Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2019, 18:49   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell View Post
Hi Neil, Thanks for pointing this out. I have a quick question about this - Are the foot pegs of the CGT 535 as rear-set as the CGT 650's? If yes, can you please comment on the riding dynamics post the mod? I've tried to get a test ride of a CGT 650 with INT's handlebars from multiple dealers, but none have acceded!
Not sure about whether the footpegs are as aggressive or not. I'll try and compare over the weekend if possible. The reason I went in for a handlebar modification on the Continental GT 535 is that when commuting to work with my laptop on my back, I found the original seating position to be very aggressive. So what I did was put in a KTM handlebar after drilling a couple of holes to mount it. I loved the seating position for the 9 - 10,000 kms that I had it. The upright seating position put little to no pressure on the wrists and the legs were comfortable as well. Then I had a fall and damaged the handlebar and went back to the stock position which I now prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom View Post
Why dont you try Slime for the tires?
Recently a fellow TBHPian sent a picture of a wheel that had Slime on it and trust me, it was not a pleasant sight at all. It looks as though it damages the paint and metal over time. I wouldnt recommend it at all.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 19:08   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
Probably you are right about the clutch wear, shows how much the test ride bikes are taken to their limits in such a short time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The bike I tested was fresh off the block. First test ride from the dealership - so wear and tear of the clutch is quite unlikely. Secondly, I took TD from 4 separate dealerships.
You never know, even the Suzuki Gixxer had clutch issues that were silently taken care of.

Might even be a tacho that's off, or its simply that CD noted the readings while accelerating and Torino noted it while riding at a steady pace, which is not that unlikely.

Lets wait and see!

I know a dude who burnt his clutch right off on his barely used motorcycle in under a 150 km's ride from EKM to KLM.

When I got hold of the motorcycle you could simply put your feet down and let go of the clutch in gear, the motor wouldn't stall and the motorcycle wouldn't budge.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 22nd March 2019 at 19:10. Reason: Removed 3rd Smiley!
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 11:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
As for Speed vs RPM, with more clutch wear speed per RPM reduces i.e the motor would be doing more revs to attain similar speeds.
So moment there is some wear the clutch will start slipping even when fully engaged?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 23rd March 2019, 13:30   #19
BANNED

Re: Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
So moment there is some wear the clutch will start slipping even when fully engaged?

Regards
Sutripta
Can't say for certain due to the unknown variables present(a major one being QC), then at the same time you can't say otherwise as well.

Hence all we can do is wait.

Cheers,
A.P.
Old 23rd March 2019, 14:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Asking because yours seemed to be a general statement linking clutch wear with clutch slippage. Is it?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 23rd March 2019, 14:54   #21
BANNED

Quote:
^^^
Asking because yours seemed to be a general statement linking clutch wear with clutch slippage. Is it?

Regards
Sutripta
Yup that is true.

Speed v/s RPM is one of the most common indicators of clutch wear, a more definite one being load test where we put maximum load on the clutch and observe for the RPM to shoot up which confirms that the clutch is slipping.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 23rd March 2019 at 14:55.
Old 23rd March 2019, 15:20   #22
BHPian

Nice report. I'm not generally a fan of RE and its retro pandering designs but have to admit this one is a looker. Saw quite a few of them on roads already and they are attractive.

The only thing which bothers me is the rear view where twin exhausts extend wider out little too much for my taste and the gap not uniform between both sides. Can't avoid not seeing it once seen.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 16:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Question was not how to check for clutch slippage, but relationship between wear and slippage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Yup that is true.
So we come back to -
in general as the clutch wears, it will start slipping? The more the wear the more the slippage. A little bit of wear will cause a little bit of slippage. And slippage will keep increasing with increasing wear
Is that right?

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 23rd March 2019 at 16:10.
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 18:08   #24
BANNED

Quote:
in general as the clutch wears, it will start slipping?
The more the wear the more the slippage. A little bit of wear will cause a little bit of slippage. And slippage will keep increasing with increasing wear
Is that right?
The clutch being a consumable I find it hard to give you a binary answer, but I'll try my best.

Quote:
in general as the clutch wears, it will start slipping?
I say Yes because, the clutch transfers power from the motor to the transmission and as the friction material wears down and its thickness goes beyond a certain threshold the clutch starts to progressively slip until the point where you could put the motorcycle in 5th gear in standstill and release clutch which would still not result in the motorcycle stalling.

I say No (period) because, while still within the threshold once engaged the clutch would not slip unless provoked, either by disengaging the clutch or by transferring more torque than what the clutch at hand is rated for.

Why am I uncertain about a consumable?

Well, rate of deterioration depends on use.

So if I give you a definitive 'Yes' then you tell me your motorcycle has been showing consistent Speed vs RPM figures for the past decade.

But when I give a definite 'No' someone like the person I've mentioned before shares a similar story of his clutch progressively deteriorated within the span of a few hours.

Hope that settles it.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 18:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

^^^
So there is a threshold, a wear limit beyond which one can expect clutch slippage. OK otherwise. Great.
Clutch slippage (in general) from day 2 would have been problematic.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 23rd March 2019 at 18:50.
Old 24th March 2019, 14:14   #26
BHPian

First Free Service and fuel efficiency:
The first free service went well without any complaints. Made the appointment a day before and reached the OMR Brand Store service center in Chennai at 8:00am. Saw the ‘90min Service’ sign board but was skeptical after hearing the RE service quality in general and set my expectations level to average. The ODO read 480kms at the time when the service advisor opened the e-job card in his Tablet. I had no complaints on the bike so the usual engine oil, oil filter and chain clean/lube was done apart from the routine washing, checking, fastening, greasing and test ride. Since it’s the first free service and there is nothing wrong with the bike in the first place, I insisted that I want the bike asap and stayed at the customer lounge which has a good WiFi connection and comfortable waiting area and got busy with work on my laptop. The mechanic for the 650 twins was late so got back the bike at 11:30am, took a quick test ride and felt everything was ok and made the payment and left the place. Total service cost was Rs2723. Overall service experience was quick, clean and friendly. My usage so far is confined within the city and overall fuel efficiency from tank full to tank full method hovers around 25-26kmpl.

The service center opens at 7:00am and the receiving area was almost full by the time I reached at 8:00am.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_8605.jpg

ODO reading at the time of service. Next service at 5000kms.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_8610.jpg

Current ODO reading.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_9568.jpg

Bill.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_8619.jpg

3M Paint Protection Film:
Initially enquired with few 3M car care centers but none of them work on motorcycles. My brother recommended Carspark in OMR, quickly called them and enquired the price and fixed an appointment, got the 3M PPF done on the tank and the two side panels for a total cost of Rs 5,000 incl tax. The total cost includes Rs 500 per sq ft for 3M PPF, complete foam wash, preparing the tank and side panels and labor charges. The fuel tank filler cap was removed for easy application and the PPF was traced over the tank and cut into three pieces for effective application over the curved surface of the tank. The whole procedure took 3 hrs and the final result was good.

The bike is prepared for the PPF application.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-1.jpg

The application process.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-21.jpg

Final outcome.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-photo20190303135237_1.jpg

Not easily visible from certain angle and distance.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-dsc_0472.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-dsc_0492.jpg

Closer look.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_3212g.jpg
Torino is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 15:48   #27
BHPian

That's one detailed report Torino. I'm surprised to see no one complaining about the heat shield less exhaust muffler. I managed to burn my Calf after my very first test ride.

Also saw burnt rubber sole markings on the TD vehicles at a RE event. How I wish my kid doesn't come close to the bike after it has just been parked.

Second your thoughts on the size of the exhaust and the ugly mudguard and saree guard combo.

Happy riding!
Oranger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 18:53   #28

Excellent Review Tonino, with high level of details in pics. Congratulations on your bull!
avjinder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 19:11   #29
BHPian

Isn't the second service at 10,000 kilometers?
Old 24th March 2019, 19:49   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
3M Paint Protection Film:
Any clue how much a new tank costs?

Got curious as the Pulsar tanks used to cost as much as the PPF you've put on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks