Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2019, 19:06   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need to buy one, but which one? Jawa 42 vs Bullet 350 vs Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Interceptor is a superior motorcycle in every way. Bullet 350 is boring, jawa is a mojo 300 with vintage clothes. I would pick the interceptor for the refinement, brakes, looks, exhaust note and absolutely superior performance
I was not aware that Interceptor has so much fan following, may be because I was not following bikes for some time now.
Yes, it's a cool bike for sure and i was literally blown away with it's ride. It's in my list and very strong contender too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Why now add the Benelli Imperiale 400 to the mix?

From all the reviews online, the bits seem to be of a better fit and finish and it also comes with an awesome warranty.
Need to check this. Never seen this bike in person, forget riding it. Let me search show room first and then will try it for sure before finalizing any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
I get around 24-25 in the city and 30-32 on highway.
I had the infamous issue of front end wobbling at 80-90 Kmph. Same issue with a lot of other Interceptor riders. Some got the front rim changed, some got the entire wheel assembly changed under warranty. In my case they said the issue is with the front tyre and changed that under warranty. Has been OK after that.
Nothing major apart from that.
We were around 40 riders to rider mania from both Mumbai and Pune. No one faced any issue on the ride onward and return, apart from a Puncture.
Thanks mate, it was very useful info I am looking for. This is not bad average and I am perfectly fine with it.

Wobbling issue is dangerous, heard for the first time. Hope it is sorted now for new bikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
I own continental GT 650, and i can tell you, the bike gives you a smile everytime you ride, the engine is fantastic and there are no vibrations or whatsoever, brakes are amazing with a nice bite. The same thing applies to interceptor. Service cost is 2500₹ per service once a year. Bike is giving me fuel economy of 30 kmpl approx, parts are a little bit expensive but it's a 650 cc bike.

So the engine and riding part of the the bike is fantastic, now coming to the part about you and pillion comfort, take test drives of all the bikes with your wife, go to all the showrooms and drive them in various conditions like traffic, bad roads, open roads etc and then decide for yourself.

Interceptor is a superior product, classic and jawa cannot match it in terms of performance and build quality but
it is expensive as well, but if you have the budget go for it.

P. S. Everyone will give his or her opinion, take test drives and decide for yourself, and go what your heart says not your brain
Yes!! Planning all test drives pretty soon for all bikes and will not finalize anything unless I am 100% satisfied. Don't want to rush into anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrn View Post
You see the moment you mention RE anywhere, you will get a lot of friendly advice. They are friendly blokes. Nice people. Why I say so because I myself am one. Been riding a bull since 8 years.
I can relate to you. I had no need of a bike but I bought it just for the fun of it. The beauty of motorcycles is once you buy a machine, slowly you tend to fall in love with it. With Enfield's it is even more so.
I would try to ease out my opinion as most of what I had thought of has already been said.

Jawa is a cool bike. But it is new. So finding parts and spares and aftermarket mods will be a little difficult. On a long ride out of city you will have poor support. Plus it doesn't have the power.

Coming on to the bulls. Ok 350 first. Enough has been said but it is a really practical bike. My wife doesn't allow me riding often and there have been times it has stood for a month or so still key in, off stand, fuel on, a small flying kiss to the bike and silent prayers and voila- starts at the second kick. That's it's beauty. It simply doesn't die and that's why you will find even 20 year old examples. It's imperfections make it more endearing. Excellent low end torque. In summers it's my daily drive to work. Pottering about in city is easy. No hassles. It will go anywhere where the width of its handlebars permit.

Point is it is a good bike. Even if you don't ride it for a long period it won't give you troubles and has decent power and torque. Pillion comfort is nice. It is not a dead investment. Second hand well maintained bulls have excellent resale value. Just don't take it to the highway too often coz beyond 90 it will vibrate bones in places you did not even knew existed.

The interceptor. Presently the most affordable parallel twin in india. Has the power and pep to put a smile on your face every time you floor it. Will satisfy your look quotient too. Will be a little heavy on maintaining but will give you a high every time you ride it. With respect from other fellows because they know you are faster and stronger.

My advice. Take multiple test drives and buy which tugs your heart. One has to grow a bond with the bike. It is not like a 100 cc. One will have to learn how to ride it, understand it's behaviour it's nuances. So try riding all and buy whatever tugs your heart.

I will end with my favourite quote- something I have picked up from team bhp and has now become my philosophy and I quote ( credit sdp) YOU LIVE ONLY ONCE. So keep that in mind and follow your heart. Happy riding.
You are right. 350 is peace of mind as it's in market for long and all issues are sorted, few are known. Advantage here is it's service & spares are available in many places now due to sheer number of bikes on road, specially in Pune. Look wise it is still one of the best, I like Khaki the most.
Jawa 42 is comparatively smaller bike but it has it's own advantage. Need to take really long ride to get more feel of it. My first drive was hardly a kilometer long where i couldn't accelerate it much.

For now my heart is saying to buy all 3 bikes
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 19:14   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Wobbling issue is dangerous, heard for the first time. Hope it is sorted now for new bikes.
Was not really dangerous. The handlebar used to start shaking only if you let go of it (Both hands off). Also, my bike was from the first batches (Feb 19 made). I'm sure the new ones have most niggles fixed by now. New ones also come with clear lens set up.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 22:26   #33
Senior - BHPian

Why haven't you looked at the RE Himalayan? I own one for the past 13 months and am extremely happy with it!

Quote:
My primary needs are –

1 Look wise it should be good only – Must Have, should have some road presence and should get some proud owner type feeling as well. Lol, I am silly!
The Himalayan definitely will turn heads! She is a looker

Quote:
2 Handling should be good.
Handling is good.

Quote:
3 Less maintenance (not cost wise) is key for me, don’t like to visit garage every now & then for small small issues.
No unscheduled service centre visits in one year of ownership.

Quote:
4 Budget around 3 lacs, can extend little bit as well.
It's well within your budget. Leaves plenty spare cash for accessories!

Quote:
5 Should be able to carry 3 people occasionally in city for small distance. Not a must have but, can live without it.
Not recommended on any motorcycle. Also not legal.

Quote:
6 Suspension should be good as I am no more in my young days.
Has the best suspension setup on any motorcycle in your radar.

Quote:
7 Should Not have starting trouble, I simply hate if bike don’t start in morning on first crank. That’s why I hate Honda bikes.
Zero starting troubles for me. Touch wood!

Quote:
8 Running would be 5-7K per year. Mostly used as a pleasure bike on weekends. Thinking of starting small rides of 100-200 Kms to nearby places like Konkan as I used to do 10-15 years back.
I've put in 5000 km of touring in one year of ownership.

Leaving links to my ownership review and the 1000+ post Himalayan thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ownership.html (Royal Enfield Himalayan ABS - One year of blissful ownership!)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...an-thread.html

Note from Support:

Please DO NOT respond within quotes, use the multi-quote option instead when addressing specific points in a post.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th December 2019 at 16:26. Reason: Fixed quotes.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 07:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore and Pune are the bike capitals, and I see a Jawa very rarely. Of late, the Interceptor seems to be everywhere. So no prizes for guessing which is more popular. Personally, I liked the Interceptor a lot. The engine felt really good and the stance, very relaxing. My friend got the new one and reports no niggles, so yeah - go for it!
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 14:37   #35
BHPian

I won a RE classic 350 and Jawa 42, just a week old.

I took delivery of my Jawa 42, on last Saturday! so far have clocked 150 Kms. My initial impressions :
Road presence - may not be there, but heads do turn for my color Starlight blue
Handling is good, I would not tell the handling as exceptional, but I can manage the bike in all circumstances.
Suspension is good, but the seat is firm!
The bike seems to be great for city commute, I'm yet to take her on the highway.
Beware: The ride height is little lower compared to my RE classic 350 and the bike itself has a low ground clearance, I scrapped the under body on the first day in Chennai's speed breakers and scrapped the side stand when I wanted to take a left turn at an angle, much lesser than what i do on my Classic 350. This made me to realize that the bike has low GC and the side stand stub is more lower.

Now, my 2012 - 80K Kms old classic 350 is still running strong and steady. This bike never let me down, except that I have a clutch cable as a spare in my tool box and i change it if it fails
Noise and Niggles are part and parcel of any bike in this category and we can live with it. We get a good road presence and heads still turn for my classic 350. But no more inquiries at traffic signals. I used to face many questions, wherever I stopped in 2012, but not now, as someone related to everyone has a "Bullet" now

Coming to the interceptor - I have taken a test ride for a short distance and have fallen in love with it. But I did not buy it as my family is not allowing me to take any long distance bike rides. Interceptor is class apart in refinement levels than other RE bikes. If you consider to buy one - BUY IT!!
.HEM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 16:19   #36
BHPian

Quote:

Now I am really confused which one to buy. My primary needs are –
PS: I am not expert in writing, please ignore if there are any mistakes or lack of knowledge.
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 3987
Size:  26.7 KB

I did some rating system based on your needs, I rode all of these in past few months and I do own a Interceptor. Now I have not rated the maintenance part of the Jawa & Benelli as it is still questionable.

Final verdict according to me-
Interceptor 650 - Hoot to ride, the power and torque is amazing and the handling matches the machine. You can cruise in this at 100-120kmph whole day without a sweat, engine doesn't let you down. You can play around with the rear settings to change the stiffness which suits you. But when it comes to both rider & the pillion comfort this is not so great, the seat has been a major complaint from most of the owners, I still am on the stock seat and I guess my bum has gotten used to it. Forget seating 3 people on this. Do take long test drives when if you are planning on this one. This is a very heavy bike too when it is not on move.

Jawa 42 - The looks are gorgeous and does look like it is a modern Jawa. Engine is from Mojo, it was a good motor, won't have complains on this. Handling is good but after 80 the bike does feel in need of some power, maybe its cause I am used to the 650's power. Handling is decent. The seat length wise is shorter doubt you can fit 3 people on this. If power is not what you want this is definitely a good contender.(keeping aside the waiting period) Another bike with twin exhausts.

Bullet 350 - Tried and tested motor, this is the bike which got RE back in the game. Can easily sit 3 people and the seat comfort is good but high speed handling is tough due to this. Power is fine till 80 but this struggles past it, would advice check out the classic 500 if you feel the power is less. And absolutely anyone can fix this bike, if ever you are stranded, but it is known for few niggles. Do wait for BS6 and see the updates before finalizing.

Imperiale 400 - The motor is so refined and the exhaust note is quite unique. But it lacks the 6th gear for highway cursing. This has the Spring seat like the classic which is very comfortable and can seat 3. Handles better and looks modern, only complaint is about the after sales we don't know how this will plan out in future but Benelli are adding many service centers so you can try this out.

To sum it up, if you want power go for INT 650, if you want looks its the JAWA, if you want everything easy on the pocket its the Bullet and if you want to try something new and unique it is the Imperiale 400.

Last edited by amrutmhatre90 : 17th December 2019 at 16:22.
amrutmhatre90 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 15:52   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Why haven't you looked at the RE Himalayan? I own one for the past 13 months and am extremely happy with it!
Thanks for your inputs friend.
I heard its a damn good bike but it doesn't suit my taste. It has moto-sport type bike stance which I don't want. I am a family person, so would be riding with my wife or kids sometimes, surely wife wont like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Bangalore and Pune are the bike capitals, and I see a Jawa very rarely. Of late, the Interceptor seems to be everywhere. So no prizes for guessing which is more popular. Personally, I liked the Interceptor a lot.
+1. Most people here inclined towards Interceptor which is just amazing. Never knew that it's so popular. Planning long test drive with it now. Let's see how it suits me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .HEM View Post
I won a RE classic 350 and Jawa 42, just a week old.

I took delivery of my Jawa 42, on last Saturday! so far have clocked 150 Kms. My initial impressions :
Road presence - may not be there, but heads do turn for my color Starlight blue
Wow man! You got both bikes. Thanks for details, certainly very helpful for me, specially for deciding on Jawa 42. How you find acceleration of Jawa 42 copared to others? How easy it is to ride in city traffic?
Classic fits the bill actually but it has become too common now. Every corner you can spot few, yesterday I can see 4 at the same signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post

[left]I did some rating system based on your needs, I rode all of these in past few months and I do own a Interceptor. Now I have not rated the maintenance part of the Jawa & Benelli as it is still questionable.
That's awesome analysis. I did something similar based on my requirements but my points where little different. All 3 bikes are getting somewhat similar points. Jawa 42 scores more on exclusivity, new entrant, finish etc. while Interceptor mainly scores high on punchy ride for me. Classic 350 has all good except too common on roads factor going against it mainly.

Now test rides holds the key for me. Planning to ride all bikes for at least 4-5 kms to get the feel.

Last edited by aniketi : 18th December 2019 at 15:54.
Old 18th December 2019, 16:08   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs friend.
I heard its a damn good bike but it doesn't suit my taste. It has moto-sport type bike stance which I don't want. I am a family person, so would be riding with my wife or kids sometimes, surely wife wont like it.

Of all the bikes you have shortlisted, the himalayan will be THE most comfortable for single, two up or with kids. Choose any combo.

It is directly on the other end of the spectrum of the so called "moto sport" type of bike in looks, character, set up, and performance.

It is probably the best "family" bike available today all things considered.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 17:08   #39
BHPian

Quote:

Wow man! You got both bikes. Thanks for details, certainly very helpful for me, specially for deciding on Jawa 42. How you find acceleration of Jawa 42 copared to others? How easy it is to ride in city traffic?
Classic fits the bill actually but it has become too common now. Every corner you can spot few, yesterday I can see 4 at the same signal.
I zoom away in my Jawa 42, when the traffic signal turns green, while others stare It will easily win hands down in the city compared to classic 350.
.HEM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 06:40   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I heard that Interceptor is a petrol guzzler. Is that true? My friend said it gives around 15 kmpl in city traffic which is very low. I am not average conscious guy but don't want to burn my money so easily as well. 350, Jawa I guess gives around 35 KMPL which is very much in acceptable range.
I should clear your doubts about the area of FE: I suggest, You shouldn't worry about it because.

1. You are not buying the bike for daily commute especially restricted to the city. ( interceptor could return low FE than Jawa since it's a twin)

2. The interceptor is a surprisingly efficient bike with 30+ easily achieved on the highway. Many riders in our group report 35+ consistently.
sureshkishore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 09:42   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
I own continental GT 650, and i can tell you, the bike gives you a smile everytime you ride, the engine is fantastic and there are no vibrations or whatsoever, brakes are amazing with a nice bite. The same thing applies to interceptor. Service cost is 2500₹ per service once a year. Bike is giving me fuel economy of 30 kmpl approx, parts are a little bit expensive but it's a 650 cc bike.
Did you just mention the service cost as 2500 per service only once a year? Doesnt the service take place like every 3 months or so?

In case its an annual exercise just like my car, the annual service cost of your GT 650 is less than annual service cost of my Activa 5G !
Old 19th December 2019, 10:14   #42
KPR
BANNED

My first choice would be to buy a Himalayan-BS4/TB500/B500 used ones at less than 1.2L. Even a honda CBR 250 is an excellent buy at close to 90K. Why I say this? Coming from driving a car, one is not sure how often you will need a bike. Next is the type of road you need to ride. In India riding bike above 80 kmph in a proper highway is a risk. All the above mentioned choices can go at 80 kmph without issues. When I was in similar situation 6 months back, ended up getting a used TB500 to satiate my biking pleasure. I couldn't find good Himalayan so ended up with this one. Needless to say I'm quite happy that I've saved lakhs upfront. Today I can say that I'm still a 75% car guy rather than a biker. So be sane on your purchase and not to become impulsive. Have you TD-ed SR150? It's a cracker too.

Last edited by KPR : 19th December 2019 at 10:18.
Old 19th December 2019, 20:10   #43
BHPian

After going through the entire thread, it's evident that you have set your heart on the Jawa 42. As you said doesn't score much in road presence, but definitely turns head. The Matt finish colors give it "Modern yet classy" kind of character. Here's what I would suggest you to do. Book the Jawa right away, it has a mammoth/monstrous waiting period. If you are lucky, Royal Enfield might launch the next gen classic/bullet 350/500. And after the interceptor, I am hopeful that RE will not disappoint. If you are in a hurry, go for the Bullet 350 ES X, as the interceptor does seem an overkill for your requirements. Cheers
Old 4th January 2020, 16:26   #44
BHPian

Hi did you take a decision yet? Am in your shoes and am looking to replace my 8 year old avenger soon. I looked at few used thunderbird but did not like any. The one I liked the guy changed his mind at the last minute. I may be one of the few guys who likes the Thunderbird more than the Interceptor as even after 8 years it has tremendous road presence and dwafs everything this side of 2 lacs. My only concern about buying a new Thunderbird is that it's about to get discontinued soon and I hate what the new one looks like especially in spy pics.The engine on the interceptor is a gem though. Very Triumph like.
I had suggested earlier, why don't you look at a pre owned Harley Davidson superlow ? There are some amazing deals on the used market and you will get all the visual and audio presence you will ever need.

Last edited by Hamza123 : 4th January 2020 at 16:28.
Old 6th January 2020, 16:13   #45
Senior - BHPian

I don't get how some people on this thread are recommending Enfield Bullet over Jawa for "road presence" ... ?

Every Tom, Dick and Harry these days roams on the Bullet - there is nothing exclusive left about this shape any longer.

Most Viewed