Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2019, 20:58   #31
BHPian

Re: Ather S450 : Range, Charging & AtherGrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

For example - the AtherGrid location at Sahakara Nagar, North Bangalore -
Loved the detail review and was shocked to see an AtherGrid point in the by lane of Sahakaranagar. They should get it in a more prominent place, like More MegaStore.
Old 18th March 2019, 22:01   #32
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ather S450 : Range, Charging & AtherGrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
Loved the detail review and was shocked to see an AtherGrid point in the by lane of Sahakaranagar. They should get it in a more prominent place, like More MegaStore.
Current location is good IMHO. Since you are aware of the place - Torq92 is a premium motorcycle repair + accessories shop and they also have a cafe attached. A good setting for an Ather Point, rather than a crowded setup like More Megastore.

For example - the day I took the scooter from the owner, we rode from Madiwala till Sahakara Nagar and stopped at Torq92 for a topup. While the scooter was getting charged, we picked up coffee, rested for a while and soon were on our way again.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 13:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

re: Ather 450 Electric Scooter - Detailed Review

Does the Ather Grid charging station have only one point? What happens when multiple Ather bikes want to charge at the same time?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th March 2019 at 22:47. Reason: Other -> Ather
Old 19th March 2019, 14:45   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Does the Ather Grid charging station have only one point? What happens when multiple Ather bikes want to charge at the same time?
The one I used as example - has only one point. However, that's not the case everywhere. There are a couple of places with three points available, some with two etc.

Hopefully, the number of Grid locations may increase as more bikes hit the road.

Also - You can see real time in the app if a point is available, before heading to that location. For example -

Ather 450 Electric Scooter - Detailed Review-screenshot_20190319144728.png

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th March 2019 at 22:46.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 09:35   #35
BHPian

Ather seems to have tied up with Godrej Natures basket grocery store chain. They setup their first Ather grid charging point at Sadashivnagar outlet (Bangalore). Natures basket has total 35 stores in Bangalore, Mumbai and Pune cities. Its a win-win situation for both retail stores and Ather.

https://twitter.com/atherenergy/stat...07652523343872

Ather grid at Natures basket Sadashivnagar outlet:
Ather 450 Electric Scooter - Detailed Review-athergrid.jpg
sri_tesla is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 18:39   #36
BHPian

I believe it is a good vehicle but may still stay in the niche segment and may not make financial sense.

The range ANXIETY is very real and more importantly will lead to a lower battery life for someone whose usage is much lower. Let me explain:

Considering the range of 70 km per charge, let's say it makes sense for someone with a typical daily usage of 5 - 20 km with an occasional longer trip on few days. As an owner, one would want the battery to be full most of the time just in case you have a somewhat longer trip. Therefore, you charge the vehicle daily - which means you are using part of the battery life i.e. charge cycle to go from 70-80% to 100% every day / night. This would cause the battery life to deteriorate much quickly in the mileage lifecycle of the scooter.

Let us assume an average of 10 km per day. Therefore, for a 1000 charge-discharge cycles, the scooter would've run 10,000 km before needing a battery replacement. Assuming the battery life does not go down below 80% of normal life, one can try and extend the usage for another 5000 - 10,000 km. if willing to live with a much lower range thereafter.

Using ballpark estimates, a petrol scooter with all the maintenance may still work out to be cheaper and still have a 15-year life without any large expenses.
Old 20th March 2019, 19:34   #37
BHPian

I got my scooter a week ago and have completed around 350 km. The review covers most of the points, here is a summary of my experience

+ This is a conversation starter like none other. I get at least 1 person a day asking about it, what the range is, manufacturer name etc. This is from across the socio-economic spectrum, IT guys, salesmen, tempo drivers, blue collar workers, real estate agents etc
+ Performance : has been without complaint. In the city, it potters along without complaint, but when you twist the throttle, it leaps forward suprising most other riders. I went for a highway ride towards Hoskote and right from the point till KR Puram was at a constant 80+ speed and it performed flawlessly. High speed riding destroys the range, I started with 40 on the meter, by the time I reached the Ather office on 100 ft road, I'd done 25km but the remaining range had come down to 4 km
+ Range I count this as a +ve because I believe 70 km will satisfy 80% of the users out there. My commute is around 40km and hence is a daily charge for me. In April, my office shifts closer and my commute becomes 25 at which time, I will charge once in 2 days.

- Range, I really wish it was 20-30 km higher to be comfortable. One day, I had to run some errand on my way back which added an extra 15 km to my distance. I was down to single digits by the end and it was not a very happy experience.
- The side stand is a disaster. It does not inspire much confidence and with the lean angle, it takes almost 2 bike spaces. I wouldn't risk parking it in a metro station as it will irritate the fellow riders to no end
- The seat is uncomfortable AF. It should be level and not sloping forward. On longer riders, it is a pain in the backside. Luckily, it doesn't go very far...
- AtherGrid is a disappointment and they have to start getting their act together. In the whole of the arc of Koramangala, HSR and Marathahalli, there is not a single point. They also need to change the metrics for their goal, rather than one within 4 km, they should aim for one within a 10 minute ride

In summary
For the number crunchers out there, don't even bother. There is no way that this will ever make financial sense over buying a very good scooter like an Access or Jupiter. You'll never be able to ride it enough. You buy it because it is something new and different.

My first week has been positive, so positive that I haven't even touched my FZ25. But I can see a situation in a few months, where the mental load of having to constantly worry about the charge will get to me and I may just not use it as much. That is why I went for the lease option, because I have the option of giving it up ahead of time if it doesn't work out. I do hope it does though
jaganm is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 19:45   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishnb View Post
Therefore, you charge the vehicle daily - which means you are using part of the battery life i.e. charge cycle to go from 70-80% to 100% every day / night.
From whatever limited i know of Li-ion batteries - this is the best scenario. Losing charge is something these batteries hate, so running low (25% or less, for example) on power might be more harmful than having to recharge daily from 75% till 100%.

Please correct me if wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
The review covers most of the points, here is a summary of my experience
Congrats and wish you many happy miles ahead. Hope you are planning an ownership report.
Old 21st March 2019, 08:36   #39
Team-BHP Support

One owner has taken his Ather 450 all the way to Tirumala -

I've no clue how! (PS: He confirmed it was not on truck. )
Old 21st March 2019, 12:38   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

A detailed review as expected

In my 3 weeks of ownership, although it was not used for around 7 days, it has covered more than 600 Kms now. I went on a 120 Kms ride last weekend. I've gained some good (and bad) experiences in this period. I'm still writing my Ownership review and it should be ready by this weekend.

The guy who has taken the scooter to Tirupathi, has used his contacts in various places enroute (hero electric dealerships included) and charged it. Before that he had taken it to Kolar once, few times to Nandi Hills and also he is giving us a sense of all the charging grids around the city.

By the way the scooter name is just 450 somewhere after the initial S340 launch, the company decided to drop the S from the name. the Registration, the Insurance, the manual all has just 450 (or 340) mentioned. The title of the review may need to be changed IMO

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st March 2019 at 17:23. Reason: Thanks Hemanth. Small typo corrected. Titupathi -> Tirupathi
hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 15:11   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
A detailed review as expected.
Congrats on being a pioneer.

One query. Can't it be charged in any regular 5A/15A point by just using an adapter? Does it specifically need the Ather charging point?

If it could work on universal electrical points, long distance traveling should not be an issue.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st March 2019 at 18:03. Reason: As requested
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 17:25   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Congrats on being a pioneer.

One query. Can't it charged in any regular 5A/15A point by just using an adapter? Does it specifically need the Ather charging point?

If it could work on universal electrical points, long distance traveling should not be an issue.
The cable adapter is available an an optional accessory to buy and we can charge with any normal 5A plug. I have purchased it and only because of it I could complete a 120km ride last weekend. But it's not as easy as it seems too. Any small earthing issue, any small voltage issue and it will not charge.
I'll put down more details in my review...
hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 17:36   #43
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ather 450 Electric Scooter - Detailed Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
But it's not as easy as it seems too.
If possible - please also test the time taken using this portable charger when you prepare the review. Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing it might take more time than the Grid (obviously as it has fast charging) and home charging points.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 19:59   #44
Team-BHP Support

Business Standard reports that Ather Energy is scouting for a location to start a larger manufacturing unit (capacity of 5L to 10L units) to meet the supply requirements as it expands to new cities in the next four years.

Also planning to set up around 6,500 charging stations with an investment of around Rs 130 crore in the next four years.

Read more - https://wap.business-standard.com/ar...2100729_1.html
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 09:55   #45
BHPian

What a review! Take a bow Sujai sir! Rated 5 stars!
The Ather is a really great product. The only limiting factor I see is its range. But it is a great third vehicle in a garage for people like my mother who do not travel very far.
Are the low and high beams good? Please send shots of the same.

Most Viewed