 15:45   #41
BHPian

[quote=Hamza123;4755376]

Seats
One thing that I always liked on cruisers were having old vintage seats. After doing some research online I connected with Sahara Seats from Hyderabad. Had seen some of their work with some moto loggers on YouTube and I was pretty impressed with their work. After connecting with them on WhatsApp the pain staking process begun. These guys are really professional and incorporated every little detail I asked them to. They made at least 3 full samples to show me before making one for me! I honestly have not seen anyone go through so much trouble to satisfy a client. Highly recommended for anyone looking for customized seats. The quality is really good and gives a sense of pure leather even though it is PU leather for being waterproof. Super happy with these!
Attachment 1971659

Attachment 1971660

/QUOTE]

The quilted seats look spectacular! Together with the windshield, it gives a completely different look to the T'bird!

That seat option needs to be offerer by the showroom..

Great taste, Hamza! Your bike looks fabulous. Wish you many miles of happy riding.
Old 13th December 2020, 23:05   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingCanvas View Post

The quilted seats look spectacular! Together with the windshield, it gives a completely different look to the T'bird!

That seat option needs to be offerer by the showroom..

Great taste, Hamza! Your bike looks fabulous. Wish you many miles of happy riding.
Thank you for the kind words.
Yes they have done a great job and they have held up well even after a year of use. Also they are so reasonable that replacing them too won't be an issue.

Bike should be in for it's next periodic service and one year ownership report soon!
Old 24th December 2020, 16:08   #43
KPR
BANNED

Today when I was riding my TB the speedo clamp has broken on both sides causing dancing of speedo console. Now I've to change the clamps. Planning to visit service center for working in it. Also found in FB wherein many have used two clamps (one above another) and tightened. This seems to have reduced vibration of Speedo console too. How's yours holding up @Hamza123? Reason I see for breaking of clamp is rusting of clamp plates.
Old 29th December 2020, 10:38   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Today when I was riding my TB the speedo clamp has broken on both sides causing dancing of speedo console. Now I've to change the clamps. Planning to visit service center for working in it. Also found in FB wherein many have used two clamps (one above another) and tightened. This seems to have reduced vibration of Speedo console too. How's yours holding up @Hamza123? Reason I see for breaking of clamp is rusting of clamp plates.
It does reduce the vibration of the speedo upto 90 percent. I have even inserted thick rubber in between the speedo and the top part of the fork so I have next to no vibrations from the speedo. Absolutely holding up well after a year of use.
Old 18th January 2021, 12:55   #45
BHPian

One year update

So the big boy completed one year of ownership.
Happy to report that it went by completely smooth easy and hassle free. No major issues to complain, nothing fell off or broke , and it's not left me stranded anywhere. Completed 6000kms in this one year, would have been closer to 10000 had we not had the lockdown. These were covered entirely in city rides and the bike has still not seen the highway though I hope to change that in the coming months.

Things that could have been better

Maybe the only thing I can really complain about are the brakes. I find them inadequate especially in emergency braking. It has improved after the 4th service but I still feel they lack the bite. Its a good thing I ride at a very relaxed pace hence its ok but will need to check on ways I can improve this.
The horn and lights could do with some improvement as well.

Mods planned

Lights

As with all people who buy Enfield i plan to visit the mountains up north. If and when that trip materializes I plan to get a pair of aux lights fit. Have shortlisted a few and will decide after doing a bit more research.
Besides that I may get a bs3 light switch installed to keep the headlight shut during the day.

Horn
Might get a better horn installed. The stock one really sounds weak.

4th free service
The 4th free service of the bike was done. This time I gave the bike to Sadguru Auto on sihagadh road and I had heard only nice things about this place. And was not disappointed. The staff were extremely professional, listened and solved all that I told them and bike was feeling much tighter and smoother after I got it back. Highly recommended

Unique table
My 2020 Royal Enfield Thunderbird-img20210118wa0031.jpg

The well lit and extremely clean service area
My 2020 Royal Enfield Thunderbird-img20210118wa0032.jpg

Am extremely glad I went with my gut feeling and chose what as per the showroom was the last Thunderbird 500 to roll off the assembly line instead of the Interceptor. It was a tough choice but the Thunderbird really suits my relaxed style of riding especially after a long tiring day at work. Its far more comfortable than anything I have ridden, the torque is addictive and I love the muted roar of the exhaust. Sure its discontinued now but I firmly believe this one is a keeper and will stay in my garage forever!
Until next time!
Hamza123 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks