Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2019, 12:38   #31
BHPian

re: Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by amods View Post
This looks amazing. But, for practicality, I would not buy a 1L scooter(still unsure) knowing that I can only charge it at home every 80kms. My office has e-charging facility, but only for cars. Convenient public charging is still a distant dream. The range needs to be in extent of 150 in real world scenario to push people like me towards E-scooters.
If home charging can be setup, range would not be an issue for majority of users IMO. As Ather revealed recently based on Ather 450 customers usage, 96% of charging is being done at home even with free charging available at Ather grid. For people whose daily usage is less than 40 KMs and does not travel long distances on 2 wheelers can easily manage with home charging alone. I believe majority of 2 wheeler usage will comes under this category.

Also, many households have two 2-wheelers. They can easily switch one of their vehicles (older model) to electric while keeping the other petrol one to keep the range anxiety in check.
sri_tesla is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 12:44   #32
BHPian

The 90-100km range is fair enough. I think I can live with that daily, its the least I can do for the environment. People here talking about how bad the range is when they barely travel 20km a day. To put it into perspective, the total length of the Mumbai-Pune expressway is 94km. That means the Chetak can literally cover the entire expressway! Anything longer and I would probably take my car.

Understand that scooters are for local/urban commute and not inter-city commute. Another example being a Mumbaikar is the size of Mumbai. From end to end that is from Dahisar toll Naka to the tip of Colaba is 85km. Now ponder on that when realizing the fact that most people use scooters only to travel within a 10-20km radius from their homes.

Had Bajaj given a bigger battery, people would start complaining of how much more expensive it would be to buy or how much more time it would take to charge. It's a scenario where your head is always going to break, no matter if you fall forwards or backward. IMO, its a home run for Bajaj. Ather should be worried.

Last edited by Starfire : 17th October 2019 at 12:50.
Starfire is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 12:48   #33
BHPian

My father's Activa is nearly 15 years old and I was looking for a replacement. I did consider Ather but they do not have service centres in Mysore. That is where my parents live. That was something of a deal breaker. I'd made up my mind to pick up the Access but Bajaj has now forced me to do a rethink. The Chetak looks stunning. Their service centre network has a good reach. At 1.1 lakhs, it sounds like a reasonably good deal.
satishv1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 12:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

This is the first electric scooter which looks mainstream, and elegant.
I hope this succeeds in the market.

I learnt riding on a Chetak, seeing the brand re-emerge from it's grave is nostalgic.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 13:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

More detailed review is out. By far the snazziest scooter in the segment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
First impression, looks like a proper full sized scooter.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 13:35   #36
BHPian

The range claimed by Bajaj is said to be real world. They say that the claimed range of 85-90 kms is derived from real world testing in city traffic of Pune I guess. They further say that the range after ARAI testing could be more than what they claim.

Looks good as well. I think this would be a turning point in the scooter segment.

Thanks
Aakarsh
Aakarsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 14:56   #37
BHPian

Chetak is an impressive looking scooter, Kudos to Bajaj for getting it right. Through my interactions with colleague and friends, most of them liked it and few even joked saying that the design looks a copy of Vespa, only slightly bulkier. Would be surprised if they price it below 1L? Any news/rumor so far around the price?

It would be interesting to see how things pan out going forward, as Tork has recently received a big leg from Ratan Tata.

One thing is for sure, we the users will be spoilt for choices soon.
Maverick0986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 14:57   #38
Team-BHP Support

Does anyone know if the battery is removable for charging at home? While a lot of B cities have own homes, I feel there is a good opportunity for this in places where people mostly live in apartment complexes and public charging points in the building are a hassle.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 15:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Does anyone know if the battery is removable for charging at home? While a lot of B cities have own homes, I feel there is a good opportunity for this in places where people mostly live in apartment complexes and public charging points in the building are a hassle.
No, it does not have removable battery. I get your point, that's the major detarrant for urban population who live in apartment.
Old 17th October 2019, 16:34   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
No, it does not have removable battery. I get your point, that's the major detarrant for urban population who live in apartment.
Not to mention the Majority that don't have even a proper designated Parking Spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Things I've decoded / gathered from the videos and pictures of Chetak so far..

... No telescopic front shocks but a setup like Activa
Not exactly, the Activa is supended from both sides, this one is single sided.

Last edited by aah78 : 17th October 2019 at 18:35. Reason: Posts merged.
payeng is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 16:44   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Pratap Bose of TATA design calls it a "Sad day for Indian Design"

Source
Hah!

And what's the story behind this:
Name:  Annotation 20191017 163935.png
Views: 2843
Size:  39.1 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Quote:
The digital display shows a neutral light as well as what appears to be five notches – which may be for the five gears.
Source
I can't imagine they'd invest in adding a gearbox, that too a 5-speed one - especially since they already have a 4 kW electric motor.

Sounds like some marketing trickery to me.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 16:52   #42
MMV
BHPian

After drooling over the looks and happy with re-entry of Chetak (Which like many, was the first vehicle in our family) I dialled up Bajaj Pro-biking showroom in Mumbai asking about launch. The person responded that they are yet to get an update on launch but is most likely going to be in 2020.
In fact we were planning to buy a scooter this month, would have loved to opt for Chetak electric, seems like we will have to wait or give it a pass for now.
MMV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 17:08   #43

First off, kudos to Bajaj for reviving the name Chetak from the ashes. It would surely draw attention in the mass market just for the name. Hope this new product would live up to the legend that the old scooter was. but, i was wondering as to why more manufacturers are not opting the removable battery pack way of design. Is it because of warranty issues or am i missing something?
Old 17th October 2019, 17:26   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
My father's Activa is nearly 15 years old and I was looking for a replacement. I did consider Ather but they do not have service centres in Mysore. That is where my parents live. That was something of a deal breaker. I'd made up my mind to pick up the Access but Bajaj has now forced me to do a rethink. The Chetak looks stunning. Their service centre network has a good reach. At 1.1 lakhs, it sounds like a reasonably good deal.
Even Bajaj may not have service centre for Chetak in Mysuru to begin with. and sales will start Jan next year only. Take this too into account

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
on a Chetak, seeing the brand re-emerge from it's grave is nostalgic.
That nostalgic feeling is what Bajaj is trying to cash in on with the Chetak!
Old 17th October 2019, 17:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMV View Post
After drooling over the looks and happy with re-entry of Chetak (Which like many, was the first vehicle in our family) I dialled up Bajaj Pro-biking showroom in Mumbai asking about launch. The person responded that they are yet to get an update on launch but is most likely going to be in 2020.
In fact we were planning to buy a scooter this month, would have loved to opt for Chetak electric, seems like we will have to wait or give it a pass for now.
Buy a decent used Activa/Jupiter, wait until Bajaj Chetak proves for itself and is available easily. Sell Activa and switch to Chetak. There should not much loss.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks