Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2022, 22:22   #241
BHPian

Re: Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post

I'm planning to go in for the Way2Speed setup for now in the hope that I can be relieved of my puncture fears. If you can connect me to someone/ or dm the contact of someone who has installed this it would help me understand their feedback and review on the product.

Once I do the tubeless conversion I can start planning for other mods on the bike.
-Starting with moving to Motul 7100 after i clock 5k on this round of Liquid Gun
-CR Windshield (wonder if it will spoil the looks and if it's really required?)
-Relay replacement Denso Toyota (required?)
- Minus LED headlight (will it improve lighting?)
-FlashX module
-Fog lights (cheaper options than Maddog?)
-Fuel X Pro
-Powerage or AEW 201 (i like the straight pipes better - never seen them in the flesh though - any thoughts?)
-K&N / DNA air filter (rainproof?)
-Powertronics

But all these mods will be pointless if I'm stuck on the road with a flat tyre.
Am I prioritizing this tubeless bit too much?
Go for Dismotech 17 inch tubeless spoked aluminum rims, you get to keep the retro look while also enjoying the benefits of tubeless tyres and the plethora of tyres options for 17 inch rims. Not sure about the cost but I think they're around 18,000-20,000 for a full set and fit perfectly with the stock hubs.

A few days ago I asked BHPian @CarManMotorcycl on how his Dismotech aluminum rims that he installed on his Continental GT around September 2021 were holding up and other than some paint coming off the rims are structurally good. Link to that conversation. (17" wheels conversion on my Royal Enfield Interceptor 650)

(Will post pictures and/or links for each part I mention)

The Carbon Racing windshield is your call, if you use your bike for Touring or long rides then the CR windshield is one of the best. If not you can get away with something smaller like the OEM Royal Enfield Flyscreen.

FlashX Hazard module, Fuel X Pro and Powertronic are all worth it IMO.

Maddog auxiliary/fog lamps are the cheapest I would go, anything cheaper and you're wandering into El Cheapo territory.

A good pair of stainless steel slip-on exhausts from reputed brands like AEW, Red Rooster Performance or Powerage cost about 16,000-18,000 but if it's performance you're after and can spend 4000-6000 more I'd get the SS Moto 2x1 full system exhaust, these save about 15kg of weight (compared to 4-5kg with slip-ons) and stay below the legal DB limit if you leave the DB Killers in. Before this if you wanted to get a full system 2x1 exhaust for the 650 twins you had to import the TecBikeParts Stinger exhaust (UK) or the S&S Qualifier 2x1 exhaust (USA) with the final landing cost in India being 55,000-60,000 and 1,05,000-1,15,000 respectively. But with SS Moto a quality full system stainless steel set can be had for as low as 22,000.

If you're getting a K&N/DNA/BMC air filter for the Royal Enfield 650 Twins then you should consider getting a Stage 2 air filter plate, the official one from DNA cost about 2,750 but a similar one that serves the same function can be had for 900 from N-Gage Powerparts for 900.

Dismotech Instagram page or on you can contact them on whatsapp -> 9865655989

N-Gage Powerparts Stage 2 Air Filter plate for RE 650 Twins BikeNBiker sells the N-Gage stage 2 air filter plate with the DNA or BMC air filter as an additional extra but they don't seem to carry K&N filter for thee 650 Twins.

SS Moto 2x1 full system stainless steel exhaust kit (Short) Rs 22,000

SS Moto 2x1 full system stainless steel exhaust kit (Long) Rs 24,000
Attached Thumbnails
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-presentation1_page0001.jpg  

GreasyCarb55 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 11:37   #242
BHPian

Quote:
..CEATs are not tubeless like the Pirellis. I think the rear is tubeless and not the front. Correct me if I am wrong.
Unfortunately both the front and rear Ceat Zoom Cruz are not tubeless. One last resort is the MRF Zapper Y 130/70/18H tubeless tyre which comes on the Honda H'ness 350. Sadly other than the exorbitantly priced Pirelli's there isn't any tubeless front tyre in the market with the required size and speed rating.

Quote:
I am surprised that despite moving to a 17-inch setup you didn't choose to go the tubeless way
For me these tubeless conversion kits aren't absolute peace of mind, atleast until now, may be because I wasn't too serious about it. For slightly better puncture resistance I chose harder compound 17'' tyres; Ceat Zoom XL over the Apollo Alpha H1 for the front and Apollo Alpha S1 over the Alpha H1 for the rear. Also I rarely do any long rides so tubeless conversion wasn't a priority for me. So far I've been lucky to have just one puncture in the last 7500 kms since the 17'' wheels conversion.

Quote:
I'm planning to go in for the Way2Speed setup for now in the hope that I can be relieved of my puncture fears. If you can connect me to someone/ or dm the contact of someone who has installed this it would help me understand their feedback and review on the product.
Like I mentioned in the previous post, you can get in touch with bhpian aravind.anand he's been using the way2speed tubless conversion kit for the last 2 year in his Interceptor.

Quote:
Once I do the tubeless conversion I can start planning for other mods on the bike.
-Starting with moving to Motul 7100 after i clock 5k on this round of Liquid Gun
-CR Windshield (wonder if it will spoil the looks and if it's really required?)
-Relay replacement Denso Toyota (required?)
- Minus LED headlight (will it improve lighting?)
-FlashX module
-Fog lights (cheaper options than Maddog?)
-Fuel X Pro
-Powerage or AEW 201 (i like the straight pipes better - never seen them in the flesh though - any thoughts?)
-K&N / DNA air filter (rainproof?)
-Powertronics

But all these mods will be pointless if I'm stuck on the road with a flat tyre.
Am I prioritizing this tubeless bit too much?
Nice list of mods.
-CR Windshield. I used the first gen CR windshield for over 10k kms and does the job really well for the price but now I've removed it since it's looks has started to bother me, but will definitely reinstall when the need comes for longer rides and it just takes 10mins to reinstall. The latest second gen CR windshield has improved built quality and design.

-Relay replacement Denso Toyota. Go for it for the peace of mind. Relay failure is reported in 650 twins irrelevant of manufacturing year/batch.
- Minus LED headlight. My 2 cents, you can retain the stock halogen headlight for its superior illumination over LED during rain and wet road riding and invest in high quality AUX lights.
-Powerage or AEW 201. I've ridden on both exhausts. The AEW 201 peashooters definitely look great on the Interceptor but the Powerage sounds better/pleasing for me especially in cruising speeds above 80kmph.
-K&N / DNA air filter (rainproof?). Rain is a real problem. Conical air filters that fit directly on to the air intake are a big no. There is a higher chance of rain water entering the airfilter box if you eliminate the OEM air intake snorkel. You can clearly see how carefully the OEM snorkel is designed to keep every bit of rain water from entering the airbox. May be you can simply reinstall the OEM snorkel during monsoon seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
Go for Dismotech 17 inch tubeless spoked aluminum rims, you get to keep the retro look while also enjoying the benefits of tubeless tyres and the plethora of tyres options for 17 inch rims. Not sure about the cost but I think they're around 18,000-20,000 for a full set and fit perfectly with the stock hubs.
Dismotech's 17'' tubeless spoked Aluminum rims cost Rs 36k a pair when I checked 2 months back and their standard 17'' spoked Aluminum rims cost just over 20k a pair. I've clocked around 7000 kms with the Dismotech 17'' Aluminum spoked rims and other than paint chipping the rims are doing fine. I'd love to get those tubeless spoked rims may be next year after looking at few long term user feedbacks.
Torino is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 14:26   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Recently, Ive heard some bad feedback on Dismotech's tubeless aluminum rims. The wheels were sent for truing but it was wobbling like anything. I really wouldnt recommend Dismotech's rims until they can prove themselves in the market. Those prices arent cheap, either!
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 16:37   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Recently, Ive heard some bad feedback on Dismotech's tubeless aluminum rims. The wheels were sent for truing but it was wobbling like anything. I really wouldnt recommend Dismotech's rims until they can prove themselves in the market. Those prices arent cheap, either!
I genuinely don’t get why people buy from these guys!!! You have OEM options available in the market… today… similarly or even better priced.

A reasonable priced Rear aluminium rim that can accommodate a 140 / 150 tyre : Java perak. My friend was able to source it within a couple of weeks

Front aluminium rim - you have options from RCB and excel, depending on your budget. I would honestly suggest just talking the Himalayan’s rear rim and plonking it on the front on the inty. It’s a 200 plus kilo bike. How much would a difference of 1.5 kg (between aluminium and steel rims) make… honestly!

Ps - not looking forward to any gyan on unsprung weight. The price simply doesn’t justify any performance gains (not usually discernible to us mere mortals)
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 19:15   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Whoa, thats a serious concern. Hope these guys do proper R&D and testing with those tubeless spoke rims before selling to anymore customers.

Update:
The motorcycle has clocked 27,300kms and went for service at Kick Start Garage. Last service and oil change was done at 19,400 kms. Bought replacement parts from the RE dealership spares counter. Initial thought was to go for Motul 7100 but Castrol Power1 Ultimate was available at an irresistible price of Rs575 per liter in Amazon. Replaced the fuel filter as per the periodic maintenance chart.

Job done:
1.Engine oil
2.Oil filter
3.Air filter
4.Fuel filter
5.Clutch cable
6.Chain adjustment
7.Throttle cable freeplay adjustment
8.Brake fluid check
9.Axle bolt torque
10.Steering stem nut torque

Chain sprocket set needs replacement since the axle adjustment is at its max limit. Rolon brass chain & sprocket kits looks like a good option, not sure how much the DID will cost, must get the spark plugs changed as well.

Got the parts from local RE dealership spares counter
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img20220805wa0029.jpg

Used 3 liters of Castrol and 100ml of Total for that 3.1L capacity
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img20220805wa0030.jpg

Last edited by Torino : 5th August 2022 at 19:18.
Torino is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 13:56   #246
BHPian

Had a nice Sunday morning ride last week thanks to the brilliant weather. The chain sprocket set needs replacement since the chain adjustment has reached its max limit. Will go with the RE's OE replacement chain sprocket kit (which I think is same as the stock DID) which costs Rs5300. Rolon Brass (Rs4000) and RK (Rs5200) are other options I've come across. I guess 27,000 kms is a decent life for the stock chain lubricated with with EP90 gear oil.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img20220810wa0005.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img20220810wa0006.jpg

Interceptor's old air filter makes for a fine pen stand.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img20220810wa0007.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img20220810wa0008.jpg
Torino is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 14:39   #247
BHPian

Now that the Hunter 350 is out, has a pair of 17" tubeless alloys that look quite similar to the Meteor 350's, does anyone have a update on whether these might fit the Interceptor 650 ?
Old 10th August 2022, 14:59   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashenoy View Post
Now that the Hunter 350 is out, has a pair of 17" tubeless alloys that look quite similar to the Meteor 350's, does anyone have a update on whether these might fit the Interceptor 650 ?
It is very much possible and soon we should be seeing people swapping Hunter's alloy wheels on the interceptor. Apart from the tubeless advantage, the lack of choice in 18'' tyres in the market will be the main reason for the swap.

Quoting my own post from the RE Hunter thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
The front disc brake is at the opposite side. But since both the Interceptor and the Hunter have same 41mm dia forks. I think it must be possible if the entire front fork, disc, caliper and wheel are swapped. Interceptor's disc size is 320mm compared to Hunter's 300mm. The rear wheel could be a direct fit since the Hunter's wheel looks similar to the Meteor's which is a direct fit on the Interceptor.
Torino is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 10:59   #249
BHPian

Got new helmet! I've always wanted a modern retro helmet to go along with the Interceptor and the RE Panzer riding jacket. Checked the Royal Enfield NH44 helmet at the RE showroom and settled for a white SMK Retro helmet from Phoenix Probiking in Nandanam. Will post more details later.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-smk-retro-re-nh-44-14.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-smk-retro-re-nh-44-1.jpg
Old 24th August 2022, 17:49   #250
BHPian

Pros:
  • Fantastic retro design with some modern features
  • Double D ring lock
  • Comes with Pinlock 70 preinstalled!
  • Anti-microbial treated removable liners with a bit of leather.
  • Provision for wearing sunglasses and helmet goggles
Cons:
  • On the heavier side at 1650g
  • Wind noise
  • Expensive at Rs5.7k. I think 5k is a good price considering the above cons.
  • No tinted visor available at the time of purchase
  • Lack of availability. Especially S size and white color
Picked up the SMK Retro helmet couple of weeks back. My MT Blade SV is getting old but still in decent shape and I wanted something retro to go along with my Interceptor and my Panzer waxed cotton riding jacket. Retro helmets focus on looks and hence key elements such as aerodynamics, comfort and technology take the back seat. The entry level full face retro helmets currently available in the market are the Simpson lookalikes Axor Dominator & Axor Rogue and Bell Bullitt lookalikes Axor Brute & RE Drifter. For me the SMK Retro ticked the right boxes such as looks, good visor visibility, features(pinlock, removable liner) and price. The SMK Retro gets ISI ECE certification and the design is based on a model from the Daytona helmet brand. The same SMK retro helmet is remarketed by Royal Enfield as the NH44 which comes in two variants, ISI DOT & ISI ECE and is cheaper than the SMK by atleast Rs1k. Point to note is the NH44 is only pinlock ready and doesn’t come with any pinlock preinstalled unlike the SMK and that makes the SMK a better value for money helmet. The helmet looks well finished in its classic round shell with nice glittery white paint and circular red accents around the visor holder. The helmet feels well-built, the gap around the visor and the helmet is tight but isn’t flush fitting like a conventional sporty helmet such as MT. The ball bearing loaded visor mechanism feels solid and is a smooth operator. Inner liners is made of a combination of knit, polyester and leather. The helmet comes with a separate set of visor holder covers which along with the rear press button lock flap allows the helmet to be used with ‘helmet goggles’. Initial riding impressions after 150kms, wind noise is on the higher side much higher than my MT Blade thanks to the bunch of vents on the chin which channel a lot of air into the helmet. Visibility is good thanks to the large visor, did not find much difference from the MT. The SMK weighs 1650g compared to my MT’s 1500g with its dual visor setup. Fit and comfort is ok apart for some pain in my ears which should become alright as I run-in the helmet. Bought the helmet from Phoenix Probiking in Nandanam, they are the main distributor and stockist for SMK helmets in Chennai. Overall, I think it’ll be a great helmet for my weekend short rides.

My first retro helmet!
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-interceptor-silver-blitz-650-smk-retro-royal-enfiled-nh44-helmet-4.jpg

I call it ''Retrofication''.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-interceptor-silver-blitz-650-smk-retro-royal-enfiled-nh44-helmet-3.jpg

Bunch of air vents at the bottom induce noise but they atleast keep the rider well ventilated.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-interceptor-silver-blitz-650-smk-retro-royal-enfiled-nh44-helmet-9.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-interceptor-silver-blitz-650-smk-retro-royal-enfiled-nh44-helmet-10.jpg

I like the circular red accents, they add a bit of character to the side without going overboard.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-interceptor-silver-blitz-650-smk-retro-royal-enfiled-nh44-helmet-8.jpg

Clean round shell giving it the classic looks.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-interceptor-silver-blitz-650-smk-retro-royal-enfiled-nh44-helmet-11.jpg

Leather press button flap for holding the helmet goggle.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-interceptor-silver-blitz-650-smk-retro-royal-enfiled-nh44-helmet-7.jpg

Pinlock 70 preinstalled.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-interceptor-silver-blitz-650-smk-retro-royal-enfiled-nh44-helmet-6.jpg

Leather interior! a bit of it but adds to the weight.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-interceptor-silver-blitz-650-smk-retro-royal-enfiled-nh44-helmet-1.jpg

Double D ring lock
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-interceptor-silver-blitz-650-smk-retro-royal-enfiled-nh44-helmet-2.jpg

Other contents in the box. Instructions, visor removal tool & visor holder cover.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-interceptor-silver-blitz-650-smk-retro-royal-enfiled-nh44-helmet-12.jpg

Pinlock 30 vs Pinlock 70
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-interceptor-silver-blitz-650-smk-retro-royal-enfiled-nh44-helmet-5.jpg
Torino is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 15:47   #251
BHPian

Quote:

You know my ordeal about getting them delivered to me. Now I couldn't get them installed yet and seeing your message I gave myself a big facepalm.
Old 12th September 2022, 12:04   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
You know my ordeal about getting them delivered to me. Now I couldn't get them installed yet and seeing your message I gave myself a big facepalm.
Any update on this? Hope you managed to get the rims installed.

Earlier this month the odometer crossed 28,000kms.
Was looking for a pair of retro looking and compact perforated leather riding gloves for my weekend breakfast ride and occasional office commute and after checking the Rynox Air GT, Bikeratti Matador and Royal Enfield in the Rs2500 price bracket, I finally picked up the Shield FUR based on the comfort, built material and looks. Got them from MotoGear Perfromance, Anna Salai. Been using the Shield Fur gloves for the last 200kms including couple of office commutes covering 100kms and I like the comfort, ventilation and grip.

Attaching some pictures from last few Sunday morning short rides.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img20220823wa0063.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img20220912wa0005.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img20220912wa0007.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img20220912wa0006.jpg

Last edited by Torino : 12th September 2022 at 12:08.
Torino is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 13:15   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
… I finally picked up the Shield FUR based on the comfort, built material and looks. Got them from MotoGear Perfromance, Anna Salai. Been using the Shield Fur gloves for the last 200kms including couple of office commutes covering 100kms and I like the comfort, ventilation and grip.
Cool gloves. The gloves look more expensive than the price 2500 suggests. Also, your photo looks more premium than the one in Shield gears.

https://www.shieldgears.com/product-...eld-fur-gloves
amvj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 16:54   #254
BHPian

Crossed 29,000kms and earlier this month the bike went for an unscheduled service to get few wear and tear parts replaced. At around 27,000kms the factory fitted chain & sprocket reached its maximum adjustment limit and started showing signs for replacement. The throttle had become a bit tight, both the throttle cables showed signs of becoming dry and brittle on the outside. The rear brake somehow went from ineffective to non-existence so I got the rear brake caliper replaced. The rear disc plate got a slight bend during the 17inch wheel conversion process thanks to my friendly neighborhood mechanic, so I got it replaced. The list of jobs to be done on the bike could take an entire day, I didn’t want to visit the service center on a weekend (to avoid weekend crowd/don’t want to spend the weekend at the service center) nor do I want to leave the bike at the service center and travel 40kms to and fro to get the bike. During the free services I used to wait for 3 hrs at the RE OMR service center customer lounge and get my bike serviced and ride out. I found the customer lounge to be a fairly comfortable place to mind your business especially on a weekday, so this time I thought of taking my laptop and get my office work done while waiting the entire day. Reached the RE OMR service center at 10am on a Thursday morning, did my office work sitting in the customer lounge, checked on work done with the service advisor whenever I spotted him, got back the bike at 630pm and finally a productive day well spent.

A week later while cleaning the bike I noticed the chain’s outer plates did not have the DID logo like the factory fitted stock chain did. On closer inspection I could see RE logo and RK imprinted on one of the outer plates, not sure if this RK imprint really means the RK chain brand. The service bill clearly says DID chain but anyways I guess there isn’t much difference in quality between DID and RK since both are Japanese.

Service bill from RE OMR service center.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-28k-service-bill.jpg

Replaced parts. That disc plate will make for a nice wall hanging.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img20221021wa0013.jpg

Notice the worn out surface on throttle cables.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img20221021wa0008.jpg

Work from service center.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img20221021wa0002.jpg

Back to B-road frenzy.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img20221005wa0010.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img20221021wa0004.jpg
Old 21st October 2022, 17:09   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

I find the customer lounge at the company service center really good. Did the same 3 years ago when I got the first (and only) service there.

QQ - did you remove the rear view mirrors on purpose? Or I suppose its just temporary.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks