Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2019, 15:57   #76
BHPian

Re: Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review

After weighing my options on available engine oil I finally pickup four 1L cans of TOTAL 10W50 API SN & JASO MA2 oil. At Rs 650 per liter I think its the cheapest recommended grade fully synthetic oil available in the market. Got them from a local two-wheeler spares shop who is also a sub dealer for TOTAL lubricants. Got the oil filter from the RE spares counter for Rs 450. My search for SL grade oil ended in futility cause every seller has stock of only SN grade oil, probably the manufacturers have moved on to SN. According to the RE spares guy, 1L oil cans for the Twins will be sold from the spares counter in the near future.

Bought the oil from Sri Prakash Automobiles in Pammal, Chennai.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-total-10w50.jpg

Bought the oil filter from the RE OMR service centre.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-oil-filter.jpg
Torino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 16:21   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

@Torino,
Why the need to change the oil at 3k kms, if you don't mind asking me? I queried the RE engineer at the first service; he suggested to do it at 5k mark.

Asking as I'm just a shy away from the run-in duration of 2k kms.
Old 12th June 2019, 16:37   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
Got the oil filter from the RE spares counter for Rs 450.

Do post a picture of your oil filter, maybe more experienced members can suggest OEM alternatives cause 450/filter is just too much for a stock filter IMHO.

As for Oil's any API rated oil recommended to be used with wet clutch would do just fine, the only reason I mentioned that it is recommended to stick with manufacturer recommended oil was just to set a baseline of understanding as many including myself here use oils that do not comply with the above reasoning at our own risk and it wouldn't be fair for us to recommend the same for someone who is not aware of the possible risks.
Old 13th June 2019, 12:27   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
@Torino,
Why the need to change the oil at 3k kms, if you don't mind asking me? I queried the RE engineer at the first service; he suggested to do it at 5k mark.

Asking as I'm just a shy away from the run-in duration of 2k kms.
Hi Ninja. Initially even I wanted to do oil change at 5000 kms but when I thought about it, oil change at 5000 kms after the 2000 kms run-in period is a tad too long to let the run-in oil to be in there. After the 10000 kms service I plan to get the oil changed every 5000 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Do post a picture of your oil filter, maybe more experienced members can suggest OEM alternatives cause 450/filter is just too much for a stock filter IMHO.
Here goes. Interceptor's oil filter is almost twice the size of my Alto K10's oil filter. Also heard the 650 Twin's front brake pads cost Rs 2500. Suggestions on alternatives are welcome.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-20190612_202117.jpg
Torino is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 09:49   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also heard the 650 Twin's front brake pads cost Rs 2500. Suggestions on alternatives are welcome.
With the Continental GT 535, some owners moved to the brake pads of the Honda CBR 250 (non ABS only!). You apparently need to remove a metal plate / pin from the pads. Let me try to source the part number for you. Ive never tried it but just sharing what other owners have done.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 10:27   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Ive never tried it but just sharing what other owners have done.
How frequent is the change of brake pads? Once in possibly 20-25K? thats like two years of riding ?
The interceptor comes with Brembo Brake Pads so i am fine paying that lil bit extra. Same goes for the chain, Twins come with DID Chain. All these are replacements are due like in two to three years away unless one is careless?
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 11:34   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
How frequent is the change of brake pads? Once in possibly 20-25K? thats like two years of riding ?
The interceptor comes with Brembo Brake Pads so i am fine paying that lil bit extra. Same goes for the chain, Twins come with DID Chain. All these are replacements are due like in two to three years away unless one is careless?
The brake pad life depends entirely on the usage and the operating conditions. It could be 5.000 km or 50,000 km.

Same goes for the chain but in general, regular lubrication will prolong the chain life in all conditions.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 11:40   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here goes. Interceptor's oil filter is almost twice the size of my Alto K10's oil filter. Also heard the 650 Twin's front brake pads cost Rs 2500. Suggestions on alternatives are welcome.
Please consider best available option in quality for brake pads and other critical components, cost effective alternatives can be looked for other non-critical parts. Just to give an example, on my bonnie, i had replaced the rear brake pads with Bullet's and it was exact match. When i had a fall on that bike, the rear brake/tyre had locked. Not blaming the pads, but who knows. So go for the best pads for peace of mind.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 00:20   #84
Senior - BHPian

The classic uses the same size and shape pads as the twins only difference is the quality/material of pads, I Remeber reading the classic brake pads are only about 250-300 Rupees, The twins use Brembo branded pads.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 23:34   #85
BHPian

Finally had the time to change the engine oil and oil filter today. Actually wanted to do this at 2000 kms to get rid of the run-in oil but the search for oil of my choice and weekend family commitments took the ODO reading to the current 3330 kms. Anyways the bike is going good with nothing to complaint and the overall fuel efficiency hovers around 24 kmpl in city riding. Currently the bike is used for office commute twice a week and weekend breakfast rides. The brakes are impressive with progressive bite on smooth tarmac but I feel the pulsing sense of ABS to a be a bit on the higher side. The tyres inspire confidence and control during hard braking and on curves but I feel the bike easily looses its stability at around 10-20 kmph speed when the front tyre is going over the white lines on the road, road gradients and the edge of the road, I think I have to experiment riding on different tyre pressure and find the comfortable setting or may be this has something to do with motorcycle weight and tyre thread pattern? I am not sure but I faintly remember reading somewhere that this thread pattern is not that good on gradient roads. Overall the bike feels smooth, torquey, handles and stops brilliantly on smooth roads.

Odometer reading as of today.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20190622_174236.jpg

Time well spent!
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20190622_152415.jpg

Poured in exactly 3.1L and the oil level was full with the engine turned off.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20190622_171518.jpg

With the engine running the oil level dropped and stayed just above the min level.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20190622_171651.jpg
Torino is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 00:51   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Poured in exactly 3.1L and the oil level was full with the engine turned off.

Personally I directly refill going by the inspection window, fill it to the full mark, start and run engine for a minute or two, after that kill it and let the motorcycle stay put for a minute or two, add more oil until you reach the full mark. Done.

This makes more sense especially since I run Diesel oils now and they usually come in 5L packs, but even if I get a bottle of oil with the exact quantity i.e 1.2L for me, after pouring it in I'd still make sure the level is up to the mark as per the window by idling and letting it rest as mentioned earlier.

Doens't hurt to double check.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 11:10   #87
BHPian

Re: Got new pair of number plates.

Quote:
Replaced the stock number plates with new embossed number plates and frames.
Hi Torino, thanks for this info. I will most likely use the same site when I order my plates. Couple of questions:

1. Which plate did you order (looking for the right size) - if you can share the link pls?
2. Looks like you ordered the plain vanilla plates (no RE logo etc) - any reason why? Are we even allowed to have the RE logo on the plates?
3. Did the plates come without any holes for fixing - so where did you get them fitted?

Thanks.
anshuman_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 12:35   #88
BHPian

Re: Got new pair of number plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
Hi Torino, thanks for this info. I will most likely use the same site when I order my plates. Couple of questions:

1. Which plate did you order (looking for the right size) - if you can share the link pls?
2. Looks like you ordered the plain vanilla plates (no RE logo etc) - any reason why? Are we even allowed to have the RE logo on the plates?
3. Did the plates come without any holes for fixing - so where did you get them fitted?

Thanks.
Hi Anshuman, I ordered these plates. Link.
Simply because I prefer plain plates and I liked the UK font. According to law all these fancy font number plates are illegal so does the plates with any logo.
There are no holes in the plates. The plastic frame has holes to fix into the bike. So you have to order both the plates and the frames and you can easily fix it yourself. Probably you can find a video in youtube about how to fix number plate frames.
Torino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 14:05   #89
BHPian

Hi, does anyone know about HSRP plates for two wheelers? My RE dealer has said he expects the number plates from the RTO (I paid extra for a number of my choice), in about a month after the number has been allotted. Would like to know if anyone else has received any HSRP plates, and if so, how much time does it take?

Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd July 2019, 14:20   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
Hi, does anyone know about HSRP plates for two wheelers? My RE dealer has said he expects the number plates from the RTO (I paid extra for a number of my choice), in about a month after the number has been allotted. Would like to know if anyone else has received any HSRP plates, and if so, how much time does it take?

Thanks in advance.
I got it about a month after my bike was delivered. Picked it up today along with the RC card.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks