Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2021, 00:38   #181
BHPian

Re: Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review

Had a great early morning ride last last weekend with my buddy on his Street Twin. Perfect weather as it rained on the previous night. Had some fun sliding on the slippery ground trying to get the tail out. Then dropped the bike at slow speed while going through a rut and slippery wet ground, bent rear brake lever, had a laugh, picked up the bike and continued riding, great fun and morning well spent! Had to spend some time later the day, removed the foot peg assembly and straightened the brake lever and its good as new.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211030_07384101.jpeg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211030_07551601.jpeg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-20211030_0820141.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211030_152937.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211030_153449.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211030_165201.jpg

Torino is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 14:44   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
Had some fun sliding on the slippery ground trying to get the tail out.
https://Youtu.be/GNvx3SNgyfY
You'll get a lot of flak for doing this without a Helmet! Get some riding gear now. Your ride is great and you're using it abundantly.

Don't worry, you'll get used to the bulk. Go for it!

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 07:48   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Hi @Torino seems you had great fun on the slush. Just wanted to get an update regarding the suspension lowering kit. I have got mine and going to get them installed today, but I am a little considered about the build. It seems to be made out of machined aluminium from a 6061 series extruded Aluminium alloy, whereas the original is forged steel. Does this worry you? I am going with the installation nevertheless but I would also be looking at either machining out and shortening the original component or somehow get a forged steel part and machine it out to size, but both these options will take some time, till then I am going ahead using the one I got from way2speed.
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 14:19   #184
BHPian

I finally got my suspension lowering kit installed. Now I have a much more planted feel, and turning on foot and pushing while seated is now much improved, very similar to all bikes I have owned in the past. But I am not sure about the build quality and how long this would last, or it poses any safety threat. I am still contemplating machining out the original one to be of same dimension as the new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20211107-15.25.58.jpeg  

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20211107-15.26.09.jpeg  

arpanjha is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 23:18   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
But I am not sure about the build quality and how long this would last, or it poses any safety threat. I am still contemplating machining out the original one to be of same dimension as the new one.
Looks good A bit of google search can tell you that 6061 grade Aluminium is commonly used in making motorcycle parts, especially aftermarket parts such as wheels, sprocket, brake caliper, levers, swingarm, suspension components, handlebar raisers, foot pegs etc. So it should be ok.
Torino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 23:49   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Looks good A bit of google search can tell you that 6061 grade Aluminium is commonly used in making motorcycle parts, especially aftermarket parts such as wheels, sprocket, brake caliper, levers, swingarm, suspension components, handlebar raisers, foot pegs etc. So it should be ok.
Being a castings and design guy, I can say for sure beyond and surpassing Google that 6061 is not the best of Aluminium alloys when it comes to motor parts. Most cast wheels, cast pistons, cast auto parts are not 6061, rather AlSi6 or LM6/LM24 series alloys which have added Silicon to strengthen them post heat treatment.

I am really not sleeping tight after installing these although for the first time my feet are planted.
arpanjha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 16:43   #187
BHPian

The rains in Chennai took a break since last week and yesterday was a great day for an early morning short ride along with fellow Interceptor riders. We rode to Kovalam beach for sunrise and then till Mahabalipuram in ECR road covering 80kms in total. A morning well spent riding and talking motorcycles.

Crossed the 20,000 kms landmark last week. Got the bike serviced last month with 19,400 on the ODO at Kick Start garage and apart from the general service I had to replace the front sprocket, headlight bulb and the front brake pad. Attaching the service bill below. This time around I went for the Castrol Power1 Ultimate 10W50 engine oil. The Vesrah Ceramic brake pads at the front lasted 9000kms and got them replaced with Stock Brembo Sintered pads. I prefer the Vesrah Ceramic pads over the stock pads due to the cost-to-performance ratio but I missed to order one on time. Vesrah brake pads at the rear looked like it still has around 50% life.

I’ve done 800kms with the aftermarket 17’’ set up and the Aluminium rims and tyres are performing pretty good so far. With the roads damaged from the recent rains, had couple of nasty instances where I hit a half feet deep pothole at around 50kmph and the the bike came out unfazed on both the occasions. Last week I rode along with my buddy in his Triumph Street Twin on the ECR covering 150kms, the ECR road beyond Mahabalipuram is in pretty bad shape due to rains and turned out to be an endurance test for the wheels. Both the Ceat Zoom XL and Apollo Alpha S1 tyre at both ends are offering excellent levels of grip and durability for my usage.

Distinctive lineup: Custom wrap, aftermarket end cans, 17'' wheels, full exhaust system, Ohlins shocks, hydraulic clutch & brake lever, handle bars and seats
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211205_07052301.jpeg

Contrasting ends of retro motorcycles
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211121_07074501.jpeg

Somewhere in the B-roads outside the city
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211204_06291101.jpeg

20,000kms service bill
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img20211025wa0005.jpg
Torino is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 19:11   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Crossed the 20,000 kms landmark last week. Got the bike serviced last month with 19,400 on the ODO at Kick Start garage and apart from the general service I had to replace the front sprocket, headlight bulb and the front brake pad. Attaching the service bill below. This time around I went for the Castrol Power1 Ultimate 10W50 engine oil. The Vesrah Ceramic brake pads at the front lasted 9000kms and got them replaced with Stock Brembo Sintered pads.
Congratulations on the 20k milestone! Are you not within 3 years of warranty? At least get the oil, oil filter & air filter changed at RE service to honor warranty. You seemed to be influenced with the Castrol engine oil. How are the disc rotors (plates)? Why you had to straighten the rear plate?

Regarding the front sprocket only change, it's always recommended to change the entire set of sprockets and chain together. This bike has DID chain.

Do you plan to change the fork oil? Or they feel fine for you.

Pardon me for the flurry of questions. My Interceptor is due for 2nd annual service in Jan '22. I plan to do only the oil, oil filter & air filter changed at RE service.

Fork oil, and brake oil bleed/refill (after checking with the fancy tester from Neil's post) I plan to do from a FNG. Tyres and brake pads seems to have enough life left, I'm closing in to 9k kms only!

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 14:03   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Congratulations on the 20k milestone! Are you not within 3 years of warranty? ...

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz

Thanks Surja! The 3 years warranty will expire in Feb 2022, living with the bike so far made me to be less worried about the warranty part for the rest of these last few months and hence the risk I'm taking. The rear disc rotor had a slight bend which is believed to have happened at the FNG during the 17'' conversion process.

Regarding the engine oil, no influence here, I wanted to try different brands just for the sake of it. So far I've tried the 10W50 grade stock HP, Total, Castrol and honestly they all feel the same after few 100kms of riding. Next in the try list is Motul in the similar price range. I simply stick to the grade, price and brand. Recently I noticed a 10W50 grade motorcycle engine oil at half the price from brand never heard before in Amazon, better to stay away from it, I believe the are repackaged and rebranded from China.

As for the front sprocket change, I'm aware its DID, left the replacement decision with the guys at the garage since I know and trust their experience and skill related to the 650 twins.

I had plans to go for a thicker fork oil specially to reduce the compression while braking for bumps and save some of the ground clearance I've lost with the 17'' conversion. But I wanted to cover some distance to know the behavior on the roads I'm riding. From the last 800kms of riding with the 17'' wheels I must say I should change to thicker fork oil during my next visit to the garage.
Torino is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 16:20   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the engine oil, no influence here, I wanted to try different brands just for the sake of it. So far I've tried the 10W50 grade stock HP, Total, Castrol and honestly they all feel the same after few 100kms of riding. Next in the try list is Motul in the similar price range. I simply stick to the grade, price and brand.

I had plans to go for a thicker fork oil specially to reduce the compression while braking for bumps and save some of the ground clearance I've lost with the 17'' conversion.
Great, you can add Shell Advance Long Ride to your list, Shell claims 6k kms interval to change the oil which is a good thing that they don't over claim it. I had picked it up from Shell bunk.

Regarding fork oil grade I'm also confused between 5W & 7.5W from say LiquiMoly.

Cheers,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 19:18   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Great, you can add Shell Advance Long Ride to your list, Shell claims 6k kms interval to change the oil which is a good thing that they don't over claim it. I had picked it up from Shell bunk.

Regarding fork oil grade I'm also confused between 5W & 7.5W from say LiquiMoly.

Cheers,
surjaonwheelz
An Interceptor owner I know switched from stock to 7.5W said the bike handles great but the feels a bit too harsh for our roads and plans to switch to 5W, he's a heavy built guy. Hope this helps in your decision between 5W & 7.5W.

6k service interval means is it semi synthetic? Please share the link. I couldn't find 10W50 grade. Also how much is it?
Torino is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 19:31   #192
BHPian

Quote:
An Interceptor owner I know switched from stock to 7.5W said the bike handles great but the feels a bit too harsh for our roads and plans to switch to 5W, he's a heavy built guy. Hope this helps in your decision between 5W & 7.5W.

6k service interval means is it semi synthetic? Please share the link. I couldn't find 10W50 grade. Also how much is it?
Thanks mate for the tip!

No it's fully synthetic oil. Refer the post on the main thread (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin). As I mentioned, I had got it over the counter at a Shell bunk, will check if it's still available. I didn't find any link to purchase it online. Shell also redirects to Malasiyan website but that's a different grade.

surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 19:39   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
As I mentioned, I had got it over the counter at a Shell bunk, will check if it's still available
Sir, there's no 10W50 in Shell, they only got 15W50. The 10W50 double Ester must be from Motul in 7100 series, which is fully synthetic.

Shell's 15W50 is also FS & very much suitable, provided the night temperature of the place where the bike is parked don't fall below 15 degrees everyday.

BTW, if you check & top up, if necessary, the FS oil every 1000 Km, the damn oil life goes much beyond 6K Km for sure

Last edited by aargee : 7th December 2021 at 19:40.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 21:44   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Sir, there's no 10W50 in Shell, they only got 15W50.

BTW, if you check & top up, if necessary, the FS oil every 1000 Km, the damn oil life goes much beyond 6K Km for sure
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211207_20550501.jpeg
I think, I was among a lucky few to grab a bottle last year! Which I got for the exact purpose stated above, to top-up. After the 2020 lock-down there was not much options available then!

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20211207_20554801.jpeg
It states, Made in India, so wonder why it's not available now! I even got a free chain lube.

Cheers,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 08:54   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think, I was among a lucky few to grab a bottle last year! Which I got for the exact purpose stated above, to top-up. After the 2020 lock-down there was not much options available then!
If you want I can make you even more luckier

The Shell pump near my house has loads of this stock; I now remember them trying to sell this to my CBR last month. I was in complete disbelief looking at this oil & couldn't find any useful specification. Their sales team kept repeating "FS" mantra the whole time, which was the only reason for me to lose interest in this as well

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks