Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2019, 12:02   #1
BHPian

LiFePO4 battery for Two-Wheelers (Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery)

Hi MotorHeads,

This is my first post on TeamBHP and its about the LiFePO4 batteries. It stands for Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery. One cell can hold up to 3 V and 6000 Mah, so bigger cells are produced by connecting them in series or parallel as per requirement of V and AH.

It is good for a motor vehicle for the following reasons:

1. Environment friendly, recyclable, non-toxic.

2. Much higher number of life cycle (charge and discharge cycle), some 3000 is claimed by manufacturers, it will last longer than LiIon and Lead Acid.

3. Self discharge is far less. I mean you can use the self start even if your bike was lying idle for more than 12 months.

4. Plug and Play, No maintenance at all.

5. Much safer than Li-ion, never blasts. Under extreme conditions might release smoke, that's it.

6. Compact and Lighter than Lead Acid, can fit anywhere in your bike.

7. Vibration doesn't matter.

***So what can go wrong ?

1. Bit expensive. On Ali Express a 12 Ah would cost around 9 to 10K INR.

2. Well, its electronic, and needs a BMS (battery management System) to run. A bms protects the batteries from overcharging and over discharging. However, the bms may give up too often. Once that's gone, your bike will be dead.

*** I spoke to two persons who imports LiFePO4 batteries and assembles here in India.

As per them, a 12V 10AH would weigh around 2KG and is smaller than a standard 8AH lead acid battery. Will have 2000+ life cycles.

However my friend from Hyderabad mentioned that he used one in Apache 160 and had to replace the BMS more than twice. While my friend from Pune is still using it in his Scooty, running fine and for classic 350 he suggested 12V 12MAH.

***Take away,

Though its worth giving it a try, my personal opinion never favors electronic parts. I am using a 9Ah tata VRLA battery in my 2013 BS III Classic 350 instead of the factory recommended 14AH Lead Acid. Reduced the weight by 2 KG and its working just fine during the 2nd week also.

In fact, you can also use a 5AH battery on your bullet (not EFI) if you always use the kickstarter. In case you wanna build one at home, remember Series connection increases the V and a Parallel increases the AH.

Lovely Learning

MechPrasad

Last edited by GTO : 9th December 2019 at 09:49. Reason: Post edited for grammar, typos and removed unwanted spaces. Please take your time to type the posts. Thanks.
MechPrasad is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 7th December 2019, 13:10   #2
BHPian

re: LiFePO4 battery for Two-Wheelers (Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery)

Thanks for the information, I have a few questions though.

1.Can you please share a few photos of this battery?
2. 2000 charge/discharge cycle is more than similar Lithium Ion battery?
3. No local make available ? - like Amaron or Exide?
Old 7th December 2019, 14:36   #3
BHPian

Hi ss80,

1.Have attached the pic, black one is from ali express and the blue one from pune.

2. Yes, Li ion gives below 2000 cycles and with time looses capacity to hold charge, Lifepo4 gives 2500, claimed higher than that.

3. No well known battery brand has yet started manufacturing for motorcycles.
Attached Thumbnails
LiFePO4 battery for Two-Wheelers (Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery)-14b4motorcyclebattery12v14ahlifepo4lithiumphosphateionbuiltinbsmboardhighperformance.jpg_960x960.jpg  

LiFePO4 battery for Two-Wheelers (Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery)-12velectricbikebattery12v14ahlithiumbatterypack12v14000mahlithiumionbatterywith12.jpg_640x640q70.jpg  

MechPrasad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 21:07   #4
BHPian

I don't see a big improvement over Normal batteries. Is lighter weight your primary goal or is it better life-cycle or low self discharge or is the better tech appealing to the nerd inside you? If all of the above things matter to you, it may make some sense
Old 7th December 2019, 23:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
I don't see a big improvement over Normal batteries. Is lighter weight your primary goal or is it better life-cycle or low self discharge or is the better tech appealing to the nerd inside you? If all of the above things matter to you, it may make some sense

What else better would you expect from a motorcycle battery?

A lead acid 9AH weighs 3100gm, a 14Ah weighs 5000+ gm, the Lifepo4 on Ali express weighs less than 1000gm.

Leave it idle for 1 yr and yet you can use the self start.

Last almost 3 times over the lead acid (claimed).

Mate, you have got to explain the term improvement your way I believe.
Old 7th December 2019, 23:29   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechPrasad View Post
Mate, you have got to explain the term improvement your way I believe.
You intend to reduce weight of the motorcycle by changing battery, understandable.. but on a RE??

If the bike is a daily driver, self discharge rate is irrelevant, that's why I asked what's the main goal. If it is a once in a month breakfast ride kind of usage this makes sense.

In case the goal is to have a fix it-forget it kind of reliability, again this proposal defeats the purpose as you've yourself said that the charging controller is unreliable.

Last edited by gauravanekar : 7th December 2019 at 23:31.
Old 8th December 2019, 07:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechPrasad View Post
Hi ss80,
1.Have attached the pic, black one is from ali express and the blue one from pune.
Bit confused, the picture you sent -the black one says on the body it is Lithium Ion. Am I missing something?
Old 8th December 2019, 15:48   #8
BHPian

Re: LiFePO4 battery for Two-Wheelers (Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Bit confused, the picture you sent -the black one says on the body it is Lithium Ion. Am I missing something?

Yeh, I was too. But the description on ali express mentioned that its lifepo4. Actually there are many over there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks